PDA

View Full Version : Gears of Neve: a 4E World-Building Project - Abraxas

Pages : 1 [2]

ApeofLight
2008-07-19, 09:52 PM
Yea that sounds good. Also we can of need to figure out who is going to do what with the races.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-20, 01:18 PM
As in Stoicism vs Epicureanism, as well as many many realistic Gods?

ApeofLight
2008-07-22, 04:45 PM
Yea a Greek mythology sounds pretty good.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-22, 08:00 PM
It means shifting around the deities though, something we had earlier ascertained we were not going to do.

ApeofLight
2008-07-23, 11:31 AM
Well maybe not change the gods but just how the view them and the world. They would have the same gods but would look at the world the way greeks did.

Zeta Kai
2008-07-24, 12:44 PM
The gods should remain in place, but there is room for different cultures to view the gods differently (as should be expected). Perhaps the elves have a more philosophical take than some of the more dogmatic races (Dragonborn come to mind). This could serve for some ready-made cultural conflict.

I like the idea of the Elves being partially based on Greek culture. What does everyone think of Moff's contrasting counter-basis: Native Americans (southwest)? Perhaps other Elven cultures can be partially based on other related cultures: Native Americans (plains), Native Americans (Algonquin Nations), Aztecs, Toltecs, Olmecs, Mayans, Inuit, etc. I think those, when mixed thoroughly with Greek cultures, would make a great foundation for the Elves.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-24, 01:59 PM
That allows us to have a lot of variation, while still having them relatively unified.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-25, 04:16 PM
As the elves get farther west in game, they should start drawing on increasingly southern (real world) influences. That would logically extend to having the elven analog to native american tribes, which is something I'm happy with.

ApeofLight
2008-07-28, 09:58 PM
So there would be nomadic elves. Would they just have a certain area that they control? I think that might be good.

Zeta Kai
2008-07-29, 08:08 AM
So there would be nomadic elves. Would they just have a certain area that they control? I think that might be good.

I believe that the Elves & Half-Elves should have a cluster of nomadic territories in the northern half of Abraxas, north of the aberrant Illithids that populate the southern half. A vast swath of badlands separate the two, which is populated by the Oaves.

BTW, I've edited & expanded the Abraxas map, which can be found in the third spoiler of Post #1.

puppyavenger
2008-07-29, 09:53 AM
I believe that the Elves & Half-Elves should have a cluster of nomadic territories in the northern half of Abraxas, north of the aberrant Illithids that populate the southern half. A vast swath of badlands separate the two, which is populated by the Oaves.

BTW, I've edited & expanded the Abraxas map, which can be found in the third spoiler of Post #1.

wait, weren't there going to be a tribe of aztec equivalents who sacrifice to the mind flayers?
also, maybe the Mayan and Aztec elves are n the middle of a war? after all, if they're allied it might be a bit hard to tell them a part(the only two centralized governments wit the same broad culture.

may I suggest a large amounts o "here be dragons" spots on the map, both for actual dragons (no way are we getting away we 11 not-very evil ones protected by a militant empire) and for yaun-tai, gnolls, things man was not meant to know, and other monsters

puppyavenger
2008-07-29, 12:47 PM
sorry about the double post, computer isn't showing the edit button.

So are we still having the changlings as Meso-American with Mind-Flayer sacrifices? maybe they have some way to identify each other besides sight, since they can completely change there form into another human. Perhaps when a person is sacrificed to the Mind flayers they say that the form they ere wearing at the time go's to their god(whats the one that created the doppelgangers? anyway that one), so it's blasphemy to wear that from while anyone who lived during the sacrifice is alive.

ApeofLight
2008-07-30, 10:25 AM
I like the idea of the badlands. Maybe there should be small plots of land maybe large enough for a town that the oaves live on.

Shadow_Elf
2008-07-30, 08:39 PM
The only real detriment to them is that the crunch is written for 3.5, & I don't have enough practical experience with 4E to even begin to attempt a conversion.

I'd be happy to do the 4e conversion if you like. I have been homebrewing 4e non-stop since i got it mid July.

Also, for Yuan-ti, they could worship that evil god of poison and snakes. That's pretty Yuan-tiish. They could also worship the FR goddess Talona, whose domain is also poison.
And I vote for Ellistraiiee Drow as one tribe of elves on Abraxas. :smallsmile:

Moff Chumley
2008-07-30, 08:52 PM
I'd be happy to do the 4e conversion if you like. I have been homebrewing 4e non-stop since i got it mid July.

Also, for Yuan-ti, they could worship that evil god of poison and snakes. That's pretty Yuan-tiish. They could also worship the FR goddess Talona, whose domain is also poison.
And I vote for Ellistraiiee Drow as one tribe of elves on Abraxas. :smallsmile:

Aren't they just there for the sake of nude sword dancers anway? :smallmad: :smallbiggrin:

Shadow_Elf
2008-07-30, 10:32 PM
Aren't they just there for the sake of nude sword dancers anway? :smallmad: :smallbiggrin:

:annoyed:
They are there to cross-breed with surface elves to make Shadow Elves ! (see name) Also, the idea of Drow redeeming themselves fits the theme of GoN (the bad ones could be more Aztec-Temple haunts along with mind-flayers and yuan-ti. Self-serving Superior feeling Evil Drow get along with Self-serving Superior feeling evil Mind flayers, right?) Also, that way Lolth isn't bored with this world. We can't let her get bored, cause then she'd ruin GoN by inciting chaos everywhere!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Zeta Kai
2008-07-31, 12:50 PM
The map of Abraxas has been updated. Enjoy.

Also, for the record, Drow are banished, Shadow Elves are one race too many (we have a moratorium on new races in this world), & Lolth can bugger off to the Land of Wind & Ghosts for all I care.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-31, 12:53 PM
Ok, we need names for areas, because otherwise we have to say the North peninsula, but the small one, not the big one.

Zeta Kai
2008-07-31, 01:17 PM
Ok, we need names for areas, because otherwise we have to say the North peninsula, but the small one, not the big one.

I would agree with you for the other two continents (Oderike & Terasul), but Abraxas is an unexplored land. The people of the other two lands know almost nothing about it, & the natives only know their small safe pockets. Even the name Abraxas is an arbitrary designation. If we name anything here, we need to make sure that it's clear just how artificial the names are.

I think a good idea for naming things here would be this: once we've established the cultures for Terasul & Oderike, we should name things in Abraxas after them. This would be like what European colonists did during the Imperial Era in Africa, Pacifica, & the Americas. They made up names like New Amsterdam, Victoria Falls, Georgia, New Brunswick, & the Philipines. They named everything they saw after something or someone from back home, because those are the names they were familiar with.

Thoughts?

ApeofLight
2008-07-31, 01:55 PM
Yea I like it.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-31, 04:30 PM
Could you possibly layer a grid over the maps, so we can have coordinates? I just find it hard to think without being able to put locations down in writing...

Shadow_Elf
2008-07-31, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure i did it justice Zeta, but what do you think of this for 4e Oaves?

Oaves

"Nature's attempt at the epitome of laziness, the oaves are clumsy and carefree foragers"

Average Height: 6'8" - 8'2"
Average Weight: 800-1200

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
Size: Medium (see Oversized)
Speed: 6 Squares
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common, Oavish
Skill Bonuses: Nature +2, Athletics +2
Disease Resistance: +5 racial bonus to saving throws against poison
Adept Thrower: +2 racial bonus to attack and damage rolls when throwing heavy thrown weapons
Oversized: This creature may use equipment designed for creatures one size larger than it
Forager's Resilience: +2 to Fortitude defense

Play an oaf if you want:

To be lazy to a fault

To throw big weapons

To be a member of a race that favours the Fighter, Ranger and Warlock classes

Comments?

Zocelot
2008-07-31, 06:28 PM
This thread is now dedicated to discussion about Abraxes, the western continent (also known as the Continent of Mystery).

That's actually the East.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-31, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure i did it justice Zeta, but what do you think of this for 4e Oaves?

Oaves

"Nature's attempt at the epitome of laziness, the oaves are clumsy and carefree foragers"

Average Height: 6'8" - 8'2"
Average Weight: 800-1200

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
Size: Medium (see Oversized)
Speed: 6 Squares

Languages: Common, Oavish
Skill Bonuses: Nature +2, Athletics +2
Disease Resistance: +5 racial bonus to saving throws against poison
Adept Thrower: +2 racial bonus to attack and damage rolls when throwing heavy thrown weapons
Oversized: This creature may use equipment designed for creatures one size larger than it
Forager's Resilience: +2 to Fortitude defense

Play an oaf if you want:

To be lazy to a fault

To throw big weapons

To be a member of a race that favours the Fighter, Ranger and Warlock classes

Comments?

+2 Athletics couldn't be more out of place, but other than that, good job. Zeta can give the final critique, though.

Shadow_Elf
2008-07-31, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=Moff Chumley;4629321]+2 Athletics couldn't be more out of place.QUOTE]

Athletics is more ability than mind-set or any real desire to be Athletic. The rolling game described in Zeta's Thread on Oaves would require an Athletics check. If you can think of an ability that matches the race better, that's great, but i think that after Nature, there isn't an obvious second choice.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-01, 07:49 AM
Oaves

Your version of the Oaves looks great, SE. I don't know too much about 4E mechanics, but it looks like you've really done a faithful conversion job. Kudos.

I do agree, though, with Moff on the issue of Athletics. It does seem out of place & inconsistent with their concept. I understand your reasoning, but I still feel that a bonus to Athletics is wrong somehow. Just because they made the trundling game doesn't mean that their the best at it. I think it would be quite ammusing for a party of explorers to stumble upon a remote oaven village & completely school all the oaves at trundling. Of course, the party would probably need to make a quick exit after that, but hilarity ensues, so good times can be had by all.

I'm not sure what to replace the +2 Athletics with. I know the 4E typically avoids penalizing a race in any ability or skill, so the -2 to Hide & Move Silently that's in 3E would likely have to go. Perhaps the best solution is to replace the Athletics bonus with nothing at all.

Other than that petty nitpick, I love what you've done. I'm copying down this Oaf & saving it for the day I actually run a 4E campaign (whenever that is). I'll also post this version on the Oaves page, if you don't mind. Thanks again for your good work.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-01, 10:33 PM
I looked at the update post on the Oaves thread, and I strongly think that changing STR to +4 is way overpowered. Also, I think its still balanced if Nature is only +2.

Speaking of overpowering, check these out!

Oavish Feats:

Heroic Tier

Thickheaded [Oaf]
+2 to Will defense

Overpower [Oaf]
Prerequisites: Strength 15
When you hit an enemy with a melee basic attack, you deal additional damage equal to your Constitution Modifier

Paragon Tier

Improved Overpower [Oaf]
Prerequisites: Overpower, Strength 17
When you would deal bonus damage with Overpower, you may instead knock the opponent prone

Epic Tier
Master Overpower [Oaf]
Prerequisites: Improved Overpower, Strength 19
When you would deal bonus damage or knock and enemy prone with Improved Overpower, you can do both

Overpower gives any Oaf a viable alternative to at-will powers, useful depending on class. I think any Oaf can put Thickheaded to good use. Thoughts?

Zocelot
2008-08-03, 10:23 AM
Overpower is... overpowered, evn though it only applies melee basic attacks. It's pretty good this way, though if a warlord gives you a basic attack through commanders strike, you will do an absolute ****load of damage. I recommend that you only let overpower add half of your Con modifier. Even then, it can still be a nice bonus, without being too powerful.

I don't know what to do about the Paragon Tier feat. Prone is not a status to be taken lightly. Additionally, if you make the basic attack as an opportunity attack, you will stop their movement. To make it more balanced, you'd have to make a character use it less. Even though it's out of place for a feat to do, I think you should make it and encounter power.

I also suggest removing the Epic Tier feat. IIRC, no races have feats in the Epic Tier, and the feat is really, really overpowered anyway.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-05, 10:24 AM
I've updated post #1 to include everything that has been nailed down for Abraxas (& the world of Neve in general). This should make it easier for people to see what has been done & what still remains.

For the record, here's a list of Things Left To Do. If you see anything else that should be included, please let me know. Please keep in mind that Abraxas is a continent of mystery; most of it is either unpopulated, unexplored, in ruins, or completely unknown. This means that not all things will be revealed here.

Write-up on the New Imperial Colonies
Write-up on the Eladrin of Abraxas
Write-up on the Elves
Write-up on the Half-Elves
Write-up on the Illithids
Write-up on the Oaves (culture)
Write-up on the Yuan-ti
Nailing down the scale of the world
Adding a coordinate grid to the map

Lastly, I will be updating the maps again within the next few days.

puppyavenger
2008-08-05, 11:18 AM
While I could do the draconic colony write-up sometme this week

do we still have changlings as a major demographic?

Zeta Kai
2008-08-05, 01:04 PM
While I could do the draconic colony write-up sometme this week

do we still have changlings as a major demographic?

Unless I'm mistaken, we lost Changelings a while back. Are Changelings even in 4E?

puppyavenger
2008-08-05, 01:26 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, we lost Changelings a while back. Are Changelings even in 4E?

no idea, anyone have easy access to 4e books?

Zocelot
2008-08-05, 03:00 PM
Changelings do not have an entry in the MM. However, Doppelgangers are a Player Race it the back. Here is their entry:

Doppelganger
Average Height: 5'7" - 6'0"
Average Weight: 120-160 lb.

Ability scores: +2 Int, +2 Cha
Size: Medium
Speed: 6

Language(s): Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Insight
Mental Defense: +1 Racial bonus to Will
Change Shape: You can use change shape as an at-will power.

Change Shape Doppelganger Racial Power
You alter your form to look like some other humanoid.
At-Will * Polymorph
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You can alter your physical form to take on the appearance of any Medium humanoid, including a unique individual (see Change Shape, page 280)

The excerpt from 280 says:
The creature retains its statistics in its new form, and its clothing, armor and possesions do not change and art not absorbed into the new form. The form lasts until the creature changes it or until it dies.
If the creature is capable of assuming the form of a unique individiual, other creatures can attempt an insight check (opposed by the monster's bluff check) to pierce the disguise. The creature must have seen the individual it is imitating and gains a +20 bonus on it's bluff check.

Alternatively, someone could homebrew a changeling

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-05, 04:02 PM
In Terasul, there are 100+ doppelgangers working in Spellcrieg's spy network. I think they should be a race, but where from? Maybe he shipped them in from another dimension or something. Anyways, they make awesome spies and assassins.
Also, I'll do a write-up on the independant colony funded by the Dragon Twins in a bit. For independant colonies, I suggest this for a template:

Name: Name of settlement
Population: # of every race in the town
Military strength: How many of its population are fighters
Size: Scale of 1 - 10
Leader: Every Settlement needs a leader, either financially, exploratively or both
I think that pretty much covers all the bases. If n e one thinks of something to add, just say so.

Here we go (I used EDIT to avoid double-post):

Port Kharleerah
Location: Southwestern Coast, closer to the mountains than the coast
Population: About 200 dragonborn, about 50 others, more, depending on what adventurers pass through. Many are employed by the dragon twins. Places of Importance: Temple of Avandra, "Palace" of Rayzigiera (including a teleportation circle that takes the user to Lord Vershemes Manor)
Military Strength: About 50, not including adventurors in the employ of Rayzigiera or others
Size: 3 (not sure about this)
Leader: Rayzigiera the Traveller, Lady of Avandra. High Heroic (reads, level 10 solo leader)

ApeofLight
2008-08-06, 06:58 PM
Nice shadow elf. Im thinking maybe for size we should do square yards or miles. Also how big is abraxas roughly?

Zeta Kai
2008-08-06, 09:49 PM
Nice shadow elf. Im thinking maybe for size we should do square yards or miles. Also how big is abraxas roughly?

That is a really good question, one nobody has really addressed. Once we know that, we know the scale for the entire world.

My suggestion is ~1,000 miles wide/~3,000 miles long. That's a lot smaller than most would say though. Any other thoughts on this? Once I have a definitive number, I can add a scale to the maps. Perhaps even a grid/coordinate system.

Yorgelayheehoo
2008-08-06, 10:02 PM
Name: Echo Hall
Population: About 500 dwarves, 150 humans, 100 or so dragonborn, and a smattering of every other race.
Military strength: Around three quarters of those who call Echo Hall home can defend it with some skill.
Size: 8
Leader: Helg Hammerdall, guildmistress of the Anvil (dwarven smith) Guild of Echo Hall. She is a dwarven female Low Paragon Warlord (say somewhere around 11th level or so).

Echo Hall was found by the Anvil Guild whilst they were exploring for a good place to set up shop. They stumbled (quite literally) across an abandoned hall in the mountains. It was too old to be dwarven in construction, and a world away from the architecture and iconography that they knew, but the upper delves were still in good repair. They settled down and founded Echo Hall.

The lower areas of Echo Hall are crawling with abberant beasts and underdark dwellers of all kinds, most of which have only recently come to the attention of the people of Echo Hall. Helg Hammerdall is quite openly looking for a few brave souls to help her clear out the lower ruins of Echo Hall, and to perhaps solve the mystery of who built the hall in the first place.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-06, 10:17 PM
Population: About 500 dwarves, 150 humans, 100 or so dragonborn, and a smattering of every other race.

I really like everything (great ideas) but there is one problem with the above. I highly doubt that dragonborn would be in an Oderike based settlement in such great numbers, as they are from Terasul and really have very little to do with human and dwarven powers. Otherwise, great job!

Also, I'll start working on a map of Neve with CC3 soon. Not sure how good it'll be tho, still getting hang of it.

Yorgelayheehoo
2008-08-06, 10:19 PM
Y'see, I didn't know that. I, for some reason, can't get past the introduction of the main article.

I just thought that dragonborn and dwarves would like each other since their temperments and sensibilities are similar right out of the PHB.

ApeofLight
2008-08-06, 11:12 PM
They may have the same personalities but the dragonborn are the most powerful race (proably) in Gears of Neve. They dont need any help colinazing. I actually think that maybe we should keep the Terasul and Oderike settlements apart. Of course there would be private ventures with a good mixture of both continents.

Also no actually underdark but good ideas. I like it. Just nitpicking a few things I guess.

Zocelot
2008-08-07, 08:58 AM
I highly doubt that dragonborn would be in an Oderike based settlement in such great numbers, as they are from Terasul and really have very little to do with human and dwarven powers.

actually think that maybe we should keep the Terasul and Oderike settlements apart

We're talking about Abraxes here, not Oderike.

puppyavenger
2008-08-07, 09:02 AM
We're talking about Abraxes here, not Oderike.

he means that settlements from either Continent would be separate.

Yorgelayheehoo
2008-08-07, 10:56 AM
Thanks.

Well, with those in mind, I guess that the dragonborn that are there would be investing in the new settlement. If they're that powerful, they probably need something to do with their time, and putting their effort into a new settlement full of unexplored areas seems like it would be a nice thing that they would do, right?

Am I horribly wrong yet?

Moff Chumley
2008-08-07, 11:22 AM
Not really. I have no problems with integrated settlements.

ApeofLight
2008-08-07, 12:56 PM
I have no qualms with intergrated settlements but it needs a reason. Perhaps the dwarfs asked for dragonborn military help to protect the main area from the creepy crawlers.

Yorgelayheehoo
2008-08-07, 02:21 PM
That could be too.

So.....

Echo Hall is a city filled with craftsdwarves, guarded by dragonborn, and patronized by pretty much everyone else. The adventurers come in when the creatures below the Hall are getting rambuctious, sending them into a series of beautiful underground environments chock full of monsters and treasure.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-08, 11:47 AM
So, I just posted in the Footprints Magazine thread about the possibility of a Gears of Neve appearence there. I think this needs some discussion. Does anybody have any thoughts on what we should do for that?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-08, 12:27 PM
Very good Idea.

As I posted in that thread, maybe a general introduction to what we're doing here.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-08, 02:31 PM
Multi-thread Simu-post:
I agree Gwyn. A basic introduction to the general setting. Our goals, our intent, some of the basics of what been made so far. This is an upbeat, explorartion-themed setting, which is why Abraxas is mostly unpopulated, & will only receive heavy detail in the new colonies. I think that fits the current Footsteps theme (jungles, woodlands, & exploration) perfectly.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-09, 07:24 PM
Well, I'm pretty busy at the moment, so I don't really have time to write a multi page setting intro. I can contribute small parts if you give me an idea of what I should be doing, though. :smallsmile:

ApeofLight
2008-08-12, 10:15 AM
So is someone going to do a write up of what where doing?

Zeta Kai
2008-08-12, 11:38 AM
So is someone going to do a write up of what where doing?

Did I just hear you volunteer? :smallwink:

Siegel
2008-08-12, 12:53 PM
Just a (stupid noob) Question. What is an Oave and where can i find it ?

Zeta Kai
2008-08-12, 01:05 PM
Just a (stupid noob) Question. What is an Oave and where can i find it ?

0) We have all been a pixie/noob once, & were never stupid for that reason alone.

1) An Oaf is an Oaf. The plural of Oaf is Oaves, much like the plural of Elf is Elves, & the plural of Dwarf is Dwarves.

2) See my signature for a link to the original Oaves thread (Project #1).

Moff Chumley
2008-08-12, 01:10 PM
Zeta's going to kill me for this, but they're lazy, fat orcy guys. *runs from bugy eyed alien's wrath, back to the smbg from whence I came*

Zeta Kai
2008-08-12, 01:16 PM
Zeta's going to kill me for this, but they're lazy, fat orcy guys. *runs from bugy eyed alien's wrath, back to the smbg from whence I came*

No, that pretty much sums it up, although I wouldn't describe them as "orcy". They're big, dumb, lazy, smelly, & crude. Orcs are some of those things, but more often they're violent & territorial. Oaves rarely make the effort to fight for turf (which is why they don't have any).

Also, Moff, I might note that your new avatar is also a bug-eyed alien, & yours looks more wrathful. :smalltongue:

ApeofLight
2008-08-15, 03:15 PM
So what else do we need to do here?

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-15, 04:01 PM
We still need Racial Writeups, Settlement Writeups and Important Persons for Abraxes, and Country Writeups and Important Persons for Oderike. Terasul just needs some more dragons and a few more famous people.

Also, I have the perfect way to incorporate drow! (Please hear me out, I'm getting desparate)

Ok, so there were two tribes of elves that discovered the abandonned temples. Some were inhabited by the mind flayers, so they kept out of those.

One set of temples turned out to have artifacts of Zehir in them, which corrupted one tribe and made them into the temple-dwelling venomous yuan-ti.

The other non-mind flayer set of temples were temples of Lolth, who turned the elves into subterranean dwelling Drow and some of them into Driders.

And now the Snake, Spider and Squid people are at war! (Triple S inadvertant)

Some Drow and Yuan-ti abhorred the way their people have become, so they ventured to the surface to try and seek redemption (fits /w the theme, eh?) from the Seldarine (principle among them Corellon). Now Surface Drow, or Dark Elves, and Jungle Yuan-ti, or Serpent Elves, worship Ellistraiee, who in Neve is a goddess of redemption and the night sky (sorry Ellistraiee, the moon was already taken)

I'm volunteering to do writeups for Yuan-Ti, Drow, Mind Flayers, Dark Elves and Snake Elves if this is approved. Thoughts?

Zeta Kai
2008-08-15, 05:33 PM
Well, you get points for effort & enthusiasm, Shadow Elf. You got my endorsement. As long as you adhere to the setting's core concepts, I have no fundamental qualm with these ideas. If your willing to do all those write-ups, then more power to you.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-15, 07:30 PM
Eh, fine. Good enough for me.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-17, 03:32 PM
Yuan-ti
The Yuan-ti are elves who fell into the worship of Zehir, deep below the ancient temples of Abraxes. Zehir transformed them over time, making them into the venomous snake-elves they are today.
Lands
The Yuan-ti live in deep tunnels below the temples of Abraxes. They only come to the suface to worship their god, and are otherwise subterranean beings.
Demography
95% Yuan-ti, 5% other
Yuan-ti scale colours range from black and brown to dark orange and green.
Religion
The Yuan-ti worship Zehir exclusively, and they do so by sacrificing Underdark creatures, as well as their sworn enemies, the Drow and the Ilithids. They use exotic poisons and intricate sacificial daggers during these sacrifices.
Relations
The Yuan-ti hate the Drow and the Ilithids, as well as their surface cousins the Elves, Half-Elves and Eladrin. However, they hold their deepest hatred for the Serpentara, the Yuan-ti who abandonned the worship of Zehir and the safety of the Underdark for the open skies and the forgiveness of the Seldarine.
Government
The Yuan-ti are ruled by a theocracy. The priests and death knights of Zehir rule the high caste and the government, while the rest of the Yuan-ti are typically hunters or soldiers or craftsmen.

Night Sky
The Elven nation of Night Sky consists of Serpentara and Dark Elves, two formerly elven races who, while subjugated to the transformations of their evil kin, decided to return to the old life on the surface as best as they could.
Lands
Night Sky is located in the less dense sections of the forests and jungles, on the Eastern side of the Mountains, Northwest of the Ruins. It comprises one large city, Starlight, as well as several small hamlets in the surrounding areas.
Demography
40% Dark Elf, 40% Sepentara, 8% Elf, 10% Shadow Elf, 2% other
Dark Elves' skin ranges from ebon black to deep brown, and their hair is usually white, gray or silver
Sepentara scale colours range from violet and azure to gold and scarlet.
Shadow Elves have pale blue-grey skin, and blue-black or pale silver hair
Religion
The elves of Night Sky worship the Seldarine, Ellistraiee, daughter of Corellon, chief among them. They seek forgiveness for their folly in allowing their kin to fall to Lolth and Zehir, as well as for following them in this act.
Relations
Night Sky gets along very well with the other Elven nations and settlements, with open trade of goods and knowledge also open to the settlements of Terasul and Oderike. It is subjected often to surface raids by its most hated enemy, the Drow, and it openly hates the Yuan-ti, although the evil snake-elves will not surface except to pray in the ancient temples.
Government
Night Sky is ruled by a democratic council, which is elected every three decades. The council has ten members, which are typicaly representative of the country's demographics. This council is responsable with dealing with everything from trade negotiations to the management of the country's defenses against creatures of the jungle and the Drow. A councilman can be elected any number of consecutive times, as long as they are voted in by majority.

Mind Flayers
The Mind Flayers, or Ilithids, of Abraxes live deep below the temples of the ruins in the Underdark. They are frail, squid-like things that use their overwhelming psionic abilities to break the minds of prey or enemies before turning them into mindless slaves or consuming their gray matter for sustenance.
Lands
The Mind Flayers live in one city, known as Abjol Kai (haven't finalised the name yet. Thought it sorta sounded cool), that lies deep below the ancient and forgotten temples of Torog, god of the Underdark.
Demography
40% Mind Flayer, 10% Yuan-ti, 20% Drow, 30% Other
Religion
The Mind Flayers serve no higher purpose but to further their research and their own abitions. They perform often lethal experiments on other races freely, and carry no respect for anything that is not a Mind Flayer. They have a measure of respect for any being that has mastered the intricacies of psionics, as well as for the scheming Drow, whose mentality towards others tends to reflect their own.
Relations
The Mind Flayers hold no respect for the lives of others. They are in a sort of Cold Wat with the Yuan-ti, from which they have gained many of their Yuan-ti mind slaves. They get along somewhat with the Drow, and not all, or even most, of the Drow in Abjol Kai are dominated.
Government
The Mind Flayers are ruled by a sentient Overmind, which they revere greatly and protect with their lives. The psionic presence of the Overmind gives the Mind Flayers a sort of Hive Mind system, with which they may instantly warn any other Ilithid of an approaching danger or a quick meal.

Drow to come. As Zeta mentioned earlier, Drow society can be a pain to explain. Also, player race stats for Serpentara and Shadow Elves will be posted soon.

ApeofLight
2008-08-17, 06:57 PM
Wow this is all really good. I should probably go do some more stuff with oderike.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-17, 09:24 PM
Great work, SE. Way to keep this project alive. Please keep it up.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-17, 10:10 PM
Thanks! I knew I could bribe you all with mass writeups convince you that we needed the Drow. Here's PC racial stats for my treasured Shadow Elves :smallbiggrin:

Shadow Elves

“Agile Elves at home beneath the stars and the ground”

Racial Traits
Average Height: 5’4” – 6’0”
Average Weight: 130-170 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
Speed: 7 squares
Vision: Low-Light

Languages: Common, Elven, Drow
Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature OR +2 Dungeoneering, as well as +2 Acrobatics
Unique Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the Shortsword, Shortbow, Longsword and Longbow
Twofold Education: Gain one bonus feat at level 1
Mixed Heritage: You can take any feats that have elf or drow as a prerequisite, as long as you meet any other prerequisites
Forgiveness of the Seldarine: You can use Starlight as an encounter power

Starlight Shadow Elf Racial Power
“You focus a dazzling beam of Starlight on a foe, causing them great dizziness”
Encounter * Necrotic or Radiant
Standard Action Range 10
Attack: Wisdom +2 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Wisdom modifier damage and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.
Increase to +4 and 2d8 at level 11 and +6 and 3d8 at level 21.
When you create your character choose either Necrotic or Radiant. Your Starlight racial power deals this type of damage. This choice cannot be changed once made.

Racial Feats

Dazzling Light [Shadow Elf]
Prerequisites: Shadow Elf, Starlight racial power
Benefit: Increase the range of your Starlight by 10 squares.

Drow Heritage [Shadow Elf]
Prerequisites: Shadow Elf
Benefit: You gain Darkvision.
You gain a +1 feat bonus to Perception checks.

Paragon Tier:

Starmight [Shadow Elf]
Prerequisites: Shadow Elf, Starlight racial power, Wisdom 15
Benefit: Use d12’s for the damage of your racial power instead of d8’s.

Lights Out [Shadow Elf]
Prerequisites: Shadow Elf, Drow Heritage feat, Starlight racial power, Wisdom 15
Benefit: You may choose to blind the target instead of daze them.

Epic Tier:

Lingering Flash [Shadow Elf]
Prerequisites: Lights out racial feat
Benefit: The target of your Starlight racial power must save against the after-effects, rather than have them apply until the end of your next turn

They favour the Ranger, Rogue and Cleric classes

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-18, 04:44 PM
*Bump*

Sorry about the double post. I was worried no one else was here :smallfrown:

Anyways, here's the Player Race stats for the Serpentara. PEACH and enjoy!

Serpentara

“Cousins of the Yuan-ti who have shunned their venomous ways to live beneath the stars in freedom”

Racial Traits
Average Height: 5’10” – 7’0”
Average Weight: 180-250 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-Light

Languages: Common, Elven,
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 Diplomacy
Venomous Heritage: You gain a +5 bonus to saving throws against the effects of poison
Snake’s Quickness: You may replace your Strength modifier with your Dexterity modifier when using light blades, heavy blades or javelins.
Razor Wit: You may use either your Dexterity modifier or your Intelligence modifier for the purposes of Initiative rolls.
Forgiveness of the Seldarine: You may use Curative Aura as a daily power

Curative Aura Serpentara Racial Power
“You begin to emit a calming aura that shields you allies against negative effects”
Daily
Standard Action Close Burst 1
Effect: You and all allies within the burst gain a +1 bonus to saving throws.
Sustain Minor: The aura persists
Special: This bonus becomes +2 at level 11 and +3 at level 21.

Racial Feats

Extended Aura [Serpentara]
Prerequisites: Serpentara, Curative Aura racial power.
Benefit: Increase the area of curative aura to Burst 2

First Impressions [Serpentara]
Prerequisites: Serpentara
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to Diplomacy checks
You gain a +5 bonus to Diplomacy checks against people whom you have never met.

Paragon Tier:

Uplifting Aura [Serpentara]
Prerequisites: Serpentara, Curative Aura racial power, First Impressions feat, Charisma 15
Benefit: Each ally in the burst when your curative aura is activated can make a saving throw as a free action

Tangible Aura [Serpentara]
Prerequisites: Serpentara, Curative Aura racial power, Charisma 15
Benefit: Rather than confer a bonus to saving throws, the bonus may instead be applied to all defences. This decision is made at time of casting.

Epic Tier:

Translucent Fog [Serpentara]
Prerequisites: Tangible Aura racial feat
Benefit: Any creatures in the aura gain light cover. You ignore this cover when attacking foes that are within the area of your aura.

They favour the Warlord, Warlock and Wizard classes

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-18, 06:52 PM
I don't see the point in making Serpentara statistically different from Yuan-ti. They're still the same species, just recently seperated, are they not?

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-18, 07:17 PM
Only trouble is, there are no Player Race stats for the Yuan-ti. Not even in the Monster Manual. So, I came up with this. Any thoughts on the power level of the racial power? There are plenty of at-will and encounter racial powers, but correct me if I'm wrong, this is the first daily racial power.

Also, I didn't put anything about jumping, but I think it would be physically improbable for a snake to jump. 4e has done away with the racial penalties, so no deficit to jumping allowed. I figured we could suspend realism in the face of game mechanics, right?

Dark Elves have the same stats as Drow from the MM. I might replace Lolthtouched with a comparable Forgiveness of the Seldarine alternative.

Drow writeup will come. Eventually.

ApeofLight
2008-08-19, 12:04 AM
I'm going to get some stuff up in Oderike in a couple of days.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-19, 08:06 PM
Menzoberranzan Arachnacrist, City of the Drow
Arachnacrist is the City of the Drow, known for its devoted worship of Lolth, as well as for its powerful Wizards, Clerics and Warlocks. It is one of the only mass-producers and traders of magical items in Abraxas, alongside the Mind Flayers of Abjol Kai.

Lands
The Drow of Abraxas’ Underdark live in a great city built inside a massive subterranean cavern, deep below the long-abandoned surface temples of the Spider Queen, Lolth.

Demography
90% Drow, 5% Mind Flayer, 5% other.

Religion
The Drow worship Lolth exclusively, and her priestesses rule the matriarchal society of Arachnacrist. All Drow worship Lolth at least in reverence, and those who do not are often sacrificed on the altar, or run away to Night Sky, to live among the Dark Elves who have abandoned Lolth’s blessings and the darkness of the Underdark.

Relations
Arachnacrist is at war with the Yuan-ti, and while attempts have never been made by either party to assault a major city, skirmishes take place on a nearly weekly basis. Sleep poison, one of the Drow’s most effective weapons in combat, is nearly useless as it cannot overcome the poison-resistance of the Yuan-ti. And so, the Drow have been unable to gain a firm upper-hand. They trade in magic items with the Ilithids, as they are one of the few non-Drow races the Drow respect. They run raids at night on the surface country of Night Sky, to which many rebel drow have fled. Many an elf has been killed in cold blood by the bidding of Lolth, and by the hand of her followers.

Government
The Drow live in houses, and the houses form a chain of command, the Matrons, or highest Priestesses, ruling each house as an individual. The eight, with reference to the eight legs of a spider, most powerful houses of Arachnacrist form the High Council. Assassinations and warfare are common, even between the individual houses. However, the primary rule is that a house which destroys another must leave no witnesses alive. Should a witness present the name of the house to the High Council, the Council exacts Lolth’s judgement upon the attacking house by destroying it. Any survivors of a house’s destruction are typically assimilated into a house of the High Council.

Here you go. Its basically a ripoff of the FR drow (see above reference), but hey, it works. And instead of Svirfneblin, they hate the Yuan-ti. Also, no goblinoid slaves, to conform with the geography and theme of the setting.
Thoughts? If its too similar, I will require several days of meditation to cleanse myself of all Drizzt references before attempting again. :smallsigh:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-19, 08:27 PM

Is it just me, or does Lolthtouched sound a bit...
wrong...

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-19, 08:32 PM

Is it just me, or does Lolthtouched sound a bit...
wrong...

Indeed. It has a weird name, but the abilities are pretty good. Globe of Darkness should have the option of being used at range, but I guess the idea was it was to try and get an edge w/o provoking AO's. Faerie Fire is actually useful, which is nice. Also, once my Disenchanter is done, Serpentara will have favoured class Disenchanter instead of Wizard, I believe. They will be, like, bufftastic.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-24, 05:31 PM
*Bump*

I sincerely hope that poor Neve is not being forgotten. To summarize, we still need:

Abraxes
- 3-5 writeups on various Elven/Half-Elven tribes.
- a writeup for the Eladrin of Abraxes (Terasul Eladrin are done)
- a writeup for the Oaves
- 4-6 writeups on new world settlements (we need variety)
- a writeup (or a few) on native monsters to install in players' dungeon crawls

Oderike
- a writeup for the Gnomes
- a write up for the Principle League
- a write for the Dwarves
- a writeup for the goblinoids (hobgoblin, goblin and bugbear all are included)
- a write up for that other Human/Dwarven country
- a writeup (or a few) on native monsters to install in players' dungeon crawls
(correct me if I'm wrong on any counts here; not familiar with Oderike)

Terasul
- a few more Dragon-Gods
- a few more major Tiefling City-States
- some serious Thread Necromancy
- a writeup (or a few) on native monsters blah blah blah

Take any job you'd like and post your writeup there. I will perform some Thread Necromancy and post these lists on Terasul and Oderike. Please don't let this die on us. Your donation of ______ writeups will help go towards the ressurection of Neve.

puppyavenger
2008-08-24, 06:16 PM
do the drow have to be insane matriarchal phsycobitches? that's pretty much what everyone doesn't like about them. and wasn't there a drow pantheon? anyway, I don't know, FR drow always just rub me the wrong....okay that came out wrong, but you get the idea.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-24, 06:22 PM
the insane psychobitches are a dark stereotypical counterpoint to emphasize the the redeeming qualities of the kindearted Dark Elves living upon the surface, and I believe that they therefore conform to the theme of the setting.
If enough people have a problem with them though, I will write a new society for them. It will just take a few weeks/months to purge myself of all Drizzt in my system. Which will be hard with the next book coming out in October.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-24, 06:36 PM
Well everyone, Chumley has returned to the great lands of Neve. School has reared it's ugly head, and I haven't been able to concentrate on something like Neve, but I'm back! I like all of the things you've done with the elven ofshoots, but unfortunately, I'm not digging the Drow. I'd say have it be something more similar to Dark Elves in Warhammer 40k. That would be awesome, creepy, and quite genuinely scary.
Sometimes when fervor for Lolth runs high, you can hear their demented music and screams of who know's what from the surface...
Dohun Waterfurd, Human Adventurer

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-24, 07:03 PM
Well everyone, Chumley has returned to the great lands of Neve. School has reared it's ugly head, and I haven't been able to concentrate on something like Neve, but I'm back! I like all of the things you've done with the elven ofshoots, but unfortunately, I'm not digging the Drow. I'd say have it be something more similar to Dark Elves in Warhammer 40k. That would be awesome, creepy, and quite genuinely scary.
Sometimes when fervor for Lolth runs high, you can hear their demented music and screams of who know's what from the surface...
Dohun Waterfurd, Human Adventurer

Go right on ahead, as long as they hate Yuan-ti, Suface Elves and traitors, and they get along with Mind Flayers, its fine by me. However, I do not play Warhammer 40k, and I don't get the reference.
Also, very creepy quote. :smalleek:
Can anyone comment on the balance of the racial stats? I think things are balanced when I make them, but sometimes some1 else's perspective is key to making it playable.

puppyavenger
2008-08-24, 07:37 PM
sorry, I've never even seen a 4e rule book, I'm just doing this as a creative exercise.

i still like the idea of a small group of elves worshiping the mindflayers as demons that need regular sacrifices to be kept in their temples.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-24, 07:47 PM
i still like the idea of a small group of elves worshiping the mindflayers as demons that need regular sacrifices to be kept in their temples.

If the Ilithids have elves as allies, they can't also have elves as worshippers. They have enough mind slaves that they won't really need worshippers. Maybe a stupider race such as the *leafs through monster manual* Grimlocks. Yeah, Grimlocks (MM page 148, says they are Underdark beings that are blind and usually serve as thralls to more powerful monsters). That's who shall worship the Ilithids. Any comments?

puppyavenger
2008-08-24, 07:50 PM
If the Ilithids have elves as allies, they can't also have elves as worshippers. They have enough mind slaves that they won't really need worshippers. Maybe a stupider race such as the *leafs through monster manual* Grimlocks. Yeah, Grimlocks (MM page 148, says they are Underdark beings that are blind and usually serve as thralls to more powerful monsters). That's who shall worship the Ilithids. Any comments?
they have drow as allies, I'm talkng abou some sort of superstition among the surface elves of the area that there are demons in the tunnels, and if you camp near them, you need to give the demons a sacrifice to prevent them from stealing some of the tribe.

what. I like the idea.

Zocelot
2008-08-24, 07:55 PM
Shadow Elves have no use for shortbows, because they are medium creatures.

Curative Aura is fine, but I'd recommend only being able to use it when not bloodied.

Tangible Aura and Translucent fog are very, very powerful. Essentially, you get +5 to AC, +3 to other defenses until you are bloodied (Though only once per day). My fix is removing Tangible Aura completely. A +2 bonus and the ability to hide is much less overpowered.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-24, 08:01 PM
Shadow Elves have no use for shortbows, because they are medium creatures.

Curative Aura is fine, but I'd recommend only being able to use it when not bloodied.

Tangible Aura and Translucent fog are very, very powerful. Essentially, you get +5 to AC, +3 to other defenses until you are bloodied (Though only once per day). My fix is removing Tangible Aura completely. A +2 bonus and the ability to hide is much less overpowered.

Instead of Tangible Aura, perhaps they pick a SINGLE defence, other than AC, to promote? Or maybe the Aura becomes difficult terrain for non allies (this may be overpowered as it essentially would cost twice as much movement to get close to the Serpentara and beat on it)
Ty for mechanics feedback. Shortbows is basically just for flavour. THere isn't anything I could add instead of equal value really.

Zocelot
2008-08-24, 08:31 PM
Since the aura is only burst 1, it will only cost 1 additional square to reach you.

If you don't want the +2 and +5 bonus of First Impressions to stack, you'll have to specify that the +5 is a feat bonus. If you do want them to stack, it's a tad overpowered, considering that most of the time you'll be using diplomacy on monsters you have just met.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-24, 10:30 PM
Clarifications: First Impressions only works on the first Diplomacy check against a creature. I.e. if you fail your first diplo, you don't get the +5 bonus or your second attempt. Still overpowered?
The aura is Close Burst 2 if you take the extended aura (I think that's what I named it) feat. This would cost an extra two movement for Land-based units to reach you whenever you have your aura active. Is this unfair, since every Serpentara caster would put all their feats into Curative Aura to make them harder to hit/get to?

bue52
2008-09-19, 10:56 PM
I there anything I can help out with? I'm willing to contribute, though, maybe a week later, but the problem is I have no idea where to start.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-20, 03:40 PM
I there anything I can help out with? I'm willing to contribute, though, maybe a week later, but the problem is I have no idea where to start.

Post #1 has a "Things Left To Do" section, which says:

* Write-up on the New Imperial Colonies
* Write-up on the Eladrin of Abraxas
* Write-up on the Elves
* Write-up on the Half-Elves
* Write-up on the Illithids
* Write-up on the Oaves (culture)
* Write-up on the Yuan-ti
* Nailing down the scale of the world
* Adding a coordinate grid to the map

bue52
2008-09-20, 04:55 PM
Post #1 has a "Things Left To Do" section, which says:

* Write-up on the New Imperial Colonies
* Write-up on the Eladrin of Abraxas
* Write-up on the Elves
* Write-up on the Half-Elves
* Write-up on the Illithids
* Write-up on the Oaves (culture)
* Write-up on the Yuan-ti
* Nailing down the scale of the world
* Adding a coordinate grid to the map

Ok... I see what I can do, though, I am not too sure the concepts behind any of them for this campaign, so looks like I gotta read all the pages before.

puppyavenger
2008-09-20, 05:24 PM
Ok... I see what I can do, though, I am not too sure the concepts behind any of them for this campaign, so looks like I gotta read all the pages before.

you might want to read Tersul and Oderike too, there a bit more finished... well Tersul pretty much was finished, before this project died..

bue52
2008-09-20, 05:25 PM
ok, thanks for the tip.

chiasaur11
2008-09-21, 03:34 PM
you might want to read Tersul and Oderike too, there a bit more finished... well Tersul pretty much was finished, before this project died..

Yup.

A few more people written up wouldn't have hurt, but it was pretty much done.

And the setting is only mostly dead.