PDA

View Full Version : i wonder that werewolf-cleric....

tugrulbuyukisik
2008-06-11, 10:30 PM
for a werewolf, a human can be seem like a food
lets assume that werewolf was a human-cleric before changing into a werewolf
can he/she/it(whatever) use purify-food magic of cleric on a human(food :d) to save that human from an illness or disease or POISON?
please answer

RTGoodman
2008-06-11, 10:38 PM
Purify Food and Drink

[...]but the spell has no effect on creatures of any type nor upon magic potions.

No. Mandatory extra text.

EDIT: Behold my ninja skills!

Mewtarthio
2008-06-11, 10:39 PM
From the SRD:

This spell makes spoiled, rotten, poisonous, or otherwise contaminated food and water pure and suitable for eating and drinking. This spell does not prevent subsequent natural decay or spoilage. Unholy water and similar food and drink of significance is spoiled by purify food and drink, but the spell has no effect on creatures of any type nor upon magic potions.

Emphasis mine

tugrulbuyukisik
2008-06-11, 10:51 PM
thank you very much

Enlong
2008-06-11, 10:53 PM
Here's another werewolf question. What happens to a Paladin that contracts lycanthropy? Do they lose their powers the first time they transform? (since the transformed state is Chaotic Evil)

Collin152
2008-06-11, 10:56 PM
Here's another werewolf question. What happens to a Paladin that contracts lycanthropy? Do they lose their powers the first time they transform? (since the transformed state is Chaotic Evil)

Well, Paladins over a certain low level have immunity to Lycanthropy, so the paladin in question isn't losing so many powers anyways.
But yes, turn into a werewolf, lose your powers.

RTGoodman
2008-06-11, 11:00 PM

Not all lycanthropes are Chaotic Evil, and indeed many aren't any sort of evil. Werebears, for instance, are listed as Always Lawful Good, I believe.

I think Stephen Colbert would be horrified that a Werebear could become a Paladin, but RAW it works fine. :smallbiggrin:

tugrulbuyukisik
2008-06-11, 11:06 PM
then my cleric lost powers too?(weird. a werewolf turning undead)

edit:
undead are not living, so can we use purify-food on them? :D just to stop that mummies disease
i mean just assuming we have a friesd-chicken(but poisoned) and we can use purify-food on it. ok
but if that chicken is made awaken by a necromancer(walking fried chicken now) it cant be purified by magic. ok . i got it.

marjan
2008-06-11, 11:10 PM
Well, Paladins over a certain low level have immunity to Lycanthropy, so the paladin in question isn't losing so many powers anyways.
But yes, turn into a werewolf, lose your powers.

Not necessarily.

Lycanthropy As An Affliction
Thereafter, the character is subject to involuntary transformation under the full moon and whenever damaged in combat. He or she feels an overwhelming rage building up and must succeed on a Control Shape check (see below) to resist changing into animal form. Any player character not yet aware of his or her lycanthropic condition temporarily becomes an NPC during an involuntary change, and acts according to the alignment of his or her animal form.

A character with awareness of his condition retains his identity and does not lose control of his actions if he changes. However, each time he changes to his animal form, he must make a Will save (DC 15 + number of times he has been in animal form) or permanently assume the alignment of his animal form in all shapes.

So he acts according to his alignment, but only if he is in animal form. This should probably require atonement, though.

Enlong
2008-06-11, 11:10 PM
Not all lycanthropes are Chaotic Evil, and indeed many aren't any sort of evil. Werebears, for instance, are listed as Always Lawful Good, I believe.

I think Stephen Colbert would be horrified that a Werebear could become a Paladin, but RAW it works fine. :smallbiggrin:No, I'm talking about a Paladin who becomes an Afflicted Werewolf. Do they lose their powers upon their first (involuntary) change at the Full Moon?

Edit:

Ah, wait. There's a clause here...

Once a character becomes aware of his affliction, he can now voluntarily attempt to change to animal or hybrid form, using the appropriate Control Shape check DC. An attempt is a standard action and can be made each round. Any voluntary change to animal or hybrid form immediately and permanently changes the character’s alignment to that of the appropriate lycanthrope.

So, I would rule that the Paladin, having no control over initial morphs, does not lose powers unless they voluntarily change and shift alignments as a result. Or perhaps lose powers upon realizing their affliction and then requiring a mild Atonement.

Collin152
2008-06-11, 11:13 PM
Not necessarily.

So he acts according to his alignment, but only if he is in animal form. This should probably require atonement, though.

Like I said, turn into a werewolf, lose your powers.

Mewtarthio
2008-06-11, 11:48 PM
Fortunately, it's fairly easy to cure someone who falls due to magical alignment shifts: You just need one or two free hours to cast atonement twice (once to undo any alignment shift, once to restore the powers). The spell costs no xp for unwilling acts. Note that you only need to cast the spell once for someone who's unaware of their condition (to simply restore their powers after their flirtation with evil), but twice if they've failed the Will save after becoming aware (since their alignment changes "permanently").

Chronos
2008-06-12, 12:57 AM
edit:
undead are not living, so can we use purify-food on them?The spell says it doesn't work on creatures. It does not specify living creatures, so it still wouldn't work on undead. Nor, for that matter, on constructs, which are also non-living creatures.

hamishspence
2008-06-12, 08:26 AM
A paladin might lose powers if they commit evil acts while in other form (remember what it says about unintentional evil acts and evil acts under compulsion) It would be a quick way to discover your affliction, or at least, that SOMETHING went on the previous night.

in Champions of ruin it covered the werewolf character who does lots of good things but commits evil on the nights they turn into a werewolf, saying "Most of the time he is good, but his curse wipes out all the good he does"

I think that would only apply once voluntary transformation has taken place.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-12, 08:32 AM
I tend to class the Lycanthrope alignments as being nonsense anyway (eg: wolves are mainly LN in real life), so I'd probably just ignore them altogether. If you're using them, I agree with hamishspence.

Collin152
2008-06-12, 06:11 PM
I tend to class the Lycanthrope alignments as being nonsense anyway (eg: wolves are mainly LN in real life), so I'd probably just ignore them altogether. If you're using them, I agree with hamishspence.

And here I thought I was alone in finding the chaoticness a little off.

Enlong
2008-06-12, 06:23 PM
I thought the chaoticness was a sort of thing inherent in stereotypical werewolves, not actual wolves. Something to do with the whole moon influence. I mean, that is where we got the word lunatic.

Also, is anyone else miffed that lycanthropy as a disease is apparently absent from 4th edition? One of a few things in the MM that strikes me as a poor choice.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-13, 01:21 AM
That is a good point about Lycanthropy. I thought I read somewhere that WotC based the alignments on how they saw the animals which the infected characters transformed into (I can't remember where it was, sadly). It is a shock that it isn't in 4th Edition so far (admittedly, I'd class it as a blessing rather then a disease.:smallsmile:).