PDA

View Full Version : I might just have screwed myself over

Project_Mayhem
2008-06-10, 06:36 PM
OK, I just bought some PDFs of Paizo with my credit card. Now, the documents were priced in US dollars, whereas my bank account is filled only with English pounds. Are they going to charge me more, or am I OK?
I only realised after I'd bought them. Help.

SMEE
2008-06-10, 06:59 PM
They will convert the US dollar values to your local currency based on the convertion rate between dollar and punds on the day the bill is processed.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-10, 06:59 PM
Your bank will probably charge you a commission for the 'service', but I wouldn't worry too much as it shouldn't be very much. Depends how much you spent, obviously.

Project_Mayhem
2008-06-10, 07:24 PM
Oh good. It was only $12, which I'm hoping is still £6. Thanks for reasuring me.

Rawhide
2008-06-10, 07:37 PM
What type of credit card?

It its MasterCard the following will happen:

The currency will be converted to pounds at the base 'mid market' rate.
MasterCard will charge a 1.0% commission.
The bank will charge its own commission, usually 1.5%, unless you have an international friendly credit card. There is really no reason for the bank to charge this extra commission, as by the time they see the charge, the currency has already been converted.

Effectively you will probably have paid an extra 2.5% in commission, however, even this is cheaper than most other currency conversions. This makes (some) credit cards one of the best ways to pay for items when travelling internationally, particularly if you can get a card that only charges the MasterCard 1.0%.

Project_Mayhem
2008-06-10, 08:46 PM
Yeah its Mastercard, thanks.

So they charged me 15p odd. Fair does.