PDA

View Full Version : Feat for Ready Actions

Logalmier
2008-06-11, 01:13 PM
Is there any feat that you could take that makes readying a move action instead of a standard action? I've looked in PH, MM, CM, CA, and a bunch of other stuff, but I can't find any thing, dose any one know if there is such a feat? If so please let me know.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-11, 01:30 PM
I can say with no little confidence that there is no such thing. I will also say emphatically that there never must be, since what you describe would let players turn move actions into standard actions.

Unless, of course, you mean letting PCs ready a move action by spending a move action, which doesn't seem like an unreasonable houserule to me.

marjan
2008-06-11, 01:35 PM
Is there any feat that you could take that makes readying a move action instead of a standard action? I've looked in PH, MM, CM, CA, and a bunch of other stuff, but I can't find any thing, dose any one know if there is such a feat? If so please let me know.

No need for feat.

The Combat Round
In a normal round, you can perform a standard action and a move action, or you can perform a full-round action. You can also perform one or more free actions. You can always take a move action in place of a standard action.

Person_Man
2008-06-11, 04:35 PM
marjan is correct. You can always use a Move action in place of a Standard Action.

You can also use Hustle (psionics) to swap a Swift Action for a Move Action. Or the various versions of Celerity (PHBII) to swap an Immediate action for a Move, Standard, or Full Round action (followed by a round of being Dazed).

JGPyre
2008-06-11, 04:52 PM
@Person and marjan

You guys are right but the house rule that Tsotha is talking about would be readying a move action with a move action, not replacing a standard action with a move action. The difference is that this would allow you to, say...

Attack, ready move action to back off if condition X is met, reducing your initiative to the point of condition X for the remainder of the encounter.

holywhippet
2008-06-11, 05:39 PM
From the SRD:

Readying an Action

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

So basically yes, you can ready a move action and take it when the conditions are met. I suppose a good question would be how it would work with attacks of opportunity. If you ready a move action to fall back as soon as an enemy is next to you, do they get an attack of opportunity?

marjan
2008-06-11, 05:59 PM
So basically yes, you can ready a move action and take it when the conditions are met. I suppose a good question would be how it would work with attacks of opportunity. If you ready a move action to fall back as soon as an enemy is next to you, do they get an attack of opportunity?

Problem the OP is having with it is following:

Ready

The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun. Readying is a standard action. It does not provoke an attack of opportunity (though the action that you ready might do so).

In case you run away with your readied action and such movement provokes AoO the attacker should get AoO unless he doesn't meet the requirements (flatfooted, out of AoOs, etc.).

Logalmier
2008-06-11, 06:39 PM
From the SRD:

No, I mean a feat that lets you ready actions AS a move action, not that will just let you ready a move action, it's clear to me now that no such feat exists, but thanks for responding anyways.