PDA

View Full Version : 4e My Skill Fix

Zocelot
2008-06-09, 06:54 PM
There has been a lot of complaints about how static skills are in 4e, so here is my version of a fix.

Gameplay Variation
Advanced Training. When choosing selected skills are 1st level, you may choose to become more competent at a few skills at the cost of training in less skills then normal.
Receive a +2 bonus to a skill you are trained it. You train in one less skill then normal. You may choose to do this multiple times. Each time, the bonus must be applied to a different skill.

Feat
Devoted Practitioner.
Heroic Tier.
Prerequisites: Intelligence 13.
Choose one skill in which you have training. You now have Advanced Training in that skill.
Special: This skill must be on your class list, or have been gained through multiclass feats
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time it applies to a different skill.

Feat
Master Practitioner
Heroic Tier
Prerequisites: Intelligence 15, Devoted Practitioner
You receive a +1 bonus to all skills in which you have Advanced Training. At 11th level, this bonus increases to +2. At 21st level, this bonus increases to +3

Any feedback is appreciated.

spamoo
2008-06-09, 11:03 PM
I have two gripes with this system. It gives you the option of giving up a +5 bonus in one skill to get +2 in another, that doesn't quite seem to be an even trade. The way to get around that is burning feats. Although they are more abundant than in 3.5, feats are often scarce. Overall, I don't see anyone taking either of the first two parts more than once. The last feat however, is a very good idea. Logic would dictate that trained skills would increase faster than untrained skills, even if that difference is relatively minor. The decreased reliance on excessive skill checks leads me to believe that people wouldn't be as likely to give up a skill for a slight bonus, but feat bonuses would work well. Hope I didn't ramble too much.

Zocelot
2008-06-10, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
I've had trouble dealing with Skill Focus, because I can't overide it, or make my choices seem underpowered compared to it. Still, maybe this variation would work better:

Gameplay Variation
Advanced Training. Receive the Skill Focus feat. You train in one less skill then normal. You may choose to do this multiple times.

Devoted Practitioner gets scrapped.

Feat
Master Practitioner
Heroic Tier
Prerequisites: Intelligence 13, Skill Focus
You receive a +1 feat bonus to all skills in which you have Skill Focus. At 11th level, this bonus increases to +2. At 21st level, this bonus increases to +3.
Special: This bonus stacks with the bonus from Skill Focus