PDA

View Full Version : A few psionic questions

throtecutter
2008-06-11, 08:13 PM
Well, I'm making my first psionic charecters, and have a few questions.

1. On d20srd.org, the SRD, some of the powers don't have a listed power point cost. Is there a better internet site to get psionic powers?

2. If a power can be augmented in 2 different ways, when you increase the power point cost, does it raise both, or just one of the augment.

3. Can you wear a monks belt and have inertial armor cast at the same time?

I think that's it, thank you for the help. Psionics looks awsome.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-11, 08:15 PM

1. On d20srd.org, the SRD, some of the powers don't have a listed power point cost. Is there a better internet site to get psionic powers?

2. If a power can be augmented in 2 different ways, when you increase the power point cost, does it raise both, or just one of the augment.

no idea for the fist one, SRD is really the best out as far as i know(legaly). As for two, no it dosnt augment both, you have to spend points to augment each at a time, so spending 2 pp for one augment only uses that one, if you want the other you need to spend the cost again. And i dont have the book but it should stack unless the defense is of the same type

NEO|Phyte
2008-06-11, 08:16 PM

1. Err, which powers?

2. only one augment

3. yes.

tyckspoon
2008-06-11, 08:22 PM
1. I've never noticed any missing that. Which ones do you have a problem with?

2. It depends on the exact wording. Typically all the options are independent, which means you must pay each cost individually if you want to augment the power in that way (eg, Expansion would cost an extra 14 points if you wanted to increase 2 size categories [option 1, 6 power points], manifest it as a swift action [option 2, another 6] and have it last 10 minutes/level [option 3, 2 pp.])

3. Yes. A Monk's Belt provides no form of Armor bonus (not the same thing as just getting an AC bonus) and does not interfere with the Armor bonus from Inertial Armor. Neither does Inertial Armor count as wearing armor (it just provides an Armor bonus to AC, which is not the same thing- works the same way Mage Armor does), so that does not prevent the Wisdom to AC feature of the Monk's Belt from working.

Chronicled
2008-06-11, 08:28 PM
2. only one augment

Unless it says "In addition, whenever you spend X points on this power, then ______", where it and the augment you used are both applied.

And yes, Psionics is awesome.

marjan
2008-06-11, 08:32 PM

1. If a power doesn't list PP cost (they should all do that, but there might be some typos), good lead is that the initial PP cost is ML required to manifest the power.

2. already answered.

3. They stack

relevant parts are:

Inertial Armor
Psychokinesis
Level: Psion/wilder 1, psychic warrior 1
Display: Visual; see text
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Power Points: 1; see text

Your mind generates a tangible field of force that provides a +4 armor bonus to Armor Class. Unlike mundane armor, inertial armor entails no armor check penalty or speed reduction. Because inertial armor is composed of psychokinetic force, incorporeal creatures can’t bypass it the way they do normal armor.

Your inertial armor can be invisible or can appear as a colored glow, at your option.

The armor bonus provided by inertial armor does not stack with the armor bonus provided by regular armor.
Augment

For every 2 additional power points you spend, the armor bonus to Armor Class increases by 1.

Belt, Monk’s

This simple rope belt, when wrapped around a character’s waist, confers great ability in unarmed combat. The wearer’s AC and unarmed damage is treated as a monk of five levels higher. If donned by a character with the Stunning Fist feat, the belt lets her make one additional stunning attack per day. If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk. This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, righteous might or transformation; Price 13,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

AC Bonus (Ex)

When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Note that monk bonus is untyped and such bonuses stack unless they come from the same source.

EDIT: ninja'd. Good thing there aren't any in 4e so far.:smallbiggrin:

throtecutter
2008-06-11, 08:33 PM
Some of the ones that have no power points listed are
Body Adjustment
Biofeedback
Body Purification
and some other's I remember seeing but can't find right now.
Hmmm, it seems like the ones that are on both the Psion's and the Psychic Warrior's list.

NEO|Phyte
2008-06-11, 08:35 PM
Uhh, those DO have the cost listed. In the order you listed them...

Power Points: Psion/wilder 5, psychic warrior 3

Power Points: Psion/wilder 3, psychic warrior 1

marjan
2008-06-11, 08:36 PM
Hmmm, it seems like the ones that are on both the Psion's and the Psychic Warrior's list.

Probably because Psion and PW need different minimum ML to be able to manifest them.

tyckspoon
2008-06-11, 08:37 PM
You're not looking hard enough, it seems. They're listed in the format (Psion/Wilder cost), (Psychic Warrior cost). Biofeedback (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/biofeedback.htm) has a base cost of 3 pp as a Psion power, 1 as a PsyWar power. Body Adjustment is..

Level: Psion/wilder 3, psychic warrior 2
Display: Auditory and material
Manifesting Time: 1 round
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

AlterForm
2008-06-11, 08:40 PM
The power point costs actually are there. Take Body Adjustment for example. You see how it says "Psion/Wilder 5, Psychic Warrior 3" under the Power Points section? That means it takes 5 PP when manifested by a Psion or Wilder, and 3 points when manifested by a Psychic Warrior. This is because the power is a level 3 and level 2 power for the two power lists, respectively.

throtecutter
Oh, I didn't realize they had different amounts for each class.
Totally didn't notice.
Thanks

TheEmerged
#1> The base PP cost is set by the power's level. So really, listing the level and PP cost of a power at all is redundant.

Level 1 = 1 pp.
Level 2 = 3 pp.
Level >2 = +2pp per level.

#2> Depends on the augment. By default, they're additive. Take the psionic version of the charm power. For +2 PP you can make it affect an animal. For +4 PP, you can make the duration by day instead of by hour. If you want to charm an animal for hours, you're going to be spending 7 PP. However, it's important to note that Charm's text says that for every +2 PP you spend on augments it also adds +1 to the resist DC (and some DM's house rule in that you can specifically spend +PP for no purpose other than doing so).

#3> I don't have all my books handy, but it would depend on the type of bonus the monk's belt gives. Inertial Armor is a standard Armor bonus.

Deth Muncher
2008-06-11, 09:26 PM
The answer to all Psionics questions is this: An Illithid eats you.

No, really. That's why I refuse to play anything Psionic. Because then Illithids start appearing.

I'm going to withdraw now, before the Illithids smell this topic and start their brain-feasting.

throtecutter
2008-06-13, 07:54 AM
One more question.
If I were to take the psychometabolism disipline, what powers are restricted? Is it all powers except for psychometabolism powers, or just the spells that are set aside for the other disiplines?
Thanks for the help.

lord_khaine
2008-06-13, 08:04 AM

No, really. That's why I refuse to play anything Psionic. Because then Illithids start appearing.

I'm going to withdraw now, before the Illithids smell this topic and start their brain-feasting

ahh, but the solution to that is to play a illithid slayer, there is nothing like buffing up while under temporal acceleration, and then going to town with powerattack and a greatsword :smallbiggrin:

edit.
there isnt any powers as such thats restrictet, its more than you only have access to the general power list+the powers from your specalty list.

you still have the option of taking powers from the other lists though the feat expandet knowledge.

llamamushroom
2008-06-13, 08:07 AM
I think what happens is this - you can learn any power with your normal learn-space (proper term?), but every so often you get to learn an extra power from your discipline's list. SRD and the Psionic Handbook differ slightly - SRD has completely separate lists, whereas the handbook has all of the powers under the one list, with their disciplines listed too.

EDIT: Curse you, Lord Khaine, and your comparatively fast typing!

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-13, 08:38 AM

I'm going to withdraw now, before the Illithids smell this topic and start their brain-feasting.

I can understand your reasoning. As a DM, few things make me giggle with glee as much as the psionic illithids. They kick asses. I destroyed an entire party with EL = party level encounters with psionic illithids straight out of the book.