PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Possible partial skill fix?

Ulrichomega
2008-06-10, 12:39 AM
Hello, all.

I got the books on World DnD Day, and have read the PHB pretty thoroughly.

Now, on these forums, one of the major complaints is that they killed the skill system. That thay made it less customizable and whatnot. So what if there were feats that gave bonuses to specific actions?

For example, a feat that gives a bonus to all jump attempts, or all pick-pocket attempts. This allows for a customized character that isn't universally good at thievery or athletics, but is specialized in one part of those overall skills.

So:

Great Jumper

Prerequisites: Training in Athletics skill.
Benefit: When attempting to jump using the athletics skill, you add +5 to the check.

or...

Skilled Thief

Prerequisites: Training in Thievery skill.
Benefit: When attempting to pick-pocket using the athletics skill, you add +5 to the check.

So in effect, you get this skill-feat template.

Catchy Title

Prerequisites: Training in X skill.
Benefit: When attempting to Y using the Z skill, you add +5 to the check.

So, what do the forumites think of this?

HeirToPendragon
2008-06-10, 12:47 AM
The people complaining about what they did to skills are ignoring one big thing:

It's a ROLE PLAYING game. OMG You can't give yourself Profession (Prostitute) anymore!!!! So what, talk with your DM and roleplay your backstory so that you are the best five dollar suckie in the world.

If you want to make yourself a world class pick pocket that can't pick locks for some reason, then give yourself a penalty. I really don't think your DM will care. These skills were combined because half the time you were putting points into things that should be mutual (Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft anyone?).

Look Ulrich, I'm not really yelling at you specifically. You're trying to provide a rules suppliment. I'm yelling in general because you are one of the very few right now who for some reason can't grasp that unlike 3.5 rules, 4e rules are as flexible as *insert momma joke*

Ulrichomega
2008-06-10, 12:51 AM
The people complaining about what they did to skills are ignoring one big thing:

It's a ROLE PLAYING game. OMG You can't give yourself Profession (Prostitute) anymore!!!! So what, talk with your DM and roleplay your backstory so that you are the best five dollar suckie in the world.

If you want to make yourself a world class pick pocket that can't pick locks for some reason, then give yourself a penalty. I really don't think your DM will care. These skills were combined because half the time you were putting points into things that should be mutual (Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft anyone?).

Look Ulrich, I'm not really yelling at you specifically. You're trying to provide a rules suppliment. I'm yelling in general because you are one of the very few right now who for some reason can't grasp that unlike 3.5 rules, 4e rules are as flexible as *insert momma joke*

What the ****?

I'm on your side dude. I think that they're all morons for thinking the skill system sucks. The only reason that I'm posting this is that I think it's a good idea.

And yes, I know that they were being selected together, but you still had the option to not. This allows for more customization.

Actually, you are yelling at me specifically.

Get your head out of your ass.

Goober4473
2008-06-10, 12:52 AM
Regardless of how flexible the skill system is, I do like the idea of having feats that play off of skills that let you do cooler things with them. I wouldn't got the "+X to the skill when Y" rout though. How about special techniques that either don't require a roll or require a check from that skill, like a leaping charge.

Ulrichomega
2008-06-10, 12:53 AM
Regardless of how flexible the skill system is, I do like the idea of having feats that play off of skills at let you do cooler things with them. I wouldn't got the "+X to the skill when Y" rout though. How about special techniques that either don't require a roll or require a check from that skill, like a leaping charge.

Sure.

This was just a suggestion.

turkishproverb
2008-06-10, 02:28 AM
How about patching the old skill system in. Its the best fix i can think of, short of rebuilding the game from the ground up again.

At least, to restore the quality of the old skill system.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-10, 02:36 AM
Hello, all.

I got the books on World DnD Day, and have read the PHB pretty thoroughly.

Now, on these forums, one of the major complaints is that they killed the skill system. That thay made it less customizable and whatnot. So what if there were feats that gave bonuses to specific actions?

For example, a feat that gives a bonus to all jump attempts, or all pick-pocket attempts. This allows for a customized character that isn't universally good at thievery or athletics, but is specialized in one part of those overall skills.

So:

or...

So in effect, you get this skill-feat template.

So, what do the forumites think of this?

Two problems:
1) It absolutely kills the attempted balance on skills. Now a first level character can get a base +10 to a skill check. Tack on various other modifiers, and you can get 1st level characters that can automatically pass DC 15 (moderate difficulty) checks. This is the 3.5 1st-level-bard-diplomacheese problem all over again.

2) There is already a feat, "Skill Focus" that grants a +3 bonus to a given skill check. Hell, imagine the stacking!

No, I'd much rather use my NWP-style backgrounds which give +2 Cir. Bonuses in rather specialized situations. It has nice flavor, and is a relatively small bonus I don't mind handing out for free.