PDA

View Full Version : OS Upgrade advice.

TheSilverKnight
2008-06-11, 12:27 AM
Ok I have had a 64-bit processor for a while but not a 64-bit OS. I now have a copy of Vista 64-bit ultimate. I am hesitant to install however because I am not sure if everything I am currently running will work.

Speaking strictly of software I am most worried about my older games working. Most other programs I can get newer versions of so I am not to entierly concerned.

Here is a list of all my installed programs Give any feedback if you have experience or know of any of them not running on 64-bit vista.

uTorrent(greek u pronounced mu)
AIM 6.0
Neverwinter Nights + all expansions
Neverwinter Nights 2 + Expansion
Diablo II + LOD
Diablo
Divx
DOS-box
Guitar Pro 5
Hamachi
Hellgate London
Hero Editor(Diablo II character editor[for single player I am LEgit on ladder])
Itunes(On have it because Syncing my 80Gb Ipod Video with any other program is a pain)
Knights of the old republic
Empire at war
All 4 Monkey island games(the first 2 of which require DOS-Box)
360 Wireless Controller Receiver
Firefox
Nero 7 ultimate
Phun (Uses visual basic and a DOS window to run)
Power ISO
Sony Picture Manager(Comes with DSW-80 Cybershot)
Wacom Graphire 4 Tablet(Pretty sure the box says vista on it)
Red Blade 3.5e(The only character generator I like)
Starcraft + Brood War
Steam(only installed because Portals makes it install)
Portals
Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne
Ventrillo
Teamspeak
World of Warcraft + BC
Xfire
Winamp
Zune
Win Rar
Utawarerumono
VLC Mediaplayer
Power Tabs
AdobeCS3 + Flash

Pretty sure thats everything.

Hardware ATM is.
Ansus P5NSLI Series Motherboard
40Gb HDD(System Drive C:/) IDE
80Gb HDD(Storage/Data D:/) IDE
Lite-On DVD+/-RW Drive IDE
Lite-On DVD Drive IDE
Floppy Drive
Intel core 2 Duo 2.24Ghrtz Processor
2x 2Gb DDR2 Pc2 RAM
1x 1Gb DDR2 PC2 RAM(With fancy purple Ram Cooler)
ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI Express 512Mb Video card
Standard Peripherals
Sound Card is built on and Full HD audio.

Fast responses please :D

FYI if you didn't know to go up to the 64 bit vista I will have to clean install since 32-bit xp won't run the 64-bit upgrade.

If I do, do it I may purchase an external drive of at least 160gb to back up all important files and use as new storage drive and use the 80 as my new system drive.

†Seer†
2008-06-11, 01:32 AM
Most work, I've got the same OS.

NWN2+MoTB may bug out at times. Save often :P

TheSilverKnight
2008-06-11, 01:45 AM
^^^Thanks for the reply. Just for reference do you have any of the same programs(mostly games) as I do installed and can confirm that they work?

Player_Zero
2008-06-11, 02:25 AM
...Sure about the monkey island games? I would've thought they'd need to have some fiddling around to make work...

TheSilverKnight
2008-06-11, 02:26 AM
...Sure about the monkey island games? I would've thought they'd need to have some fiddling around to make work...

If dos-box works I can make em work.

Rawhide
2008-06-11, 02:34 AM
My advice. Don't upgrade.

Instead, dual boot both Windows XP 32bit and Vista Ultimate 64bit (assuming your license allows you to to that). Then you can get the best of both worlds.

You can install them both onto the same hard drive on different partitions, or get a second hard drive.

Lorn
2008-06-11, 04:24 AM
You shouldn't have a problem.

However. Do you mod any, and I mean ANY, of these games? If so, you may have a problem - Vista will not let you write to C:\Program Files without some fiddling. PM me if you want a hand with it if you need to do it.

Fostire
2008-06-11, 07:47 AM
Most work, I've got the same OS.

NWN2+MoTB may bug out at times. Save often :P

That has nothing to do with the OS NWN2 is the buggiest game i ever played, and i use XP.

MandibleBones
2008-06-11, 09:44 AM
That has nothing to do with the OS NWN2 is the buggiest game i ever played, and i use XP.

Seconded, though in my experience it is, perhaps, MORE buggy on Vista than it was on XP - if such a thing is possible.

That said, I haven't had all that much trouble with Vista and game compatibility.

B-Man
2008-06-11, 09:59 AM
Winamp appears to be buggy in Vista. [link (http://www.winamp.com/player/faq#35)]

I'm currently running Vista on my desktop computer, but I'm keeping my eye out for one last copy of XP. Vista has proven to be difficult to get accustomed to. In my opinion, it's not worth upgrading (I'm still searching for drivers for a few of my older hardware).

Jack Squat
2008-06-11, 12:02 PM
Winamp appears to be buggy in Vista. [link (http://www.winamp.com/player/faq#35)]

I've yet to have a problem with Winamp...well ok, when I close my laptop screen, it pauses for a second, but I figure that's got less to do with Winamp and more to do with me needing more RAM.

†Seer†
2008-06-11, 12:07 PM
AIM 6.0
Diablo II + LOD
Diablo
DOS-box
Hellgate London
Itunes
Starcraft + Brood War
Steam(only installed because Portal makes it install)
Portal
Ventrillo
Teamspeak
World of Warcraft + BC
Xfire
Zune
Win Rar
VLC Mediaplayer

The quoted progs are ones I have/had and can confirm they work :smallsmile:

sikyon
2008-06-11, 12:12 PM
Why don't you try for 64 bit XP? I hear vista is pretty unreliable and this way you know you won't have compatibility issues. Unless you're planning on running DirectX10.

Why do need to install 64 bit? Need mor than 4 gigs of ram?

Greenpepa
2008-06-11, 01:47 PM
I've been running Vista 64 for a while now and can say that most of that will work.

uTorrent(greek u pronounced mu)
AIM 6.0
Diablo II + LOD
Diablo
Divx
Hamachi
Hellgate London
Itunes(On have it because Syncing my 80Gb Ipod Video with any other program is a pain)
Knights of the old republic
Empire at war
360 Wireless Controller Receiver
Firefox
Power ISO
Starcraft + Brood War
Steam(only installed because Portals makes it install)
Portals
Ventrillo
Teamspeak
World of Warcraft + BC
Xfire
Winamp
Zune
Win Rar
AdobeCS3 + Flash

Those are the programs I have tried and/or can confirm work.

Forthork
2008-06-11, 04:09 PM
2x 2Gb DDR2 Pc2 RAM

You have 5 gigs of RAM and are running 32-bit? Only about 3.5 gigs of RAM can be used in 32-bit Windows.

Most of the modern games/applications will work, and I am sure there are work-arounds.

And by the way, the game is Portal, no "s".

Rawhide
2008-06-11, 04:15 PM
2x 2Gb DDR2 Pc2 RAM

Wait, I just noticed this. You do realise that that extra single stick of 1 gig kills dual channel memory, slowing memory access? I don't know enough about your motherboard to know how much of an impact it will have, but on some it would be slower than taking it out.

TheSilverKnight
2008-06-11, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will probably do it if not I can just reinstall Xp I am no stranger to re-formats. And if I NEED xp for anything I will make a partition on my 2nd drive.