PDA

View Full Version : Fox's Cunning vs. Evasive Strike

HeirToPendragon
2008-06-10, 10:25 PM
Ok so I'm building my side Archer Ranger. I've got this guy all planned out till at least level 20 but I just can't for the life of me pick a level 1 encounter power.

I'm stuck between Fox's Cunning and Evasive Strike. They are both full of situational awesome but every time I find one way to outweigh them, they go back to balance again.

Help me out, which one should I take?

Ardwin Burch
2008-06-10, 10:32 PM
I would go with Elusive Strike. Ranger's are meant to dish out damage, and then hightale it outta there. Looking at both the powers, Elusive strike already has a decent attack, and it's damage is much better.

HeirToPendragon
2008-06-10, 10:34 PM
Actually they're damage is close to even since Fox's give you the bonus attack during a turn that's not yours then on your turn you can use any power you want.

Ardwin Burch
2008-06-10, 10:45 PM
Thats a good point. Then seeing as you have a conundrum such as this, I offer you my second plan in situations like this. Roll percentile dice. Above 50 then Fox, if 50 or below then Evasive.

HeirToPendragon
2008-06-10, 10:59 PM
I flipped a coin, but then I started wondering whether the coin had my best interests at heart and decided to ignore what it told me to do.

Criz Reborn
2008-06-10, 11:52 PM
I flipped a coin, but then I started wondering whether the coin had my best interests at heart and decided to ignore what it told me to do.
1- This made everyone in the room with me lol

2- Go with Evasive strike. Yes, the damage is about the same, but I think Evasive strike offers a little more. Fox will only be used if you are actually hit and, because it is a reaction (as opposed to an interrupt) you still take the damage.
Evasive strike can be used on your turn after taking the damage, and also in a situation when you find yourself stuck in close quarters with multiple monsters that may not be attacking you but would still get AoO from you trying to get out of melee range.

Human Paragon 3
2008-06-11, 02:59 PM
Do the opposite of what the coin flip told you. In your heart you know which power you want, and the coin gave you the wrong answer, which is why you decided to ignore it!

Burley
2008-06-11, 04:17 PM
I have consulted The Bones. The Bones say that Fox's Cunning is your path in destiny. The Bones do not lie. Though The Bones can only choose between two choices, and The Bones are wrong 50% of the time...The Bones don't lie.

Also, the most important things in combat are actions. Having the ability to do damage on somebody else's turn is much more efficient than waiting until your turn and using your action to do a bit of extra damage. Also, Fox's Cunning has nothing to do with you getting hit, only being attacked. This is pretty much an auto-save. Though, as a DM, I would say that you'd have to choose to use the power before you learned if the attack against you landed or not.)