PDA

View Full Version : Clear Cookies?

Solo
2008-06-12, 11:11 AM
I only go on a few sites, but every time I purge my computer (delete cookiess, then run anti-spyware) there are always some tracking cookies and I don't know where they come from. I am trying to narrow down teh sites they could be originating from.

Is it likely that any of these come from message boards such as GitP?

Lord Omberous
2008-06-12, 01:24 PM
I only go on a few sites, but every time I purge my computer (delete cookiess, then run anti-spyware) there are always some tracking cookies and I don't know where they come from. I am trying to narrow down teh sites they could be originating from.

Is it likely that any of these come from message boards such as GitP?Well, some cookies, like when you tell it to "keep you logged in," are from forums, but most vBulletin fourms are clean of that stuff. So things like GitP and Tangled Web are fine as far as I know.

Zherog
2008-06-12, 02:24 PM
Do you go to the WotC forums? They place a cookie on your PC from a tool called "hitbox." Some spyware searchers classify hitbox as spyware. So that could be one of the ones you're seeing.

adanedhel9
2008-06-12, 05:27 PM
I think cookies can come from ads... so any site with ads could be a potential source.

Can you set your browser to ask for confirmation before accepting a cookie? You could turn it on and browse for a few hours. That should help narrow it down.

Solo
2008-06-12, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys. That should help clear up the issue.