PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Proficiency Bonus and Powers

Goober4473
2008-06-14, 02:24 PM
Do you gain a weapon's proficiency bonus when using it with a power? I would assume so, but I can't find a ruling.

If so, is there an equivalent for powers that use no weapon, or is the damage and whatnot just increased appropriately?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-14, 02:44 PM
Page 275, the "Bonuses and Penalties" box.

The PHB is, unfortunately, bad about organizing information. ([w] isn't explained in Powers or Weapons, but in Attacking, on page 276, and this...)

Edit: There's no proficiency bonus for non-weapon powers. That's why they're Weapon powers. Magic impelements (holy symbol, orb, staff, rod wand...), however, add their bonus to attacks and damage with Implement powers.

Pinnacle
2008-06-14, 03:08 PM
Looks to me like weapon powers usually target AC and implement powers usually target other defenses.
AC should generally be higher than the other defenses since it gets everything they do plus armor, so the proficiency bonus helps with that.

Not all powers follow that rule, but those that don't usually reflect it. Look at the rogue at-will powers Deft Strike and Piercing Strike. They do identical damage, but one targets AC and the other targets Reflex. The one that targets AC gives you free movement and can be done with a wider variety of weapons and at range. The one that targets Reflex should be easier to hit with, but it doesn't do anything extra.