PDA

View Full Version : Ctrl+Alt+Del webcomic on 4e

Zocelot
2008-06-09, 07:14 AM
I don't know the copywright laws, so I'm not going to post the comic. Heres a link though, it's direct.

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20080609

bosssmiley
2008-06-09, 07:29 AM
Cheap and lazy strawman argument? Business as normal at Ctrl-Alt-Del then (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20080227). They're getting as bad as Shredded Moose (competent art married to lazy commentary and poor humour). :smallannoyed:

Your Webcomic is Bad... on Ctrl-Alt-Del (http://badwebcomics.blogspot.com/2007/06/ctrlaltdel.html)

Kazuel
2008-06-09, 07:53 AM
Cheap and lazy strawman argument? Business as normal at Ctrl-Alt-Del then (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20080227). They're getting as bad as Shredded Moose (competent art married to lazy commentary and poor humour). :smallannoyed:

Your Webcomic is Bad... on Ctrl-Alt-Del (http://badwebcomics.blogspot.com/2007/06/ctrlaltdel.html)

I think that's a little harsh, ctrl-alt-del has always been pretty funny. Sometimes it's humor can fall on the other side of crude and low brow, but it's still a decent strip.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-09, 07:53 AM
Haha, good comic. Made me chuckle.

Scintillatus
2008-06-09, 07:56 AM
Penny Arcade did it first, and funnier, as they say. Mr Franzibald doesn't even know that level 1 characters -can- fight dragons, now.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-09, 08:01 AM
I thought that comic was funny (I never saw the Penny Arcade one, though). The 4th Edition must be poor if people don't even get saving throws to avoid having their brains eaten. :smalltongue:

Learnedguy
2008-06-09, 08:41 AM

Wow, that was probably the worst biased **** I've ever read. What did CAD do to deserve that guys ire:smallconfused:?

Tengu
2008-06-09, 08:44 AM
It's John Salomon. He breathes poison and his piss is pure arsenic.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-09, 08:53 AM
Plus, Ctrl+Alt+Del is a dull, derivative comic anyway. It's not even fun to mock.

Take this strip for example. Where's the joke? Seriously. Wow, people violently overreact to a new edition of Dungeons & Dragons? Other people violently overreact back? Wow, what a keen insight, Tim. I'd never have noticed such silliness without your cutting satire.

Alright, alright. It's a little fun to mock.

Jayabalard
2008-06-09, 09:15 AM
Penny Arcade did it first, and funnier, as they say. Mr Franzibald doesn't even know that level 1 characters -can- fight dragons, now./shrug He claims to have never played D&D ever, 4e or otherwise, so that it's not really surprising that he wouldn't know that.

That's not a strawman... there are really are people who come across that way on gaming forums... hell, there are people who come across that way on this forum.

Your Webcomic is Bad... on Ctrl-Alt-Del (http://badwebcomics.blogspot.com/2007/06/ctrlaltdel.html)That blog is garbage. The lame poo slinging after Sandman's comments are far more entertaining than the "review" itself.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-09, 09:17 AM
I think people are just sore because he is lampooning the kind of thing that is going on here with both extremes going nuts.

Take a step back, take a deep breath... and laugh. Its good for you. :smallsmile:

Reinforcements
2008-06-09, 09:17 AM
Zocelot, you have made me break my nearly year-long stretch of completely avoiding CAD - and I will never forgive you.

Jimp
2008-06-09, 09:35 AM
I know that ctrl alt del is one of the worst webcomics out there (in my opinion a least) but that strip was a particularly bad one. You can replace 'D&D 4th edition' with '[any game] [any edition]'. Hooray for template humour!

Morty
2008-06-09, 09:41 AM
I think people are just sore because he is lampooning the kind of thing that is going on here with both extremes going nuts.

Take a step back, take a deep breath... and laugh. Its good for you. :smallsmile:

No, I think people just don't like the author using two huge strawmen -noone actually acts that way- to make fun of both "sides" of the discussion but failing at being funny in any way.

Ned the undead
2008-06-09, 09:47 AM
Remeber that Tim is a newbie at the game table when it comes to DnD. He even mentions on his website that with all the stuff on 4e buzzing around that now looks like a good time to get into it.

Kurald Galain
2008-06-09, 09:47 AM
I think that's a little harsh, ctrl-alt-del has always been pretty funny.
Are we talking about the same comic here? CAD has been yawn-inducingly boring and exceedingly poorly written for pretty much its entire run, and the art is nothing special either. It ranks close to DD in my top ten of "worst webcomics ever". Perhaps you should read what YWIBAYSFB has to say about it :smallyuk:

Yes, that's what I read OOTS for :smallbiggrin: it has the advantage of being actually funny.

Ganurath
2008-06-09, 09:49 AM
Wow, that was probably the worst biased **** I've ever read. What did CAD do to deserve that guys ire:smallconfused:?It was written by Tim Buckley.

As for the comic's review itself: Arguments against 4e do not work that way! Goodnight!

Solo
2008-06-09, 09:53 AM
Are we talking about the same comic here? CAD has been yawn-inducingly boring and exceedingly poorly written for pretty much its entire run, and the art is nothing special either. It ranks close to DD in my top ten of "worst webcomics ever". Perhaps you should read what YWIBAYSFB has to say about it :smallyuk:

Is there any webcomic YWIBAYSFB likes?

Ganurath
2008-06-09, 09:57 AM
Is there any webcomic YWIBAYSFB likes?The webcomics YWIBAYSFM doesn't mention?

Kurald Galain
2008-06-09, 10:00 AM

Well, yes. Those are the ones he doesn't write about :smallsmile:

I also read a lengthy blog post from an actual published author that said that yes, YWIBAYSFD is completely right (if rather tactless). That's because, in designing or writing anything, the moment you stop listening to criticism is the exact moment where you stop improving yourself - and that means that you're either careless or conceited, and neither is a positive trait for an artist.

Chronicled
2008-06-09, 10:02 AM

Yes, that's what I read OOTS for :smallbiggrin: it has the advantage of being actually funny.

+1 and a hearty +1 at that.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-09, 10:04 AM
Penny Arcade is well regarded. Probably.

Ned the undead
2008-06-09, 10:04 AM
It was written by Tim Buckley.

As for the comic's review itself: Arguments against 4e do not work that way! Goodnight!

It's not an argument. It's supposed to show frustration at those who are barely giving 4e a chance before bashing it to kingdom come.

Chronicled
2008-06-09, 10:09 AM

They've given Dresden Codak a fair enough review, and said that with some work it could be top notch (which is about as nice as they're going to get).

Well, yes. Those are the ones he doesn't write about :smallsmile:

This is exactly correct, in YWIBAYSFB's own words. I think their rationale was that otherwise, both YWIBAYSFB's comment boards will be full of people critiquing the webcomics it claims as good, and the YWIBAYSFB haters will go to troll those webcomic message boards. Or that they were too selfish to share, I can't remember :smallwink:.

elliott20
2008-06-09, 10:11 AM
CAD is a pretty awful comic. the humor is thoroughly derivative and quite frankly I've never seen a cast of less sympathetic characters in my life. (how it managed to run for so long is anybody's guess)

RationalGoblin
2008-06-09, 10:14 AM
Okay, this is what gets me annoyed about that particular strip. It says basically "It isn't good anymore!" Anymore means the person saying that has been playing D&D for a while. Anyone who's played D&D for more then a session or two should know that you don't have to fight dragons in D&D every single session.

Tokiko Mima
2008-06-09, 10:14 AM
"Har har Har! 4e is chicken and 3.5e is road! Har har har! Is funny!"

I think the joke was more about annoying reactionary people, and had little if anything to do with D&D editions at all. True it wasn't hilarious, but it was approximately equal to most other CAD comics out there in humorous content. If you didn't like this CAD comic then you probably won't like the rest of them, and vice versa.

valadil
2008-06-09, 10:18 AM
Zocelot, you have made me break my nearly year-long stretch of completely avoiding CAD - and I will never forgive you.

*shrug* I appreciate the occasional reminder for why I stopped reading CAD.

nagora
2008-06-09, 10:39 AM
Okay, this is what gets me annoyed about that particular strip. It says basically "It isn't good anymore!" Anymore means the person saying that has been playing D&D for a while. Anyone who's played D&D for more then a session or two should know that you don't have to fight dragons in D&D every single session.

You need to read that comic again: it's not saying anything about 4ed at all; it's making fun of a certain type of player.

Perhap's you're feeling over-sensitive about something?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-09, 10:59 AM
B^Uckley strikes again!

Was there a joke in that comic?

Also, wrong forum.

Cainen
2008-06-09, 11:08 AM
Perhap's you're feeling over-sensitive about something?

It's called B^Uckley violating my senses with stupidity. Again.

Indon
2008-06-09, 11:42 AM
I was amused by the webcomic.

I'm also rather amused by the vitriol certain webcomics recieve, as it really seems like a similar kind of phenomenon - which makes it amusing in a rather poetic way.

That said, I'm not entirely sure this should be in the gaming forum.

Lord Seth
2008-06-09, 12:08 PM
Is there any webcomic YWIBAYSFB likes?Well, he lightly praises Penny Arcade on a few occasions. He praises it best in his review of Cartridge Comics:

"These idiots, like so many other idiots, do it because Penny Arcade does it. They do it without realising the drastic difference between themselves and PA's Holkins and Krahulik: both Holkins and Krahulik are competent at what they do. Holkins can pen a good three-panel joke, Krahulik can draw quite well.He also hints he may like Order of the Stick in his "Cheshire Crossing" review:

It has been said on this blog several times: Good writing can save bad art. What has not yet been said is the nuance, and that is that these good writers understand the limitations of their art, some even having chosen these limitations, and make up for it by actually knowing things about panel composition and timing, as well as making their writing not only fit these limitations but sometimes even take advantage of them. Perhaps it hasn't been said yet because it's so ****ing obvious, but if you don't understand this as you upload your 'ironically bad' pixellated stickman comics to DrunkDuck thinking that they'll be the next Order of the Stick, then you just might not have the good writing to save your bad art, or even good writing at all.

I'm not sure why CAD gets all the flak it gets. Yeah, it has problems, but at worst it's unfunny and bland, and does sometimes have some decent jokes. In terms of badness, it's nothing like comics like Shredded Moose, which are unfunny, bland, almost never funny (if they're funny at all) and have further problems (in Shredded Moose's case, being horribly misogynistic).

Roderick_BR
2008-06-09, 12:36 PM
"Har har Har! 4e is chicken and 3.5e is road! Har har har! Is funny!"

I think the joke was more about annoying reactionary people, and had little if anything to do with D&D editions at all. True it wasn't hilarious, but it was approximately equal to most other CAD comics out there in humorous content. If you didn't like this CAD comic then you probably won't like the rest of them, and vice versa.

I agree. It's not about rules or whatever (we can clearly see the author doesn't play it, he's just making up a scene), it's just a bunch of people finding reason to complain.
And the comic about forums are pretty much accurate.

And aside from the pot-induced lazy eyes, I found the comics quite funny, just a bit weak on the jokes, that are, in it's majority, "teens are dumb/lazy/irresponsible" stereotype jokes.

Hal
2008-06-09, 12:43 PM
Jeebus, but you people have high standards for your free entertainment.

I laughed. After reading all the posts from people just looking for reasons to hate 4E, how can you not?

Myatar_Panwar
2008-06-09, 12:45 PM

Seriously. Two clicks and your reading a comic. Your done in 30 seconds or less. And its free.

JMobius
2008-06-09, 12:47 PM
This strip is sort of a wallbanger when juxtaposed against the plotline its interrupting, which was itself a massive wallbanger.

Xyk
2008-06-09, 12:49 PM
I agree with SamtheCleric. It's okay, it's just a game, don't take it personally. I read that comic regularly and it's pretty good other than that one crappy chef kid whose name I forget. I laughed at this one due to reading these forums. I am also looking forward to 4e but I like change.

Cyclone231
2008-06-09, 01:35 PM
Jeebus, but you people have high standards for your free entertainment. Is CAD any better because it's free? Would it be any less enjoyable if it cost money? I say nay. A work is good, or a work is bad - its cost does not factor into this equation.

Though I'd probably feel worse if I spent money to read CAD, if only because it'd be a complete waste of valuable resources.
I laughed. After reading all the posts from people just looking for reasons to hate 4E, how can you not?Easy. CAD can take a perfectly good, or even great, idea for a joke and totally and utterly ruin it. That is Buckley's talent.

Friv
2008-06-09, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure why CAD gets all the flak it gets. Yeah, it has problems, but at worst it's unfunny and bland, and does sometimes have some decent jokes. In terms of badness, it's nothing like comics like Shredded Moose, which are unfunny, bland, almost never funny (if they're funny at all) and have further problems (in Shredded Moose's case, being horribly misogynistic).

Because it is a very popular comic, for reasons that are not entirely clear to people who feel that it is unfunny, poorly-drawn, and generally lacking in any good reason for reading.

It's like Everybody Loves Raymond. There's lots of TV out there worse than that show, but they're not popular TV, so you don't see anyone making jokes about them.

elliott20
2008-06-09, 03:31 PM
well, I took a look at Shredded Moose, just out of morbid curiosity. And I think that **** just gave me cancer.

Tokiko Mima
2008-06-09, 04:30 PM
...And if anyone is really upset by the 4th edition content in CAD, just apply the CAD Rule (http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/CTRL_ALT_Delete#The_CAD_Rule) and be done with it. :smallwink:

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-09, 04:38 PM
That's not a strawman... there are really are people who come across that way on gaming forums... hell, there are people who come across that way on this forum.

{Scrubbed}

That blog is garbage. The lame poo slinging after Sandman's comments are far more entertaining than the "review" itself.

John Solomon is a hero amongst men, and you should feel bad.

...And if anyone is really upset by the 4th edition content in CAD, just apply the CAD Rule (http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/CTRL_ALT_Delete#The_CAD_Rule) and be done with it. :smallwink:

{Scrubbed}

Tengu
2008-06-09, 04:49 PM
{Scrubbed}

Such travesty.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-09, 05:17 PM
*shrug* I appreciate the occasional reminder for why I stopped reading CAD.

Same here. It was pretty good for a long time, but it's just not worth reading anymore. And hasn't been for a couple of years.

JMobius
2008-06-09, 05:23 PM
Or how CAD {Scrubbed}

Worth noting that that link is NSFW.

Chronicled
2008-06-09, 05:36 PM
Is CAD any better because it's free? Would it be any less enjoyable if it cost money? I say nay. A work is good, or a work is bad - its cost does not factor into this equation.

Though I'd probably feel worse if I spent money to read CAD, if only because it'd be a complete waste of valuable resources.Easy. CAD can take a perfectly good, or even great, idea for a joke and totally and utterly ruin it. That is Buckley's talent.

Time is a valuable resource--one of the MOST valuable resources. And it is thoroughly wasted when reading CAD.

As Monty Oum said about his movies:
The first thing that comes to mind about the production of this vid is how much I wanted to give you the viewer more. I've described it heartfully many times as "bang for buck" or "giving the viewer their money's worth." What's that you say? "Oh silly Monty, why worry about giving me my money's worth for something that totally free? You so crazy!" Wellllll, I find it funny these days, how it seems that free still isn't quite free enough anymore, things like time and attention is a value that's hard to give up to just anything.

Admiral Squish
2008-06-09, 05:48 PM
I started reading this thread, and was at first concerned with the negative response to CAD. Then I realized that I'm not going suddenly start disliking it because of a bunch of people on a forum, no matter how much I enjoy the community. I personally enjoy CAD, and found his portrayal of some of the less-informed members of the 4e-hater crowd pretty durn accurate, considering the sort of thing I've seen on some of the less-intellectual boards.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-09, 05:56 PM
Also:

Another nice feature is the fact that there is a lot less downtime for certain characters. Clerics won't sit around waiting for someone to heal anymore, as they have pretty much something they could do each round.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Turcano
2008-06-09, 05:58 PM

Besides the fact that it's a bad webcomic that's inexplicably popular (kind of like The Inheritance Trilogy), a lot of the hate is directed at the cartoonist himself, who has apparently made it his mission in life to become the most unwarrantedly self-important douchebag in the world.

TV is free, and I have standards for that, too.

CAD can take a perfectly good, or even great, idea for a joke and totally and utterly ruin it. That is Buckley's talent.

So, does that make Buckley the Lulzkiller?

namo
2008-06-09, 06:13 PM
Time is a valuable resource--one of the MOST valuable resources. And it is thoroughly wasted when reading CAD.

Oh, the irony* !

* to read this post I had to go through a thread which like many other threads is not really worth one's time when you stop to think about it**

** yes, explaining the irony kills it.:smallamused:

Ulrichomega
2008-06-09, 06:44 PM
I started reading this thread, and was at first concerned with the negative response to CAD. Then I realized that I'm not going suddenly start disliking it because of a bunch of people on a forum, no matter how much I enjoy the community. I personally enjoy CAD, and found his portrayal of some of the less-informed members of the 4e-hater crowd pretty durn accurate, considering the sort of thing I've seen on some of the less-intellectual boards.

Agreed, CAD is far from a bad webcomic, and is one of the only ones that I read on a regular basis.

The reason, I think, that most people hate the comic is that Buckley's humor is slightly different from most people's. Therefore, the few people who don't like make hundreds of posts on how they hate it, and other people, thinking that it is the common opinion, jump on the bandwagon.

CAD is a good comic. Whether you think so or not is of no consequence to me. I enjoy it and its characters. They are much deeper than most give them credit for (especially compared to most comics that I read/have heard of), and have motives and goals that I can see real people (well, except for Ethan) having.

Also, that one blog entry is one of the biggest piles of **** that I have ever seen in my entire life.

Chronicled
2008-06-09, 07:03 PM
Oh, the irony* !

* to read this post I had to go through a thread which like many other threads is not really worth one's time when you stop to think about it**

** yes, explaining the irony kills it.:smallamused:

And yet, the irony is still funny. :smallamused:

Seriously though, if I'm going to read a webcomic, I want it to be a worthwhile one. There's lots (ok, not that many, but enough) of good ones out there; unfortunately a lot of people encounter webcomics like CAD or DD and stick with them, not knowing about the really good artists/writers out there. (I was in this boat myself a while back.)

ArmorArmadillo
2008-06-09, 07:12 PM
CAD is okay. I mean, it's not great, but it's funny sometimes.

Also, the webcomic on Internet forums was actually good, and it's not a strawman argument, whether or not you agree with it.

Also, that blog is stupid. The author is a vitriolic moron who acts like by ripping everything and everyone to shreds than he must be smart.

Khanderas
2008-06-10, 02:27 AM
I know that ctrl alt del is one of the worst webcomics out there (in my opinion a least) but that strip was a particularly bad one. You can replace 'D&D 4th edition' with '[any game] [any edition]'. Hooray for template humour!
So do many say. But youknow how bad can it be if he manages to keep so many people reading it ? Frankly I smiled alittle at that strip, thought of a few threads on theese forums and thought, while exaggerated, those people exist. Any game, Any edition ? Yes. Kinda the point as I understand it. It was mocking ppl who complain for no real and valid reason, going over the top over nothing.

I read the comic farily often myself and sometimes it is good, while rarely genious (like vgcats). I don't quite see how it is the worst webcomic on the web really. I read the arguments, but as long as it makes me smile alittle once in a while its fine. It isn't deep, but it does not pretend to be.

The reason, I think, that most people hate the comic is that Buckley's humor is slightly different from most people's. Therefore, the few people who don't like make hundreds of posts on how they hate it, and other people, thinking that it is the common opinion, jump on the bandwagon. I think bandwagon is a very large part of this here. Not so sure on most people, since the strip is doing quite well to be frank.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-10, 02:59 AM
So do many say. But youknow how bad can it be if he manages to keep so many people reading it ?

Really, really bad. Seriously. Most people like very insipid things.

I'm amazed that this is news to anyone - I thought everyone knew memes like cutting off all but the first and last panel of CAD strips to make them better, etc. And seriously, they don't have a discernible joke. That D&D strip. Where's the joke?

Uec
2008-06-10, 03:41 AM
I don't post very often, but it happens that I read here

I found the comic hillarious for that one simple reason.. I see half the people in this thread being just that reactionary about 4ed in other threads

Essentially, half the people on this board (okay, slight exaggeration.. half the people posting in 4ed threads) is in that comic!

Tom_Violence
2008-06-10, 05:21 PM
Yeah, CAD is terrible. I don't think I can remember the last time it made me laugh, and for some reason I've read every strip to date. Its written by a guy who is just simply unfunny, and has a terrible sense of humour. The jokes are not only bad, but they're stale as well. They're frigging ancient even! The timing is completely out of whack, and as if using fossilised jokes wasn't bad enough, he overuses them so many times that they've even become repetitive. The internet forum joke and the recent DnD one were bad when they were first done, and that was about 2 million years ago. Who cares if you can 'relate to it'? I'm shocked that these jokes haven't occured Buckley's audience already! God knows they seem awful familiar to me.

Gamgee
2008-06-10, 05:28 PM
I think this is relevant, very very relevant heh heh heh. http://www.duelinganalogs.com/comic/2008/02/11/the-control-alt-delete-theorem/

Edit
Suckers.... heh heh.

zeratul
2008-06-10, 05:30 PM
I've always considered CAD and OOTS about euqally good, they are however very different styles of comedy, and tend to draw different readers. frankly the person who wrote it seems like he's just one of those people who writes big angry tactless reveiws just to get noticed. Of which there are many (just search your TV and the internet and you should be able to find one just like it.)

Caracol
2008-06-10, 05:56 PM

Somewhere in a post, he states something regarding OOTS, in a not-bad way. This would mean that he likes OOTS, or doesn't dislike it at least.

I think Solomon is kinda against the webcomics in general. He dumps his anger on the whole "webcomic" phenomenon, and chooses his victims among poorly written ones, expecially if they're famous like CAD.

And YES, I like his blog. It may be vulgar, but seriously, not that much compared to the stuff you see around. It's not these boards, it's his own blog, so I don't understand the people that says "He shouldn't say those things". And, somewhere between the swears and the distrubing comparisons, you can actually found some costructive criticism.

And CAD is becoming terrible. The "Pregnat Lilah storyline" is so bad is funny(in the wrong way).

Caracol
2008-06-10, 06:04 PM
I think this is relevant, very very relevant heh heh heh. http://www.duelinganalogs.com/comic/2008/02/11/the-control-alt-delete-theorem/

Edit
Suckers.... heh heh.

Solomon has pretty things to say about DA, too.

Also, the bad feedback that CAD made was one of the things that made me realize that it wasn't that great, unlike that guy says.

Indon
2008-06-10, 06:09 PM
Because it is a very popular comic, for reasons that are not entirely clear to people who feel that it is unfunny, poorly-drawn, and generally lacking in any good reason for reading.

It's like Everybody Loves Raymond. There's lots of TV out there worse than that show, but they're not popular TV, so you don't see anyone making jokes about them.

Besides the fact that it's a bad webcomic that's inexplicably popular (kind of like The Inheritance Trilogy),

Really, really bad. Seriously. Most people like very insipid things.

Yeah, CAD is terrible.

Any game, Any edition ? Yes. Kinda the point as I understand it. It was mocking ppl who complain for no real and valid reason, going over the top over nothing.

I think it's about more than just tabletop games. Not the comic itself, but the phenomenon the comic looks at. And in my view, that is what makes it funny.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-06-10, 06:33 PM
And YES, I like his blog. It may be vulgar, but seriously, not that much compared to the stuff you see around. It's not these boards, it's his own blog, so I don't understand the people that says "He shouldn't say those things". And, somewhere between the swears and the distrubing comparisons, you can actually found some costructive criticism.

He may have some good points, but his kind of writing is more objectively bad than any webcomic he criticizes.

It contributes to a horrible kind of literary/film/comic criticism in which people lead with elitism and use insulting language as a crutch to prop themselves in the cloak of authority.
And saying he's less vulgar than most blogs is like saying that someone stinks less than most sewers.