PDA

View Full Version : Whisper Gnome - Beguiler

McClintock
2008-06-13, 02:54 PM
STR:10 DEX: 17 CON: 14 INT: 17 WIS: 10 CHA: 15

I am looking for suggestions on the direction of his feats. I've never played a beguiler and am not sure what are the best feats to take. I want him to be a sneaky mcsneak-a-lot, with much in the way of control.

Thanks in advance.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-13, 03:20 PM
Hmm... sneaky mcsneakalot feat of choice is Darkstalker form Lords of Madness, but that can wait until a little bit higher in level.

I always like Spell Focus for beguilers... but that may just be me. :smallbiggrin:

SoD
2008-06-13, 03:30 PM
Take titan fighting from races of stone. +4 dodge vs. anything bigger than you? Yes please! Combine with a permancied reduce person as soon as possible...

McClintock
2008-06-13, 03:51 PM
I always like Spell Focus for beguilers... but that may just be me.

I had been thinking about spell focus. do it for both enchantment & illusion, one or the other??

Talya
2008-06-13, 04:36 PM
Illusion. With Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation, you can add a ton of spells otherwise barred from your spell list as a beguiler. But they're very will-save dependant.

Enchantments are nice, but illusion is more versatile.

UserClone
2008-06-13, 06:03 PM
A very common strategy is to take a level of Mindbender after 6 of Beguiler. This gives you a bonus to skills you use anyway, in addition to 100 ft. Telepathy, on top of advancing your spellcasting. That also allows you to Delay your Advanced Learning until you can cast 4th level spells. From there you use that to take Shadow Conjuration. This lets you meet the prereqs for Shadowcraft Mage, which is pretty much the coolest thing a Gnome can be. Even a Whisper Gnome (moreso, really).

Also, if you are in Faerun (or even if you aren't), ask your DM if he/she would allow Shadow Weave Magic. It is teh R0xxorz.

McClintock
2008-06-13, 06:08 PM
Mindbender is in comp arcane, right?

And where is Shadowcraft Mage?

Frosty
2008-06-13, 06:25 PM
Races of Stone methinks?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-06-13, 07:30 PM
Right: take spell focus: illusion and try to fill all the requirements for Mindbender and Shadowcraft Mage. Also, if you want to do some *broken* tricks, you'll require at least 13 Wis also (earth spell, iirc).

For Mindbender, some ranks in cross-class skills will be required but from my experience in playing beguiler, it had not been a major problem at all.

p.s. take Mindsight as your 6th level feat as soon as you get that telepathy from Mindbender PrC. After that, grab Ray of Stupidity as your spell from Advanced Learning. Now you know the Int score of every single opponents you meet (provided they have int) and you'll know which one to use RoS on (1d4+1 Int damage, iirc?). Very potent against Hydras and most magical beasts/animals in general.