PDA

View Full Version : we love the halfling

DareTheRogue
2008-06-13, 03:43 PM
This is a 3.5 question

We are bringing in 2 new characters, one a dwarven wizard who is all worked out except a backstory. The other is just a vague idea, the basis of the character is a halfling cleric of Dallah Thaun, from RotW. The character will be taking the luck and trickery domains. What feats would be appropriate and if any PrCs would be good?

Chronos
2008-06-13, 04:55 PM
My first piece of advice would be to use the Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) variant from Unearthed Arcana. You lose a little of your combat capability, but in return you get six skill points, access to the Knowledge domain for free (for a total of three domains, instead of two), and a couple of other benefits. The extra skill points are especially nice with the Trickery domain, which adds skills to your class list.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-06-14, 04:18 PM
That depends on what you want to do with your cleric.

Do you want to be a melee monster? DMM Persist is the way to go. Even a Halfer gets to be Medium size all day with Divine Power and Righteous Might persisted.

Do you want a buff and heal master? Grab some metamagic. Try DMM Chain Spell, and combo it wth Reach Spell. Chain Reach lets you cast Heal on the whole party. Also lets you cast GMW and Magic Vestments on the whole party, which gains in usefulness as you progress in levels.

If you're wanting to be a skillmonkey cleric, see above post. Maybe dip one level of Rogue for Trapfinding. Two levels if you want Evasion.

DareTheRogue
2008-06-15, 12:01 AM
Could you describe those 2 builds please, cause my knowledge on clerics and builds is rather limited, as in I don't play divine...

AslanCross
2008-06-15, 12:17 AM
Divine Metamagic is a feat that allows you to burn uses of your Turn/Rebuke Undead ability to spontaneously apply a metamagic feat to a spell you cast without raising its spell slot level. The cheesy way is to use it with Persist Spell, causing your buffs to last for 24 hours. This negates the need for pre-fight buffing. Just cast your buffs for the day and you're all set.

As for the spells, you have access to the whole spell list anyway.

DareTheRogue
2008-06-15, 12:38 AM
So here is what the feat selection looks like I guess:
1 Reach Spell
3 Augment Healing
6 Chain Spell
9 Divine Metamagic
12 ________

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-15, 02:20 AM
(I'll appoogise in advance in case I get confused about how this works)
To Persist Divine Power, you would need some other feats. Unless you're starting st high levels where you'll have enough money for Cha bosting items, or your starting Cha is 18, you'll probably need Extra Turning to get enough Turn attempts. Also, you won't be able to take Persist Spell without Extend Spell, meaning that you'll need at least 3 feats (if you don't take Extra Turning, which is probably a better choice then items due to how they could get stolen or broken). Also, there is a chance the DM wouldn't allow this due to it being regarded as really cheesy.

In regards to Trapfinding, thr Kobold Domain grants that along with Search and Disable Device as class skills ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a ). I was thinking about making a Kobold* CC with the Trickery and Kobold Domains while taking the Apprentice feat to get Open Lock and Move Silently as class skills (this probably wouldn't work for you, unless you could get the DM to let you make a new Domain which gives Trapfinding). Takin 1 Rogue evel would probably be a bad idea due to the Exp. penalty, but that sourt of build would get all the skills you'd need to handle traps and stealth. Alternatively, if you wanted to play a CC and you wanted to heal without putting yourself on the frontlines (whick you won't really be able to do without DP and DMM), page 32 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf mentioned Improved Domains (you would need the Healing Domain to heal people at range, though).

*My Kobold variant has -2 Str and Con, +2 Dex and Cha, 40 feet movement, Darkvision 60' and +2 to all Seach, Mining and trapmaking checks: I felt as though the standard Kobold is way too weak.

DareTheRogue
2008-06-15, 09:42 AM
No she is not taking the Healing Domain...
the level 12 feat is going to be Extra Turning though, just so she can do the ranged healing more often.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-15, 09:49 AM
Did you think the other bits of advice were useful? Also, will you use a CC or normal Cleric?

DareTheRogue
2008-06-15, 11:55 AM
Well the question was raised, can a DMM Persist cleric Polymorph Any Object herself into almost anything for 24 hours, and keep the spellcasting abilities of a cleric her level? Cause if so then DMM Persist is the way she will be going if not then probably DMM Chain.

DareTheRogue
2008-06-15, 11:56 AM
Oh and everything has been useful, but she is not going CC Cleric, normal is fitting for the purposes.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-15, 01:12 PM
You would probably be able to do that if you had 12 daily Turning attempts, but the DM would probably not allow you to do it due to how overpowered it would be. (Is the DM even likely to allow DMM in the first place?)

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-06-15, 01:55 PM
A few minor corrections:

1) Divine Metamagic as to be purchased *PER Metamagic FEAT* you wish to apply it to. So you have to get Divine Metamagic: Chain Spell, or Divine Metamagic: Reach Spell. It won't work with both.

However, there is a feat, I forgot which suppliment it's in, but it can let you set blow a turn attempt to set up a link with a particular character, to be able to heal him at range whenever you like. Also, at much later levels, you may wish to consider Heirophant, which has the Divine Reach ability you can pick up. This lets you basically use Reach Spell for free at will. However, you won't get access to it until like 15th level or something silly like that.

2) A lot of the buffs you're wanting to drop on your party already have a range greater than Touch, and so can be Chained. Perfect example would be Greater Magic Weapon. At level 12, that gives everyone a +3 Enhancement bonus. So everyone can pick up +1 weapons of xyz, then you drop Chain GMW on the party, and now they're +3 weapons of xyz. Depending on how heavily enchanted they are, this can save you literally millions of Gold.

DareTheRogue
2008-06-15, 10:49 PM
She understands the DMM and is only taking it for Chain. She is prepared to prepare her spells with the reach spell MM.

On the other hand the idea of becoming anything for 24 hours is appealing to her and she might just do it instead.