PDA

View Full Version : Two-Characters-in-One rules

Conners
2008-06-09, 05:53 PM
I couldn't think of a better title within the word limit. I'm wondering if there are any rules/prestige-classes/races/magic-items for what I'm about to describe, in 3.5 or 4th Edition.

Basically: I had an idea for a PC made up of two characters (now it gets complicated). While Character A is present in physical form, Character B is incorporeal on a sub-plane. The characters would be able to trade places, giving Character B a physical form in the main plane, and making Character A incorporeal within the sub-plane (I hope that is understandable...).

If any of you are familiar with Freedom Force (a comic, and video game) then you can relate this to a super hero/heroine in it who switched between a blind-woman and a guy with a big hammer.

I'm guessing there probably won't be anything for this, but if there is something vaguely similar I can base a home-brew off, please tell me.

Thanks.

RTGoodman
2008-06-09, 06:06 PM
Well, it just so happens that our very own Giant himself, Mr. Rich Burlew, has a class just like your idea (well, mostly), on this very site. It's called The Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html).

Talya
2008-06-09, 06:27 PM
I love that class Rich homebrewed, but it always makes me want to shout:

"For the honor of Greyskull! I ... AM ... SHE-RA!"

(Okay, yes I watched the stupid show when I was a little girl.)

Conners
2008-06-09, 06:28 PM
Well, it just so happens that our very own Giant himself, Mr. Rich Burlew, has a class just like your idea (well, mostly), on this very site. It's called The Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html). Hrrmm... Unfortunately, that doesn't match what I was planing, though it may be a good basis if I homebrew. My main idea was to have something like the weak, charismatic bard, who could trade places with the mighty gnoll fighter. I was figuring both characters would have their own class, possibly at some sort of LA, or something on those lines (come to think of it, it sounds like a template).

Thinking over it, I could RP the "Champion" from as a Gnoll, I'll have to consider that.

I'll jot down a few notes on what I might homebrew: Template. Incorporeal character can not be more than X distance away from physical character. Swapping over shouldn't be too easy--perhaps causing AoO and maybe limited uses per day/hour/whichever. Characters share HP to an extent--10% damage to the bard will make the gnoll fighter 10% damaged, or something like that. In corporeal character and physical character can communicate, via-telepathy, perhaps? Physical character can see incorporeal character?

Thanks very much, rtg0922 (why the name :smalltongue:?).

RTGoodman
2008-06-09, 06:38 PM
Yeah, you can probably get away with a lot by just changing the fluff. If not, just change the type and maybe resistances.

In fact, it just occurred to me that you could make a good Werewolf class with this. Instead of being an Outsider, you'd just be a... whatever type lycanthropes are, trade spells and domain for martial maneuvers from the Tiger Claw discipline, flight for... fast movement(?), and stuff like that.

Honestly, I just never thought I'd post that much here, so I just used my login from my university stuff (i.e., initials plus birthday). Once I noticed I'd been posting a lot more, I didn't want to bother closing it or trying to get a new name or anything. :smallredface:

Starbuck_II
2008-06-09, 06:38 PM
Hrrmm... Unfortunately, that doesn't match what I was planing, though it may be a good basis if I homebrew. My main idea was to have something like the weak, charismatic bard, who could trade places with the mighty gnoll fighter. I was figuring both characters would have their own class, possibly at some sort of LA, or something on those lines (come to think of it, it sounds like a template).

Thinking over it, I could RP the "Champion" from as a Gnoll, I'll have to consider that.

The squire side is weak average bab (Cleric/rogue) and needs high Charisma for determining duration of change.
So it equals weak, charismatic bard.

Champion is mighty warrior (you can have it look as gnoll).

Conners
2008-06-09, 10:08 PM
The squire side is weak average bab (Cleric/rogue) and needs high Charisma for determining duration of change.
So it equals weak, charismatic bard.

Champion is mighty warrior (you can have it look as gnoll). Yeah, that should work. Thanks.

Now... the only problem is to convert the class to 4th Edition when I get the 4th edition books.