PDA

View Full Version : Roll-over or dicepool Superheros?

Count D20
2008-06-09, 03:34 PM
I want to buy a super hero game but i am having a problem.
I can't quite get the roll under skill stat systems that are common.
(GURPS, tri-stat dx)
what are the universal or supers games in print that have you roll over something or roll a pool of dice?

Iku Rex
2008-06-09, 03:41 PM
How about the d20 based Mutants and Masterminds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutants_and_Masterminds).

puppyavenger
2008-06-09, 03:45 PM
(GURPS, tri-stat dx)
what are the universal or supers games in print that have you roll over something or roll a pool of dice?

you might want to try Mutants and Masterminds, it's a barely recognizable d20 variant made entirely for supper-heroes.

HidaTsuzua
2008-06-09, 04:39 PM
You could also just reverse the TNs. For example for Hero, it's easy. Swap 11 and 10, 12 and 9, 13 and 8, 14 and 7, 15 and 6, 16 and 5, 17 and 4, 18 and 3. Now you want to roll high. Personally, I'm curious as to why you can't get roll-under systems. I've heard of people with that issue but never understood the reason.

Irreverent Fool
2008-06-09, 05:19 PM
you might want to try Mutants and Masterminds, it's a barely recognizable d20 variant made entirely for supper-heroes.

Supper-heroes! Captain Porkchop and the Baked Potatoes have defeated the evil Prince Lima Bean yet again.

I have to vouch for M&M as well. I only recently picked it up and have been looking it over. It's different enough from the d20 you're probably familiar with that it will DEFINITELY not feel like more of the same, but the skill system is similar enough that you don't have to try to wrap your head around something new. I have no information for you regarding your actual question though. :smallredface:

Ravyn
2008-06-09, 10:03 PM
I'm rather partial to Aberrant myself, but it can be a bear to find and there are a few minor balance issues.

PnP Fan
2008-06-10, 12:34 AM
I'll vouch for Mutants and Masterminds 2.0.
Best Super Hero game out there, in my opinion.
Loved the Aberrant setting, but there are balance issues galore, and you'll need to get a communal bucket-o-d10's in order to play.
Do not go anywhere near the d20 adaptation of Aberrant. If you even find a copy you should buy it, then burn it. ;-)
Something that is super-hero-ish, but not exactly is a more recent white wolf product called Scion. It has three parts (Hero, Demigod, and God), you'd only need the Hero book to start. It's sort of a cross between epic fantasy and superheroes (no costumes, lots of secret identities, and high powered play). I've not played it, but the concept is neat.

tyckspoon
2008-06-10, 12:38 AM
(GURPS, tri-stat dx)

BESM 3rd switched to roll-high, incidentally. 2d6 + modifiers to roll over a target number instead of 2d6 to roll under modified target number. Might be worth looking at as a universal system, although I've heard the book is somewhat hard to find.

Cainen
2008-06-10, 01:41 AM
Godlike, but that's a veeeeeeery different kettle of fish from what you're talking about.

Count D20
2008-06-10, 09:43 PM
You could also just reverse the TNs. For example for Hero, it's easy. Swap 11 and 10, 12 and 9, 13 and 8, 14 and 7, 15 and 6, 16 and 5, 17 and 4, 18 and 3. Now you want to roll high. Personally, I'm curious as to why you can't get roll-under systems. I've heard of people with that issue but never understood the reason.

Well , the problem is that i don't see a way that the contested rolls affect each other. Skills aren't touching, the greatness of one does nothing to the abilities of another. It's just the dice.
Though i did have an idea of having a small proportion of enemy skill subtracted from the target; 1/4 or 1/6 something like that.

the other problem is going over 16 for gurps or two full die for tri stat.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-10, 09:57 PM
Scion.....that is all

HidaTsuzua
2008-06-11, 09:43 AM
Well , the problem is that i don't see a way that the contested rolls affect each other. Skills aren't touching, the greatness of one does nothing to the abilities of another. It's just the dice.
Though i did have an idea of having a small proportion of enemy skill subtracted from the target; 1/4 or 1/6 something like that.

the other problem is going over 16 for gurps or two full die for tri stat.

Contested rolls in such systems are usually done by comparing the degree of success. For example in HERO, one person (Fourteen Man) has a 14- roll (i.e. succeeds on a 14 or less) rolls against one (Eleven Man) with a 11- roll. Let's say Fourteen man gets a 12 while Eleven Man gets a 10. That means Fourteen Man beat his roll by 2 while Eleven Man beat his by 1. Therefore Fourteen Man won. You can also do it if whoever loses least (if say both rolled 15s or something). My bet is that tri-stat and gurps do the same (it's been a while and older editions since I've taken a detailed look at them).