PDA

View Full Version : 40k:Imperial Guard Armoured Company?

Da King
2008-06-14, 09:11 PM
I was thinking of creating an Armoured Company because of the relatively low price my local GW is selling tanks at recently. Does anyone here have advice on creating Armoured Companies?

Kane
2008-06-14, 11:10 PM
Well, I haven't even played a real game of 40K, but when I visited a local GW store, I saw a necrons vs. IG armored company match.

The IG got owned by infantry. Since they don't have layers of ablative meatshielding, they're vulnerable to massed A-T Infantry.

So I guess it'd be 'heavy on the anti infantry weapons' as my advice.

tyckspoon
2008-06-14, 11:40 PM
Creating an Armoured Company: Buy tanks. Paint tanks. Deploy tanks. Not too hard (although expensive, like everything else) especially if you just get a bunch of Leman Russ and don't get into the specialty tank variants. Which is a solid choice; the Leman Russ is good, and you can make it reasonably multipurpose with sponson weapon choices.

In play, you're generally going to want to focus-fire against your opponent's anti-armor ability. Take out any heavy weapons teams and assault squads carrying powerfists and/or krak/melta upgrades (especially jump-pack troops or Fleet units that can more readily get to your side and rear armor.) If you can manage that without taking too many casualties then you can usually wrap up the game fairly easily with superior firepower while most of the opponent's remaining troops can do relatively little to stop you. Necrons present a special challenge because the special rules on Gauss weaponry makes every single basic Warrior a potential threat to your tanks, as compared to most armies where only the heavy weapons guy and maybe the plasma gunner can hurt you out of a standard Troops choice.

The first turn is going to be very important. An Armoured Company feels each casualty much more deeply than a traditional infantry IG army.. so strive not to take casualties. Ideally, you get to act first and can blow up the biggest threats before they can do anything. Since that won't happen all the time, try to deploy in cover or out of line of sight completely (standard advice, there. All armies should try to deploy in as well-protected a position as the board allows.)