PDA

View Full Version : [4e] New Monsters and Conversions

RTGoodman
2008-06-10, 10:22 PM
In my 4E conversion of Red Hand of Doom, I've come across at least two monsters that haven't been released yet for 4E. As such, I'm going ahead and homebrewing conversions for them, and I thought I'd post 'em up here for some critique and in case anyone else needs to use them. I've only got one done (the Aranea), but I figured I'd just start a general thread for stuff I'm doing and other people, if they'd like, could probably post here too. The Forest Giant is coming soon, and then I'll probably have others. But for now, here's this.

Aranea
Level 8 Elite Controller; XP 700
Medium natural magical beast (shapechanger, spider)
Initiative +7; Senses Perception +6; darkvision
HP 174; Bloodied 87
AC 25; Fortitude 23, Reflex 25, Will 26
Resist 10 poison
Saving Throws +2
Speed 8, Climb 8 (spider climb)
Action Points 1

[M] Bite (standard; at-will) • Poison
+13 vs. AC; 1d8+5 and ongoing 5 poison damage and target is slowed (save ends both).
[r] Poison Spray (standard; at-will) • Poison
Ranged 6; +15 vs. Reflex. The target takes 10 ongoing poison damage (save ends).
[a] Web (minor; recharge 5, 6)
Area 3 in 10 squares; +13 vs. Reflex; targets are restrained (save ends). The web remains until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes. Creatures that end their turn in the area are immobilized (save ends).
Natural Spellcasting (standard; encounter) • Arcane
An aranea has some control over natural arcane magic. Once per encounter, it can use minor image, prestidigitation, or sleep.

Minor Image • Illusion
The aranea summons an illusory figure to confuse or distract enemies. The figure can look how the aranea wishes, but cannot be larger than a Medium creature. Creatures are allowed a DC 19 Perception check to notice the being is illusory. The being lasts until the end of the aranea’s next turn. Sustain minor.
Prestidigitation
As the Wizard cantrip (see PHB pg. 159).
Sleep • Sleep
Area burst 2 within 20 squares; +14 vs. Will. Hit: the target is slowed (save ends). If the target fails its first saving throw against the ability, the target becomes unconscious (save ends). Miss: the target is slowed (save ends).
Skitter (immediate reaction; when missed by an attack)
The aranea can shift a number of squares equal to its Dexterity modifier as a free action.
Shapechange (minor; at-will) • Polymorph
The aranea can change form at will. Its natural form is that of a monstrous spider. Its other forms include a unique humanoid form, and a hybrid human-spider form. In human form, its speed decreases to 6 squares, it loses its climb speed, and it loses its bite attack. In hybrid form, it has all of its normal stats, but looks mostly humanoid (DC 23 Perception check to notice the aranea is not a human). In hybrid form and human form, the aranea can wield weapons and wear armor.

Alignment Unaligned Languages Common, Elven
Skills Acrobatics +12, Arcana +12, Bluff +13, Stealth +14
Str 11 (+4) Dex 17 (+7) Wis 14 (+6)
Con 15 (+6) Int 12 (+5) Cha 19 (+8)

RTGoodman
2008-06-13, 01:16 AM
Forest Giant is done. Looking over the older version (at least, the one in RHoD), they don't really seem to have any special abilities, so I just sort of based this on the Hill Giant, but with different ability scores and skills and such. Any ideas for different powers?

Forest Giant
Level 14 Brute; XP 1400
Huge natural humanoid (giant)
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +11; low-light vision
HP 170; Bloodied 85
AC 26; Fortitude 25, Reflex 23, Will 21
Resist 15 poison
Speed 8

[M] Greatclub (standard; at-will) • Weapon
+21 vs. AC; 2d6+14 damage.
[m] Sweeping Club (standard; recharge 5, 6) • Weapon
The forest giant makes a greatclub attack against two Medium or smaller targets; on a hit, the target is pushed 2 squares and knocked prone.
[R] Hurl Rock (standard; at-will)
Ranged 20; +13 vs. Reflex; 2d8+14 damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).

Alignment Unaligned Languages Common, Giant
Skills Athletics +14, Diplomacy +13, Endurance +12
Str 24 (+14) Dex 8 (+6) Wis 9 (+6)
Con 20 (+12) Int 16 (+10) Cha 13 (+8)