PDA

View Full Version : Solo monsters with templates

hamishspence
2008-06-12, 08:09 AM
Should this be done by DMs, and if so, is it a good idea? I would, but I like the idea of making some monsters a bit more 3rd ed-ish.

I'd work it like this: Max 1 template allowed, apply all changes, (so, for example, solo elites have +7 to all saves) and assume that 1 action point for elites means 1 EXTRA action point, award XP as if monster was 1 more monster (doubling it would be a bit much, solos count as 5 monsters, elites count as two, so treat elite template as One Extra Monster XP award.)

Dragon with the lich template: now you have dracolich which can choose to breath its normal breath weapon, as well as necrotic version, and keeps more of flavour of its original type.

Dragon with Wizard template: no you have you classic spellcaster dragon.

Continue as appropiate.

How does this Elite Solo idea sound?

Solo
2008-06-12, 08:12 AM
Oh yes, very good.

Myshlaevsky
2008-06-12, 08:14 AM
I've been wondering about this myself, because the loss of the "classic spellcasting dragon" was one of the few things I was gutted about in 4e. Other than that, huge fan.

Kudos, and I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: I'm surprised you support this, Solo, because the title implies you're not unique. And that people can change you as they see fit.

hamishspence
2008-06-12, 08:34 AM
it could be that the Solo line in each relevant monster statblock means the monster is that little bit more like Solo :smallsmile:

I'm not sure if combining Elite with Solo is entirely balanced but the intent is to make some of the existing Solo monsters a little more interesting. I decided to err on the side of caution when handing out XP.

Moff Chumley
2008-06-12, 06:18 PM
If we assume that we're referring to EE with "Elite", I think there is a very good reason why we can't have a monster that is both similar to Evil Elitist and Solo. This is because they are opposites.

hamishspence
2008-06-14, 07:09 AM
that wasn't actually the original intent of the post.

While the power is significantly reduced, it is still possible to approximate old concepts with templates: NPC wizard + Lich + Dread Master enables a hint of Xykon: blasty wizard who can create undead in emergancies. Not an exact match, but a rough idea.

In same way, Berzerker Fighters make pretty fair barbarians.

I would use Wizard Dragons (or dracoliches) for replicating some of the flavour of old Forgotten Realms.

JaxGaret
2008-06-14, 09:09 AM
While the power is significantly reduced, it is still possible to approximate old concepts with templates: NPC wizard + Lich + Dread Master enables a hint of Xykon: blasty wizard who can create undead in emergancies. Not an exact match, but a rough idea.

In same way, Berzerker Fighters make pretty fair barbarians.

I would use Wizard Dragons (or dracoliches) for replicating some of the flavour of old Forgotten Realms.

Agreed. The templating mechanic for customizing monsters is incredibly flexible. 4e monster creation/editing in general saves a lot of time, freeing up the DM to think more about overall feel and flavor they want their campaign session to have rather than having to delve into minutiae.