PDA

View Full Version : Shin Megami Tensei 4E: I Hope You Don't Mind Being A Demon, Human.

Leliel
2008-06-13, 05:59 PM
As the title suggests, an idea of mine is to host a campaign where the players discover the "worlds and monsters" cosmology is a part of the Makai universe in the SMT games. That would not influence their actions at all, except due to the influence of a certain BBEG, the entire cosmology is turned into a primal Vortex World, which allows demons (actually a term for any kind of supernatural outsider in SMT) to cross over into it willy-nilly with the intention of remaking the new Vortex in the image of a Reason, or "philosophy" for those of you who don't play SMT. After a strange man named Ian Blisse (I decided not to use Louis Cipher, in that his scheme has come to fruition already) turns the PCs into demons themselves, the newly minted yokai have to find their way in this strange new dimension, get their own Reason to hopefully remake it by, and avoiding the wrath of YWVH, who is not a nice deity in SMT.

So, how do I go about this in 4E? How do I resolve the conflict that will inevitably result when the PCs follow different Reasons? How do I prevent the players from fainting in joy when they discover they get to kill gods on a fairly regular basis?

tyckspoon
2008-06-13, 11:00 PM
It's not the advice you want to hear, but you would probably have a much easier time doing that sort of thing in a different system. BESM or one of the Storyteller games would be my best suggestions; Exalted is the closest to your idea in base concept and mechanics, I think, and would need the least homebrew work. BESM's just generally handy as a universal system for stuff on the more unreal side of things.

Corolinth
2008-06-14, 12:03 AM
I'd be inclined to suggest Scion over Exalted. Shin Megami Tensei is generally set in modern times.

XAnansiX
2008-06-14, 12:27 PM
Damn now i want to go back and play some of those games :p

Yeah 4e wouldn't be the best system for this... You might be able to pull it off with some HEAVY rule/power changes ect but a lot of work.

Leliel
2008-06-14, 02:04 PM
That's ok. It's just that 4E is the only system I have.

Learnedguy
2008-06-15, 08:21 AM
That's ok. It's just that 4E is the only system I have.

Well then you got a bit of trouble I think. But here's a few tips I suppose. Check out the "Persona"-series. If I remember correctly, they're spin offs from Shin Megami Tensei. I think you'll find some nice ideas in there.

Now, your biggest problem is probably weapons and equipment I think. It doesn't make much sense to run around in heavy armor in a modern setting. So if possible, check out D20 modern for weapon statistics. And if you can't do that, then you'll have to homebrew I fear. Although as you step up the game I suppose the PC's could start finding heavenly swords and demonic spears and stuff like that I suppose.

Now, starting level for the PC's could vary quite a bit. I honestly dunno what level I'd put them to start in, and maybe it would be easier to just start from level 1 (for you and the PC). Another reasonable starting level is level 10-11 I suppose.

Here's a funny thing though. The powers really don't need to change that much, as they honestly are quite basic. Sure, you might want to rename some, but all in all, I think they're a fair game. Especially classes like the Paladin, the Warlock and the Cleric, who rely on supernatural resources (or something along those lines at least) will mesh in quite nicely.

Also, might want to consider brewing your own set of feats that basically lets the characters explore their eh, demonic heritage. For instance you could convert a ritual into a daily utility power feat (try saying that fast and out loud).

And oh yeah, note that I've never actually played a Shin Megami Tensei game, I'm just familiar with the setting:smalltongue: