PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to convert monsters from 3 to 4 E?

Nonanonymous
2008-06-11, 09:54 PM
As long as they don't have class levels, can a third edition monster entry be relatively easily converted to a fourth edition one? It seems to me that it would be, but I haven't bothered to learn the complete mechanics behind fourth edition yet.

RTGoodman
2008-06-11, 10:08 PM
Well, it's not SIMPLE, but it's not ridiculously difficult.

Step 1: Figure out what level the monster is gonna be. That's totally up to you. Then go to page... 184, I think, of the 4E DMG and figure out attack bonuses, defenses, HPs, and other stuff. You can basically just make up the ability scores, too, but they've got some guidelines.

Step 2: Figure out some abilities you want it to have, and make them into powers. Find a good balance between at-will, encounter, recharge, and other powers.

Step 3: Add in anything else you think it needs. Then compare it to the 3.x version and see how it matches up.

Really, the key is to not make it a copy of the abilities of the 3.x version, but figure out the role and stuff and make it up from there. For instance, I converted the Aranea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82913) last night. It's not the same as the old version (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/Aranea.htm), but it's got the same sort of role (a sneaky shapechanger with some control aspects and minor spellcasting), but I created the abilities either off the top of my head or based on prewritten monster powers from the PHB. In general, I'd say that creating creatures isn't hard at all, but trying to get them to work in 4E and come up with new cool stuff for them is harder.

JaxGaret
2008-06-11, 10:08 PM
It would be fairly simple to convert monsters, with or without class levels, from 3e to 4e.

For the most part, a straight conversion is straightforward. The most significant portion of the transfer will be deciding what powers to give the 4e monster in place of their racial features, SLAs, etc.

EDIT: Ninja'd by rtg, and what he said.

Nonanonymous
2008-06-11, 10:18 PM
Okay... This isn't exactly on topic, but... How would you figure out the racial statistics of a monster that Wizards didn't define? Sahuagin for instance, and also the Snaketongue Cultists, who appear to be the new Purebloods.

Lycan 01
2008-06-11, 10:18 PM
Quick question: Does the 4e PHB come with any monster info? Or at least a few basic ones, like Goblins and Kobolds?

JaxGaret
2008-06-11, 10:21 PM
Quick question: Does the 4e PHB come with any monster info? Or at least a few basic ones, like Goblins and Kobolds?

None, it's all in the MM.

Why would it be in the PHB?

Lycan 01
2008-06-11, 10:40 PM
*shrug* I dunno, maybe a few standard monsters for examples on what you fight against?

Great. Now I need more money to get the MM, too... :smallfrown:

RTGoodman
2008-06-11, 10:46 PM
Okay... This isn't exactly on topic, but... How would you figure out the racial statistics of a monster that Wizards didn't define? Sahuagin for instance, and also the Snaketongue Cultists, who appear to be the new Purebloods.

Well, it's not as simple as all that anymore. Basically, monsters have whatever stats the creator wanted them to have. They don't have PC stats unless someone actively gave them to them.

To make a PC race version, you'd just need to figure out what stat mods it'd need (+2 to two stats, preferably two that affect different saves), a couple skill or other bonuses, and an encounter or ability or so. That's basically what every race gets. The only differences are what the specific stats, skills, and powers ARE.

For instance, I'd give a Sahuagin something like +2 Str, +2 Dex, the Blood Frenzy ability from the MM's Sahuagin, and a swim speed. That seems kinda balanced. Maybe throw in trident proficiency.