PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #565 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2008-06-12, 09:59 PM
New comic is up.

El_Jefe
2008-06-12, 10:04 PM
HA HA HA!!!!

I love it!!!! Can't wait till they get to the Oracle again.

I really love this comic!!!

Grey Watcher
2008-06-12, 10:04 PM
That. was.

AWESOME!!!!!

Owl
2008-06-12, 10:06 PM
Mr. Burlew, you write very well. Thank you for this comic.

I laughed at the truth/lie guys. :smallbiggrin:

I've never played the game - a friend referred me to this webcomic for the storytelling - but you make it look like it would be a lot of fun.

Yendor
2008-06-12, 10:07 PM
Oh my gods, that was friggin' hilarious.

kirbsys
2008-06-12, 10:07 PM
Loved it. Specially the gaming session. Genius plan.

Ulrichomega
2008-06-12, 10:08 PM
Left Path!

Awesome...

Jarzaz
2008-06-12, 10:11 PM
I lol'd! That was great!

HOLEkevin
2008-06-12, 10:12 PM
Blue box blazes! Roy's back!

Hooray!

tenguro
2008-06-12, 10:12 PM
Wow that was unexpected, came here accidently, and BAM new comic up. Roy is finally gonna be raised, I can feel it.

David Argall
2008-06-12, 10:14 PM
speculation The kobold will see Roy and will even offer him an answer, but of course Roy will have problems paying for it.
It is unlikely Roy will get raised here, or will get any clear idea how to be raised.
Our assumption Belkar and Haley will not remember the tests, or much of anything else, is looking good.

kwanzaabot
2008-06-12, 10:17 PM
Wow that was unexpected, came here accidently, and BAM new comic up. Roy is finally gonna be raised, I can feel it.

Unlikely. :smallwink:
Roy will be a ghost at the time of the attempted resurrection, and undead are unaffected by a Resurrection spell.

Of course, there's always artistic license. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-12, 10:17 PM
Oh I do hope Roy gets raised. But it won't happen.
I liked that the test remembered Haley. :smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2008-06-12, 10:18 PM
"Left path! Left path!"

Priceless. :smallcool:

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-06-12, 10:21 PM
Man oh man that was good. He he, R & G are too funny! I wonder what important bit of info our dear gullibles are going to *not* remember this time...

Hood
2008-06-12, 10:22 PM
I can't help but wonder if the game sequence is from one of Rich's own games...

Gavinfoxx
2008-06-12, 10:23 PM
Which comic was the test of the mind one referring to? I forget...

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-06-12, 10:24 PM
So even Roy plays "out of type." A big, muscular warrior plays a small gnome illusionist. Priceless!

silvadel
2008-06-12, 10:24 PM
Kobold Roy meets Belkar...

Vrek
2008-06-12, 10:26 PM
Clarification: The last time the Order passed here, Haley shot the Red Guy in the foot to find out which path was the correct one, thus the Red Guy's fear of Haley.

But, we must all focus on the real issue here: That butterscotch pudding golem is obviously O-Chul's holy paladin mount!

SteveMB
2008-06-12, 10:26 PM
So, even characters from a stale old logic puzzle can learn from experience....

Hyozo
2008-06-12, 10:27 PM
This comic is almost perfect. D&D refferences that won't be entirely out of the grasp of non D&D players, Roy/Eugine ribbing, a decent joke within a continuity nod. The only way (that I can think of now at aproximately 11:30)to make it better would be to have Elan humor as well.

tomaO2
2008-06-12, 10:31 PM
This won't work. Roy never even got to learn his Grandfather's new feat.He's gotta do that before he get's resurrected.

Man it's REALLY hard to get on the front page.

zzyss
2008-06-12, 10:32 PM
"Left path! Left path!"I know that it wasn't intended, but this line of dialogue reminded me of that scene from Transformers (2007):

Captain Lennox: I need a credit card! Epps, where's your wallet?
Sergeant Epps: Pocket!
Lennox: Which pocket?
Epps: MY BACK POCKET!
Lennox: You got like ten back pockets!
Epps: LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!

SteveMB
2008-06-12, 10:32 PM
This comic is almost perfect. D&D refferences that won't be entirely out of the grasp of non D&D players, Roy/Eugine ribbing, a decent joke within a continuity nod. The only way (that I can think of now at aproximately 11:30)to make it better would be to have Elan humor as well.

As the green guy would say, "This strip was totally not funny".

Trizap
2008-06-12, 10:35 PM
hilarious!

NeonRonin
2008-06-12, 10:37 PM
ROFLMAO that was a good one!

Good to see Mr. Red and Mr. Green once again... and even better to note they remember what happened last time Haley came through. And all the while, she's going, :smallconfused:?

I wonder if there's a sourcebook for stats on a butterscotch pudding golem...

Maybe it'd have stats on gingerbread golems as well.

Thanks, Rich!

Erloas
2008-06-12, 10:39 PM
that was great. can I disbelieve my own illusion?

dogmac
2008-06-12, 10:41 PM
ROTFL!!

We want as much trouble as possible!!!

Remirach
2008-06-12, 10:41 PM
I'm not really getting the butterscotch golem thing, but the return of Red and Green was just hilarious. And hey, a two-fer update.

Red XIV
2008-06-12, 10:49 PM
Hopefully this signals a ressurrection for Roy in the near future. He's been dead for a rather long time now, after all. 122 strips so far since his death.

The fact that the main character has been dead for over a fifth of the story so far makes the DBZ joke back in 485 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0485.html) all the more appropriate.

Martok
2008-06-12, 10:50 PM
"Left path! Left path!"

*snicker* :smallamused:

Jake
2008-06-12, 10:55 PM
Aw, no Goblin Dan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html)?

Great comic, Rich.

Scott Haley
2008-06-12, 11:09 PM
In Heaven, the RPG's still have gnomes as a player character class.

In my version of Heaven, there'd always be at least two players and a GM. One on one role playing isn't as fun.

BooTheHamster
2008-06-12, 11:13 PM
Aw, no Goblin Dan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html)?

Great comic, Rich.

This is how he made his SECOND million.

I miss Goblin Dan...

Anyhow, EXCELLENT comic. How, oh how will the gnome illusionist escape the giant ogre?! The mystery will remain unsolved, I suppose...

Red XIV
2008-06-12, 11:14 PM
In Heaven, the RPG's still have gnomes as a player character class.
I think Roy & Roy's Archon are playing 1st Edition.

Yendor
2008-06-12, 11:19 PM
I think Roy & Roy's Archon are playing 1st Edition.

Yup. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html) Still playing from when Mr. Gygax passed through.

TigerHunter
2008-06-12, 11:24 PM
That... was awesome. Pure awesome.

Bitzeralisis
2008-06-12, 11:34 PM
The Order of the Stick fights a lot of weird elementals. :smallconfused:

Aerysil
2008-06-12, 11:39 PM
YAY! Bust a gut laughter! :) :)

Arkenputtyknife
2008-06-12, 11:40 PM
Roy will be a ghost at the time of the attempted resurrection, and undead are unaffected by a Resurrection spell.
Uh, no. I'm not a D&D rules expert, but there are plenty of people here who are, and they've indicated in past threads that Roy is not a ghost in the monster manual sense of the word. He won't be undead and he will be affected by Resurrection.

Nemoricus
2008-06-12, 11:41 PM
Is it just me, or is the guardian of the valley always something edible?

In any case, quite amusing.

Also, are Roy's Archon and Roy playing a one-on-one session? If so, I think he's missing out.

Timberboar
2008-06-12, 11:52 PM
Also, are Roy's Archon and Roy playing a one-on-one session? If so, I think he's missing out.

Short story time!

Infamous gambler and con man Canada Bill Jones was playing a game of Faro when he was approached by his friend and partner, George Devol. Devol pulls him aside from the game and quietly informs his partner that the game he's playing in is rigged, and the other players are cheating.

Canada Bill claps him on the back and proclaims, "I know it's crooked, but it's the only game in town!"

jmucchiello
2008-06-12, 11:52 PM
"Left path! Left path!"

I was so expecting Green's line to be, "shoot me! shoot-- screw this always lying crap. Left path!!"

The 1HP Wonder
2008-06-13, 12:01 AM
That's easily the funniest OotS in a long time, and with this comic, that's saying something. And not just because of Red & Green. "What in the Blue Box blazes" and "short, wrinkled, and superfluous" are little gems in their own right.
On the butterscotch pudding golem... I was once in a game where the party fought a calzone golem. That caused Fire damage every time it took a hit, due to hot tomato sauce squirting out from the wound.

- 1HP

kwanzaabot
2008-06-13, 12:13 AM
Uh, no. I'm not a D&D rules expert, but there are plenty of people here who are, and they've indicated in past threads that Roy is not a ghost in the monster manual sense of the word. He won't be undead and he will be affected by Resurrection.

I've heard speculation for both sides, but it's just that at the moment. That's why I said "unlikely", and not "impossible".

Again, it comes down to artistic license. Roy could be a special oath spirit, who just happens to still count as undead, for all we know. I mean, most spirits of dead people tend to fall in the Undead category either way.

However, we won't know for sure for another couple days. :smalltongue:

Forum Explorer
2008-06-13, 12:17 AM
My guess on what will happen

Belkar will kill the Oracle as Haley won't be able to keep him in check, also Belkar killing the Oracle will stop them from rezzing Roy/contacting V

DarkLightDragon
2008-06-13, 12:21 AM
This has got to be one of the funniest OOTS comics ever! :smallbiggrin:

Rethorn
Brilliant!

factotum

The first time it was a hydra, which is only edible by dint of being made of meat, like 90% of monsters are...I hardly call it much of a link.

I *do* wonder if Goblin Dan is now going to be selling butterscotch pudding to go with his all-you-can-eat hydra heads, though!

the_tick_rules
2008-06-13, 12:28 AM
a hyrda replacd by a pudding golem? Maybe the oracle responded to their lower EL? Plus, why not eat the golem, butterscotch kicks butt.

Forealms
2008-06-13, 12:49 AM
I definitely did enjoy this one. Can't wait for the Best of the OotSes gets around so I can vote for it. Twice.

holywhippet
2008-06-13, 12:50 AM

What isn't edible in D&D? Even metal is edible by rust monsters.

Vrek
2008-06-13, 12:52 AM
What isn't edible in D&D? Even metal is edible by rust monsters.

Abstract/vague themes?

Arkenputtyknife
2008-06-13, 12:56 AM
I was so expecting Green's line to be, "shoot me! shoot-- screw this always lying crap. Left path!!"
You know, all Green Guy really had to say was, "Ask me if it's the left path, and I'll say yes!"

Borris
2008-06-13, 01:04 AM
Mmmm... Butterscotch pudding. The perfect dessert after a good meal of BBQ hydra head.

Yendor
2008-06-13, 01:04 AM
They left the cart behind. Hope that nothing bad happens while they're away. And the Oracle isn't more than a mile away.

Animefunkmaster
2008-06-13, 01:20 AM
I liked that the test remembered Haley. :smallbiggrin:

Truer words were never spoken.

Red XIV
2008-06-13, 01:21 AM
I just noticed something. Mr Scruffy is an awfully obedient cat. None of mine come (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0522.html) and stay (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0565.html) on command like him.

Edea
2008-06-13, 01:36 AM
Hell, I'm surprised Belkar hasn't turned the bloody feline into his animal companion yet :/.

Cookbook
2008-06-13, 01:36 AM
It seems that in heaven you hapen to roll your favorite character (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html) ,or I wonder if the archon let Roy re-roll until he hit the illusionist. It also makes me wonder if a being of pure law and good is the best kind of DM, "In here we do things by the book".

Oh, and Mr.Green&red were awesome :smallbiggrin:

Taross
2008-06-13, 01:38 AM
I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I got to the Red and Green guy. :smallbiggrin:

Selene
2008-06-13, 01:58 AM
The look on those guys' faces when they saw Haley... ROFLMAO!! That was fantastic!

Occasional Sage
2008-06-13, 02:08 AM
I've heard speculation for both sides, but it's just that at the moment. That's why I said "unlikely", and not "impossible".

Again, it comes down to artistic license. Roy could be a special oath spirit, who just happens to still count as undead, for all we know. I mean, most spirits of dead people tend to fall in the Undead category either way.
Don't you think the deva would have mentioned to Roy that he'd be a permanent guest, then? See panels nine and ten for a strong suggestion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0487.html) that he can be rezzed.

However, we won't know for sure for another couple days. :smalltongue:

Minimum. I'm expecting this to drag out a few more strips, myself.

JoseB
2008-06-13, 02:27 AM
Don't you think the deva would have mentioned to Roy that he'd be a permanent guest, then? See panels nine and ten for a strong suggestion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0487.html) that he can be rezzed.

Besides, it is clear that Roy is not considered to be an "Oath Spirit", bound to the conditions of the oath. Check strips #490 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html) (final row of panels, especially) and #491 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0491.html): If Roy had been an "Oath Spirit", he would not have been admitted into Celestia.

He is just your standard disembodied soul in the afterlife, who happens to have a special connection with his family sword, which allows him to manifest in the Prime Material Plane. He is not an undead. He is 100% able to be resurrected, if the diamonds and the cleric are at hand.

Just my 2 eurocent!

JoseB

RTGoodman
2008-06-13, 02:32 AM
On the butterscotch pudding golem... I was once in a game where the party fought a calzone golem. That caused Fire damage every time it took a hit, due to hot tomato sauce squirting out from the wound.

Ah, that's "Something's Cooking," a truly great adventure! I've run it quite a few times. :smallbiggrin:

Loved the strip. Also, I expect someone on the homebrew forum will be stattin' out some Pudding Elementals sometime in the next 24 hours... :smalltongue:

Earl_Of_Wessex
2008-06-13, 02:52 AM
...I wonder what important bit of info our dear gullibles are going to *not* remember this time...

Oh gosh I've just had a terrible thought - what if they forget about leaving Mr Scruffy and the cart!!!

Also - great strip today, one of the best in recent times.

turkishproverb
2008-06-13, 02:53 AM
My guess on what will happen

Belkar will kill the Oracle as Haley won't be able to keep him in check, also Belkar killing the Oracle will stop them from rezzing Roy/contacting V

I thought the same thing.

Abstract/vague themes?

*chews on anti-materialist concepts put in place with creatures like rust monster*

Niknokitueu
2008-06-13, 02:53 AM
"Left Path! Left Path!" Heh heh.

Gotta hand it to you Rich, I could see that joke coming a mile off, and it was still funny.

Please keep it coming.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Red XIV
2008-06-13, 02:56 AM
Oh gosh I've just had a terrible thought - what if they forget about leaving Mr Scruffy and the cart!!!
They'll be coming back to the cart on their way out.

kukn
2008-06-13, 03:02 AM
OotS is riding a wave of spectacular with these last strips.

Hilarious, crammed full of great lines!

Also (possibly):
Roy will be able to contact Haley via the Oracle and tell them everything. However, as the only thing people remember from the valley are the Oracle's visions, Haley and co. will forget about Roy's ghost visit completely.

B.I.T.T.
2008-06-13, 03:38 AM
Just read it.

I'm still laughing.

carebearbecky
2008-06-13, 04:58 AM
Very much enjoyed that. Cutting back to Roy shouldn't have been too much of a surprise, but it was! Also loved the return of the logic puzzle (as everyone else also appears to have done!)

Thufir
2008-06-13, 05:14 AM
:roy: Yeah, short, wrinkled and superfluous. Oh! You meant the illusions.
Brilliant.

Poukis
2008-06-13, 05:24 AM
Very well done! And since it's easier to point out bad things and not good I am extremely happy about the rate of updates! I feel that you try very hard to do it and I just wanted to say thank you!
Cheers!

Lumenadducere
2008-06-13, 05:30 AM
Heheh, love the reactions and the fact that Haley doesn't even know why they're behaving the way they are.

JasonDoomsblade
2008-06-13, 06:03 AM
Heh. This strip was excellent. :smallbiggrin:

Blaznak
2008-06-13, 06:06 AM
I wonder what edition D&D they were playing?

Well, good to see Roy is still in it!
Later,

RebelRogue
2008-06-13, 06:11 AM
Hell, I'm surprised Belkar hasn't turned the bloody feline into his animal companion yet :/.
What leads you to believe he has not?

banjo1985
2008-06-13, 06:17 AM
Yay the orange and green guys return!

Nice strip, you can just tell Roy is that kind of D&D player you have to keep an eye on. :smallbiggrin:

Roderick_BR
2008-06-13, 06:39 AM

Of course, there's always artistic license. :smallbiggrin:
Roy is still not a Ghost, just a spirit, since he doesn't have neither a template, nor manifesting powers :smallwink: </nitpick>

Awesome comic :smallbiggrin: Roy's passing the time playing RPGs and giving witty retorts to Eugene, and the true/lie thing was... Genius!:smallbiggrin:

Harbajar
2008-06-13, 07:02 AM
That was hilarity with a capital 'H'!
and I
and L
and A
..... I think you get the idea. Hail to thee author - keep up thy great work.

Lira
2008-06-13, 07:08 AM
Heh heh, good one :D. And I love how Haley is completely clueless as to why they're doing it.

PhallicWarrior
2008-06-13, 07:46 AM
I remember who they are! Did I pass the Test of the Memory?

Awesome as always, Giant.

kwanzaabot
2008-06-13, 07:47 AM

I had this whole essay-type response written up, but i'll just summarise it.

Being resurrected by the Oracle is too easy of a way out. My guess is that Roy's gonna be dead for quite some time. Probably some time after the Order even gets reunited.

It just seems to me that his dad could have just minded his own business and let Roy get resurrected, instead he gives Roy the idea to visit the Oracle.

That's definitely the kind of loving and not at all bastardly or deceitful fathering that Eugene's known for.
Come on, he knows what he's doing. Eugene is indirectly sending Roy back down to the material plane for the sole purpose of delaying his resurrection.

TBone
2008-06-13, 07:54 AM
Quality stuff. I am really liking the Haley, Belkar, Celia trio. Still not sold on the paladins and pirates arc yet. and lets get Roy back into the game ehh? But yeah, best comic in a goodly while. the red and green guys were well timed and placed.

Big ups.

happyturtle
2008-06-13, 07:57 AM
Roy could have been playing D&D non-stop for months. What a great afterlife!

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please let Haley's plan work! I miss Roy so much!

Hydro
2008-06-13, 08:47 AM
Awesome.

It seems that in heaven you happen to roll your favorite character,

Roy got a decent INT on the first roll.
It may be 1st ed., but it IS still heaven.

Shatteredtower
2008-06-13, 08:50 AM
Being resurrected by the Oracle is too easy of a way out.Easy? Roy's been dead for over 120 strips. That's roughly 20% of the length of the series to date!

It's well past time to snap the fingers and get on with it. There's no good reason to draw it out any longer -- no, not even to show how kobold bloodthirsty Belkar can be.

Mojique
2008-06-13, 09:04 AM
note: this was the reference to #327. And next one is "The Test of the Heart".

Stu
2008-06-13, 11:35 AM
I was stumbling around some of the older comics and came across this:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0217.html

At first I thought, it's somewhat unfortunate that Elan's "DM" isn't quite as nice as Roy's. Then I realized that "unfortunate" wasn't the word I was looking for... it was "hilarious" :)

The Gremlin
2008-06-13, 12:03 PM
Ha ha ha ha...I laughed out loud at this one...hilarious... :smallbiggrin:

David Argall
2008-06-13, 02:22 PM

While Eugene calls himself a ghost in #15, neither he nor Roy fit the MM definition. An important difference is that ghosts can manifest pretty much at will, and Roy is having extreme troubles doing so.
A DM wanting to railroad the party might insist Roy can't be resed because of that, but going by the rules, a 13th level cleric, 10,000 gp of diamond, and a piece of Roy makes for a live Roy.

Eugene is indirectly sending Roy back down to the material plane for the sole purpose of delaying his resurrection.

While rag on Roy is a favorite game of his, Eugene is still on Roy's side, and wants Roy alive. [Even a tiny chance of destroying Xykon is better than none.] So Eugene is not going to try something that delays resurrection.

I definitely did enjoy this one. Can't wait for the Best of the OotSes gets around so I can vote for it. Twice.
Sure, it's a good comic, but compared to 563? A half-dozen chuckles do not beat a horse laugh.

Red XIV
2008-06-13, 02:54 PM
I had this whole essay-type response written up, but i'll just summarise it.

Being resurrected by the Oracle is too easy of a way out. My guess is that Roy's gonna be dead for quite some time. Probably some time after the Order even gets reunited.
He's already been dead for quite some time. 122 chapters and counting. Over a fifth of the entire story.

It just seems to me that his dad could have just minded his own business and let Roy get resurrected, instead he gives Roy the idea to visit the Oracle.

That's definitely the kind of loving and not at all bastardly or deceitful fathering that Eugene's known for.
Come on, he knows what he's doing. Eugene is indirectly sending Roy back down to the material plane for the sole purpose of delaying his resurrection.
Why would Eugene want to do that? Yes, he's a jerk, but he's a self-interested jerk. He needs the blood oath fulfilled to move on to the afterlife, and he needs Roy alive to do that. Well unless he wants to wait several more decades for Julia to gain enough spellcasting levels to be a threat to Xykon.

David Argall
2008-06-13, 03:22 PM
He's already been dead for quite some time. 122 chapters and counting. Over a fifth of the entire story.

I agree it has been too long, but just look at all the ideas that are possible from the Oracle. Maybe Haley is told to X the Y to get back in contact with Durkon. She takes strips puzzling over that, and then we have a dozen strips in which she does that by accident. Belkar and Celia get the same possible treatment, plus the time with the Oracle. Roy may not draw breath for another 50 strips.

Morgan Wick
2008-06-13, 03:30 PM
Wow, it's almost as if Gygax's death fits into Burlew's Evil Master Plan to Drop Hints That Don't Look Like Hints.

Roy may well be able to pass a message to the Oracle, or even Haley, Celia and Belkar, but because of the memory charm the latter group won't remember it.

Or, considering how long he's been playing, what he tells them may be out of date.

I still don't know what Roy can tell Haley and Co., or even the Oracle, that would or could possibly change anything. Especially the Oracle, who should know all anyway, even if he does twist the words when relaying it.

Or, Roy may be foiled again and have to try a THIRD time.

As for Roy getting rezzed by the Oracle: If they try that, they'll need to go back and get the cart, and it may turn up missing, leading to a wild goose chase around the valley and possibly accidentially leaving it, and if it's successful, it's possible that, even if Roy WOULD have remembered everything he learned while dead, he'll forget when he leaves the valley.

nosajtpno
2008-06-13, 04:21 PM
"I totally could've kicked her ass if I wanted to, you know."

Man, that's the best line. ^_^ I love how it takes just a half-second to realize who's saying it.

Faramir
2008-06-13, 04:30 PM
"Left path! Left path!"

Almost word for word what I was going to post.

Siosilvar
2008-06-13, 04:43 PM
This comic = awesome. Not only is Roy playing first edition, green's "We do want as much trouble as possible" line is just amazing.

Weiser_Cain
2008-06-13, 05:59 PM
I love how I don't remember why the red and green would let them through... Liked the gaming session

Ronan
2008-06-13, 06:08 PM
Giant you...

...you damn...

... genious *.*

100 strips left for strip #666

and counting :smalltongue:

Shott
2008-06-13, 06:11 PM
The butterscoth pudding golem made me ROFL.

dragoncmd
2008-06-13, 08:16 PM
That was the hardest i've laughed in a long time.

Fridesgerte
2008-06-13, 09:01 PM
That's easily the funniest OotS in a long time, and with this comic, that's saying something. And not just because of Red & Green. "What in the Blue Box blazes" and "short, wrinkled, and superfluous" are little gems in their own right.

- 1HP

My party once fought a marshmallow golem (looked liked the Michelin tire mascot) that did no damage when it hit because it was well...marshmallow. It was sent against us by a djinn that was being compelled to attack us while we tried to talk to it and figure out a way to free it, so it kept summoning things that didn't hurt.

Liwen
2008-06-13, 09:34 PM
I think we can pretty much assume Belkar has a animal companion by now. Also, the Red & Green show was so funny I laughed about it for about 5 mins. Roy's pretty smart too.

Fitzclowningham
2008-06-13, 09:36 PM
Looks like the Archon plays by different rules (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0217.html) than Rich does.

Also, why a butterscotch pudding golem? Why not just a butterscotch pudding?

dish
2008-06-13, 10:21 PM
I love the butterscotch pudding golem. And I love the memory guys.

Oh, there are so many things that could go wrong with the visit to the oracle. I'm just praying that something finally goes right and Roy gets to join them again.

Red XIV
2008-06-13, 10:22 PM
As for Roy getting rezzed by the Oracle: If they try that, they'll need to go back and get the cart, and it may turn up missing, leading to a wild goose chase around the valley and possibly accidentially leaving it, and if it's successful, it's possible that, even if Roy WOULD have remembered everything he learned while dead, he'll forget when he leaves the valley.
If the cart is moved, they'll know pretty quickly because Belkar is magically bound to Roy's body by the MoJ. If it gets a mile away from him, the mark activates. And the memory charm will only affect anything Roy learns inside the valley. If he gets to remember his afterlife experiences (and if he's not going to, the Deva giving him advice to be less snarky if he's ressurrected was pointless), the Oracle's memory charm wouldn't change that.

Also, if he's able to relay a message to Haley via the Oracle, there's a very simple way to make sure she doesn't forget it: have her write the message down.

ishnar
2008-06-13, 10:23 PM
-edit

just deleted because i should have read the full thread before posting.

Abaddon
2008-06-13, 10:50 PM
I dont get the blue box blazes comment...

factotum
2008-06-14, 12:33 AM
Looks like the Archon plays by different rules (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0217.html) than Rich does.

Don't quite see how...Elan disguising himself as an ogre doesn't really bear any relation to Roy's illusionist casting an illusion of a door, IMHO.

H. Zee
2008-06-14, 12:36 AM
Hee hee hee. Awesome.

OOTS strips just keep on delivering the lulz.

someonenonotyou
2008-06-14, 12:47 AM
Dr Who refence? anyone the Tarurus or am i just crazy

Roy may well be able to pass a message to the Oracle, or even Haley, Celia and Belkar, but because of the memory charm the latter group won't remember it.

no see they roy will get the message to the orcale but belkar kills him first

DrivinAllNight
2008-06-14, 01:10 AM
I had to stop re-reading the comic, it is just too funny and good, Roy was to great to see again, and the R&G guys keep making me laygh every time I see them scream out "Left Path, Left Path!!!" That you Mr B for a great comic again. :)

DrivinAllNight
2008-06-14, 01:31 AM
Dang It, I read it again, still laughing about it, but for some reason now I want a poster of the R&G panel where there screaming about the left path, or at least maybe on the outside of a notebook for a class. That panel is just too awesome to not have it put into some sort of production.

danielmayer
2008-06-14, 01:35 AM
We do want as much trouble as possible
- really priceless!

I did like the first reference to Hensons' Labyrinth, but this second one was great. Damn, sometimes I wonder if all these figures are alter egos of Giant in his daily life...? :D

I second the T-shirt request: This strip is predestined to be worn!

Charles Phipps
2008-06-14, 06:13 AM
Easy? Roy's been dead for over 120 strips. That's roughly 20% of the length of the series to date!

It's well past time to snap the fingers and get on with it. There's no good reason to draw it out any longer -- no, not even to show how kobold bloodthirsty Belkar can be.

To continue allowing the development of the other OOTS without Roy to hog the spotlight is a good reason.

Kish
2008-06-14, 07:01 AM
Don't quite see how...Elan disguising himself as an ogre doesn't really bear any relation to Roy's illusionist casting an illusion of a door, IMHO.
Elan couldn't automatically see through his own illusion.

SPoD
2008-06-14, 07:18 AM
Easy? Roy's been dead for over 120 strips. That's roughly 20% of the length of the series to date!

I will never understand this idea that there's something that needs to be "gotten on with". Why do so many people just want to skip whatever material Rich is interested in writing to get to what they want to see, and why do so many people only want to see the Order directly pursuing Xykon? This story used to wander all over the place and no one complained; I don't remember anyone whining about the Bandit storyline, even though it had nothing to do with Xykon or the Gates or anything. Nowadays, it's all, "Get back to what I've decided the main plot is!"

The story will proceed at the pace the author wishes, and declaring that there's "no good reason" for something to happen is essentially the same as saying that you know what is good for the story better than the author does. Which may be exactly what you're trying to do, but at least say it openly so that everyone else knows to ignore you.

To continue allowing the development of the other OOTS without Roy to hog the spotlight is a good reason.

Exactly; look at the Number of Character Appearances (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26675) thread; even after being dead for all this time, Roy still has appeared in the comic 50+ more times than the next most frequent character, Elan...and 109 times more than Vaarsuvius! Who, you'll notice, is getting some character development with his/her creeping obsession while Roy is away.

Fabio_MP
2008-06-14, 09:25 AM
New comic is up.

great one!

thank you! as ever

Patrick
2008-06-14, 09:26 AM
Butterscotch Pudding Golem? Methinks the Giant is plotting his next OotSAdventureGame monsters

teratorn
2008-06-14, 09:36 AM
While Eugene calls himself a ghost in #15,

Don't you mean Jerome?

Arkenputtyknife
2008-06-14, 10:39 AM
So what? Elan is living in a D&D-like world. Roy is playing 1st Ed. The rules are different.

kinch
2008-06-14, 10:41 AM
Humor and plot development.
Nobody masters this combination better than our mr. Burlew. :smallbiggrin:
Great comic, this. No doubt about it.

Marlowe
2008-06-14, 10:54 AM
"I totally could've kicked her ass if I wanted to, you know."

Man, that's the best line. ^_^ I love how it takes just a half-second to realize who's saying it.

This was staircase wit on Rich's part. The guy's original line (and I'm kicking myself I didn't have time to post while the strip was fresh) was:

"Man, you totally did not screw that one up."

I've never seen Rich change the dialog after putting a strip up before, but I'm not complaining.

puzpuz
2008-06-14, 11:22 AM
Humor and plot development.
Nobody masters this combination better than our mr. Burlew. :smallbiggrin:
Great comic, this. No doubt about it.

No, that's Monty Python group... But he's one of the bests in these criterions :smalltongue:

Kish
2008-06-14, 11:47 AM
This was staircase wit on Rich's part. The guy's original line (and I'm kicking myself I didn't have time to post while the strip was fresh) was:

"Man, you totally did not screw that one up."

I've never seen Rich change the dialog after putting a strip up before, but I'm not complaining.
Uh? You sure you aren't confusing the latest comic with 327 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0327.html)?

Red XIV
2008-06-14, 11:50 AM
That's because Elan is an idiot. Roy (and by extension, the gnome illusionist he was playing as) is not.

Kish
2008-06-14, 11:57 AM
So what? Elan is living in a D&D-like world. Roy is playing 1st Ed. The rules are different.
:smallsigh: So that is the answer to Factotum's question. Which I quoted in my response.

Siosilvar
2008-06-14, 11:59 AM
Elan's wisdom is so abysmally bad that even when he automatically fails Will saves even when he's supposed to automatically succeed.

Apparently, similar situations also occur with sports teams. (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/1951.html)

EDIT: Oh, and:
So the rules of D&D are different than the rules of D&D...

Yendor
2008-06-14, 12:24 PM
Elan didn't ask.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-06-14, 12:25 PM
That's because Elan is an idiot. Roy (and by extension, the gnome illusionist he was playing as) is not.

Hmm, only problem with this is that Roy didn't have to roll to determine whether his illusionist could see through it or not-he just flat out said that he could, implying that neither wisdom nor intelligence was a factor...

puzpuz
2008-06-14, 12:35 PM
Even though you all have very convincing and logical answers, Rich Burlew's brain is working unlike any other human's brain, which is why I have to agree with the only one who has a weird and not-logical theory - Yendor.

chiasaur11
2008-06-14, 12:48 PM
Hmm, only problem with this is that Roy didn't have to roll to determine whether his illusionist could see through it or not-he just flat out said that he could, implying that neither wisdom nor intelligence was a factor...

A true tribute to Elan's lack of intellect.

Also, it wasn't an illusion. It was the illusion's reflection.

Saint Nil
2008-06-14, 02:19 PM
Wow, I can't wait to see how the seer twists Belkars question around when he asks who he is going to kill.

Nice work Giant:smallcool:

Arkenputtyknife
2008-06-14, 04:07 PM
EDIT: Oh, and:
So the rules of D&D are different than the rules of D&D...
Yes. Original. Basic. Advanced 1st ed. 2nd ed. 3rd ed. 3.5. 4th ed. All different. All subject to the interpretation of the DM. And OotS goes by its own rules at the Giant's whim.

But I'm sure you didn't really need me to explain that.

Child Conscript
2008-06-14, 04:16 PM
I have a bad feeling that something is going to happen to the cart (and Roy's body)

Morgan Wick
2008-06-14, 05:13 PM
Re: #217 v. early #565. Rich probably ruled in the former case that Elan's Int is too low for him to disbelieve his own illusions.

Also, remember that OOTS isn't supposed to have "players" even though it has "PCs".

Document
2008-06-14, 06:07 PM

Dr Who refence? anyone the Tarurus or am i just crazy

This (http://www.google.com/search?q=blue.box+dungeons+dragons) looks like evidence that it at least has something to do with D&D; that's good enough for me.

Llelldorin
2008-06-14, 06:30 PM
Gosh, how do I ask this in a non-nerdy way...

If that's the "Crypt-keeper" cover-art Dungeon Master's Guide that Roy's archon has out, shouldn't the spine be orange?

Edea
2008-06-14, 11:19 PM
What leads you to believe he has not?

Mainly just that it hasn't been called out directly yet. Perhaps he has, I dunno.

puzpuz
2008-06-14, 11:44 PM

If that's the "Crypt-keeper" cover-art Dungeon Master's Guide that Roy's archon has out, shouldn't the spine be orange?

It's 1st edition. Or you'r saying you know how the 1st edition looks like? :smalleek:

Selene
2008-06-15, 12:55 AM

Not if it's an original. The originals didn't have the orange spine. :smallwink: Feel better now that I'm an even bigger nerd? LOL.

Yes, kids, I know what 1st edition books look like and actually own a DMG (and a bunch of the other books) with no orange spine. I'm old. :smalltongue:

Also, I'm pretty sure that my original D&D box from junior high was kind of purple. Does that make me extra old, or not quite old enough? I don't remember a blue one.

factotum
2008-06-15, 01:15 AM

Didn't they say in an earlier strip that earlier edition monsters didn't even HAVE Will saving throws?

Wait, found it:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0074.html

OK, they're referring specifically to 2nd edition monsters there, but I can't remember if 1st edition was the same...

Llelldorin
2008-06-15, 01:16 AM
Not if it's an original. The originals didn't have the orange spine. :smallwink: Feel better now that I'm an even bigger nerd? LOL.

You're right (headdesk)--that blob on the cover has to be the demon cover, not the crypt-keeper cover. Otherwise you'd be able to see the doors.

(I tend to forget about the original artwork; by the time I transitioned from Basic D&D to AD&D they were on to the new cover art.)

turkishproverb
2008-06-15, 01:25 AM
A true tribute to Elan's lack of intellect.

Also, it wasn't an illusion. It was the illusion's reflection.

sigged.

Incidentally, I'm surprised I didn't think of the discrepancy.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-06-15, 09:04 AM
[crusty old geezer]

For those asking about the Blue Box is, and what Player's Handbook/Dungeon Master's Guide Roy and Roy's Archon are using, here you go:

Blue Box (http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/setscans/basic1st.html) (This was the boxed set I started with, back when we wrote our character sheets on stretched dinosaur hide. 1980 or so.)

Player's Handbook (http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/setscans/phb8th.html) (Got this for Christmas, 1981 or 1982. We had upgraded to mastadon hide. Easier to draw on.)

Dungeon Master's Guide (http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/setscans/dmg1st.html)

I'm not sure what book is sitting beside the Dungeon Master's screen, the detail is kind of small. Looks more like the PHB than the DMG to my tired old eyes. What do you young whipper-snappers see?

[/crusty old geezer]

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle. The other half is blood and screaming and violence.

Kish
2008-06-15, 09:10 AM
Didn't they say in an earlier strip that earlier edition monsters didn't even HAVE Will saving throws?

Wait, found it:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0074.html

OK, they're referring specifically to 2nd edition monsters there, but I can't remember if 1st edition was the same...
That would be because the concepts of "Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saving throws" were introduced in 3ed. Earlier monsters, like earlier PCs, had saving throws vs. paralysis and breath weapon. And wand.

maxon
2008-06-15, 11:02 AM

OK - well, that didn't work.

For those asking about the Blue Box is, and what Player's Handbook/Dungeon Master's Guide Roy and Roy's Archon are using, here you go:

Blue Box (http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/setscans/basic1st.html) (This was the boxed set I started with, back when we wrote our character sheets on stretched dinosaur hide. 1980 or so.)

Player's Handbook (http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/setscans/phb8th.html) (Got this for Christmas, 1981 or 1982. We had upgraded to mastadon hide. Easier to draw on.)

Dungeon Master's Guide (http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/setscans/dmg1st.html)

Oh gods, I remember those.

The Sandman
2008-06-15, 12:24 PM
Well, I passed that test without even having to check the archives. :smallcool:

In other news, first Banjo, now this...

Everything old is new again in OOTS, and I LOVE it! :smallbiggrin:

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-15, 12:32 PM

They reused that same Guy-Stealing-Jeweled-Eye-From-Fat-Monster-Statue idea for 3.5's PHBII.

David Argall
2008-06-15, 02:07 PM
[crusty old geezer]

[/crusty old geezer]

Ah, that's where I got confused. I kept thinking of the white box I started play with.
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/setscans/box1st.html
Thanks youngster.

Paladin29
2008-06-15, 04:53 PM
Here in Spain we only know of the red box.. i begin to play with it when i was a kid.... sweet, old times :)

cyberchihuahua
2008-06-15, 06:38 PM
Did anyone else notice the Green spoke the truth in the last panel? :smallamused:

David Argall
2008-06-15, 08:09 PM
Possibly, but there is no reason to assume so. Entirely possible both are idiots after all.

Selene
2008-06-16, 04:38 AM
Ok, I had this basic set: http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd-box.htm

I'm pretty sure the edges were kind of fuchsia/magenta colored. I probably still have the box, but if so, it's buried way in the back of a non-navigable closet.

@Surfing HalfOrc: I agree. It looks more like the statue cover PHB to me than the DMG.

@ David and Chihuahua: They do both seem like idiots to me. LOL.