PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a seperate forum? 4E vs 3.5/3.0

Galdor Miriel
2008-06-10, 12:58 PM
The title says it all.

With the fourth edition rule set out and being played, people are understandably excited, which is cool. But should the 4E rule set have its own forum here at the optimization/character concept building place to be?

My own view is yes.

My D&D group however is at level 12 in shackled city, level 10 in age of worms and planning to finish both of them. This means that we will not play 4E for a while. So I am still interested in just the the 3.5 threads where I can pick up some cool ideas. The 4E stuff is cool, but as I am not going to buy the books anywhere else I have a whole bunch of threads popping up that I do not want to check out.

What's your view?

p.s. This is just an idea, maybe even a suggestion, and not a criticism.

Galdor

SamTheCleric
2008-06-10, 01:07 PM
That would be a silly idea, because then we'd need a forum for 2e (there are still players of that)... and 1e (ditto)... World of Darkness... (both old and new)... Paranoia... Exalted... (first and second edition)... and so on... and so on...

We have a gaming thread... cause... well... its for all the gaming. :smallcool:

Sucrose
2008-06-10, 01:14 PM
Aye; this is basically the same idea as making a separate forum for versus threads; it's part of the forum's topic, so it stays.

Jimp
2008-06-10, 01:19 PM
The board is called Gaming (d20 and General RPG). It's not a D&D only board, it just happens that most people here play it. There are often threads about other systems like Exalted, Dark Heresy or Mutants and Masterminds. If it was changed to a 4e board then the other systems should get boards of their own too.

The Necroswanso
2008-06-10, 01:20 PM
So, just because you don't want to check them out they should be elsewhere? That's a little facist. :3 j/k

Anyway, I'm going to echo Samthecleric. Seperating one would require the seperation of all.

Galdor Miriel
2008-06-10, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the polite comments, I guess you guys are right about the other gaming systems, before the last couple of weeks the board was dominated by 3.5, now it is dominated by 4e, this is the nature of the beast.

Don't think my idea was so crazy as to warrant being called a fascist though. It was just raising the possibility of a reorganisation. Maybe you should chill on the insults.

Worira
2008-06-10, 01:57 PM
So, just because you don't want to check them out they should be elsewhere? That's a little facist. :3 j/k

Anyway, I'm going to echo Samthecleric. Seperating one would require the seperation of all.

Except that it actually wouldn't. You could easily have one board for DnD 4E, one for 3.5, and one for everything else. That way, people who don't want to wade through endless 4E arguments don't have to, and people who want to talk about Exalted or Shadowrun don't have to wade through endless 3.5 threads.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-10, 02:13 PM
What the heck? We don't even have a D&D 3rd edition forum; why should we have a separate D&D 4E forum?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-10, 02:32 PM
That way, people who don't want to wade through endless 4E arguments don't have to, and people who want to talk about Exalted or Shadowrun don't have to wade through endless 3.5 threads.
But then why should the Exalted people have to wade through the Shadowrun and Rifts and Paranoia and Amber and Earthdawn and World of Darkness and Alternity and all those other system threads?

Worira
2008-06-10, 02:43 PM
Because there aren't actually enough of those to really interfere with anything.

Starbuck_II
2008-06-10, 02:43 PM
But then why should the Exalted people have to wade through the Shadowrun and Rifts and Paranoia and Amber and Earthdawn and World of Darkness and Alternity and all those other system threads?

The computer disagrees with that citizen.

Zeta Kai
2008-06-10, 02:45 PM
Separation wouldn't be a bad idea, but it is ultimately in the hands of the administrators. It would probably be best if we the forum members simply title or threads according to the game we are talking about. This has already been the norm for non-D&D threads, & has begun to occur in the 4E/3.5E threads, as well. Perhaps our own etiquette will make this issue moot? Stranger things have happened.

Matthew
2008-06-10, 02:57 PM
All we really need is for people to tag their threads with [4e] [D20] [AD&D] [WoD] [Generic]... or whatever. Then you can tell at a glance which threads you might be interested in. Of course, that means you might miss out on a bunch of interesting information that pertains particularly to a different system, but that's the trade off for such things.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-06-10, 03:09 PM
I was originally going to suggest the OP's suggestion as well. I really don't see anything wrong with having a sub forum for 3e and 4e. D&D is quite obviously the most discussed, and thats the truth. You wouldn't need sub forums for all the other systems. Don't try and make out like "just because D&D is the most discussed, doesn't mean that there arn't other stoofz out there! Stop leaving us out!" You just wouldn't need sub-forums for the other stuff, its not like they would have more than 3-4 threads at one time. But hey, if you wanted sub-forums for all the other systems too, I also see nothing wrong with that (its not like anyones getting charged for these extra thread-holders right? Bad idea or not).

All we really need is for people to tag their threads with [4e] [D20] [AD&D] [WoD] [Generic]... or whatever. Then you can tell at a glance which threads you might be interested in. Of course, that means you might miss out on a bunch of interesting information that pertains particularly to a different system, but that's the trade off for such things.

If ^^ cant be accomplished, then I would very much so prefer this. I still cant tell what system the Arcane Lock thread is reffering to...

Kurald Galain
2008-06-10, 05:44 PM
The title says it all.

No, but we do need a separate forum for each individual character class. I play a rogue, I don't want to hear about any steenkin' clerics.