PDA

View Full Version : Help with 4e Wizard-Fighter Multi-class.

Conners
2008-06-12, 12:58 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on being a wizard-fighter multi-class. Is it worth it? What race suits it best? Do I need to have Feats X and Y otherwise I'm weak?

JaxGaret
2008-06-12, 01:02 AM
An Eladrin Wizard/Fighter or Fighter/Wizard (depending on your preference - more Controller, or more Defender?) going into Wizard of the Spiral Tower would be a decent choice. Slap on the Fighter or Wizard multiclass feats and the Eladrin Soldier feat, and whatever other feats you want, and you're set.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-12, 01:53 AM
Yeah, a lot depends on what you're going for as a Wizard-Fighter.

If you just want to be a sword guy who can cast a few spells, go Fighter (or Paladin for Plate proficiency!) and use the Novice, Acolyte, and Adept Feats to get some fun controller or blaster spells (Close Blast and Aura are your friends).

If you just want to go for Spiral Tower, then Jax is correct. You need to be proficient with a longsword, so Eladrin is the cheapest option. To be honest though, you really should think about why you want the multiclass, since multiclassing doesn't give you the all of both classes.

If you just want to be a wizard with a sword, then you don't even need to multiclass - Eladrin do that just fine. The actual "fighter feat" just gives you an Encounter power that gives you +1 to a melee attack and Marks whoever you hit till your next turn. Since all of the Fighter powers you could get with the Novice/Acolyte/Adept feats are melee based, the synergies aren't quite there anymore.

Me? I'd go with Wizard-Ranger so that sweet, sweet Hunter's Quary attack and being able to use those multi-shot ranged powers with Magic Missile... though I'm not sure if they really count.

But hey, if you could let us know what kind of character you're looking to make, that'd be helpful too.

TheDarkOne
2008-06-12, 02:07 AM
Me? I'd go with Wizard-Ranger so that sweet, sweet Hunter's Quary attack and being able to use those multi-shot ranged powers with Magic Missile... though I'm not sure if they really count.

I was thinking about this too, but I don't think it works. MM says it counts as a basic ranged attack, I believe, and what you need to use the ranger powers with is a ranged weapon.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-12, 02:11 AM
I was thinking about this too, but I don't think it works. MM says it counts as a basic ranged attack, I believe, and what you need to use the ranger powers with is a ranged weapon.

I know :smallfrown:

But seriously, when do you use a Basic Ranged Attack? Does that mean that it also does Dex Damage or something? Is this something they're preserving for splatbooks (for some reason?).

I wish the at-will Warlord power didn't mandate melee based attacks. I can totally see a Warlord sitting back and saying "okay wizard, shoot now."

Charity
2008-06-12, 02:27 AM
I think a warlord/wizard would offer you greater Int synergy, and feel very similar.

Caution, hunters quarry can only be used for 1 round per encounter when you multiclass into ranger, it is not as good as folk think.
It's an errata from WotC Miko check out this thread for more (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=229723)
Official errata is here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/updates)

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-12, 02:43 AM
I think a warlord/wizard would offer you greater Int synergy, and feel very similar.

Caution, hunters quarry can only be used for 1 round per encounter when you multiclass into ranger, it is not as good as folk think.
It's an errata from WotC Miko check out this thread for more (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=229723)

True, true, but the ranged attack feats offer more synergy than any in the Fighter's list. Honestly, Wizard-Fighter isn't a very good combo anymore (Warlord is a bit better, but it still requires mostly melee attacks). Fighter-Wizard is actually a lot better, since the ranged control spells are pretty neat.

Warlord-Wizard though... I'd buy that. Decent armor, and the Warlord doesn't have a lot of AoEs if things get sticky. Go Tactical Presence, probably take Human with an Int Focus (that extra feat is good for multiclassing!). Tiefling is probably a good second (has an Int Bonus, and Cha is good for Warlords). Eldarin aren't bad (can get +2 to Longsword with Eldarin Soldier *and* get a natural +2 on Arcana checks) but that Dex is mostly just going to go to waste.

Conners
2008-06-12, 02:58 AM
I wanted a wizard-fighter because a character I'm keen on using was a sorcerer-fighter or fighter-sorcerer. I need to be the main controller of my group, though, so I guess I'll just make a plain wizard for this campaign.

However, I might as well continue the thread :smallbiggrin:.

So it's better to be a Fighter-Wizard than a Wizard-Fighter? This could suit me well for future campaigns. Can a fighter-wizard be bad-ass in both melee and magic?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-12, 03:47 AM
I wanted a wizard-fighter because a character I'm keen on using was a sorcerer-fighter or fighter-sorcerer. I need to be the main controller of my group, though, so I guess I'll just make a plain wizard for this campaign.

However, I might as well continue the thread :smallbiggrin:.

So it's better to be a Fighter-Wizard than a Wizard-Fighter? This could suit me well for future campaigns. Can a fighter-wizard be bad-ass in both melee and magic?

I'm... going to have to dial down your expectations for "being badass in magic." There's still a lot of "pop" in the wizard spell list, but most of the more over-the-top stuff has been toned down.

Plus, no more scrolls with offensive spells.

Now, a Fighter is going to be badass in melee, no question. A Tiefling Paladin-Wizard would actually be pretty sweet too (note that Paladins no longer have alignment restrictions). But you're just not going to see "wizard duels" like you used to.

If I were making a Blaster Gish (which is what it sounds like you're going for) I'd go for a light armor fighter (Hide) so that you can use your Int bonus for AC. You'll need STR and INT, of course... so maybe you'd like Dragonborn (nice combat abilities, +2 STR, breath weapon). Go with a two-handed weapon too. Then use the multiclass Wizard to pick up a few choice wizard spells too.

Now, the Warlord-Wizard definitely has more synergies, but it's much more control-y than smash-y. If you don't mind being the team coordinator, that's a pretty nice mix.

Maybe a Fighter-Warlock might be more your style... or just a Warlock. An Eldarin Warlock can use a Longsword, already uses Leather, and Warlock Curse is just a good power. Take the Infernal Pact and you can start sucking up temporary HP as you drop guys you've cursed.

It should be noted that you really can't just do "dips" anymore. Taking 2 levels of Fighter for 2 feats and all the proficiencies just doesn't work anymore. Wizards (even multiclassed) aren't as good as Fighters and Two-Weapon Rangers in the Melee - heck, they're not even close anymore.

Charity
2008-06-12, 06:28 AM
How about Ranger/LaserclericTM go TWF, Wis is useful for both, Ranger is a big hitter and the cleric has some control powers.

Or even just a reflavoured Cleric, ditch all the healy stuff and go for smashy zappy powers.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-12, 06:50 AM
How about Ranger/LaserclericTM go TWF, Wis is useful for both, Ranger is a big hitter and the cleric has some control powers.

Or even just a reflavoured Cleric, ditch all the healy stuff and go for smashy zappy powers.

I dunno... the pimped out Warlock really is doing it for me. Particularly since he can walk 4 steps and gain Concealment - and thus theoretically make a Stealth check to hide and gain combat advantage.

Sprinkle a little Rogue multi-class and that sucker can get nasty. Not really worth it, mechanically, but flavor wise, I can see it.

Seriously though, Infernal Warlock is an excellent battlecaster. Take Improved Dark One's Gift for 3+1/2LV temporary HP every time a Cursed dude dies, and then just wade through the battle. With a strength of 13 you can get Hide Proficiency and Light Shield Proficiency (+3 and +1, respectively) and every time you get hit after using Rebuke you pile on an extra 1d6+Con damage on your target.

Hmmm.... that gets into MAD territory, but you probably don't need to worry about being too melee, since you gain an effective +2 Defense from Concealment just by walking around. Oh, that stacks nicely if you're Tiefling:
1st level Tiefling Warlock with Leather and Shield (+3), plus a 14+2 INT (+3) stacking with Concealment (+2) gives you an AC 18, which is what your Dwarf Fighter with Scale and a Light Shield is using. Nice.

Seriously, you should think about a Tiefling Infernal Pact Warlock. Focus on Int and Con for ability scores, slide by with a 13 Strength for later armor feats, and pick Improved Dark One's Favor as your starting Feat. I *think* your next feat is at second level anyhow, so take Light Shield Use then (+1 AC, +1 Reflex)... and you'll be a pretty tanky spell-slinger, even if you don't have much armor. Plus, you can line up for a Pact Blade later on, which should get all that sword swinging out of you.

TheDarkOne
2008-06-12, 11:10 AM
I know :smallfrown:

But seriously, when do you use a Basic Ranged Attack? Does that mean that it also does Dex Damage or something? Is this something they're preserving for splatbooks (for some reason?).

I wish the at-will Warlord power didn't mandate melee based attacks. I can totally see a Warlord sitting back and saying "okay wizard, shoot now."

It will work with the "Bracers of the Perfect Shot" and there's also a bunch of Warlord powers that specify allies making a "basic attack" which is either ranged or melee. (not to mention one power that explicitly mentions making allies make a basic ranged attack on a miss)

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-12, 11:17 AM
It will work with the "Bracers of the Perfect Shot" and there's also a bunch of Warlord powers that specify allies making a "basic attack" which is either ranged or melee. (not to mention one power that explicitly mentions making allies make a basic ranged attack on a miss)

Nifty! Do you have the pages they're on... or the levels they come available? I swear that I poured over the Warlord powerlist for my Inspiration "lead from the back" half-elf Warlord but I couldn't find them!