PDA

View Full Version : 4e question [amusing]

Swordguy
2008-06-14, 11:56 PM
So, there's that Warlord power where you command an ally to make an immediate attack against a target he's adjacent to. Commander's Strike, I believe it is. Can the ally refuse? Say...if he's standing next to his mom, and you use that power. Does he automatically smack his dear old mum with a heavy blunt object?

I only ask because this came up in our first 4e session...

EvilElitest
2008-06-14, 11:59 PM
yes, then he goes to his room without supper
from
EE

RoboticSheeple
2008-06-15, 12:15 AM
Ally is a willing condition so yes he can refuse.

kieza
2008-06-15, 12:37 AM
He can refuse to gain the advantage of the power, but the person who uses the power still expends it (No takebacks!)

Learnedguy
2008-06-15, 12:55 AM
John: "Bill, attack your old venerable mother!"

Bill: "What? No way!"

John: "Bill, attack the table:smallannoyed:!"

Bill: "That trick won't work twice:smallfurious:!"

(Yes I know it's an at-will, bare with me:smalltongue:)

Jothki
2008-06-15, 12:55 AM
Similarly, can you force an ally to shift off of a cliff?

tyckspoon
2008-06-15, 01:06 AM

I'm pretty sure that's no. Involuntary movement would be labeled a 'push' or a 'pull', like in Thunderwave or the polearm powers that let you shove things around.

BloodyAngel
2008-06-15, 01:45 AM
You can not make someone hit their own mother.

But it DOES allow me to make a mafia boss warlord. I simply sit in the back behind a wall of large, brutish fighters, petting a cat and smoking a cigar. My only action each turn?

"Vinny... break his legs."

After all... they hit so much harder than me... and the simple fact that I've tolf them to do it raises their damage!

"You know... I was gonna hit him anyway... but having him tell me too really gave me the edge, you know?"

It's like the fighters in that group all have self-confidence issues. :smalltongue:

Mjoellnir
2008-06-15, 05:45 AM
Warlords can't force an ally to anything he doesn't want, simply because that would be against the definition of ally.

pasko77
2008-06-15, 06:04 AM

But it DOES allow me to make a mafia boss warlord. I simply sit in the back behind a wall of large, brutish fighters, petting a cat and smoking a cigar. My only action each turn?

After all... they hit so much harder than me... and the simple fact that I've tolf them to do it raises their damage!

"You know... I was gonna hit him anyway... but having him tell me too really gave me the edge, you know?"

It's like the fighters in that group all have self-confidence issues. :smalltongue:

LOL.
This example was priceless!

shadow_archmagi
2008-06-15, 07:50 AM

*applaud* *giggle*

wodan46
2008-06-15, 10:26 AM
One of these days I'm going to make a Warlord in a giant armored hamster ball that gives him ridiculous AC, and have him spend the entire combat ordering people to attack on his behalf, and occasionally run people over with the hamster ball.

Until I figure out the rules for it, I will just multiclass to wizard and take Otiluke's Resilient Sphere.

Ned the undead
2008-06-15, 11:33 AM

Yeah, it's called a Bullrush.

Moak
2008-06-15, 01:01 PM

Priceless.

Only a problem...it's a melee power...so the boss can't be behind the guys...he have to be melee with the target...

Well...he can always be a mafia boss with a reach weapon... :smallamused: