PDA

View Full Version : Sword of Maiming

chevalier
2008-06-11, 03:01 PM
I'm confused about what the special ability: maiming does on a sword or other weapon in 3.5 ed. The description and chart in the Magic Item Compendium seems to indicate that it adds additional damage to a confirmed critical hit, added after the multiplied damage. I've read other references that seem to imply that it *changes* the multiplied damage from a fixed multiplier to a random amount, say from 2x to 1d4x. Which of these is "correct", and what's the reference?

Thanks!

C.

kamikasei
2008-06-11, 03:28 PM
The description in the MIC seems quite unambiguous to me: if you score a critical, you get some extra bonus damage. What other references are you thinking of and what do they say?

marjan
2008-06-11, 03:39 PM
It is also in Miniatures Handbook.
If you score a critical you have variable multiplier depending depending on weapons base multiplier: 2 - 1d4, 3 - 1d6, 4 - 1d8...

kamikasei
2008-06-11, 03:46 PM
Ah, well then the version in the MIC is presumably intended to be an update of that in the Miniatures Handbook. It's up to you which you want to use, really (if you have both books in play).

chevalier
2008-06-11, 03:46 PM
Ah! That's why it's different, it's the miniatures handbook!

I think I saw it on:

http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/items.php?ID=3843

and forgot to check the source. So there are two different "of maiming", one for "regular" 3.5, one for the miniatures game.

Chris