PDA

View Full Version : I need a job

EvilElitest
2008-06-09, 10:25 PM
Now i have to say, as far as 16 year old middle class American boys go, i'm pretty odd. Maybe it is because i played Myst when i was 4 or something, but i'm generally less interested in most teen age things. As of such, i haven't been spending time getting a job in the regular sense of the word because i make my own money (only a little) and am content on that . however i've been told i need to get a job this summer. Now i can't handle money yet, so i'm trying to think of a job that will actually be enjoyable. I hate phyical labor generally, so i'm kinda low on options.

Any suggestions. Or offers:smallwink: WOTC, this means you
from
EE

Edan
2008-06-09, 10:36 PM
As much as I hate to say it, Fast Food. It isn't labor intensive, you work indoors and is one of the few options available to teens. If anything, try to find out if local joints are hiring. They are generally better to work for than big chains.

Other than that, Landscape Crews tend to hire plenty of teens are are generally pretty good. Don't forget retail, although some might require you to be 18, but it is a fairly easy job.

reorith
2008-06-09, 10:38 PM
when i was your age, i swept hair and shampooed people at a salon. it was pretty cool and i used the appointment book to find out where people worked so i could pretend to be a phrenologist. minimal physical labor, plenty of down time and socialization.

Leper_Kahn
2008-06-09, 10:44 PM
You work indoors

See! This is the problem! :smallwink: I don't know where you live, but get outside! Especially in the summer. I work outside at a camp, and it's awesome. Get outside and soak up the sun. :smallcool:

Vavaara
2008-06-09, 10:53 PM
I work as a delivery gal for a local Greek place that just happens to deliver as well as provide an amazing dining experience. It's pretty sweet :smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2008-06-09, 10:54 PM
Well, whatever you do, DO get a job.

Let me tell ya, I just graduated summa *** laude with a BA in History and Medieval Studies, I was THE top history graduate at my major university for this year, and am a member of several honors societies and service organizations. Yet, somehow, because I focused on schoolwork and stuff like that during high school, my lack of experience in a real work environment (i.e., my previous work experience is as an instructor for marching bands and indoor percussion ensembles, and as a composer/arranger of marching band music for three high schools bands) means that I can't even get a job WORKING PART-TIME IN A GAS STATION or SELLING TICKETS AND SOUVENIRS AT THIS PLACE!

And now that I'm taking a year off before grad school, student loans need to start being paid and I can't find anyone that'll hire me. :smallmad:

What I'm saying is, good luck in the job hunt.

EDIT: Silly filter, asterisking my Latin words...

Catskin
2008-06-09, 11:03 PM
When I was 16 had a paper route. I liked it--it does mean getting outside, moving (I'd suggest on foot, skateboard, or bike), and throwing. Sounds like it could be too labor-intensive for you.

I'm not sure what you mean by you can't handle money yet. If you mean that you won't be working for money, I'd suggest looking into volunteer work. In high school I volunteered at nursing homes and a center for children with developmental disabilities. Both were very rewarding and it made me feel both blessed and appreciated. Most mid-sized towns have plenty of stuff going on for disadvantaged people that might interest you.

If you go into retail (is that even legal at 16?), I recommend only applying places that sell things you'd want to buy: gaming stores, book stores, computer stores, whatever.

Shhhh!
2008-06-09, 11:11 PM
Hmmm.
I really hate to, but if you can stand the people, try retail.
It's a slower pace than fast food, but without leaving you stranded for
six hours a day.
And if you were to go for Wal, and or K mart, you would be able to
start with, hopefully, a position you'll enjoy.
And, at least where I am, the sixteen isn't a problem.
But only if you can stand the people.
If not, it would be a special kind of torture, reserved for only the worst of sociopaths and sinners.
so, yeah.

Midnight Son
2008-06-09, 11:33 PM
Movie theatre; Free movies.

reorith
2008-06-10, 12:11 AM
Movie theatre; Free movies.

yeah you could become a projectionist. that would afford you other interesting opportunities. like splicing single frames from adult movies into family films.

skywalker
2008-06-10, 12:22 AM
Let me tell ya, I just graduated summa *** laude with a BA in History and Medieval Studies,

Tee hee... The filter is funny...

Anyway... I say don't work fast food. The grease may never leave you completely. The only exception is starbucks. I have no idea whether they take 16 year olds, but they're supposedly a great work environment and, at the end of it all, you'll be able to make a good cup of coffee. Which has boundless uses, let me tell you. Treat dad to an early morning cup on Father's day, impress any lady friends who happen to be at your place in the morning, all sorts of uses indeed.

Is there like a mall or someplace like that where the kids usually get summer jobs in your area?

RTGoodman
2008-06-10, 12:40 AM
Tee hee... The filter is funny...

Heh, I completely missed that. Fixed it now, though. :smalltongue:

Anyway... I say don't work fast food. The grease may never leave you completely. The only exception is starbucks.

I've been even thinking of doing that, and I don't even drink coffee. (Actually, it's mostly just that I don't drink caffeinated beverages at all, except sweet tea when I go out places.) At this point, I'm willing to try [almost] anything - I'm not too keen on restaurants and fast food places, though.

skywalker
2008-06-10, 12:57 AM
I've been even thinking of doing that, and I don't even drink coffee. (Actually, it's mostly just that I don't drink caffeinated beverages at all, except sweet tea when I go out places.) At this point, I'm willing to try [almost] anything - I'm not too keen on restaurants and fast food places, though. I think I pretty much mirror this quote exactly. I hear they have wonderful benefits and the starting wages are great. Having been one of those kids loitering outside after they close, it doesn't seem like too much work to close up, either(which can be important in a job, I've had a shift end at 11 and not left till 12:30 before :smallyuk:).

Solo
2008-06-10, 01:14 AM
Now i have to say, as far as 16 year old middle class American boys go, i'm pretty odd. Maybe it is because i played Myst when i was 4 or something, but i'm generally less interested in most teen age things. As of such, i haven't been spending time getting a job in the regular sense of the word because i make my own money (only a little) and am content on that . however i've been told i need to get a job this summer. Now i can't handle money yet, so i'm trying to think of a job that will actually be enjoyable. I hate phyical labor generally, so i'm kinda low on options.

Any suggestions. Or offers:smallwink: WOTC, this means you
from
EE

Fear not my lord, for I have a cunning plan.

I hear that there's good money to be made down at the docks, doing favors for sailors.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-10, 02:16 AM
Why is work experience so important, rtg0922? i have another friend who's got a descent IT based qualification, but they had huge problems with getting a job due to never having one before (it seems as though some people just want you to have experience for the sake of it). Also, why are you being made to get a job, EE? I can't think of any ideas which are better then the ones which were already suggested. Solo, I'm pretty certain that that's illegal (and the opposite of what EE wanted).

Hazkali
2008-06-10, 02:28 AM
A couple of points to remember: you aren't going to get the first job you apply for, and you will have to "sell yourself" well just to get a job on the bottom of the pile- you're competing with every other sixteen-year-old who wants a summer job.

I recommend printing of a dozen or so CVs, putting on a suit (or at least a shirt and tie) and going to every place in town that has a "vacancies" sign in the window*. Give them a CV, make a little bit of polite conversation, and ask for an interview.

*Hotels notwithstanding :smalltongue:

Solo
2008-06-10, 02:35 AM
I can't think of any ideas which are better then the ones which were already suggested. Solo, I'm pretty certain that that's illegal (and the opposite of what EE wanted).

Not my fault you never watched Blackadder season two, episode 4.

Nychta
2008-06-10, 02:46 AM
Not my fault you never watched Blackadder season two, episode 4.

I have :smallamused:

Will you read me a story?

H. Zee
2008-06-10, 02:46 AM
I'm also 16 and looking for a summer job. I hope to get a job in a book shop, and if I can't, then I think I just won't bother with work and scrape by the whole summer on what I find under sofa cushions.

TigerHunter
2008-06-10, 02:52 AM
Ok, a dumb question from a 17-year old: how, exactly, does one apply for a job? Just go inside and ask for an application? Go to some website to find out who's hiring in your area?

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-10, 03:01 AM
Have you tried the Jobs section of your local newspaper. That could be useful. Also, is the a Job Centre where you live? It could be worth checking there (I remember trying to use the Job Centre Plus' website to find jobs in my area, and it completely ignored things like "Distance from house", so I ended up with results which were dozens of miles away, so you're probably better off not using the internet for this if other similar websites are as reliable).

Solo
2008-06-10, 03:34 AM
Ok, a dumb question from a 17-year old: how, exactly, does one apply for a job? Just go inside and ask for an application? Go to some website to find out who's hiring in your area?

No, you must complete the CHALLENGE OF DEATH, which involves FLYING MONKIES!

I have :smallamused:

Will you read me a story?

And I'll give you a kiss to make it better as well :smallwink:

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-10, 07:22 AM
If you've spent more than a few days agonizing about the decision without applying anywhere, I suggest you avoid paralysis by analysis. Just look up the closest Temp Agency in the phonebook (like Manpower or Adecco), walk in there, and say to the receptionist, "I need a job." They'll take care of you from there (it's how they make their money - they find you a job and take a cut of your paycheck).
And bring your Social Security card.

Hazkali
2008-06-10, 07:50 AM
I'm also 16 and looking for a summer job. I hope to get a job in a book shop, and if I can't, then I think I just won't bother with work and scrape by the whole summer on what I find under sofa cushions.

This seems a bit odd to me; if you want or need the money, then you should get any job you can. The one thing I know for certain is that if you get a job in a book shop you won't be paid to sit around reading all day. Also, working somewhere that you might not have considered before can be an enlightening experience.

Usually shops, restaurants and other businesses where the public can just walk in put up advertisements of vacant positions in their windows or around the premises; in that case, just walk in and politely ask for an application for or give them your CV.

Alternatively, there are job agencies that can find you work on a temporary basis- usually filling in staff vacancies, seasonal work, maternity leave and so on. They usually make you fill in reams of information on your qualifications and skills, and then will try to match you up to any jobs they need people for. However regularly phone or see them in person to check up on whether there is work for you- this lets them know that you are keen, and usually gets your name on the top of the lists (if only to stop you bothering them :smalltongue:).

MandibleBones
2008-06-10, 08:23 AM
Anyway... I say don't work fast food. The grease may never leave you completely. The only exception is starbucks. I have no idea whether they take 16 year olds, but they're supposedly a great work environment and, at the end of it all, you'll be able to make a good cup of coffee. Which has boundless uses, let me tell you. Treat dad to an early morning cup on Father's day, impress any lady friends who happen to be at your place in the morning, all sorts of uses indeed.

Starbucks does indeed take 16 year olds, especially for summer hires. Apply at all of the stores in your area. Seriously.

Though it will take you a couple months to get the smell of coffee out of your hair :) But that's okay. And the in-store discount when off work is pretty much great.

Other options: Apply as a host to a restaurant. Seat people, take their menus, and generally be pleasent. No tips, but you don't have to have cash-handling experience, don't have to be 21 or even 18, and you get experience with customer service, which is freaking invaluable.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-10, 08:31 AM
Please forgive me if I sound patronizing with all my quotation marks, I figured it might help some of those people who might not be native English speakers.

For a summer job, I would read the "Classifieds" section of the newspaper, under "Help Wanted" or "Employment." Then look for jobs that say "Seasonal Work" or "Temp Work." If the ad just says "Earn $10,000 in 3 months - call this number!" but doesn't actually describe the job, don't waste your time with that job.
Also I have seen computers in the front of Lowe's (near customer service) and other similar large stores where you can sit down and apply for a job there.
If you don't need the money, but you want to do something productive with your summer anyway, I agree that volunteer work is a great idea. Besides the intangible rewards, it could pay off for you later in the form of a college scholarship you win thanks to your list of accomplishments that included volunteer work - just make sure you get it all documented well.
If you are interested in a health care profession, it's especially good to have volunteer/observation hours. Just walk in to any hospital or clinic and ask the receptionist at the help desk about their volunteer or observation program (usually in cooperation with the Red Cross) and they should be able to square you away.

Gorbash
2008-06-10, 08:53 AM
Well, if you're into IT, maybe some web provider company could hire you as a tech support? You know, sit on the computer all day long, and answer stupid questions like "My computer is on fire. Is that a good thing?". Although I suggest you leave common sense and sarcasm at home while doing that one. I got fired because I couldn't help but mock some really stupid people. Seriously, I once got a call from an old lady complaning about her internet connection, and she didn't even had a computer!!!

WalkingTarget
2008-06-10, 09:27 AM
My opinion is that everyone should work in the food service industry for at least a few months in their youth just to give them perspective (to instill some leniency when dealing with restaurant workers in the future and, if you find you hate it, to inform yourself that you should try hard so you can get a better job when you're older). Sixteen is a good age for that.

Of course, if you know what sort of profession you're going to want and can find something in that field at your age, I say go for it. Experience is everything and not all of us had many options like that (for example, growing up on a farm doesn't really lend itself to IT experience :smallmad:).

Skippy
2008-06-10, 09:30 AM
yeah you could become a projectionist. that would afford you other interesting opportunities. like splicing single frames from adult movies into family films.

Fight Club much?

Oh. I just noticed the white text. My post is still valid.

TigerHunter: Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. You fill in an application and walk into any place you think they might hire you. Or advertise yourself via internet, there are lots of sites where you can ask for a job. They contact you whenever there's something available.

Telonius
2008-06-10, 09:52 AM
If you've spent more than a few days agonizing about the decision without applying anywhere, I suggest you avoid paralysis by analysis. Just look up the closest Temp Agency in the phonebook (like Manpower or Adecco), walk in there, and say to the receptionist, "I need a job." They'll take care of you from there (it's how they make their money - they find you a job and take a cut of your paycheck).
And bring your Social Security card.

Best advice so far, IMO. Randstad got me into my current a job as temp-to-hire.

thubby
2008-06-10, 09:52 AM
my advice, use the shotgun method, apply to every fast food, burger joint, diner, and mega store in the area. someone will reply back.

or ask your parents, i got my first job from a friend of the family, a lot of people do.

potatocubed
2008-06-10, 09:55 AM
Enjoyable jobs for 16 year olds are few and far between. Most are at the 'nightmare' end of retail or the '0.5 cents per item' end of piece work. Your best bet is to choose a job that involves something you like as a peripheral benefit.

Example: My first job was in a library (age 17) and I loved it. I would take, literally, sackloads of books home each weekend to tide me over for the week. I quite liked the job, but the easy access to every book in the borough (via inter-library loans that I could arrange in spare moments) was what made it for me.

Serpentine
2008-06-10, 10:19 AM
If you're pretty much just looking for a job to appease your parents who think you ought to be doing something productive, I also recommend volunteering. It can be the leg-up into a job you really want - all those people lamenting the way people won't hire you without experience? Volunteering counts. I worked in my town library for a couple of hours every Wednesday in return for afternoon tea, and that gave me most of the skills and experience I needed to apply for and get a casual job in Queensland libraries. That in turn allowed me to get my current job in the town library here, which shoved me straight to the top of the list at the uni library which commonly has waiting periods of years before they'll actually hire someone.

Ok, a dumb question from a 17-year old: how, exactly, does one apply for a job? Just go inside and ask for an application? Go to some website to find out who's hiring in your area?Both are valid. When I was looking for a job for uni (which resulted in my town library employment), I just printed off a whole stack of cover letters - basically an introduction to yourself, what sort of a job you want, how flexible you are or what sort of hours you want, how fantastically wonderful an employee you'd make - and resumes - in which you detail your experience and education, interests, skills, accomplishments, etc - and took them everywhere I might possibly be interested in working. I then called or dropped in to all those places fairly regularly to check whether anything had come up.

valadil
2008-06-10, 10:26 AM
This may sound odd, but the most fun job I ever had was as a camp counselor. I did that between 14 and 18 during the summers. Even though I'm an out of shape gamer geek who programs computers for fun, being outside all day playing games was a damn good time.

MandibleBones
2008-06-10, 10:28 AM
I also recommend volunteering.

I'm going to agree on this - it will definitely help you out in the future, when competing for a tough entry spot in college or a better job. Plus, it really is personally fulfilling, IMHO.

RTGoodman
2008-06-10, 12:09 PM
Why is work experience so important, rtg0922?
I don't know. Apparently people think that just because I haven't done something before means I CAN'T do it.

i have another friend who's got a descent IT based qualification, but they had huge problems with getting a job due to never having one before (it seems as though some people just want you to have experience for the sake of it).

Yeah, that sounds about right. I mean, I've seen some jobs on the local Employment Security Commission Job Center website that are like "Wanted - Secretary for basic office duties, must be able to type 40 words per minute. 3 years experience required." I mean, to me it just seems like a vicious cycle - I need a job to get work experience, but I can't get one because I don't already have that experience!

And really, how does 3+ years of me working with middle school and high school band students NOT qualify me to work with, you know, middle school tour groups at the museum/town place I looked at?

Best advice so far, IMO. Randstad got me into my current a job as temp-to-hire.

I've been thinking about Temp agencies, but they always sound sort of sketchy to me. How exactly does it work? Just sign up and they send you off somewhere (and take part of your money)? What sorts of jobs have you had with them?

Or, you know, I could just move up to Alaska and become a crab fisherman. I hear they make good money...

potatocubed
2008-06-10, 12:21 PM
I've been thinking about Temp agencies, but they always sound sort of sketchy to me. How exactly does it work? Just sign up and they send you off somewhere (and take part of your money)? What sorts of jobs have you had with them?

No decent temp agency will ever take your money - they make their cash off the companies they place you with.

Basically, you go in, tell them about yourself, qualifications, stuff you want to do, and so on. They then match you to jobs they have on file or any vacancies that spring up later. You'll almost certainly still have to go to the company in question and do an interview or other application, but the agency takes a lot of the hassle out of searching the job market.

Not all agencies are temp agencies - some deal with temp work, others with permanent positions, and I think most will do both. Either way, they provide an excellent foot in the door if you're looking for employment.

Proven_Paradox
2008-06-10, 04:03 PM
Definitely start getting some experience now; I'll be a senior in college next year and I don't have any real work experience--I'm not going to mention that one job that fired me after one day, so there's nothing on work experience with my resume. There aren't any standard jobs for me right now; everything technical requires a degree, and everything that doesn't require a degree doesn't want to hire someone that'll leave to go back to school.

It won't be much help to the original poster, but college students who don't have any work experience need to get really really seriously into finding a good internship. It looks great on a resume, often pays fairly well, and it's basically guaranteed to get your foot in the door for a careen with the company you interned for when you get your degree. Most seem to be set up so that you apply for them during March or earlier, but some times you can find some short notice ones.

Apply for a lot though; the competition will likely be fierce. During the school year, I applied for several figuring I'd be accepted for at least one, but with no such luck. Hopefully that'll change with a short-notice one I'm interviewing for tomorrow.

EvilElitest
2008-06-10, 06:11 PM
Just a few points

1) I'm getting a job mostly because parents think it is a good thing to do, not out of will. As of such, i'm being a typical lazy bastard and trying to find a job that will actually be enjoyable, like writing or something like that. Sadly, i'm rather limited
2) Working outside doesn't go well. Lazyness and physical boredom aside, where i live it is really really really hot this year, when it shouldn't be, and i am extremly pale from birth. I could mow lawns or walk dogs i suppose, but i wouldn't enjoy it
3) I wouldn't want to work in the food industry, it is monotonous generally (i've been there before). If i really have to,that is what i'm going to do, but i wouldn't want to
4) Voulenteer work doesn't get me money, but looks good i admit. Is there any way i could tutor or at least get myself known?
5) Anyone hiring? Anyone
6) When i say i can't handle money, i mean like as part of the job. Age law i think
7) I can be good with people, but not in a customer service sort of way, because i'm too impatient

Solo-Sod off Bordrick

thanks
from
EE

thubby
2008-06-10, 06:34 PM
about the experience thing. you are never the only one applying. businesses want to hire the best person for the job, when they look at someone with experience, they know how good he is; you are a "?". so its either the guy they know is good or the total mystery.
its not always about how well you can do the job either. a *cough* who is good at his job is less valuable than someone who is ok but personable. you, for example, clearly have 0 work ethic (you don't actually want to get a job), no one would be inclined to hire you because someone with a greater desire is more inclined to do better.

Copacetic
2008-06-10, 07:16 PM
Personally, I'm not even old enough to think about getting a job and I am volunteering at the pool I plan to work at. It's been great. I get to run around in the sun all day and help with the summer camp for barely any work. Everyone knows me so I'll pretty much assured a job when I'm old enough. Even better, Hot chicks in bikinis sun-bathing.:smallamused:

EvilElitest
2008-06-10, 09:49 PM
1) I have good work ethnic if i'm interested in what i'm doing
2) I'm glad your priorities straight Frig
from
EE

Grogah
2008-06-10, 09:59 PM
Grocery stores. My first job was as a checker in a grocery. Checkers, stockers and the like got paid $9.50 an hour, almost twice minimum wage. What's more, I lived in a state with muchos blue laws, so Sundays were x2.5 regular pay.

Copacetic
2008-06-10, 09:59 PM
1) I have good work ethnic if I'm interested in what I'm doing
2) I'm glad your priorities straight are Frigs
from
EE

I blame puberty. Blasted horomones.

EvilElitest
2008-06-10, 10:07 PM
I blame puberty. Blasted horomones.

how old are you?

that grocery store idea is interesting, but isn't it really boring work
from
EE

Grogah
2008-06-10, 10:14 PM

Any work not requiring a graduate degree is going to be boring. Grocery store work at least lets you work with people some, which can make any day interesting. You also learn a LOT about produce. You'll be able to tell a plantain from a Banana in no time.

Hazkali
2008-06-11, 04:47 AM
from
EE

As a teenager, with no previous work experience, you are not going to get anything like an "interesting" job. Most of the jobs out there for you will be monotonous, repetitive work. That doesn't mean that you'll necessarily be bored out of your skull all day, and don't forget that you are being paid- I am mercenary enough to put up with a lot for my £5.50/ hour.

Totally Guy
2008-06-11, 06:29 AM
My first job was at 16 and in a department store. I was selling Linen, Lighting and Bathroom accessories. It was a good job. I must have been really lucky because I didn't get a single stupid customer, I got customers that had made mistakes but it wasn't out of stupidity. I got one customer angry when I told her she'd jumped the queue so I'd serve somebody else first but I don't regret that. I saved up for university all year only making one big purchase a PS2. I paid off all my accomodation the next year in the cheapest halls.

My little brother is trying to get a job now, he's 18, he really doesn't want to. He's been given government grants for higher learning which he spends on clothes and frivolity each week. He's also reserved the cheapest place he could find for university halls, well the cheapest place with broadband and an ensuite bathroom. He says it's ok because he's gay and therefore won't need to pay to bring up kids later. Joke's on him because I've still not been able to get a girlfriend.:smallbiggrin:... :smallfrown:

reorith
2008-06-11, 07:14 AM
As a teenager, with no previous work experience, you are not going to get anything like an "interesting" job. Most of the jobs out there for you will be monotonous, repetitive work. That doesn't mean that you'll necessarily be bored out of your skull all day, and don't forget that you are being paid- I am mercenary enough to put up with a lot for my £5.50/ hour.

my second job was shoveling horse excrement at a stable. now that was an interesting if not horrible job. :smallyuk: oh man i had to do some twisted stuff there. i don't recommend it. or perhaps i would.

Copacetic
2008-06-11, 07:30 AM
how old are you?

EE

Old enough. Why you care is beyond me.

my second job was shoveling horse excrement at a stable. now that was an interesting if not horrible job.:smallyuk:

How did you get stuck with that gig?

Serpentine
2008-06-11, 10:54 AM
4) Voulenteer work doesn't get me money, but looks good i admit. Is there any way i could tutor or at least get myself known?Yep.
...what? :smallconfused:
Oh, you wanted more? Figure out what you think you're good enough at to tutor, and start sticking up posters around the place. Talk to friends, parents of friends, friends of parents, etc. etc.

Grocery stores. My first job was as a checker in a grocery. Checkers, stockers and the like got paid $9.50 an hour, almost twice minimum wage. What's more, I lived in a state with muchos blue laws, so Sundays were x2.5 regular pay.Holy crapsicles! Your minimus wage is less than $5?! :smalleek: Bloody hell! I'm pretty certain ours is at least $12/hour. Geez...

Hmm... Looking at all these job-finding woes really makes me think I must've got damn lucky <.< Either that or I'm just awesome :smallwink:

Grogah
2008-06-11, 11:43 AM
Holy crapsicles! Your minimus wage is less than $5?! :smalleek: Bloody hell! I'm pretty certain ours is at least $12/hour. Geez...

Some states are equal to, or lower than the US Federal level, and it was a while ago. Wow, a long while ago. Now I feel old.

RTGoodman
2008-06-11, 01:47 PM
Holy crapsicles! Your minimus wage is less than $5?! :smalleek: Bloody hell! I'm pretty certain ours is at least $12/hour. Geez...

Well, that depends, as Grogah says. Federal minimum wage right now is $6.15/hour, but I think it's supposed to increase to $6.55/hour sometime in July. Of course, the mistake people make is thinking that the minimum wage is just that - minimum.

For instance, I know people that wait tables that make $3-5 an hour or less. They get tips, sure, but you can't really tell if you're going to make much on tips or not. There was actually a place advertising online yesterday that was apparently proud to proclaim that wait staff started at like $2.15/hour.

thubby
2008-06-11, 11:31 PM
For instance, I know people that wait tables that make $3-5 an hour or less. They get tips, sure, but you can't really tell if you're going to make much on tips or not. There was actually a place advertising online yesterday that was apparently proud to proclaim that wait staff started at like $2.15/hour.

that's why a lot of places pool tips, it's a lot more stable.

Serpentine
2008-06-12, 12:10 AM
Ugh.
My mother (or was it father? Or both? I forget) refuses to give any tips at all, because she (/he/they?) thinks that they should be getting paid what they're worth anyway, and she doesn't want to encourage Australian employers to go the way of the US, in which they get paid less and are expected to make up the difference through tips <.< Personally, I think it should be a bonus for an especially well-done job... the hard part is making sure it doesn't deteriorate.

MeklorIlavator
2008-06-12, 12:26 AM
Are there any Potbelly sandwich works around your area EE? I found them to be interesting and decent paying. Plus, free food is always nice.

Also, the minimum wage doesn't affect other things like overtime: I know my mom's old company didn't give paid overtime.

thubby
2008-06-12, 12:38 AM
Ugh.
My mother (or was it father? Or both? I forget) refuses to give any tips at all, because she (/he/they?) thinks that they should be getting paid what they're worth anyway, and she doesn't want to encourage Australian employers to go the way of the US, in which they get paid less and are expected to make up the difference through tips <.< Personally, I think it should be a bonus for an especially well-done job... the hard part is making sure it doesn't deteriorate.

I've found 2 counters to such people that have met with success.
a) regardless of how it should be, this is how it is, and you are hurting innocent people on a principal.
for example, say your door bell shocked your mother whenever pressed, it shouldn't be that way, but you'd still be a terrible person to continue pressing that button.

b) if we do it your way we have no way to punish poor service.

Serpentine
2008-06-12, 12:46 AM
a) It's not that way yet, not here. Tips are still just an optional bonus. Noone can "expect" or insist on a tip. People here are (at least theoretically) paid for the work they do, and may get a bit extra if their customers think they're doing an exceptionally good job, and that's the way I think it should stay.
b) Positive reinforcement is demonstrably better than negative. It's far, far better to reward good than to punish bad. When the reward has become the "norm"... that's bad.

Totally Guy
2008-06-12, 06:43 AM
On completely the other side of the scale some places here add on a service charge to the bill which represents a tip as a percentage of the bill. The whole point of a tip is that it's a free will choice deal and when we are told to pay a set amount I just feel ripped off.

Iudex Fatarum
2008-06-12, 07:18 AM
So my gf worked at a restaurant for a while, and her wage was $2/hour. Plus she was only allowed to have 3 tables, so now figure that out for how much maximum she can make.
Also, I have applied for 3 jobs and gotten 2 of them in my short life. All of them were not advertised. The two I got were internal advertisements I found out from people in the org, and I also had those people forward my resume to the managers, this allowed a recommendation from inside (very weak recommendation but one)So, ask around. Any friends you have, any one you randomly see on the street, ask them all if they know of somewhere that is hiring.
It may seem odd, but in my sociology class my prof mentioned that something upwards of 75% of jobs are filled without ever being publicly advertised (said prof had gotten his first job from his father-in-law's brother's wife's father).
So, ... ask people.
Second, hospitals are great places to work. This applies less to those under 18 as most hospitals can't hire under that (HIPPA, and CPR cert) but I worked in an ER and it was great fun, good staff, funny patients, and some really crazy people (like the Physician Assistant that had a phobia of needles :smallbiggrin:)

leperkhaun
2008-06-12, 07:28 AM
My advice, if you are able to, do the dinner waiter thing. Its great.

If you build a solid customer base you can make 100 or so a night easy.

It can be a lot of work running around though, and also sometimes it hard to be smiling and nice when you feel like crap.

Another thing is doing midnight stocking for various stores. Night shifts ussually get paid more than day shift and a lot of the time those types of jobs pay more than a "normal" job in the store.

thubby
2008-06-12, 08:40 AM
b) Positive reinforcement is demonstrably better than negative. It's far, far better to reward good than to punish bad. When the reward has become the "norm"... that's bad.

but here you have access to both.