PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Low Magic setting

HalfDragonITP
2008-06-09, 08:17 PM
I know I don't post often here at all, but now that I am home for the summer with some of my old basement buddies, I finally have a chance to do some DnD again. I've been tossing around some ideas foe a low-magic homebrew setting in my head for a while that has a lot to do with colonization/exploration and the actual ascension and development of deities (be they DnD Canon or home-made). I've decided that since magic is still largely being discovered and/or developed, the PCs will only be allowed to play classes that get their powers from internal sources (such as Swordsage) or from Natural sources (shaman, druid, ranger - but the no-magic ranger variant would be encouraged).

So far I have almost nothing concrete, but here's what I have written so far (this will be using a self-made map system as well):

The world is new. The main colonized areas are still exploring a lot, especially the primarily Caucasian human area (much like colonial Europe) and the eastern lands (Asia). The western empire is expanding its reach, conquering the lands in a brutally efficient way. The eastern lands are being a bit more subtle about it, preferring to use diplomacy and/or downright underhanded dealings (like assassinations, etc) to expand its reach rather than outright violence.

Classes not allowed for PCs:
Bard
Warblade
Wizard
Cleric
Warlock
Duskblade
Hexblade
Paladin

Allowed classes:
Fighter
Barbarian
Rogue
Ranger
Druid
Shaman
Favored Soul
Swordsage
Basically any combat class that gets its abilities from supernatural or internal sources

I will expand later once I get the ideas down on paper.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?

JoshuaZ
2008-06-09, 08:58 PM
You are going to need to take out Druid as a PC class. There's a reason there's a "D" in CoDzilla. In any event, I don't think you are going to want PCs who have the ability to cast high level spells.

Eurus
2008-06-09, 10:47 PM
Are Sorcerers allowed, then? Their power probably counts as internal, but I don't see 'em listed anywhere.

HalfDragonITP
2008-06-09, 10:48 PM
I meant to put sorcerer on there, actually. On the NOT allowed list that is.

Also, here's iteration one of the world map (still needs rivers and other terrain)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/HalfDragonBronze/worldmap.jpg

Norr
2008-06-10, 10:42 AM
I myself have toyed with the idea of how to make a low-magic campain setting. I've found the easiest way is to only allow spellcasting class with spellcasting lower than 6th level (ie paladin, ranger, bard, psychic warrior etc).

Now, I see you have put favored soul as an allowed class, but favored souls need to choose a deity to keep their powers, theirs is probably not an internal power source.

Why is warblade on the 'no no' list? Last I saw they don't even have access to most of the supernatural diciplines, or is it because you deem it overpowered?

Also, even if Bards have the same power source as sorcerers (magic in the blood blood) canonically, it does not have to be so in your campain. Personally I have always considered Bards getting their magic from the nuances of music, which have a magic of its own.

Also, all psionic classes have internal power sources, that's the whole point of being psionic. Though you might not want psionics in your campain. Your call.