PDA

View Full Version : Avatar classes using 4E?

Pink_Paladin
2008-06-11, 08:40 PM
Anybody is working on that? The system of At-will, Encounter and Daily powers fit perfectly to my opinion. Anyway, Ill work on it (in English just to publish it) and ill need feedback.

Anyway, basicly Im founding myself on the Wizard for Water, Earth and Air and Warlock for Fire.

GrandDukeJerot
2008-06-11, 08:50 PM
There's already a D20 Avatar for 3.5, and they're going to move on to 4th ed soon, I think. Are you part of that crowd?

SAMAS
2008-06-11, 09:04 PM
By "Avatar classes," I'm assuming you mostly mean benders, right?

Monk is a good place to start, oddly enough, rather than a magic-based class.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-11, 09:10 PM
there is no monk in 4th ed

dman11235
2008-06-11, 09:32 PM
I am a part of that crowd, and yes, I believe we will take on the task of 4E. Just not yet. It's much too early, and not everyone has books yet. Most don't have books yet.

Point is, there has been discussion of such, the thread is just below this. The current consensus is to wait. But I am fairly certain it will be done eventually.

Daracaex
2008-06-11, 09:32 PM

yet...

Actually, if I have some time, Do you mind if I give it a shot?

Innis Cabal
2008-06-11, 09:35 PM
yet...

Actually, if I have some time, Do you mind if I give it a shot?

i....dont know why you couldnt?

Daracaex
2008-06-11, 09:39 PM
i....dont know why you couldnt?

Well, it's their project and I'm not a part of it. It's usually polite to ask permission before using someone else's ideas.

dman11235
2008-06-11, 09:43 PM
Aren't you a part of the Avatar d20 project Daracaex? I could have sworn I've seen your name there.

Anyways, if you want to help, sure. But you might want to join that project. They even have a website for it. I mean, it's not exactly mine, I'm a late comer, and more of an editor than a creator, but you can go through them.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-11, 10:50 PM
I dunno what all this talk is about "joining" the Avatar project. Most people just kinda say "Ooh, this looks neat, I guess I'll help out," and then they do something productive and everyone's happy. Seriously, everyone, if you want to do something for an avatar setting, you're more than welcome to help us out in the Avatar D20 project or make something on your own and post it on one of our threads.

The bending system we've got set up should be pretty easy to convert to 4e. The majority of the work would be changing the language and basic mechanics of the rest of the class, as well as a few tweaks to the seeds (measurement in squares instead of feet, for example). The benders would just be chock-full of at-will powers and not much else. There would need to be a warehouse of example forms to start off with, though...

Of course, Pink Paladin, you're more than welcome to do this on your own, but we'd be happy to have your assistance in the project and get a head start on the next phase of the system.

Pink_Paladin
2008-06-13, 07:50 AM
A balance problem is that none of the powers depend on "component". Lunching a rock with Earthbending need access to stone or hard ground. But making Earthbender useless in some situation makes other classes more attractive. Its same for Waterbender. They can have some water at hand, but Earthbender are weaker because of this.

What do you propose?

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-13, 11:29 AM
I propose accepting it as a handicap of the bending classes. See, I'm the kind of guy that ensures that everything passes the common sense test, then make sure that it's mechanically useful. In this case, Waterbenders and Earthbenders should be hampered by having a lack of their element. However, a smart waterbender would have a waterskin at all times as well as a supply of at-will powers that require a minimal amount of water (the more basic uses of Water Whip and Ice Shards fill this role in the 3.5 system).

As for earthbenders, I would be rather surprised if the lack of earth is consistent problem. Unless you're sailing on a wooden ship far out in the ocean or flying on some magical bison, there's generally some sort of dirt or rock nearby. If the adventure requires some sailing, then the earthbender would be smart to load some hefty rocks on the ship and practice fishing them out of the ocean before they sink. Or learn to metalbend. I think we should just accept this handicap as part of the class and move on. Waterbenders are doom incarnate in a small-scale naval battle, and earthbenders have some nasty tricks on a mountain. It makes sense that they should have their own kryptonite, too.

Pink_Paladin
2008-06-13, 08:03 PM
I don't think I'll use the "amount" rule. I assume that you can use the classic powers with any reasonable amount of water. Fore larger power like Octopus, I plan to make it usable only when natural water zone is available, assuming that is bigger than a little water spot.

Yeah I'm starting by the Firebender. Im now creating the powers. I already decided the Class features. I'm very excited to test them. Anyway, I'll do it step by step. I'm creating the powers and after I'll create the feats related to Firebenders.

In my campaign, the first Firebenders was the Dragonborn. Earthbender the Dwarf, Airbender the Eladrin and Waterbender the Halfling. Don't know why Halfling and Eladrin, but I like it. Anyway, that is for my campaign. You'll be able to change it to fit yours of course.

Pink_Paladin
2008-06-13, 08:04 PM
Oh and, I dont know how I should work for the deflect aspect of the bending. No spellcaster are able to deflect spells. But I figure that if you are missed by a bending attack, you are deflecting it or simply missed. Anyway, your thoughts?

Pink_Paladin
2008-06-14, 08:57 PM
Just reposting for keep this thread active. Need opinions plz.

reorith
2008-06-15, 11:46 PM

sweeeeeet. i wish i new this before

also
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellTurning.htm

Ceiling009
2008-06-16, 01:21 AM
Even though there isn't, it's a there isn't yet, about the monk class. Also Andy Collins presented a way to convert a monk to 4e. It's rather interesting actually.