PDA

View Full Version : GODLIKE, who's heard of it?

Levyathyn
2008-06-11, 12:07 AM
GODLIKE is a superhero RPG set in World War II, which I have been a fan of for a while now. I've never met another player, and was wondering if anyone here has even heard of it.

For anyone who hasn't, or who wants it, here (http://arcdream.com/godlike/)'s a link to their webpage, where you can download a full set of rules for free. Free. =)

JMobius
2008-06-11, 12:15 AM
I'm always curious about settings with a novel premise. Provided this is closer to Heroes than it is to DC, could be potentially nifty. :)

Levyathyn
2008-06-11, 01:51 AM
If enough people are interested, we could get a game off the ground.

Skyserpent
2008-06-11, 02:08 AM
This actually looks pretty cool...

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-06-11, 02:22 AM
Looks very interesting, like Heroes meets WWII. Depending on how often you'd have to post to play, I could be interested.

toddex
2008-06-11, 02:42 AM
From what ive read its pretty much the whitewolf d10 system. Could be ok, im not a fan of white wolf though.

Levyathyn
2008-06-11, 02:43 AM
Awesome, guys. The rules are a little in-depth and different than D&D, but it works nice. I'd prefer someone with experience to DM, but I could mantle that task. Be sure to get the rules, but either way I'll go over them again tomorrow and be able to help along the way. Let me know.

Attilargh
2008-06-11, 03:35 AM
From what ive read its pretty much the whitewolf d10 system. Could be ok, im not a fan of white wolf though.
As a fan of White Wolf's Storyteller system, I can safely say it's not. It uses a pool of d10s, but so do Legend of the Five Rings and CthulhuTech. In Godlike rolling multiples of a number is important, whereas in Storyteller you're smimply hoping to get all dice over a target number.

Dumbledore lives
2008-06-11, 05:27 AM
Well it looks really interesting and I'd like to play if you set up a game. I need to read a little bit more about it but I think I could play.

nepphi
2008-06-11, 07:36 AM
Godlike is absolutely brilliant.

Nifty justifications for ludicrous powers? Yes please. I remember playing an Aussie Talent named Punk, not because he was a smart*rse, but because that's the sound his 2" mortar made every time it fired (and his Talent was that anything he dropped in there became a mortar round).

Uthug
2008-06-11, 07:54 AM
Yeah, it sounds really interesting. Maybe you could create a thread in recruitment?

ravenkith
2008-06-11, 08:20 AM
I loved the concept so much, I bought the book when it first came out.

I sadly wasn't able to interest my group in the concept - while I am not the only one with an interest in superheroes, apparently I'm the only one with a mad-on for WWII - and that meant I'd have to DM.

Yuck! I wanted to play, dammit! :P

Occasional Sage
2008-06-11, 09:34 AM
Godlike rocks. Seriously. The dice system takes some time to figure out, being TOTALLY UNLIKE anything else out there, but I think it's also harder to break than any other.

The lethality exceeds that of just about any game I've seen, though, including Cthulhu, Paranoia, Shadowrun, or the old-school L5R. Superheros die very, very quickly to regular bullets in this game.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-06-11, 04:02 PM
Will the Quick-Play rules be enough for a player to play along with?

Dan_Hemmens
2008-06-11, 05:55 PM
As a fan of White Wolf's Storyteller system, I can safely say it's not. It uses a pool of d10s, but so do Legend of the Five Rings and CthulhuTech. In Godlike rolling multiples of a number is important, whereas in Storyteller you're smimply hoping to get all dice over a target number.

It's more similar than it looks, in a way. There's a natural evolution from White Wolf's (old) dual axis of variable difficulty/variable successes and the ORE concepts of Height/Width.

In fact, it's more or less a restatement of the same idea. In oWoD they used "difficulty" (target number) for technical complexity, with extended actions requiring multiple "successes". ORE uses "Height" for how well you do and "width" for how fast you do it.

Folks might also be interested to know that the GODLIKE system (the One Roll Engine) powers a lot of other games, including the rather cool REIGN, which has some very good rules for managing kingdoms.

wormwood
2008-06-11, 06:16 PM
I liked the concept and the system was fun but there were some CRAZY balance issues. I only played one game and we used pre-generated characters. Afterward, I looked through the rules a little and it was obvious that one could become, indeed, godlike with little effort. Some of the powers that improved your ability with a weapon could make you nigh unstoppable in a gunfight.

As long as you have players that aren't willing to break the hell out of it, it should be fun.

Chronicled
2008-06-11, 06:36 PM
For anyone who hasn't, or who wants it, here (http://arcdream.com/godlike/)'s a link to their webpage, where you can download a full set of rules for free. Free. =)

Unless I missed it, you can't actually get a full set of rules. You can get a lot of the ruleset, but DANG does it take a while to download it all (it's scattered over a couple dozen .pdfs).

Attilargh
2008-06-12, 02:39 AM
There's a natural evolution from White Wolf's (old) dual axis of variable difficulty/variable successes and the ORE concepts of Height/Width.
Ohh, right. Yeah, that's what I get for always sticking to the new editions. Also, thanks for the tip, gots to check out Realm now.

Levyathyn
2008-06-12, 01:23 PM
Well, Jeez. Better reception than I expected.

nepphi: That's awesome.

Uthug: I'll see about that today.

ravenkith: I'll get a game started, and you can play.

Ocasional Sage: You're right; I want to blend GODLIKE and Cthulhu a little, for my campaign

CarpeGuitarrem: Quick Play rules (and what I meant by full rules) are indeed everything you need to play. Making a character under a certain point limit is a breeze once you grasp the core concepts.

Dan_Hemmens: That sounds neat. I love the GODLIKE system, and I've always been interested in kingdom-ruling games; I'll have to look into this REIGN.

wormwood: With the limits to points and enemy Talents, I usually don't have trouble in that area. )=D

Chronicled: Sorry, I meant to imply that the Quick-Play rules are all you need.

Alright, I have a campaign in mind, but I might have some trouble mixing the premise of Cthulhu with the gameplay of GODLIKE. I'd like to DM, but I may need help with deals such as mapping and whatnot. Keep in mind, as busy as I am these days, it'll be a week or more before It can start.

Occasional Sage
2008-06-12, 04:47 PM
Well, Jeez. Better reception than I expected.
*snip*
Alright, I have a campaign in mind, but I might have some trouble mixing the premise of Cthulhu with the gameplay of GODLIKE. I'd like to DM, but I may need help with deals such as mapping and whatnot. Keep in mind, as busy as I am these days, it'll be a week or more before It can start.

Godlike and Cthulhu? The potential carnage horrifies me.

That said, I'm *really* looking forward to hearing stories!

Levyathyn
2008-06-12, 06:20 PM
Also, while we're on the subjet of long lost games, anyone ever heard of Fringeworthy? It was a small little Tri-Tac deal, came out in 1992. It was the first official RPG system I ever owned, you know, personally. (The first I played was Palladium's Robotech).

For those unschooled, it had a Stargate-esque flair, and I particularly enjoyed it's skill system and the world generation rules. It had random rules for reatures, too. I hate to detract from the main topic, but I would rather that than make a new one for this.

wakazashi.juice
2008-07-01, 01:09 PM
I've heard of godlike. I actually play it also. Its a pretty sweet game

ravenkith
2008-07-01, 02:47 PM
Any word on that game...? :smalltongue:

Or did I miss it...?

Malfunctioned
2008-07-02, 10:41 AM
I was just checking on the website and they've put out a d20 version of the ruleset, from what I saw it looks pretty good :smallsmile:.