PDA

View Full Version : 4e: Infernal Pact

Dhavaer
2008-06-08, 07:22 PM
I'm having a slight bit of NERD RAGE!!!1!oneleven over the fact that tieflings don't make very good infernal pact warlocks, instead, being better at fey pacts. Would it unbalance things at all to base infernal powers off Charisma instead of Constitution?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-08, 07:25 PM
Doesn't seem like it would. If anything, it would be weaker, as you'd get less HP and healing surges.

Maybe give the players a choice between the stats, a la Eldritch blast?

Daracaex
2008-06-08, 07:39 PM
I'd houserule that only for Tieflings, though, if only to preserve the rules as much as possible.

Moff Chumley
2008-06-08, 08:41 PM
Sounds like a sound idea, and I'd even go so far as to offer a bonus to something for any Teifling that played an IPW.

hamishspence
2008-06-09, 07:00 AM
I'd prefer to come up with an explanation. Like: tieflings ALREADY made a pact with the Hells long ago. Because of this, they don't get quite as much out of making more Hellish pacts.

HeirToPendragon
2008-06-09, 09:51 AM
If you want to play a Warlock... go Half-Elf. They are amazing as warlocks

Pyroconstruct
2008-06-09, 10:01 AM
Half-elves are only arguably good as Star Pact - and even that's debatable. Cha+Con is useless for Fey Pact, which is all Cha, and Infernal pact, which is all Con. Also, all warlocks need Int secondarily, because a bunch of their power "special effects," in particular the pact powers, run off of int, so if you try to have both Cha and Con, your Int suffers and you lose out on a lot.

And yeah, I was disappointed too when I realized that Tieflings were good at every type of warlock but infernal.

hamishspence
2008-06-09, 02:05 PM
Like I suggested, they could have got stuff in the first hellpact, but the devils don't hand out quite so much when they make more pacts. Okay-ish explanation?

FoE
2008-06-09, 03:08 PM
Not my take on it, but this other guy came up with this.

They're no worse off than half the other races (including a human who took +2 to Con) at infernal pacts, but they can also take Hellfire Blood, which makes up for it and puts them ahead of the other races.
It also puts them ahead of anyone else if they take spells with the Fire and Fear keywords that rely on Charisma (such as Dread Star and Witchfire).