PDA

View Full Version : I Challenge You!...

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-13, 03:25 PM
...to a battle of vocabularies! The best score I got today was a 45... now I know we've got some SAT/GRE whizzes out here who can beat that... or can you...?

Here it is: www.freerice.com

Here's the Snopes article about it: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/freerice.asp

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-13, 04:02 PM
Aw, I only got to 50 :smallfrown:

Player_Zero
2008-06-13, 04:07 PM
Cantle?! I'll cantle you in a minute! :smalltongue:

Seriously though, I have qualms with the associative definitions they used.

Speaking of words, Tacocat is palindrome.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/funny-pictures-tacocat.jpg

...I gave up after getting 'cantle' wrong. :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-13, 04:11 PM
I fight tacocats every day! Of course they're a palindrome!

reorith
2008-06-13, 04:35 PM
44. i suck.

Raiser Blade
2008-06-13, 04:49 PM
I got 42... I am teh suck

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l49/thecheat2/Ricedonation.jpg

But I did donate a bunch of rice. :smallsmile:

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-13, 05:06 PM
Haha! I... wait, your rice-donating powers exceed my own? Never! I must return to the webpage! Curse this infernally slow internet connection!

EDIT: Over 2200 grains of race later, and I still can't get past 48. Mauve Shirt, I am impressed!

Fostire
2008-06-13, 08:17 PM
Just open some online dictonary on another window.
Its not cheating if youre donating...right?

Moff Chumley
2008-06-13, 08:40 PM
Just open some online dictonary on another window.
Its not cheating if youre donating...right?

Yes. Yes it is. (Chumley is mad because he got a 42. :smallyuk: )

EvilElitest
2008-06-13, 08:48 PM
54, i win
from
EE

Raiser Blade
2008-06-14, 02:06 AM
54, i win
from
EE

Screenshot or it didn't happen. :smalltongue:

Srsly.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-14, 06:34 AM
I'll take EE at his word (I know Ra1ser was just kidding!). But I would like to know how long it took him to get to 54!

Incidentally, this (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grains_of_rice_are_in_one_cup) person estimated there to be 7200 grains of rice in a cup. So it's a lot faster to donate a cup of rice by going to www.thehungersite.com , though you can only do that once a day and there's no fun word game.

There is also www.porloschicos.com and www.hungerfighters.com .

SurlySeraph
2008-06-14, 06:28 PM
Best I've ever gotten on that site was 55. Today I'm tired and couldn't get above 43. *grumbles*

BisectedBrioche
2008-06-14, 07:28 PM
I got to 2000 grains with a level of 36 and a best level of 36 before I gave up.

Collin152
2008-06-14, 07:32 PM
Mmmm, Pride-Rice....

tyckspoon
2008-06-15, 12:16 AM
Currently best is 49, holding around 45/46. Facetious keeps throwing me; I think of it as a more negative word.

I must say, although I find the merely archaic English words are fair enough (because I read a lot of fantasy that likes to try and sound pseudo-medieval..) the random completely foreign language words are cheating.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-15, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I think next time I find one of those foreign words I'll type it into dictionary.com and see if it's actually acknowledged as a word used in the English language.

Omicroncubed
2008-06-15, 09:55 AM
I don't know if anybody's gonna belive me after seeing this, but I'm telling you, I did what it sais.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/Lambdaomega/Ricebowlthing.jpg

Yes, 30 was my best until I started getting bored and anwsering wrongs. I no good on english :smallfrown:

EvilElitest
2008-06-15, 02:59 PM
I'll take EE at his word (I know Ra1ser was just kidding!). But I would like to know how long it took him to get to 54!

Incidentally, this (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grains_of_rice_are_in_one_cup) person estimated there to be 7200 grains of rice in a cup. So it's a lot faster to donate a cup of rice by going to www.thehungersite.com , though you can only do that once a day and there's no fun word game.

There is also www.porloschicos.com and www.hungerfighters.com .

it took me about 35 mins, through i took ten min breaks to work on homework. My mother is an English teacher however, so i might have an unfair advantage
from
EE

tyckspoon
2008-06-15, 05:58 PM
it took me about 35 mins, through i took ten min breaks to work on homework. My mother is an English teacher however, so i might have an unfair advantage
from
EE

My mother's a foreign language teacher. I personally read a broad selection of books and have amateur interests in history and etymology (which is why I know the archaic castle-architecture related words, for example). I'm generally familiar with the common Greek and Latinate root elements. I've never had any trouble with any sort of English vocabulary. There are *still* words in that game that I would swear they completely made up just to try and trip people with otherwise excellent vocabularies.

EvilElitest
2008-06-15, 06:27 PM
i don't know what to say......i'm amazing?
It wasn't easy, but i did get through

some of them were really really obscure i know, i got most of them because i have a tendency to recall times when words are used and heared them once or twice.
From
EE

Collin152
2008-06-15, 06:28 PM
My mother's a foreign language teacher. I personally read a broad selection of books and have amateur interests in history and etymology (which is why I know the archaic castle-architecture related words, for example). I'm generally familiar with the common Greek and Latinate root elements. I've never had any trouble with any sort of English vocabulary. There are *still* words in that game that I would swear they completely made up just to try and trip people with otherwise excellent vocabularies.

Like what?
I try to expand my vocabulary with words nobody else knows, like amaranth.

poleboy
2008-06-16, 01:49 AM
I got to 38 before I stopped. I seems that you will get higher eventually if you keep at it, since wrong answers pop up again a little while later so you can get them right. Nice little exercise, but I found it pretty hard. Most of these words will only be known by people who regularly read eloquent books in English.

Zar Peter
2008-06-16, 02:48 AM
I got to 38 before I stopped. I seems that you will get higher eventually if you keep at it, since wrong answers pop up again a little while later so you can get them right. Nice little exercise, but I found it pretty hard. Most of these words will only be known by people who regularly read eloquent books in English.

Or are native english speakers :smallbiggrin:

My best was 24 in 15 minutes or so, but than I got down to 18 and didn't get up again. But 1500 rice is a bit.

Solo
2008-06-16, 02:50 AM
...to a battle of vocabularies! The best score I got today was a 45... now I know we've got some SAT/GRE whizzes out here who can beat that... or can you...?

Here it is: www.freerice.com

Here's the Snopes article about it: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/freerice.asp

You can't prove I didn't score OVER NINE THOUSAND!