PDA

View Full Version : [4E Homebrew Power Source Project] Runic

Gralamin
2008-06-13, 07:39 PM
I've started working on a runic power source, that contains four classes (one for each role).
I however have been unable to think of an effective way to show it on these forums, so If you wish to know more, go Here (http://glen.nelson.1.googlepages.com/home).
If you just want to download it, go Here (http://glen.nelson.1.googlepages.com/RunicPowerSourceBeta05.pdf)

What is the runic power source?

The runic power source utilizes runes as its source of power. The runes used come in many flavors, but the most common are the following:

* Air Runes - Allow Buffing and Transformation
* Earth Runes - Give the ability to control the battlefield, and enhance weapons and armor.
* Fire Runes - Give Power over fire and damage.
* Water Runes - Allow Healing and summoning.

Each classes uses some or all of these runes. Currently, Runeknights only use Earth, while Runelords use Water and Air. Runemagus tends to use Fire and Earth, and Runeblade tends to use Air and Fire.

Currently Runeblade is in development by a friend, so only Runeknight, Runelord, and Runemagus are open to suggestions.

Where can I get these classes?

While still in production, you can download it below.
Download Link: Download (http://glen.nelson.1.googlepages.com/RunicPowerSourceBeta05.pdf)

I have some cool ideas, how can I contact you?

Great! Please keep in mind that I am only looking for Flavor Text, Names, Powers, and balancing. If you want to reach me, send it to glen.nelson.1 'at' gmail.com (no email spam, but obviously replace the " 'at' " with "@"), with "Runic: " In the suffix.
In addition, you can simply post here.

What do I get for contributing?

Since I'm not planning on selling this, all you will receive is mention on a credits page that I will start to distribute when I start having people contribute.

Updates will be hosted on googlepages (http://glen.nelson.1.googlepages.com/home)

edit: Beta02 uploaded.
Edit: Beta05 Uploaded

Moff Chumley
2008-06-13, 08:58 PM
[cough, runescape sucks, cough]

Sorry, no intelligent critique. However, it looks good, and I shall add it to my list of good 4e homebrew.

Gralamin
2008-06-13, 10:00 PM
[cough, runescape sucks, cough]

Sorry, no intelligent critique. However, it looks good, and I shall add it to my list of good 4e homebrew.

None if it is supposed to be based on Runescape, though my co-designer may of been influenced by it.

Shades of Gray
2008-06-13, 10:49 PM
Seems cool. I'm good at naming powers so if you need to come up with powers, just PM me.

For example, the Runeknight's at will powers:

Rune of Fissure
Hamstring Rune
Exploiting Strike
Runeknight's Slam

Gralamin
2008-06-15, 02:00 AM
Thanks. I may use some of those. An update is planned for Thursday, for those interested.

Shades of Gray
2008-06-16, 10:34 PM
For <RMAW1>, you should specify fire damage.

for <RMAW2>, you should specify that the wall is indestructible and/or movement blocking.

for <RMAW3> you should say "The target gains ongoing lightning damage equal to ____" instead of what's written. It sounds nicer and less confusing that way.

<RMAW4> is fine. But why would you specify that it is attackable, yet indestructible.

Might I suggest

Burning Rune
Rising Stalagmite
Rune of Lightning Wrath
Column of Rending Earth

Burning Rune:
A rune sears the flesh of your foe, and flames leap from the creature onto other enemies.

Rising Stalagmite:
A rune on the ground shoots up from the ground, along with a column of earth.

Rune of Lightning Wrath:
A jagged rune appears above your foe, as electricity runs through their body.

Column of Rending Earth
A column rising from the earth, nearby enemies are pounded with the stone that shoots out from the ground.

Gralamin
2008-06-19, 11:37 PM
First and foremost, exams have pushed this back a few days. Expect progress soon however!

For <RMAW1>, you should specify fire damage.
Oops, thanks.

for <RMAW2>, you should specify that the wall is indestructible and/or movement blocking.
I knew I had forgotten something, also I forgot to mention it was force damage.

for <RMAW3> you should say "The target gains ongoing lightning damage equal to ____" instead of what's written. It sounds nicer and less confusing that way.
Yeah, I switched to that in later powers but forgot to go back and change it.

<RMAW4> is fine. But why would you specify that it is attackable, yet indestructible.
I forgot to put in its stats wow I feel stupid >.<

Might I suggest

Burning Rune
Rising Stalagmite
Rune of Lightning Wrath
Column of Rending Earth

Burning Rune:
A rune sears the flesh of your foe, and flames leap from the creature onto other enemies.

Rising Stalagmite:
A rune on the ground shoots up from the ground, along with a column of earth.

Rune of Lightning Wrath:
A jagged rune appears above your foe, as electricity runs through their body.

Column of Rending Earth
A column rising from the earth, nearby enemies are pounded with the stone that shoots out from the ground.

I like all of this, thanks for your help and keep it coming!

Gralamin
2008-06-25, 06:01 PM
Took a bit longer then expected, but here is a Runic Power source update! (http://glen.nelson.1.googlepages.com/RunicPowerSourceBeta02.pdf)
Changes include: Fixed a few errors, Runeknight almost completed, Feats added. Credits page added.

Shades of Gray
2008-07-01, 09:17 AM
RME1-1 or Wall of Buffeting Wind
Fluff
Wind swirls in an area, whipping up dust and other small unnatended objects.
If the wall misses it's attack roll, then the creature should be able to walk through it. Maybe consider making it Sustain Minor

RME1-2 or, Rune of Cold
Fluff
Four Square Runes appear in the area. Lines of blue light shoot from them as they swirl up and down. A freezing cloud covers the area.
Change "Target gains" to "Targets hit gain"

Change "If the target saves against this" to "If the attack misses" because as it's written, if the enemy succeeds their save to end this, it gets weaker ongoing cold damage. I don't know if that's what you were going for or not.

RME1-3 or, Rune of Black Venom
Fluff
A Dark Green rune appears, similar to a snake. The Snake rune slithers through the air, and then a hissing noise is heard. Black venom seeps up from the floor, grabbing at everyone's legs/
Looks fine.

RME1-4 or, Rune of Collision
Fluff
Two Rune appear on the target's forheads, their eyes go white and they lose control of their limbs as they collide with a painful thud.
Looks Fine, it's funny.

Gralamin
2008-07-02, 10:53 PM
RME1-1 or Wall of Buffeting Wind
Fluff
Wind swirls in an area, whipping up dust and other small unnatended objects.
If the wall misses it's attack roll, then the creature should be able to walk through it. Maybe consider making it Sustain Minor
It is a conjuration that occupies squares that neither you or your enemies may move through. As it only as an effect once, and after words is just a barrier I see no reason to require a sustain action.

RME1-2 or, Rune of Cold
Fluff
Four Square Runes appear in the area. Lines of blue light shoot from them as they swirl up and down. A freezing cloud covers the area.
Change "Target gains" to "Targets hit gain"
All ready under the hit section, thus it does not require this.

Change "If the target saves against this" to "If the attack misses" because as it's written, if the enemy succeeds their save to end this, it gets weaker ongoing cold damage. I don't know if that's what you were going for or not.
The weaker cold damage is an after effect, not a miss effect.

RME1-3 or, Rune of Black Venom
Fluff
A Dark Green rune appears, similar to a snake. The Snake rune slithers through the air, and then a hissing noise is heard. Black venom seeps up from the floor, grabbing at everyone's legs/
Looks fine.

RME1-4 or, Rune of Collision
Fluff
Two Rune appear on the target's forheads, their eyes go white and they lose control of their limbs as they collide with a painful thud.
Looks Fine, it's funny.

Thanks for the fluff and names. I'll be getting another update up soon, containing a large amount of Runemagus powers, as well as magic implements.

Gralamin
2008-07-25, 04:04 PM
Between Vacations and the site being down (and me being lazy), updating has been slow, but a new version has been uploaded.

Shades of Gray
2008-07-26, 10:28 AM
Okay, time for the Runelord at-wills.

1: Swiften Spirit.
After energy strikes a foe your allies feel lighter
2: Cleansing Bolt
Lightning Wracks your foe, filling your allies with new spirit
3: Sonic Strike
A loud boom is heard and your foes get blasted away.
4: Nice name.
Drawing on your life energy an ally gains a shimmering barrier, and foes wish they had.

Now for the crunch.

1: This is good, the only broken thing I see is the combo with Bloody Path, a Rogue Power.

2: Change "heals 1", to "heals 1 point of HP"

3: A bit powerful, but I like it!

4: Good again.