PDA

View Full Version : need help composing a spell list (sorc)...

Brother Numsie
2008-06-09, 10:48 AM
Hi, I'm in need of some help (as always)... I need help building a spell list for a friend... she just made a sorcerer and the idiot that is me said I could help... I don't know anything about casters...

She's a lesser version Assimar (never can get this name right), with the Half-Fey and Draconic Creature templates... she's playing a sorcerer currently at level 17 with full LA buy-off, she's got CL 17, and a total charisma score of 36 (18 base. +8 for racial+templates, +6 for cloak, +4 level increases)... she wants to play as a blaster type caster with some utility as well...

any ideas?

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-09, 10:56 AM
Conjurations tend to avoid SR, so they could be good choice fo blasting (Orb of Force is a good pick). Some battlefield controls like Black Tentacles and Freezing Fog could be useful, along with protective spells such as Mirror Image and Fly. Feeblemind is great for combatting other Arcane spellcasters, along with a couple of Save-or-Die spells.

Iku Rex
2008-06-09, 11:18 AM
Books available?
Feats?
Any PrCs?

insecure
2008-06-09, 11:30 AM
The orb spells from complete arcane are good, disintegrate for a save-or-die spell, or weird for a mass save-or-die, and meteor swarm would be mine suggestions.

Solo
2008-06-09, 11:43 AM
You all know what I'm going to say by now.

valadil
2008-06-09, 11:46 AM
Here's what I remember of a spell list I had quite a bit of fun with. It's more utility based than what you want but can blast quite happily with just a few spells and a bunch of metamatic (I was an incantatrix with residual metamagic).

1)
Magic Missile
True Cast (CM)
Ray of Enfeeblement
Shield
Grease

2)
Glitterdust
Scorching Ray
Mirror Image
Baleful Transposition
False Life

3)
Fireball
Ray of Exhaustion (would have preferred slow or haste)
Stinking Cloud
Greater Mage Armor

4)
Slashing Dispel
Defenstrating sphere
Dim Door

5)
Baleful polymorph
Wall of Force

I really wanted freezing fog, but the stinking cloud and grease were starting to irritate the melees. I also banned necro after taking incantatrix. Since you're starting at level 17 you could take incantatrix starting at level 9 and get some 4th level necro spells. I really wanted to have fear (especially since I had sculpt spell). For damage I did empowered fireball and scorching ray repeatedly to take advantage of residual metamagic. Being able to cast all your 5s and as many 3s as empowered fireballs followed by all your 4s and just as many 2s as empowered scorching rays leads to many, many rounds of blasty damage if that's your thing. Heighten spell was also key.

Curmudgeon
2008-06-09, 09:58 PM
You'll want to make use of imarvintpa's Find Spells (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/FindSpell.asp) search engine. You first restrict the search to Sorcerer spells, then select the criteria you're interested in. You can find spells that affect areas, with various types of saving throws, or look for strings like "10d6" and "15d6" in the "Full Description keyword" field to find the blaster spells.

Solo
2008-06-10, 11:09 AM
Solo's Stupendously Superior Spell Slinger (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=11312)

monty
2008-06-10, 04:17 PM
Solo's Stupendously Superior Spell Slinger (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=11312)

All right, Solo made his suggestion, we can all leave now.