PDA

View Full Version : The Will of the Coalition: a d20 Future Setting in Progress. Regular Updates

weishan
2008-06-11, 08:39 PM
I am presenting a homebrewed future campaign setting here for the purpose of review, C&C, and hopefully additions from other people. More updates are forthcoming.

I'll also be adding my own creatures, equipment, advanced classes, etc. Also, not that I have many problems with d20 future as a system--futuristic weapons are nowhere near powerful enough, mecha and starships are handled pitifully badly, etc, etc, blah blah. This setting uses the following books: d20 modern, d20 future, 3.5 players handbook, 3.5 expanded psionics handbook, d20 mecha (IMO, the best damn vehicle creation system there is; even if it feels a bit GURPSy at times). I use a modified version (wait for the armor section) of armor as DR and vitality points/wound points, and this setting assumes these rules are used.

In any case, here it goes. Again, any input is appreciated. If you help me, I’ll do my best to reply and comment to your homebrew threads:

The basic premise and general feel of the setting:

My goal in this project is to create a gritty space opera setting—what happens when you cross some of the better parts of Star Wars and WH40k. I want to create setting with a space opera’s star-spanning-epic, lots-of-alien-seeing-and-being feel with the moral ambiguity of settings like WH40k, but to a slightly lesser degree—everyone is unpleasant, but there are still people who could be described (loosely) as “the good guys.” I will also incorporate some psionics (modified, see advanced classes later) and paranormal stuff based on 40k’s. There is also a focus on the vulnerability of a PC. Without a lot of sophisticated (but readily available) defensive technology, even the toughest character will (and should) be torn to bloody shreds by sophisticated weapons technology. I also want a flexible setting that can handle gritty military campaigns, space and mech battles, bands of scoundrels running around in a cargo ship, exceptionally powerful and legendary heroes doing legendary stuff (etc…)

The Setting:

Any campaign in this setting will take place in or near the territory of the Coalition, an alliance of necessity consisting of many like-minded species, including humans. The Coalition is an old, expansive, and relatively stable organization at this time. It is, however, plagued by extensive external and internal strife. Its borders are under siege from all sides from alien enemies, and piracy, corruption, and civil unrest run rampant within. For all this, the Coalition manages to survive, and even prosper in more central star systems.

The Coalition:

Government:

The Coalition is governed by a very small ruling body called The Council of 100. Surprisingly, the council does not actually consist of 100 members; more have been added to the agreed-upon number as other species join the coalition. Nevertheless, the name has stuck. Currently, there are 120 sitting Councilors--ten from each of the twelve member species of the Coalition. These ten councilors are selected differently according to the preferences of the species they represent. The Council of 100 does very little law making (most of this is left to the system governments); most of the focus of the council is directed towards matters of security and economy. The Council coordinates and provides for all of the Coalition's armed forces. It is also responsible for setting taxes and regulating inter-system comerce. Regardless of how they get their office, councilors can serve a maximum of 20 years before being replaced. Member species are free to replace or recall council members according to their own laws and preferences.

Subordinate to the Council of 100, the system governments are considerably more involved in the day-to-day life of the Coalition (though some member species also have governing bodies that rule some part or all of their systems. Their authority falls somewhere between system governments and the Counil of 100). System governments have a number of responsibilities: They must collect taxes levied by the Council, they must provide soldiers and supplies to the Army and Navy of the Coalition, they must ensure the safety and stability of their system, they must enforce the Council's laws, and they must raise a militia and voulenteer navy to defend their own star system.

History:

Member Species:

The Universe and Cosmology (FTL, paranormalia, etc.)

GrandDukeJerot
2008-06-11, 08:48 PM
Hey, cool concept for a campaign setting here! Can't wait to see what you come up with for it.

Right now, I'm making my scratchbuilt add-on to D20 for a futuristic setting. I'd love to get some creative input from you one if I can, because you seem to be thinking along similar lines to when I was starting it up.

Here's the link: Scratchbuilt Futuristic D20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82816)

weishan
2008-06-12, 05:52 AM
The link is broken.

GrandDukeJerot
2008-06-12, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I screwed it up. Fixed now.

weishan
2008-06-12, 08:07 PM
It works now.

Also, update on government added. From the looks of it, I'm going to be adding about a page a day to this thread, wich isn't half bad, IMO.