PDA

View Full Version : melee cheese?

nhbdy
2008-06-10, 08:39 PM
I was talking to my friend, and i came up with this build, and i wanted a general opinion, is this feasable, cheese, or not possible, and any comments are welcome

you start with a half-giant, as they get the ability to weild weapons one size atagory larger than themselves, then you put monkey grip on top of it, which would give you the ability to weild a huge greatsword, now assuming bigger weaps=more reach, you have a 15-foot weapon that does 4d6 damage (according to d20srd), now add any feats you like (i like whirlwind attack)

comments?

Lord Omberous
2008-06-10, 08:44 PM
I was talking to my friend, and i came up with this build, and i wanted a general opinion, is this feasable, cheese, or not possible, and any comments are welcome

you start with a half-giant, as they get the ability to weild weapons one size atagory larger than themselves, then you put monkey grip on top of it, which would give you the ability to weild a huge greatsword, now assuming bigger weaps=more reach, you have a 15-foot weapon that does 4d6 damage (according to d20srd), now add any feats you like (i like whirlwind attack)

comments?Bigger weapons do not give you better reach, sorry. You still do more damage, but at an LA cost.

Solo
2008-06-10, 08:44 PM

comments?

In a word? No.

McMindflayer
2008-06-10, 08:49 PM
In Nicer terms than Solo: Empowered build or whatever it is the Half giant gets, doesn't stack with Monkey Grip. Thus no extra damage, and no extra reach.

Solo
2008-06-10, 08:59 PM
Here be melee cheese (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=227556)

Nebo_
2008-06-10, 09:39 PM

comments?

This build is made of fail. Not only does Monkey Grip suck so hard it hurts, it doesn't stack with Powerful Build and larger weapons do not give you extra reach; only actually being larger can do that.

Chronos
2008-06-10, 09:45 PM
In Nicer terms than Solo: Empowered build or whatever it is the Half giant gets, doesn't stack with Monkey Grip. Thus no extra damage, and no extra reach.To elaborate: Powerful Build lets you wield weapons sized for a creature one step larger than you. A half-giant is medium, so with Powerful Build, he can use weapons made for a large creature. Monkey Grip lets you wield weapons sized for a creature one step larger than you. A half-giant is medium, so with Monkey Grip, he can use weapons made for a large creature.

So a half-giant with Powerful Build and Monkey Grip can use large-scale weapons, and he can also use large-scale weapons.

What you're probably looking for is a half-giant psychic warrior (which conveniently happens to be their favored class), who uses the Expansion power. Expansion increases your size, which increases your damage and your reach, and it explicitly stacks with Powerful Build. For the icing on the cake, it also increases your strength. Get to about 7th level, and it can actually increase your size by two steps. So a half-giant psychic warrior can wield a gargantuan weapon, with the reach of a huge creature.

Person_Man
2008-06-11, 08:41 AM
I think this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22) is the crazyness you're looking for.

Benejeseret
2008-06-11, 05:38 PM
Alternatively use the Titan Bloodline variant (SRD). No matter what size you are, you get to use a gargantuan warhammer in 2 hands at no penalty. Does not help reach but does grant a ridiculously big weapon.