PDA

View Full Version : A big thank you to our Soldiers =)

Lupy
2008-06-10, 05:39 PM
Hello everyone, I'd just like to thank all the American (and British and Polish, and other nations) troops who are over in the middle east right now. Regardless of how you feel about the war, those men and women are over there risking their lives, and I'd like to thank them for it. If any of you feel the same way I do, just leave a thankyou here. :smallsmile:

Moff Chumley
2008-06-10, 07:25 PM
Support our teachers.

No dishonor intended, of course, but I think America has it's priorities misplaced sometimes... [cough, no politics rule, cough, damn...]

Solo
2008-06-10, 08:04 PM
And support our incredibly sarcastic internet users as well.

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-10, 08:08 PM
Like we need their support. :P

Lord Omberous
2008-06-10, 08:09 PM
Didn't you know? They are the people who control the world!

SDF
2008-06-10, 08:11 PM
Like we need their support. :P

GitP: The Wonderbra of internet communities!

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-10, 08:18 PM
You know... this post was originally alot longer.
Then I cut it down, because I can't speak for everyone.
Thanks for the sentiment, but I'd prefer a PM instead of a thread which will, inevitably, offend somebody, somewhere.
No, I'm not in the Middle East, but I know at least one Playgrounder is, for the time being.

I know I, at least, am just going to say "Its my job. No need to thank me."
[/seriousnote]
Also, support the doctors & nurses and all those health care professional-people.
And Weather-guessers. Yes.
Support Weather-guessers!

North
2008-06-10, 09:52 PM
I do agree with the sentiments of the OP. However this is probably too close to politics to be within board rules.

Jack Squat
2008-06-10, 10:01 PM
I don't believe showing support for troops is considered political unless we start discussing why they are doing what they're doing.

To soldiers, I appreciate what you're doing to no end, stay safe.

NinjaHippy
2008-06-10, 10:17 PM

I can't help but think that saying "Support the troops because they're risking their lives, even if you don't support the war" could just as easily be used to support the "other" side as well as our own. Both armies' troops are risking their lives, and often the risk to life and limb is greater on the opposite side of the battlelines.

I'm not defending or attacking the actions of either faction, but the statement "Support our troops" does connote a certain moral superiority (or at least, a sense that our troops are more worth supporting than anybody else's).

EvilElitest
2008-06-10, 10:20 PM
I support the troops, and i have to feel very sorry for them now it must be hard.
from
EE

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-10, 10:26 PM
GitP: The Wonderbra of internet communities!

That wins today's awesome award. :smallbiggrin: <3

Vuzzmop
2008-06-10, 10:55 PM
Careful guys, keep it swiss.

I don't see where this thread is going other than offending someone on the other side of the conflict. Good on the troops on both sides, they et the job done either way.

North
2008-06-11, 02:13 AM
Careful guys, keep it swiss.

I don't see where this thread is going other than offending someone on the other side of the conflict. Good on the troops on both sides, they et the job done either way.

Umm... Stating neutrality, then posting a loaded comment.:smallconfused:

Id better stay away from here.

FoE
2008-06-11, 02:25 AM
No love for the Canadian troops in Afghanistan? :smallfrown:

Probably best to let this thread die. A noble sentiment, but likely to devolve into a political discussion ... like it already has.

Serpentine
2008-06-11, 02:28 AM
Careful guys, keep it swiss....Holy?
:smalltongue:

I agree that soldiers need to be supported by their respective nations, and brought back safe'n'sound asap. *nods*

Dryken
2008-06-11, 02:31 AM
Indeed, support the troops from all places.

The rebel war against the galactic empire has been going on for years and it's such a pointless, pointless war. I don't really have any feelings on the matter, since I'm from a planet that is of no use to the empire or the rebels except for a rendez-vous point. But I do know that Lord Vader and Senator Leia Organa (Alderaan: Never Forget) are doing their best on both sides to end this thing and bring a sense of normalcy to the lives of the folk in the galaxy.

So either empire or rebel, thanks to the troops who are out fighting for the good of the galaxy!

poleboy
2008-06-11, 05:46 AM
I generally don't support people with guns unless they're pointing them at me or shooting people with black hats in a video game/movie.

Solo
2008-06-11, 06:21 AM
I generally don't support people with guns unless they're pointing them at me or shooting people with black hats in a video game/movie.

Part of your post confuses me.

poleboy
2008-06-11, 06:24 AM

I am talking about penises, of course.

Spiryt
2008-06-11, 06:25 AM

It's perfectly logical to me. If someone is pointing a gun at you it's better too support him. (Only to the point when they aren't pointing at you any more, but still).

Zar Peter
2008-06-11, 06:32 AM
It's perfectly logical to me. If someone is pointing a gun at you it's better too support him. (Only to the point when they aren't pointing at you any more, but still).

At last one opinion I can agree with. As long as the americans are pointing with their gun in my direction I support their troops.
Since they don't do it...

And this thread is highly political.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-11, 01:00 PM
I have often seen the "Support Our Troops" slogan and the like used politically, but I think ideally it should be an apolitical statement, at least within the boundaries of whatever you consider to be your country. (I can understand people from one country not feeling a need to say a big thank you to soldiers of another country, at least not this generation.) Of course there will be exceptions; I would not say thank you to troops who are knowingly and willingly committing crimes... which then leads to a discussion of the definition of crime, which we'd better not start here.

Not all of this (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1806824,00.html) essay applies to the current discussion, but if you're interested you might take the time to read the fourth and fifth paragraphs. The author says about the treatment of soldiers returning from war, "Often the war shadows the warrior." I think it's important to separate the two, and some people do that and some people don't. But I think that even pacifists (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/67847/can_a_pacifist_support_our_troops.html?cat=9) who believe war is never necessary can say thank you to a troop for his/her sacrifice on the behalf of others, even if they think the troop's efforts were misguided and that he/she should have joined the Peace Corps instead of the military.

Just my beliefs, and you're entitled to your own. All you have to do is google "Support Our Troops" and you'll find this debate is all over the place and not likely to be resolved. So to those who say thank you I say "You're welcome," and to those who don't, that's fine too, freedom of speech and all. Just be courteous - please don't spit on us or protest at our funerals.

Serpentine
2008-06-11, 01:11 PM
Well said, Bonecrusher. I agree with the sentiments if not all the minor details. On that last bit: Ugh :smallyuk:

Gygaxphobia
2008-06-11, 06:51 PM
Good thread.

Much love to all the troops out there supporting democracy, thank you guys and gals.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-11, 06:59 PM
I thank the soldiers, for doing something necessary that I never have been and never will be cut out to do.

My grandfather was in naval intelligence in WWII. I could deal with that. Dealing with a significant chance of being killed by hidden bombs every day? I'm not up to that.

Moff Chumley
2008-06-11, 08:23 PM
I believe that a Dream Theater quote is in order. I love this quote: it describes the religious and political opinions on both sides.

Words they preach
I can't relate
If God's true Love
Are acts of Hate

Who would wish this
On our people
And proclaim
That His will be done
Scriptures they heed have misled them
All praise their Sacrificed sons
All praise their Sacrificed sons

Note: The opinions of the author of this musician do not reflect the opinions of this poster.