PDA

View Full Version : [Arcana Evolved - 3.5] Advice and comments needed concerning a new feat.

Werewindlefr
2008-06-08, 10:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm currently DMing a long-term Arcana Evolved campaign (although it has just started and the PCs are still around level 2) and a new player is joining it. She's rolling a character - a Mageblade, which could be described as a fighter-wizard hybrid - and in order to give it a distinctive "flavor", she'd like to make her martial abilities based on speed. In other words, she'd like her character to wield a two-handed sword in a fast (and reasonably accurate) fashion, instead of relying on brute strength. The concept is somewhat similar to the way Geralt fights in "The Witcher".
In order to reflect this, I was thinking of creating a series of feats or a series of spell (or even maybe both) which would give her extra actions; this is just an example, although it's probably the most obvious one.
In order to have those feats/spells feat my campaign setting and gameplay style, I'm trying to have most (if not all) the following conditions fulfilled:
-They must not make other spells or feats obsolete. I'm not really into gameplay balance, but when it's completely lacking it hurts suspension of disbelief.
-They must have a downside, or even better, there must be a price to pay for it. It could be giving up a turn to prepare and fire up the power, or fatigue, or a self-damaging side-effect. I like the "power has a price" concept.
-Even if I make several version for different level (like linear series of feats), I'd like the first versions to still be useful at later levels.

The current prototype is a series of 4 feats:
-The first one allows the player to give up one turn to get an additional attack at her highest BAB for the next 3 turns, as long as she takes full attacks actions.
-The second one extends the duration to 6 turns.
-The third one raises the number of additional attacks to 2, but only for 3 turns.
-The fourth one is like the 3rd but with a duration of 6 turns.

I've got little experience with homebrewing (I am usually better at nerfing and refusing options to my players :p), and I'd like your comments/suggestion. Both I and the concerned player would like to thank you :).

JoshuaZ
2008-06-08, 11:58 PM
Have you looked at the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)class? It has some aspects of what you might be looking for.

Daracaex
2008-06-09, 12:39 AM
Have you looked at the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)class? It has some aspects of what you might be looking for.

Read the label on the thread. He's looking for Arcana Evolved, not D&D.

I'm sorry, but while I do have the Arcana Evolved book, I've never managed to game with it and am not as familiar with how it balances. I wish I could help more.

HydwenPrydain
2008-06-09, 01:29 AM
Sounds like a cool character idea. Well, there's Rapid Strike from Arcana Unearthed that already does this. You could build off that, perhaps something like:

Rapid Strike, Greater

Prerequisites Dex 17+, Weapon focus and specialization with the chosen weapon, Rapid strike, base attack bonus +7 or higher

EffectWhen you use your Rapid strike, you may now take two additional attacks instead of one at half your highest base attack.

or maybe also something like:

Strike on the Run

Prerequisites Dex 17+, Weapon focus and specialization with the chosen weapon, Rapid strike, base attack bonus +7 or higher

Effect You may now activate your Rapid Strike feat when you attack as a standard action or at the end of a charge, gaining one additional attack at half your highest attack bonus as per Rapid Strike.

or perhaps:

Dazzling Strikes

Prerequisites Strike on the Run OR Rapid Strike, Greater

Effect Whenever you use any of your Rapid Strike feats, creatures within 30 ft. must pass a will save (DC= your attack roll for your first rapid strike attack) or be dazzled for 1d3 rounds.

Extra Rapid Strikes

Prerequisites Rapid Strike

Effect You gain 3 additional uses of Rapid Strike per day, +1/3 character levels.

Alternatively, there's always Unique Spell to develop a 3.5 version of Haste, perhaps with diminished effects of "Range:Personal" and "Target: you"
and heightened effects of duration 1 min/level?

Werewindlefr
2008-06-09, 07:55 AM
Thanks for your answer. Rapid Strike is indeed in the book, and I should have considered using it. Does anyone have an idea how to tweak the feat to remove the "x/day" limitation and put another limitation instead?
The feats you've designed are very cool :smallsmile:

JoshuaZ
2008-06-09, 09:49 AM
Read the label on the thread. He's looking for Arcana Evolved, not D&D.

Hence my statement that it has aspects that he might be looking for as opposed to "you should take this class." The point was that aspects of the class could like be adopted for his purposes.

HydwenPrydain
2008-06-09, 05:05 PM
Thanks. Another good feat would be Speed Burst, for an extra move action.

An alternate penalty...hmm... -2 to-hit maybe when you use it? Hit penalties risk making her just miss a lot of attacks though, like monks, and also makes it more abusable if, say, a Warmain wants to take those feats...