PDA

View Full Version : The Giants' Crown (Prime) Ch1 - The Fateful Voyage

Mantid
2008-06-14, 09:59 AM
The ship seems unusually quiet, her crew deserted or sullen, her captain no more. His body had been removed by the city guard, his presence now found only in the specters of memory and the blood and sweat he left in the boards and planks.

The fog that has settled over the docks forms white walls in the moonlight, adding to the feelings of loss and foreboding that seem to radiate from the ship. Only the occasional bell or shout pierce through the night to break the heavy air that has settled over the ship.

But, regardless of how much the ship may mourn or how deeply the night and fog may try to hide her during the night, the vessel will set sail in the morning as soon as the passengers arrive. The shimmering seal of one Es'teli'on on the contract was enough to ensure that. Six passengers to be taken on a journey along Xen'Drik's coast, then up a river to the believed location of one of the many ruins of the once powerful giants, and finally returned to Stormreach.

With the journey ahead, it will be more than enough time for the captain's murderer to cover his tracks and escape. If clues were to be found, there were only a few hours to find them. There were no clear suspects, however; if Captain Agarish had any particular enemies, he had never mentioned them over the years.

Yet, if the Captain's murder and the figures that seemed to have trailed the members of the crew lately were related to this upcoming voyage, then protecting the ship and her crew might be the wisest use o the night.

The harbor bells ring out, signaling a change in the watch. The night has just begun.

Recruitment Prologue:
Xen'drik, the home of the once powerful giants, a land riddled with ruins, mysteries, and danger. But also the promise of adventure and profit. You have made a living daring the coastlines of this forbidding land, carrying passengers and supplies to small camps and points of exploration along its coast or moving passengers and cargo between Stormreach and Sharn or, occasionally, Pylas Talaer. The loss of lives in the dangerous seas surrounding Xen'drik are not uncommon, but the most recent death has been sudden and tragic. Your captain has been murdered.

You recently put into Stormreach after a successful voyage from the eastern coast of the continent. You had leave in the city for a few days as the ship restocked and Captain Agarish arranged for your next voyage. The scuttlebutt was that the Captain had made a deal with a group of Valenar elves seeking passage to some ruins up a river off the coast of Xen'drik's western front. Soon after these rumors started, so did the trouble.

Cloaked figures began to appear, apparently watching you and your crewmates. Ghostly apparition began to linger in the corners of vision only to vanish, never revealing if what you saw was truly there or merely your imagination. The word began to circulate that your ship had taken on a curse and was doomed on her next voyage. Crewmates were deserting, signing on with other ships, moral was low; then the Captain was found dead.

He was discovered in his cabin, his door barred from the inside, stabbed through the chest with a finely crafted scimitar. No boards were loose, no windows broken. Whomever killed the half-orc had left no evidence of who he was or how he had entered the cabin and no clues other then the single blade. Divination and resurrection magic seemed to fail. The Captain would not return or share the secrets of his death.

What was discovered, however, was two contracts, one binding the ship to the voyage with the elves and the other leaving the ship and its final duties to a small group of his crew, you and a few others. Despite the captain's death, the elves have insisted that they depart on their voyage on the date agreed in the contract. The contract itself was witnessed and approved by the dock master and a powerful patron of the city, Es'teli'on, an elf mage and member of the Twelve. Even if the Captain's mysterious death wasn't worth the time of Stormreach's militia to investigate, a breach of that contact would have severe consequences. As the new owner and captain of the ship, you have little choice but to take on the voyage.

It is the night before you set sail. Who are these elves and what are they after? Has their goal truly cursed the ship? Who murdered the Captain and has watched you throughout the city? Will you survive long enough to find the answers?

Hyozo
2008-06-14, 08:46 PM
Dan

Dan appears to be in a natural Changeling form. His vestments look like funeral garb instead of their usual colorful and practical form. Hearing the bell, he looks toward Stormreach before turning back to face the rest of the crew. "Who'se watching the ship tonight? Strongarm? Tonight is the city's last chance to steal what it hasn't taken from us already. That would pretty much just be the ship, right? Is everything set for tommorrows departure?" Dan turns to face the city again, his face distorting in a mix of anger and sadness.

kpenguin
2008-06-16, 02:03 AM
Strongarm

The face of a warforged is expressionless, displaying neither joy nor sadness. However, any who knew the manners of this particular warforged would notice that he was acting very strangely. He clenches and unclencheshis great fists and shifts his weight uncomfortably. Though none would know it, for this was the first time he displayed such a feeling, this was Strongarm in anger.

At Dan's suggestion, Strongarm makes a curt odd. His voice booms oddly. Though the warforged was always the loud sort, a small bit of passion filled his words.

INDEED. I SHALL TAKE WATCH.

The day, spent only mourning Agarish, had not spent any of his infusion, thus making rest unnecessary. Strongarm was the logical choice.

In addition, watching the ship would give Strongarm the first notice if Agarish's murderers returned. Strongarm relished to chance to avenge his captain.

Vazzaroth
2008-06-16, 02:30 AM
Lanzo ir' Cyrell

Lanzo bears a solemn expression. The feeling he had was alot like the one he felt when he discovered that elf had tricked him, and he had spent years making the journey to Sharn. But, like that time, he resolved to make the best of things and continue on.

Good man, Strongarm.
Lanzo claps the large construct on the shoulder, or at least part of the shoulder, and walks by. He leans on the side of the ship and looks out over the water, turning his grey hat over in his hands.

WillWolf
2008-06-17, 01:27 AM
Cooky:

She was crying, not loud tears, but tears and this would, must, be disconcerting. Cooky never cried. Cooky yelled at people, objects, animals, and the air itself. The only thing harder than her heart was her head, but Cooky was crying. Soft gentle tears rolled down her fur-ish face and onto her one good dress (that again looked incredibly awkward on her) that she had worn less times than she would care to remember. It was a dark black. The man had been like a father for her at times, and a best friend at other times. She was not alone in that statement, and could not bare herself to speak at all, but just let the tears roll down.

She walked carefully away, nodding, careful not to let the others see her moment of weakness and then downstairs to start preparing supper. The crew had to eat.

The door slammed shut louder than usual, and that again, was saying something.

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-06-17, 11:14 AM
Jhaida, who had joined the crew gathering belatedly, looks terrible. She has dark rings under her eyes, and her face is stained by tears ... tears of sorrow, and tears of fury. Her usually sea-green eyes are of a dreary grey, like the sea shortly before the dawn of a bleak day. Her movements are slow, her posture sagging. Apparently she has spent the whole time in Captain Agarish's cabin, working without a moment's rest, ever since the guards and the priests had left the ship.

What exactly the spirit shaman has been doing there is a mystery, as she has thrown out everyone who interrupted her work. But apparently she was searching for any clues as to how the captain has been murdered ... though you strongly doubt she handles it the way an inquisitive would. But whatever it is, it seems to have driven her to the brink of exhaustion.

Nevertheless, she turns back toward the captain's cabin as soon as the gathering is over, wearily walking towards the door.

@ Mantid:

Jhaida has been trying to find spiritual clues to what had happened when Agarish was murdered. As the cabin probably already has been scoured with clerical and maybe even wizardly magic, yet another Detect Magic is probably unlikely to reveal anything useful ... so she's concentrating on finding and contacting any spirits that may have witnessed the deed. (Though, after what you told us about the "successes" of the priests, I strongly doubt she'll find any, correct?)

As for Agarish's spirit - did he just not reveal anything, or where the priests even unable to reach him? So far I am assuming the latter - and that worries Jhaida very much. She's already got a theory on what's behind that, though ... which will be probably brought to light later on. And be completely wrong, I bet. :smallwink:

Last, but not least: Does the ship have a klabautermann? Not sure whether they are a mainly German and Dutch phenomenon or widely known, but if you're unfamiliar with them, here are two helpful links:

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold#Water_spirits)

And a Savage Tide-related discussion of maritime superstitions. (Includes an attempt to "stat-ify" them as a fey.) (http://paizo.com/dungeon/messageboards/savageTide/archives/maritimeSuperstitionsAndCustoms)

Jhaida would certainly attempt to contact him to see whether he witnessed anything, that's why I ask. (And be it only for the sake of completeness.)

Mantid
2008-06-17, 06:07 PM
Minstrel Wyrm

(I actually am aware of klabautermann! Can't say I thought of someone trying to contact one though! :smallamused:)

The spirit is reluctant to come out. She seems as shaken as anyone else by recent events, although if it is because of the loss of the captain or merely because she senses the feelings of her crew isn't clear. You also get the impression that the Klab and your spirit guide have not been the only spirits on the ship lately.

Unfortunately, the Klab didn't witness the murder, but under her guidance you are guided toward some clues that were missed by the militia.

(Search check - 21, inc bonus from the Klab's help) - You are directed toward the side of the captain's small cabin, were you find a fresh bloodstain, the captain's most likely. However it is isolated and alone, on the other side of cabin from where the captain's body lay.

You are also directed to searching through the captain's notes and papers he has scattered on his table. Among the maps and old contracts you find a few papers that were written, apparently recently, on fresh paper unblemished by the salt of the sea.

There are notes on Du'Rashka Tul, a giant term meaning "the madness of crowds", a supposed curse on Xen'Drik some believe leads large civilizations to be gripped by a homicidal madness causes them to seek out and kill anything they encounter until, at last, they themselves are destroyed.

A couple of these papers cover rumors and news from another small city on Xen'Drik called Dar Qat in which some well guarded artifact was recently stolen.

A few discuss legends of an ancient battle between the Giants and invaders from another plane.

One note, however, stands out for its lack of connection to Xen'Drik. It is page crowded with notes about the contentment of Aerenal and the Undying Court the elves of the contentment worship. Unfortunately the cramped writing and smeared letters make it hard to make out most of what the pages saids. Apparently the Captain wrote it in a hurry and didn't have time to fetch more paper or to let the ink dry.

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-06-19, 06:52 PM
@ Mantid:

I actually am aware of klabautermann!

You are? Great! Sounds like they are more widely known than I thought - or would you classify that as "a bit of obscure lore" you've picked up? (Personally, I love doing that ... :smallwink:)

Can't say I thought of someone trying to contact one though! :smallamused:

Heh, after all, I'm the ship's "crew-spirit relations expert". (Ahem. Don't speak Bocce, though. Only Aquan.) And therefore probably responsible for the ship's most important resident spirit - the klabautermann. Aye? :smalltongue:

The spirit is reluctant to come out. She seems as shaken as anyone else [...]

We have one? And a female one at that? Now that's seriously cool!

(As a quick aside: That's an idea I don't think I've encountered ever before. Probably because to us Germans, the word "klabautermann" simply looks male, due to the ending. One could probably construct "klabauterfrau" as a female term, but it would probably be easier to use "klabauter" for both.)

Heh, see what you've done? Completely fascinated me by shedding an unexpected light on an all-too-familar concept! :smallwink:

Anyway: A female klabauter? Wonderful! I love it!

And she could even help me out ... I have to ask Cooky to make a strong grog and put it out for her. The little one absolutely deserves that! (And probably could use it right now, too ...)

Do you mind if I make use of the information about what we found a bit later? I had assumed in my post that Jhaida intended to look for the klabauter, but hasn't gotten around to it yet. (Just was to unclear about that in my spoiler, sorry!)

I just wanted to wait for the next posts of the others, and then track down our klabauter - probably bursting with new determination out of the cabin when she thought of the klabauter, starting to search the whole ship for her. :smallwink:

kpenguin
2008-06-20, 12:38 AM
Strongarm

The warforged artificer notices as the spirit shaman comes out of the captain's cabin. Strongarm doesn't pretend to understand what Jhaida does or how she does it and does not pry into the matters of the incomprehensible spirit world. Now, however, Strongarm is compelled to reach out to anything that will help him avenge his captain and friend. Jhaida had spent the entire day in the cabin and Strongarm wants answers.

He immediately walks to Jhaida and turns her around abruptly. The warforged was not in the mood to entertain the manners of breathers.

DO YOU HAVE INFORMATION ON THE CAPTAIN'S DEATH?

Warforged faces do not twist to show expressions. However, the power in his voice and the bright glow of his eyes communicate an intensity seldom seen in Strongarm.

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-06-20, 07:33 PM
Jhaida's eyes instantly turn midnight blue as a storm-lashed sea at night when the warforged's hand forces her around.

"Unhand me at once, tin man!" she hisses, yanking her shoulder away from under Strongarm's hand. "Had I found out anything solid, do not assume that I would hold it back!"

Lowering her voice so only the hulking artificer could understand her next words, she adds: "Neither do assume that I would blurt it out in front of the whole bloody crew! My head's not made of driftwood!"

With that, she brusquely turns away and stalks off towards the gathered crew.

Slowly, an eyestalk emerges from under a knobbed seashell. You sure that was--

What?!

Oh, nothin', nothin', the small, gruff voice hurries to assure. Am just a humble hermit crab, what would I know. The eyestalk retracts under the conch shell.

Good.

... and it's your shell he could easily crush with one claw, not mine, anyway.

Hyozo
2008-06-20, 09:22 PM
Dan

Hearing the conflict, Dan turns to face Strongarm and Jhadia. "Strongarm, Jhadia, I know that you are both upset by the captain's death, so am I, but please do not take it out on each other. We've taken so many blows to our morale already without fighting one another." he requests, trying to remain calm. He continues facing the two, hoping that Jhadia was going to say she had found something.

kpenguin
2008-06-21, 02:32 AM
Strongarm

Strongarm grumbles something about breathers and stalks to the edge of the ship. He stands alert, watching the city for hope of some sort of threat on which to release this unwelcome feeling, this anger.

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-06-21, 04:08 AM
"That--!" Jhaida pauses, takes a slow breath. The dreary grey bleeds back into her eyes. "... aye."

Gathering herself, she looks up again. "But it's true that I haven't found anything yet." Her hands momentarily clench into fists, then relax again. Jhaida sighs. Her gaze wanders to her fellow ship owners. "Should that change, I'll let you know."

Just in case the spoilerified discussion with Mantid made you guys suspicious or something (:smallamused:): She has indeed found nothing. ... Yet! :smallwink:

Mantid
2008-06-24, 03:58 AM
A bell rings out through the fog. The night continues on.

(OOC: Just pushing time forward. Don't want to get slowed down too much before the ship even sets sail! :smallbiggrin:)

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-06-24, 12:24 PM
The slam of a door answers the bell. Jhaida has left the captain's cabin in a hurry, new determination in her eyes. Putting forth her hand towards Strongarm, her forefinger raised, she calls out: "Nothing yet, but that may be about to change!"

With that, she starts to slowly walk over the whole deck, apparently searching for something. Or someone?

All the while, she's softly singing in a flowing, subtle language that, despite its beauty, sounds strange to mortal ears. Almost primordial ... as if it had been old already when the first elven voices were heard in the forests of Eberron.

However, Jhaida's search of the upper deck seems to stay fruitless, and so she directs her steps towards the nearest way into the ship's belly, disappearing from sight.

When the third bell rings out, Jhaida returns from the lower decks, walking towards the captain's cabin again. She has stopped singing, and once again raises her hand towards Strongarm. "Not yet. And no one is to enter unannouncedly before we come out again - if it's important, knock!"

Having spoken these words, she opens the cabin door, but waits for a moment before entering the cabin. As if she were letting someone in first ...

A few moments later, she pokes her head out again. "Strongarm? Do you know where the murder weapon is now? Could be helpful as well!"

Thanks for the push, Mantid! :smallbiggrin:

Have tried to move things forward myself, hopefully without taking it too far. It's more or less two posts in one, so definitely feel free to interrupt, folks! :smallwink:

kpenguin
2008-06-24, 06:15 PM
Strongarm

Strongarm's voice is tinged with anger and disgust.

The same Stormreach Garrison that refused to investigate Agarish's murder took the murder weapon with them.

Hyozo
2008-06-24, 07:56 PM
Dan

Dan has been on the deck for hours, Answering questions, settling disputes and helping to make sure that everything is ready for the day ahead. Now he is tired, and that is quite visible. "I'd suggest that everybody who needs to sleep do so. Problens or not, we do set sail tommorrow." yawns the newly appointed captain. Defore doing so himself, however, he walks over to Strongarm and begins to speak, "'As much as I'd like to, I can't stay up all night to help with the search. I'll be in the crew quarters for tonight. Would you mind waking me up if anybody finds anything?"

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-06-25, 10:09 AM
"A jinx on them!" Jhaida curses. "Those bastards were probably even bribed by the murderer - or murderers - to actually hinder any investigations ... Maybe one of us should go to the garrison and try to at least get a good look at that thing. Or has one of us already managed to do that before they took it away?"

She ponders the matter for a moment. "I cannot tarry any longer, there's work for me to do. I'll leave this matter to you and the others."

With that, she withdraws her head and closes the cabin door again.

Wasn't sure whether Dan was walking over to Strongarm at the same moment she was talking to him or if he did that later, so I decided not to react to it. If he was indeed on his way during the last exchange, Jhaida probably didn't notice him approach. :smallwink: Probably was too caught up in her work!

Mantid
2008-06-27, 10:52 PM
The night passes without incident.

The morning is still young when six figures emerge from the receding fog, making their way down the wooden docks toward the gangplank to the ship. As they approach the fog gradually reveals details about your passengers. They all appear to be of average height for an elf except for one notably short member, who stands a head shorter then any of the others. Four of them wear leather armor adorned with a few apparently decorative medallions. One of the others wears an odd assortment of baggy cloths tied tight at various points with strips of cloth, while the last, waking in the lead, wears a worn brown robe with its hood pulled over the head. Of the four wearing leather armor, three of them carry scimitars at their sides, while the fourth carries a double scimitar swung across his back. One of the elves seems to have a couple daggers strapped to his scimitar’s sheath. The remaining two appear to be unarmed.

They stop at the foot of the gangplank and the hooded figure motions for the scimitar and dagger wielding elf to announce them. The elf steps forward with a grin and shouts “Es’tal’en and company requesting permission to board the The Aryth's Wake for our voyage to the west!”

Hyozo
2008-06-28, 08:19 PM
Dan

An elderly and beaten looking shifter stands on the deck, clearly not in the best of moods. "Your blades will not be the most welcome sight on the Aryth's wake, for reasons I'm sure you're aware of." notes the shifter slowly.

He sighs, and Dan returns to the form he had held the night before. In a slightly faster voice, he continues, "Still, any changeling who would refuse oppritunity for the form it wears is the greatest of fools. Permission to board granted. Captain Dan Davis at your service."

Mantid
2008-06-28, 08:34 PM
The grinning elf's grin slips a bit at the mention of the weapons, but he nods and steps aside, motioning for the robed figure to lead the way onto the ship. You can't make out much about the appearance of the hooded figure, his brown robes with its large hood hide any details you might see. You get the impression that he is wearing a mask of some stylized skull under the shadows of his hood. He nods and gives alight bow. "I am Es’tal’en," he announces in a tough, strangled voice. He waves an aged, emaciated hand at each of the elves as they board the ship, announcing their names.

The grinning elf follows close behind. He wears the darkest colored leather of the group, his medallions lacking the bright shine the others’ posses. His long brown hair is pulled back into a neat braid that he has draped over his left shoulder. It would likely reach mid-way down his back if it hung straight. His eyes are brown, but seem to flash red when the light strikes them in the right manner. His scimitar is strapped on his right side, and his right hand hangs from on its immaculately clean hilt, close to the higher of the two daggers in smaller sheaths attacked the scimitar’s. "Melsitel."

The only female of the group is next. Her bright green eyes are highlighted by the green ribbon woven into her elaborately braided hair, which seems to be the only sign of femininity in the woman; the rest of her speaks of warrior. Her skin is weathered and tight, a jagged scar crossing her right cheek. Her stance and muscles tell you she has likely been a warrior from her birth and will be until her death, not to mention the worn and dirty leather straps that cover the hilt of her scimitar. "Celidea."

The shortest elf is next, his long golden hair bouncing with each step. Between his sharp, attractive face and powerful but tones muscles, you could almost believe he was some elf maiden’s fantasy given life, at least if it wasn’t for his diminutive height. He wears a scimitar at his side, but the handle of another weapon peeks out from underneath the shield he has strapped to his back. "Nelsrial."

The next elf, the one in the baggy clothes, seems to be a bad mood. A deep frown and furled brow sour his face. Half of his head is shaven, revealing a large scar and slightly misshapen skull. He stands slightly slumped as he examines his surrounding disapprovingly. "Besc."

Finally the double scimitar wielding elf boards. Apparently the youngest elf, he also is the most distinctive. His hair is dyed red, green, and purple. His ears sport several rings, as well as a single ring in his lip. He smiles slightly as he examines the ship and her crew. "Alimor."

The hooded figure turns to Dan and tilts his head. "Captain Davis, is it?" he asks. "I recall a hlaf-orc named Agarish commanding this ship, or was that just another of your faces?"

Hyozo
2008-06-28, 09:34 PM
Dan

Dan is shocked at the elf's question, but he quickly answers, "I already knew the city guard couldn't be depended upon, but I thought they would have at least informed you of yesterday's events. Yesterday morning captain Agarish was found in his cabin run through with a scimitar. He had left the ship to some members of the crew, including myself, and I was decided the most fit to take his place as captain.

Mantid
2008-06-30, 06:40 PM
The elves shuffle uneasily at the news of the captain's death. "A messenger was sent to inform us that there was problems on the ship," Es’tal’en replies, "but it seems the death of Agarish was not mentioned... A shame. The late captain was very wise and astute.

"Our reply that we must set sail today still stands, however. Es'tali'on is not a forgiving man. He has the support of several of the dragonmarked houses and can put enough pressure on all of us that, well, we might prefer that he just had us executed for breaking our contracts. Of course, if our enemies are the cause of Agarish's death, then remaining here could save Es'tali'on the trouble."

The hooded elf waves for the grinning elf, who pulls a few charts out of his haversack and steps forward. "We should discuss the final arrangements for the voyage. I would speak to you and your navigator privately."

WillWolf
2008-07-01, 02:03 AM
Cooky:

Cooky was not up to meet the elves, else she would have flipped out and started hucking things at them with their scimitars and their haughty attitude. She was covered in flour, in her furrish hair, and on her apron. She was making something or another. The cat followed her obediently. She did arrive to hear the 'Captain' speak. She had not formally recognized him as the leader, but could find none better for the role and she had enough common sense to not put herself in the situation, and would thus very grudgingly accept him. No one could truly replace the captain, but his replacement darn well meet her high expectations. She glares, and glares hard, and resists the urge to growl (loudly) at the elves and their scimitars and gave each and every single one of them the darndest hard look she could muster. She clenched her longsword, and then slammed the door as she went back downstairs, the cat followed behind her, mumbling something about having to make the elves patte and so forth, or perhaps making the elves into patte, who knew?

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-07-01, 02:00 PM
The voices have finally woken up Jhaida, though she has missed the introductions. While still not wide awake, she walks over to the closed door and listens through it to the exchange about the captain's death.

Ah, the navigator question again. Well, I have started to find the idea of Jhaida having to jump in as "navigator stand-in" intriguing (and potentially fun) by now. Might be fun if more than one of us has to adapt to an unfamiliar role aboard after Agarish's death! :smallsmile:

Currently, I'm missing 1 rank in Profession (Sailor) and 2 ranks in Knowledge (Geography), but I'm willing to keep that in mind for the next level advancements.

And maybe Agarish had a masterwork set of nautical instruments? :mitd: (<= "big, sad puppy eyes" version, directed at Mantid)

:smallwink:

With that and the occasional Guidance spell, I should be able to make up for the lacking ranks. I hope. (Or what do you think, Mantid?)

kpenguin
2008-07-03, 06:32 PM
Strongarm

Strongarm stood silently, watching the talks between Dan and the passengers. He wanted to question the elves about the captain's death and any they might think responsible. Their similar weaponry might mean a connection between the murderer and the elves. However, after the incident last night between him and Jhaida, Strongarm thought better of it. Dan could handle the elves.

The warforged artificer glances back at the door of the captain's cabin. With a bit of impatience, he stomps over there. Enough was enough. Jhaida had spent the entire night in there.

He knocks on the door, hard.

"Come out here, Jhaida!"

He opens the door and looks around, not spotting the shaman anywhere. The hulking warforged looks down and sees Jhaida, her ear very close to where his belly would be if he was human.

WillWolf
2008-07-04, 01:41 AM
Cooky:

Cooky, hearing the loud knock, peered out of the kitchen and stood a little out of the way as she saw the warforged bang on the door and call out for her friend (and rival) in a rather ... forceful manner. If Strongarm gave her a hard time, well, the warforged might not like the results of it.

She stood and there and took a good long stare at Strongarm, her cat also giving the same look. As the metal man opened the door, Cooky crept out of hers and then moved closer and closer to the door and then stood at the door's entrance. She couldn't see Jhaina where the warforged was, heck she couldn't see into the door either.

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-07-04, 08:20 AM
Once more, Jhaida realizes their difference in size ... even standing upright, as she was while listening at the door, the warforged's face is a full one foot and five inches above her own.

She stops rubbing her hurting ear and raises her head again. (Thereby reaching about solar plexus height.) "Shh," she makes, hastily raising her forefinger to her lips.

From the depths of a seashell, a muted voice groans. Ugh, someone teach that walking seaquake the difference between a knock and a meteorite impact!

"Say nothing, just play along," she whispers, low enough that only Strongarm should hear it ... and Cooky, of whose presence she wasn't aware.

"Found something, but don't want them to know!" Her nod indicates the elven passengers, out of sight behind Strongarm's massive body. Quickly taking a few steps deeper into the cabin, she calls out. "Coming!"

Lowering her voice to a whisper again, she adds "Take care that nobody but one of us five enters - and if possible, even then not without me, okay? Cabin must stay untouched!"

@ kpenguin:
Nice image you've created there! Eavesdropping on a warforged's belly ... never thought I'd ever find myself doing that! *laughs*

Okay, after that knock, she wasn't really eavesdropping anymore - probably not even hearing anything for a moment - but still. :smallwink:

@ WillWolf:
Glad to have you at her back - or rather (and even better), at his! :smallbiggrin:

Hehe, wonder if our combined glares could melt a warforged! :smallwink: Maybe we should try it out some time!

kpenguin
2008-07-04, 04:22 PM
Strongarm

Strongarm nods silently. The warforged, in honor of the captain's memory, was trying to keep an open mind about the elves, but didn't trust them as far as he could throw them (though that was pretty far...)

He says, aloud, "Dan and the elves have wish to see you, navigator."

Leaning down to face Jhaida, he lowers his voice enough that only she (and Cooky, who he too didn't know was there) could hear, "I will make sure that the passengers do not approach the cabin."

He turns to allow Jhaida to pass.

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-07-04, 07:03 PM
"Thank you, artificer," Jhaida returns, leaving the cabin. Spotting Cooky, she gives her a nod and as much of a smile as she can manage at the moment, then walks towards Dan and the passengers.

Arriving there, she nods towards the elves, then turns to Dan. "Captain?" she asks, though the word doesn't come easily over her lips.

I'm sorry, Dan, but capt'n you'll never be to me. That ... that was Agarish, and no one ... no one can replace him ... ever. She swallows drily, a lump in her throat.

kpenguin
2008-07-05, 02:21 AM
Strongarm

Turning around to watch Jhaida leave, Strongarm sees the glaring Cooky right in front of him. He would have said something to the shifter, but as he looks down to face her, he notices her cat standing next to her.

Strongarm leans down and gives the cat a soft pet on the head with his left arm. The feline reminded him of the furry animals that roamed the island he was stranded on before he was rescued by Agarish. The little furry beasts had kept him company on the island. Somehow, he got along better with them than the humans on the Brelish warship he served on. Their antics had kept him from going insane with boredom and loneliness. The cat reminded Strongarm of them. For some strange reason, the living construct forged of stone and adamantine had a soft spot for the feline.

If the Strongarm had a heart, it would have panged. Instead, he felt a small feeling of unease. Agarish often commented on the strange like Strongarm had for the cat.

WillWolf
2008-07-06, 10:27 PM
Cooky:

Cooky smiled to her sister/friend/rival, smiled because she was doing better, smiled because she found outsomething, and smiled because, well, the sisterhood lived strong on the ship, but as soon as the warforged turned around; the smile dropped and the frown and glare continued, though she said nothing. She had heard everything, and was happy for it.

Still the warforged remained, and as it lowered itself to pet the cat, Cooky growled something, and tightened her grip on her sword.

The cat however purred, purred at being touched. He liked the warforged, not to the point of loyalty, but liked him enough that he wanted to be around him when Cooky was too busy.

She rolled her eyes, growled, and then made her way to the kitchen to prepare for the upcoming meals, constantly checking to see if they asked for her. The cat however, remained with the warforged.

Mantid
2008-07-06, 10:28 PM
The elves move what little equipment they have brought with them, mostly basic camping and exportation tools, and prepare to depart. Es’tal’en and Melsitel head into a cabin with Dan, Jhaida "the navigator", and a few other crew members to discuss the voyage the Aryth's Wake was about to undertake.

Melsitel rolls out two charts on a table and over some near by barrels and crates. One chart is a map of Xen'drik's north western coast, starting a short distance to the south west of Stormreach and extending toward Skyraker Claws mountains. The second map seems to be a more detailed map of the Skyraker Claws. Both maps have carefully written notes on them in some language of elegant, twisting characters.

Es’tal’en points a bony figure at the first map. "I'm sure you recognize this," he says. "Since there is little reason for a ship to sail to the Menechtarum desert, we were uncertain if you would have a chart of these areas. This map is one of the most detailed to be found."

He traces his finger along to map until it points to the Skyraker Claws. "Those more familiar with maps of this region may notice a difference here. A large river and lake in the mountains that no other map marks. This other map is a more detailed chart of that area. That lake is our destination.

"We believe that at that lake there is a hidden fortress, one left over from one of the giants' ancient wars. Because it is so well hidden, the treasures and mysteries inside must be of great worth, and it is those mysteries we are after.

"Unfortunately, there are those who believe these secrets should be left alone. They will do whatever they must to stop us from reaching this goal. Now that we are aboard, we should depart quickly, before they have a chance to stop us. If we are not armed for battle, we need to prepare the ship as quickly as possible."

((You can use Knowledge: Religion, Geography, or Royalty to identify the language on the maps. Knowledge: Geography can be used to study the map for details.))

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-07-07, 06:13 AM
Jhaida leans over the maps and starts to study them, nodding at Es'tal'en's explanations. "Interesting ... I assume then that these two maps are at our free disposal for the journey?"

@ Mantid:
Oookay, those dice roll attempts seem to be completely and irrevocably messed up. Don't like it, but apparently I have to make a new try in a second post ... :smallmad:

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-07-07, 06:26 AM
@ Mantid:
Next attempt to roll the darn dice:

Jhaida tries to identify the language on the maps ...

[roll0]

... before she begins to examine the maps closely for details.

[roll1]

Hopefully it works this time!

Mantid
2008-07-07, 06:32 PM
"Yes, these maps are here for you to use," Melsitel replies.

((This are high quality maps and will add a +2 bonus to any Knowledge: Geography checks made to chart a course in this area))

Jhaida
You're not sure what language it is, but it reminds you of samples of writing you've seen from a continent far to the east.

You gain no additional insights from the map.

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-07-08, 10:30 AM
"Good," Jhaida murmurs, while continuedly studying the maps. Then she suddenly looks up at the two elves. "What kind of enemies are we talking about? It is hard to prepare against a mystery."

OOC:
Yay! Love those maps already! :smallbiggrin:

Btw, who are the other crew members that are present in the cabin? The rest of the new ship's owners, i.e. Cooky, Strongarm and Lanzo?

kpenguin
2008-07-10, 01:48 AM
Strongarm

The warforged leans down to play with the cat a bit as he watches the Dan and Jhaida enter another cabin with the elves. He hoped that they could handle themselves.

Vazzaroth
2008-07-10, 09:59 AM
Lanzo squints a bit as he looks at the map, specifically at the writing.
Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty:

[roll0]

Mantid
2008-07-10, 08:52 PM
"We know there are psionists and necromancers on our trail," Melsitel replies. "I'm sure we'll see giants and their former servants and creations as we get closer to our goal."

Lanzo
You recognize the writing as that used by the diplomats and ambassadors of Riedra, the birthplace of humans, but now a closed continent ruled by powerful psionists.

((Btw, once you're all ready, we just need someone to make a Knowledge: Geography check to set the course and we can start the voyage))

Hyozo
2008-07-21, 11:14 AM
Dan Davis

Dan grimaces slightly at the report of danger, but does his best to not be upset too much by it. "At least we know what threats we face. Since pursuit is likely, I think it would best to set sail as soon as we can, assuming that all preparations have been made of course."

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-07-22, 01:30 PM
"Are they merely on your trail, or could they also be racing you to your destination?" Jhaida asks. "What I mean is: Could we try to lead them astray and loose them somewhere, or do we have to hurry to reach the lake before them?"

Mantid
2008-07-22, 07:49 PM
Es’tal’en taps the map with a bony, aged finger and explains, "The reason that this may be the only map that marks this river is because the giants were very protective of this fortress. It was built at the height of one of great wars. They enchanted it so only a select few could ever find it. I am perhaps one of the few who possess the necessary traits. Without me or this map, they can only follow us. They cannot reach the fortress before we can."

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-07-23, 09:35 AM
The spirit shaman ponders the map for a few moments more. Then she straightens up. "I'll go and plot a course, then. Or is there anything else, captain?"

@ Mantid:
If no one protests, Jhaida will take the maps with her to the usual "navigation room". There she'll beseech the spirits for help (by casting Guidance) and begin to chart a course up to a point where the Wake will have passed around the peninsula at the base of which Stormreach is situated.

(Err ... was that confusing enough, or did you actually understand what I was trying to say there? :smalleek:)

How long will that take? Hopefully at least a day? (Don't have a map here ... :smallfrown:) Jhaida is not yet sure whether to follow the coastline all the way, or take another route. Up to the point I was describing, the coastline is all right, though.

Here's her first navigational desast-- attempt! :smallbiggrin:

[roll0]

Mantid
2008-07-23, 06:27 PM
OOC Blurb:
((That Geography roll will get you started. Since you're following the coast, this first ones are pretty easy... if you lose site of the coast, however, those rolls are going to be more difficult.

Anyone have anything else to say or do before you leave harbor? There's a time jump just outside of Stormreach...))

kpenguin
2008-07-24, 07:50 PM
Strongarm

As the hulking warforged artificer plays with the little cat, he mutters something that sounds like "kitty"

OOC: Alright, nothing else to say before we leave Stormreach.

Mantid
2008-07-27, 07:11 PM
Aryth's Wake is ready to set sail. Es’tal’en makes his way below decks, where his distinctive voice is heard chanting. The other elves remain on deck and do their best to help in managing the duties of their contract. Although they are not professional sailors, the skills they have learned from their previous voyages make them competent enough deckhands.

Despite Es’tal’en’s worries that others may attempt to stop the Wake from leaving, the ship encounters no resistance as it leaves the harbor of Stormreach and makes its way into open waters. Little happens on the first day of the voyage. The sky is clear, the winds favorable, and, although other ships are seen in the morning, no threats present themselves.

As the ship falls into its rotation of watches, you have the opportunity to observe your passengers as they work beside you, except for the enigmatic Es’tal’en, who remains below decks, hidden away in his cramped living space.

Info on Melsitel:

Melsitel maintains a cheerful attitude, seeming to take everything in stride with a air of confidence and amusement. He proves to be very dexterous, displaying skills with daggers and ropes that are almost uncanny. He is quite talkative, but his answers are generally elusive when asked about himself, Es’tal’en, or other specifics of the voyage. Not even his companions seem to know much about him.

Info on Celidea:

Celidea, the only woman in the party of elves, tackles her assignments with determination and dedication. She seems to relish any new challenge she can find, and is always trying to help in any task she hasn’t already been a part of. While on her watch, she talks little, generally only asking questions about her duties or replying to answers relating to the task at hand. When off duty, she is often seen meditating or practicing with her sword as best she can on the ship, or chatting with Estra and Tingdu, the elven sisters in the crew. Celidea doesn't seem open to either of the other, non-elven, women in the crew any more than any of the men on the ship. Nelsrial speaks fondly of her, however, and tells you of exploits of great bravery and honor from the elf maiden.

Info on Melsrial:

Nelsrial works hard and keeps a good attitude, except when the butt of height jokes from his comrades, which is frequently, particularly since Namac, Dan's over-eager gnome follower has taken a liking to him, much to Hasvo's annoyance (though there is little Namac does that doesn't annoy Hasvo). Nelsrial is more then happy to talk and hear about past adventures, whether they happened on land or on sea. You gather that he is an experienced warrior, having worked with Celidea and Besc during the Last War and speaks proudly of them and their exploits. One adventure he seems reluctant to speak about, however, was a recent voyage to the east of Xen’drik.

Info on Besc:
Besc goes about his duties without complaint, or much of any word outside of the occasional grunt. Most of the day goes by before you even hear a deep, gravely “Aye” from him. He constantly frowns and seems unhappy and upset about being on the ship. Melsrial explains that Besc was exceptionally bound to his horse, more so than most Valenar elves, who are renowned for the skills with the scimitar and upon the horse. To Besc, he left a part of himself behind when he boarded the ship to Xen’drik, but he would not leave the side of his long time companions, Celidea and Nelsrial.

Info on Alimor:

Alimor is the only problem among the elves. He seems anxious and irritated, and often slacks in his duties, instead standing there scanning the horizon, looking, perhaps eager for any ships or monsters. He is often confrontational, and you’re certain he is iching for a fight. The presence and stern look of Besc often mollifies the bright haired elf, however, and by the end of the day you’ve made sure those two work the same watch. Nelsrail explains that Alimor lives for the fight and, even though he is the youngest among them, he is probably the most dangerous fighter.

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-07-29, 08:01 AM
When an opportunity arises to gather the new owners of the Wake, Jhaida takes Lanzo aside. "I think it is time that we discuss what I have discovered about the murder of our capt'n. We should meet in the wardroom. Could you let Captain Davis know? And our artificer? Take care that our passengers do not get wind of what we are going to discuss, though!"

With a wry grin, she adds: "Meanwhile I'll take the risk to disturb Cooky."

Assuming that Lanzo agrees, Jhaida turns her steps towards the galley. Stopping at the door, she raises her hand and knocks. "Cooky? Do you have a moment?"

Vazzaroth
2008-07-29, 05:51 PM
Lanzo Ir' Cyrell

Lanzo accepts and follows his crewmate to speak in private.

Right. I'll get right to it. I am most interested to know what you have found...

Lanzo stops trying to watch Celidea from across the ship, which had consumed most of his time since they had left port, and seeks out his companions, whispering " Wardroom, 20 minutes.

WillWolf
2008-07-30, 02:05 AM
Cooky:

As Jhaida aproached the everpressing amount of swears and the smell of good food would waft through the air. Those swearswould eventually get muffled by the chopping sounds and boiling, hissing of steam and water. Cooky was at 'play'.

With the exception of the former captain, Cooky would only allow herself to be disturbed when 'creating' by one other person and that was Jhaida. That being said there was a thunk of metal against wood as Cooky threw a cutting knife against the wall beside the doorway, before bellowing out, "Jhaida? That you?" and a hustling of quick feet as Cooky threw open the door with a blustering cloud of flour and the smell of onions. What she was planning on making for thirty people with onions and flour was anyone's guess, but what can be said was that on average--she was a darn fine cook and when asked about her methods, there was a clattering of pans as they got whacked on the side of the head.

Now despite a somewhat grumpy look on her face, Cooky was happy to see her friend. The death of the captain hung on her still, and her eyes were droopy with a lack of good sleep. Truthfully, between making dishes that made the best use of their dwindling fresh food and her preservations of the perservatives and everything else, she hadn't had the time to get to know, even in passing, who the elves were. It was a good thing too, considering she was quite likely to say or do something unmentionable. The elves made her incredibly ... uncomfortable, and she took to wearing, and pronouncing the fact when she talked to a member of the crew with an elf close by, in making sure that they understood, that she had weapons on her at all times.

She grabbed the knife from the wall, and placed it down on the closest table: "Aye Jhaida, she didn't mention the knife, that was her usual aproach to being disturbed, what is it that I can do for you?" She mumbled as the flour settled, though in her heart of hearts and in her eyes she desperatly wanted to shake the information out of her about the captain, everyone who was anyone knew she was looking into it. And she would literally shake the info out of them too if it was anyone other than Jhaida.

Her cat, meanwhile, yawned and shook himself slightly, before turning back to sleep on the bed on the floor of the kitchen.

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-07-30, 10:07 AM
Jhaida closes the door behind her, coughing to clear her throat of the cloud of flour. Recovering her breath, and not mentioning the knife, either, she begins to explain.

"There's going to be a meeting of us new owners of the Wake," her eyes saddening at these words, "and I just wanted to let you know."

Then, in a softer tone of voice, she adds: "Nobody else is supposed to know - least of all these elves - but it is about the capt'n. And what I was able to discover. Could you come to the wardroom in about twenty minutes?"

A sudden thought strikes her. "And there is another thing: I need you to brew up a stiff grog. Please place it under the stairs to the quarterdeck, as usual. Our klabauter has been a great help in this matter, and she deserves our thanks." A moment later, she adds: "And I think she really could use a stiff grog, too ..."

kpenguin
2008-08-01, 02:40 PM
Strongarm

Strongarm simply nods and clunks toward the wardroom. He assumed that it was Jhaida had called the meeting. It was about time she gave some answers.

Hyozo
2008-08-01, 04:44 PM
Dan

Dan nods when Lanzo tells him of the meeting. "I'm sure it's important. I'll be there soon." he says quietly. He walks away from Lanzo slowly delegates some tasks to other members of the crew before arriving in the wardroom two minutes early.

kpenguin
2008-08-06, 03:32 AM
Strongarm

Strongarm arrives at the wardroom just a bit after Dan. After making a curt nod towards Dan, he walks over to the table and stands next to it. Strongarm had never enjoyed the idea of sitting. He felt no tiredness in his legs that compelled him to do so. He preferred to stand, giving his legs more freedom to move without being restrained by his position on a chair.

Hyozo
2008-08-08, 11:04 PM
Dan Davis

The captain looks as Strongarm enters the room. "Hello Strongarm. The passengers haven't been giving you any trouble, have they?" he inquires, thinking about how confrontational Alimor has been.

kpenguin
2008-08-09, 12:10 PM
Strongarm

"No, they have not"

This was true. Strongarm spent most of his hours below in the armory, polishing and sharpening what was stored there, keeping mental inventories of the items, and simply practicing with his battlefist. His time on the watch had not coincided with any trouble, probably because Alimor and he were never on the same watch.

Hyozo
2008-08-09, 08:53 PM
Dan Davis

"Good to know." says the captain, "Most of them aren't actively being problematic, but there are always a few trouble makers in any group of passengers. Have you seen Es’tal’en since we set off? He doesn't come on deck often."

kpenguin
2008-08-09, 09:47 PM
Strongarm

If warforged scratched their heads, Strongarm would. Instead, he remained in the same pose.

"Which one is Es'tal'en?"

All the elves looked very alike to Strongarm and he had not bothered to memorize their names.

WillWolf
2008-08-12, 01:29 AM
Cooky:

Cooky nodded her head in agreement to coming and shrugged when she mentioned the brew. It was easily done, and she would oblige with a frothy one and some buns with cheese. The cat was not the only thing that kept rats out of her kitchen and whilst she understood practically nothing about the spirits that surrounded them other than they existed and they scared her. This was typical of Cooky to not say too much and to yell when she had something to say.

Cooky quickly closed the door after looking both ways and the clattering continued, stifled with the occasional thunk as something hit against the wall and an odd 'huwwwwwwaaaa' as if she was doing battle with her pot roast.

"Which one is Es'tal'en?"

"The leader," said Cooky as she entered the room.

21 minutes later, Cooky bustled into the room, followed by her cat. Which meant one thing: if anyone entered the kitchen without deactivating the pots on top of the door, they would get a good whack to the head. It showed in her eyes too, that mad glean was like a flame in the wind, bright, flickering, and tenacious. The cat made a bee-line for the warforged, who, despite not being warm, was always good for a good cuddle, and began to nuzzle up against his ankles. Cooky meanwhile took a seat. She was still dressed in her apron.

kpenguin
2008-08-12, 05:08 AM
Strongarm

"Then I have not," says Strongarm as the feline headed towards him. As Cooky's cat cuddled next to his ankles, the artificer felt a strange sense of content.

Warforged faces can only make limited expressions. The small smile that was on Strongarm's face is among them.

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-08-14, 10:17 AM
The Wake's spirit shaman enters the wardroom as well. Looking around, she takes in the faces of her fellow ship owners. Then she speaks up.

"We haven't had much time to discuss the murder of our capt'n in detail since that morning the passengers turned up. But there are, at last!, things I have found out."

Jhaida sighs. "What I can not offer is the solution of the mystery. But maybe my findings can help us to solve it together, now, or in the future."

Turning her gaze into the direction of Agarish's cabin, she continues. "I, too, wasn't able to find any trace of Agarish's spirit. It seems almost as if he disappeared in the moment of his death ... However, there were traces of other spirits that have been aboard lately; spirits that are not common to our ship ..."

Looking back at the others, she says: "I sought the advice of the klabauter of the Aryth's Wake. When I managed to coax her out of hiding, she told me that she had not witnessed the murder. But she helped me to discover certain things in the capt'n's cabin; things I intend to show to you now."

Jhaida pauses for a moment, apparently pondering how to continue.

"I would prefer not to have the cabin disturbed too much; maybe you should follow me in, but stay close to the door until I direct you to what I found. Do you agree? And does anyone have any questions in advance?"

I've just assumed that Lanzo is present in the wardroom, too. Considering that I didn't manage to return early enough to post yesterday, as originally intended, I didn't want to keep you folks waiting any longer! :smallredface:

kpenguin
2008-08-15, 10:53 PM
Strongarm

The warforged made no movement save for tilting his head so that his eldritch eyes met Jhaida's.

"NONE"

It had been long enough. There had to be answers.

Hyozo
2008-08-17, 11:17 AM
Dan

The captain nods after Strongarm's comment, "It would be best not to waste time. Any clue could bring us closer to the answer."

WillWolf
2008-08-17, 11:44 PM
Cooky:

"Just show us already." She mumbled to herself rapidly tapping her fingers against the table she was sitting at.

Mantid
2008-08-19, 08:52 AM
As Jhaida considers how to present the facts he has uncovered, the rumblings of distant thunder break the silence. Hardly what you would have expected to hear on the warm, clear evening.

"Storm clouds on the horizon!" Estra calls out from the deck.

((If you head out to see the storm, make a Survival check for information about it))

kpenguin
2008-08-19, 01:34 PM
Strongarm

Strongarm had no particular experience with storms and clouds and weather in general, but a pair of strong steady legs were usually useful during bad weather.

The warforged clunks out on the deck.

[roll0]

Minstrel Wyrm
2008-08-21, 05:56 AM
Startled, Jhaida's head snaps up. "Storm clouds? But ..."

She hurries to the door. Stopping right in it, she turns around again. "Someone keep an eye on the capt'n's cabin! That storm may be more than it would appear!"

Then she heads out to have a look at the weather. In deep concentration, the spirit shaman softly chants to the spirits of the air ...

@ Mantid:
Using a Guidance spell, Jhaida's roll turns out to be:

[roll0]

Mantid
2008-08-21, 10:50 PM
Strongarm

This storm is definitely unusual for this time of the year.

Jhaida

You're certain this storm is not completely natural. Not only is it the wrong season for this kind of storm, but the storm moves and acts in unusual ways. Most disturbingly, the storm seems to be ignoring the winds and is heading straight for the ship.

WillWolf
2008-08-22, 12:14 AM
Cooky:

Cooky, who was not particularly great above deck, headed to the captain's quarters immedietly, running without any subtlety. The mystery must be solved and the info must be kept unspoiled, and no one was going into the capt's quarters until she darn well felt like it. If anyone got in her way, they would hear a very forceful, move as the generally nutty Cooky went to the quarters.

Hyozo
2008-08-22, 03:56 PM
Dan Davis

Dan, while not in quite as much as a rush as Cooky, stops only to ask "Is everything alright Jhadia?" before heading off to the cabin. As impottant as he knew this was, he hoped it could be handled quickly so prepparations for the storm could be made.

Vazzaroth
2008-08-22, 07:01 PM
((Thanks for moving me, sorry for the lack of posting.))

Lanzo stands up abruptly at the sound of the storm. He grabs his hat and puts it on, muttering to himself: "Spirits... Hmph.".

He runs outside, Cutlass Drawn, and making his way to where he kept his shield on-deck. He'd seen storms that had brought many strange things indeed.

Mantid
2008-08-24, 10:27 PM
The storm begins to draw closer and winds begin to race over the ship, bringing a damp chill to the air. The waves grow unsteady and the ship begins to rock and they slap against the side.

Namac comes running up to Dan, snapping into a sharp salute and trying so hard to stand tall and straight that he nearly rises up onto his tip toes. "Captain Davis!," he barks. "Should we prepare the ship for stormy weather?"

Hasvo comes up beside Namac and smacks his elbow. "Ya look like an idiot," Hasvo mumbles.

Hyozo
2008-08-24, 11:06 PM
Dan Davis

The captain would probably come close to laughing if he was in a better mood. "That would probably be a good idea Namac. It seems to be coming fast." he agrees before asking Havaso, "Can you at least save your comments for when there isn't a storm on the way?"

Mantid
2008-08-27, 07:41 PM
Hasvo signs and replies, "Aye capt'n." He gives a simple salute and turns around to organize the crew to prepare the ship. He takes a couple steps before he realizes that Namac is still standing there saluting, beaming with the apparent approval from the captain. Hasvo reaches back, grabs the gnome's tunic, and tugs him along. "Come on," Hasvo grumbles. "Ya capt'n gave ya order. Le's get to it."

The clouds continue to move to the ship bringing with them rain and winds that sweep across the deck. The crew works to get the sails up and get everything on deck secured. Lightning crackles in the clouds and ominous rumblings echoes over the waters.

Soon the ship is fully inside the storm, the winds tearing across the deck, throwing cold, stinging rain. The energy in the clouds continues to crackle overhead, but refuses to release. Lanzo and Jhaida are the first to spot the true terror of the storm.

The clouds overhead begin to take a definite shape, twisting into a large, vaguely rounded shape split by a large mouth and two empty eyes lit by the yellow and blue arcs of electricity. This misty head is soon joined by an equally cloudy hand that thrusts out of the clouds to grasp the aft mast of the Wake. The creature seems to pull itself downward, extending a second hand to grab the forward mast to help drag itself closer to the deck, stopping mid way down the masts.

((Combat reminder - no intitative, actions happen in the order they are posted, the monster taking the last turn.

The creature is about 20ft above the deck. You can climb the rigging to reach it, with a DC of 10 for 1/4 your speed or DC 15 for 1/2 your speed.

Due to the strong winds, ranged attacks have a -4 to hit.

Someone should take the helm and make Profession: Sailor checks each round to prevent further problems from the storm and keep the ship on course.

Knowledge Nature, the Planes, or Arcana (and bardic knowledge, of course) checks may be used to reveal facts about the monster.))

Vazzaroth
2008-08-27, 07:57 PM
Lanzo 46/46 HP AC: 22

Knowledge Arcana
[roll0]

This storm's got a life'a it's own, mates!

Just as he finishes strapping his shield on, Lanzo sees the monster's face. He shoves his sword-hand into his Spellpouch and rips out some ashes. Yelling a few words that are lost in the storm, he clenches his hand and throws the ash up at the monster, and it now takes the form of a Red hot rock and streaks towards the creature's "face".

Kelgore’s Fire Bolt

(([roll1] Fire damage, reflex 15 for Half))

Hyozo
2008-08-27, 10:29 PM
Dan

"That is... not a normal storm." mutters the captain as he tries to remember what it is. Regardless of if he knows anything about the creature, he'll backaway from it and fire an eldritch spear at it, shouting to Lanzo "Try not to burn the ship down if you can avoid it. it's somewhat important to our careers."

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] Vs. touch AC
[roll3]

kpenguin
2008-08-28, 12:56 AM
Strongarm

Strongarm stares up at the storm creature. He has a brief thought of concern for the cat, but decides that it's smart enough not to come out on the deck while a storm is roaring.

The warforged pulls out a black thread from the pouch on his belt. He ties it around his hands, concentrating hard. The thread disappears and the artificer's hands begin to glow.

Strongarm immediately grabs hold of the rigging and begins climbing.

Strongarm infuses himself with Skill Enhancement, adding a +5 enhancement bonus to his Climb checks.
He climbs the rigging at 1/2 speed.
[roll0]

EDIT: Good, I won't have to use an action point on that.

Mantid
2008-09-02, 05:47 AM
((Was hoping we'd see someone else post before the end of the long weekend here in the States... oh well...))

Lanzo ’s Fire Bolt and Dan's eldritch spear both strike the creature, causing pits of its cloudy body to evaporate into the air. The monster lets out a (literally) thunderous roar and throws itself against the masts, splintering wood and snapping some of the rigging. Its eyes flash gold and blue as lightning crackles through them, its head turning back and forth to find the source of the stings in its sides.

Despite the shaking of the masts, Strongarm has no trouble climbing half way to the creature.

[snip]

Cooky, Nelsrial , Celidea draw their weapons and take defensive positions, uncertain how to approach this strange threat. Besc takes a more direct approach, however, and jumps on the rigging across from Strongarm, pulling himself up and apparently eager for a fight.

Vae, seeing the monster overhead, hurries the other deckhands and crewmen to the safety of below deck.

Dan

While you're not sure what this creature is, you know it isn't from this plane of existence. Occasionally they do slip onto Eberron when the planes are coterminous with the prime material plane, but most likely this creature has been summoned.

Mantid
2008-09-02, 06:12 PM
Jhaida hurries up throw herself at the wheel to keep the Wake under control. ([roll0]) Although the winds and waves try their hardest to take control of the ship, the genasi manages to prevail.

kpenguin
2008-09-03, 01:43 AM
Strongarm

Strongarm struggles to make it to the top of the rigging, next to the storm creature.

Climb at half speed, move action. [roll0]

Upon reaching the top, Strongarm clenches his battlefist. The wand inside the bracer on that arm activates, causing the entire arm to shine brightly before encasing the entire thing in cold, hard, stone.

Expended one charge to cast stone fist. Standard action

Hyozo
2008-09-03, 10:44 AM
Dan

Dan groans as the storm attacks the ship. He angrily fires a second eldritch blast and glances over at the elves. "Where's Alimor? For once it seems like he might actually be willing to help and he's not here"

[roll0] vs. touch Ac.
[roll1]

Vazzaroth
2008-09-03, 11:18 AM
Lanzo 46/46 HP AC: 22

Get down here, you bloody cloud!

Lanzo stands in the middle of the deck below the storm, taunting it. He flicks his sword and a bright red sparkling flare flies at the thing's face.

((Fort save dc 14 or dazzled for 1 minute. Spell-like ability.))

WillWolf
2008-09-03, 10:42 PM
Cooky:

Cooky, who would follow her sister in arms wherever, was not particularly happy to see her beloved ship get destroyed, and, instinctively got peeved. Very, very peeved, and flew into a rage. She threw herself off of the deck, and then began to splatter up the mast to destroy the monster that was chumping up the dear ship.

Climbing, at half-speed: [roll0] (Keep in mind her speed is 40 feet not, 30.)

Attack, if I have the move action: [roll1]
Second attack, because Cooky is a combat monkey: [roll2]

Edit: No action point this time.

Mantid
2008-09-07, 10:48 PM
Strongarm struggles to climb the ropes in the storm and is only able to climb a couple feet before he pauses to cast his spell.

Dan's blast strikes true again, disintegrating more of the creature's cloudy body. With another roar the monster's head turns to regard the changling, its eyes and mouth crackling with energy. Lanzo's flare follows close behind the warlocks blast, but the spell doesn't seem to affect the strange creature.

Cooky wastes no time jumping onto the rigging and racing up to the monster, slashing with her sword as she pulls herself into arms reach. (([roll0]))

Besc also finishes his climb, grasping a cross beam, he swings himself upward, thrusting his foot out in a powerful kick. His foot disappears into the monster for a moment before the clouds disappear and free his leg.

Nelsrial and Celidea, obviously uncertain about the situation, begin to struggle climbing up the rigging to help in the attack against the beast, but Celidea barely makes it off the deck as she slips on the wet, unsteady ropes.

With a shout Alimor charges up from below decks, having finally pushed himself past the gleeing crew. The huge, excited grin on his face quickly turns into a scowl as he sees the creature well out of reach. "Ancestor's blood!" he curses. "How am I suppose to hit the darn thing?!"

A dagger flies over his head as Melsitel comes part way out of the hatch from below deck. The dagger, unfortunately, is caught by the wind and is blown into the mast, falling harmlessly to the deck.

The living storm continues to crackle with energy as it seems to collect the building charge in its mouth. With a deafening clash of thunder that shatters barrels, snaps rigging, and damages the masts even further, it looses a jagged bold of lighting at Dan!

Jhaida continues to struggle against the weather, doing what she can to keep the ship from being at the mercy of the waves. [roll1]

Everyone:

Dan: Take [roll2] damage, make a DC 18 reflex save to halve.

Dan: Take [roll3] damage, Fort Save vs 18 to halve damage
Lanzo: Take [roll4] damage, Fort Save vs 18 to halve damage
Jhaida: Take [roll5] damage, Fort Save vs 18 to halve damage
Strongarm: Take [roll6] damage, Fort Save vs 18 to halve damage
Cooky: Take [roll7] damage, Fort Save vs 18 to halve damage

Everyone on the rigging: Because the thunder damaged and shook the rigging, make a DC 5+(1/2 the damage you took) climb check or fall to the deck, taking 1d6 damage per 10 feet you had climbed or falling overboard into the water (your choice)

Hyozo
2008-09-08, 08:30 AM
Dan

Dan fails to dodge the storm-like creature's attack and is rather severely injured. He quickly grabs one of the wands from his belt pouch and forces a small amont of magic through it. The wand's curative powers activate and restore a small amount of health to the captain.

[roll0]
UMD the wand of Cure light wounds, Decieve item to take 10, result is 22.
formatting error on the damage healed roll. Actual roll here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4880899&postcount=6).

WillWolf
2008-09-10, 01:07 AM
Cooky:

Cooky swiped at the monstrous cloud again, regardless of the consequences. "Get ... off ... my ... ship!" She snarled literally as the monster continued on with it's damage. Despite the electricity she was not fazed, but the fire in her eyes made it quite clear that she was not happy to have her beloved ship in trouble.

Fort save: [roll0] Temp increase in con, increases fort saves.

Attack roll, [roll1] ... second roll: [roll2] ... damage roll: [roll3] ... second one: [roll4]

Technically speaking there should have been another two points of damage for the success at hitting because of the increase in rage. However, I forgot to actually roll my own damage, so I'll understand it should be dropped.

Rage 2/5 ...

Temp hitpoints: +18 ... AC: 18

kpenguin
2008-09-10, 01:28 AM
Strongarm

Rocked hard by the shockwave of the lightning bolt sent at Dan. He manages to tough it through and stay on the rigging and continues his ascent. Reaching right next to the creature, he extracts a piece of rabbits fur from his pouch and squeezes it in his battlefist, concentrating hard all the while as the storm raged around him.His battlefist shine brightly for a brief second before settling in to a sky-blue glow.

This... thing, whatever it was, was either a beast of elemental properties or was not of this world, bound to the elements of air or water judging from its nature. Making a snap judgment, Strongarm had enhanced his fist against unearthly spirits of an airy nature.

Fortitude Save to Halve Damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4880186&postcount=2)
Climb Check to Stay On Rigging (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4880192&postcount=3)
Climb Check to Move at Quarter Speed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4880194&postcount=4) + Action Point
Cast (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4880197&postcount=5) (Move Action)
Infused Battlefist with Outsider (air) Bane using Weapon Augmentation, Personal (Standard Action)

Vazzaroth
2008-09-10, 11:33 AM
Lanzo 32/46 HP AC: 22 Fort Save: [roll0]

Ahhhrrrg!

Lanzo's hand's go to his ears at the loud thunder, almost forgetting his sword and shield. Seeing his petty flare fail, he retrieves ingredients for another Fire Bolt, and unleashes!

Kelgore's Fire Bolt

[roll1] Fire damage

Mantid
2008-09-18, 08:22 AM
Cooky swings wildly at the cloud creature, scoring one noticeable hit and sending more of the creature’s vaporous body evaporating into the air. Thundering, the monster slowly turns its large, bellowing face toward the enraged barbarian. It opens it mouth, no longer crackling with energy, and lunges at Cooky when Lanzo’s fire bolt pieces into the beast just beside its eye. The monster pulls back, glancing in Lanzo’s direction for a moment.

[b]Nelsrial reaches down to his companion. “Grab hold,” he tells the elf maiden.

Celidea grins. “What? Going to pull me up a foot?” she jokes, reaching out and taking his hand. The pair continue to make their way up the battle, where Celidea is able to draw her scimitar and make a swipe a the beast. Her blade passes through the monster harmlessly.

Another dagger flies across the deck. Melsitel’s second dagger is only slightly more accurate, passing by the monster and trailing evaporating cloud behind it. Alimor curses in elvish as he heads to the rigging. Slipping his scimitar into its holder on his back, he grabs the ropes and tries to climb up, only managing to make it a couple feet before he slips back to the deck brining on a second round of swearing.

Besc dances across the cross beam, thrusting a fist into the beast’s hand. The sound of cracking wood can barely be made out as the beast lets loose another thundering roar and pulls it hand away, slapping Besc with the back of it. Besc stumbles backwards from the blow, but manages to keep his balance on the crossbeam. The beast then swipes the hand across the rigging, trying to hit Cooky.

Suddenly a tremor shakes through the ship as the sound of an impact echoes from below decks. “Did we hit something?” Melsitel asks, just a hint of panic in his normally cool and collected voice. You know this isn’t the case however. The Wake didn’t strike anything, rather something just attacked the boat from underneath!

Attack on Cooky:
To Hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] electricity

kpenguin
2008-09-19, 02:31 AM
Strongarm

Strongarm is rattled by the assault from the bottom of the ship. He and Vae would need to repair that area later. Hopefully it wasn't too damaged. For now, however, there was the task at hand.

Leaning closer to the great storm-thing, Strongarm unleashes a fearsome set of punches with his powerful battlefist.

First Slam Attack
Attack Roll: 28 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4947894&postcount=7) (30 w/ Bane)
Damage Roll: 15 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4947899&postcount=8) (23 w/ Bane) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4947912&postcount=9)

Second Slam Attack
Attack Roll: 13 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4947919&postcount=10) (15 w/ Bane)
Damage Roll: 7 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4947925&postcount=11) (13 w/ Bane) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4947936&postcount=12)

WillWolf
2008-09-19, 11:18 PM
Cooky:

The grasping shock of the attack did not faze her; it seemed that the armor absorbed most of the damage, and some of the smoke missed. She screamed and strung wildly at the storm thing with her sword again.

"Get off my ship, *&^%&^!" she continued on in her cursings, cursing as the proverbial sailor does.

Roll one: [roll1]
Roll two: [roll2][roll]1d8+6]

Rage: 3/6

The previous increase on the rage was wrong, I went by the wrong assumption that it was an increase of plus two, not plus four.

Mantid
2008-10-02, 09:46 PM
((Gaw! Ok... things are calming down... I'll get back on this! :smalleek: Icedragon & Vazzaroth, have an action for this round?))

Hyozo
2008-10-02, 10:48 PM
((YAY! Mantid is back!))

Dan

Dan angrily stares at the menacing cloud and wordlessly fires off another Eldritch blast.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Vazzaroth
2008-10-03, 11:38 AM
Lanzo 32/46 HP AC: 22 (26 w/ Total Defense

((Nice surprise. It's still way out of Melee range, right? From the Deck where Lanzo is.))

What in blazes!?

Lanzo will look over the side of the ship for the source of the other attack, since this demon cloud is shrugging of his taunts while bracing for further attacks.

((
Total Defense, move to the edge, Search Check if needed: [roll0]
))

Mantid
2008-10-06, 04:02 AM
Strongarm's (correctly) enchanted attacks land powerful blows against the monster, sending a large portion of the creature's massive face into the winds. The beast pulls back from the Warforged only to have one of Cooky's blows nearly sever its retreating hand.

As the creature tries to retreat up the masts, snapping more crossbeams and rigging as it goes, more attacks fly its direction. Besc flips upwards to land another powerful kick on the beast, while Celidea finally reaches the crossbeam, slashing the monster's side with her scimitar. Nelsrial struggles up beside her, but his wild attack swings wide. Dan's blast flies wide, along with another dagger from Melsitel. Almor simply throws more curses at the monster.

The assault seems too much for the retreating horror, and with a final thunderous boom, the creature's shape begins to break up, the arching light of electricity fading and the clouding body blowing away in the wind.

Another crash below the Wake reminds you that the fight is not yet over. Peering over the side of the boat, Lanzo is unable to spot the assailant in the storm turned waters and only receives a face full of water for his efforts.

Jhaida contines to struggle against the weather, straining at the wheel with the added pressures of the retureating storm creature and the attacks from underneath. (([roll0])) Unfortunately her efforts are not enough and the ship begins to drift at the mercy of the waves.