PDA

View Full Version : Fan Dancer

Innis Cabal
2008-06-15, 12:01 AM
FAN DANCER
Magic can come in many forms, the music of the bard, the holy words of the town cleric, or the fell secrets wielded by sorcerers and wizards. In their continued pursuit with the arcane or divine some draw away from their bodies, allowing themselves to wither into atrophy. But there are some that feel the tribal rhythm, feel the excitement in losing themselves to their inner beat, and long for the colors of spinning skirts and flashing fans. These are the fan dancers, a often times misunderstood sect of spell casters. Often ridiculed in the arcane community, and in all but the most accepting faiths, the fan dancers seek to unlock the inner magic of the inner spirit.
Hit Die: d6

Requirements
To qualify to become a fan dancer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Preform(Dance) 6 ranks, Knowledge (arcane) 8 ranks, Bluff 8 ranks, Concentration 10 ranks
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Crescent Fan)
Spells: Access to 3rd level spells, one of which be a 2nd level enchantment spell

Class Skills:
Skill Points Per Level: 4+ int modifier

Bluff(Cha), Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Knowledge(all)(int), Preform(Cha), Spellcraft(Int), Profession(Int), Spot(Wis)

FAN DANCER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Moving Feet, Inner Rhythm, Dance of Blades |+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Dance of the Fertile Earth |+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Dance of Seven Fan’s |+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Dance of the Crescent Moon |+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Dance of Balance in Form |+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A fan dancer gain no proficiency with any weapons or armor

Spells per Day/Spells Known: At each level a fan gains spells per day as if he had gained a level in an existing spell casting class. He does not how ever gain any other benefits of his class, such as bonus feats or other class features. If a fan dancer has more then one spell casting class he must choose which fan dancer increases.

Moving Feet (Ex): At first taking this prestige class, a fan dancer’s spells become engrained in his or her movements. Here after, no spell cast by a fan dancer can be stilled by any means. A fan dancer may also not wear armor, as even the thinnest of leathers interfere with their odd movements.
Inner Rhythm (Ex): While fan dancers forsake armor of all forms, the strange beat inside their heads drive their bodies to twist and slide around oncoming attacks. A fan dancer adds his dexterity twice when computing armor class so long as he wears no armor and carries a light load.

Dance of Blades (Su): At first level, as a full round action, a fan dancer my attack any opponent up to 10 feet away. He may perform this ability equal to 1 plus his charisma bonus, times per day.

Dance of the Fertile Earth (Su): Once per day, at second level, a fan dancer use his fan’s to scoop up dust, dirt, or other debris and use them to obscure himself from attacks. For 5 rounds after using this ability a cloak of dust duplicates the blur ability. This ability requires one move action.

Dance of Seven Fans (Su): At third level, a fan dancer learns to use his or her body as a deadly and affective weapon. By provocatively swaying and gesturing, a fan dancer attracts the attention of those around him. A fan dancer must have line of sight with a target to use this ability. A target must succeed a will save (DC equal to 10+ a fan dancer’s level+ his charisma modifier) or be dazzled for 4 turns. A target that succeeds at its will save cannot be affected by the fan dancers Dance of Seven Fan’s for 24 hours. This ability is usable once per day.

Dance of the Crescent Moon (Sp): At fourth level a fan dancer can channel his arcane or divine might through his fans and dances, unleashing them on those that stand in their way. A fan dancer must sacrifice a spell slot to use this ability. This ability is a ranged touch attack, and deals 1d6plus a characters charisma modifier after all damage is rolled per level of spell slot used. A fan dancer may not sacrifice more spell slots then he has levels in the fan dancer class.

Dance of Balance in Form (Su): At fifth level, a fan dancer becomes attuned to his form so perfectly, his movements become as water. With the sacrifice of a 5th level spell the fan dancer’s body gains the following special abilities for 10 minutes. A fan dancer becomes immune to critical hits and precision damage as if under the heavy fortification armor ability, he may squeeze through openings as if he were 2 size categories smaller, damage reduction 5/, and a +10 competence bonus on jump checks, move silently checks and perform checks.

Debihuman
2008-06-15, 10:59 AM
Why is Bluff a requirement but not Perform (dance)?

Debby

Innis Cabal
2008-06-15, 11:36 AM
erm, thank you for the catch, that was supposed to be added.

Debihuman
2008-06-15, 12:04 PM
The only problem with adding Perform (Dance) instead of substitutiing it for the Bluff requirement is that it is a bit overloaded for a Prestige Class.

Furthermore the spellcasting classes, which would be the primary ones interested in it, don't usually have exotic weapon proficiencies at all. To make it more difficult, the weapon required to join the Prc isn't even in the core books. What book is it in?

Debby

Innis Cabal
2008-06-15, 12:27 PM
Sandstorm, and the requirments are a bit daunting, but its meant to reflect the training and specialty involved to become one as an arcane caster. It would best fit a bard

Draken
2008-06-15, 09:31 PM
A straight warlock could not take this class. They have a caster level, but no actuall spellcasting ability. Which is your pre-requisite (along with a spell, invocations are not spells). There is a difference.

So. Currently, it is mostly for Bards, or maybe for Wizard/Warriors with odd tastes.

Also!

The ability to add their Dexterity Bonus to AC twice is... Odd. I would say, either add Charisma or Int to AC or add the level of the prestige class to the AC. Slightly less... Uh.

erikun
2008-06-15, 09:56 PM
Indeed, odd class. Interesting one, though.

The class has no class skills. Is everything cross classed? :smalltongue: I would also recommend dropping bluff, simply because I don't see how feeling the rhythm of magic has to do with fooling anyone.

Inner Rhythm should either add the class's level to AC, or a Cha bonus up to the class's level to AC. Just doubling the Dex bonus at first level is asking for cherry-picking, 3.0 fencer style.

I am seeing Dance of Seven Fan’s as more of a hypnotizm attack than dazing, given the discription. Also, really low DC - the same as saving from a 5th level spell.

Am I understanding Dance of the Crescent Moon right: you may use it as many times as you like, but you cannot give up a spell slot of a higher level than your Fan Dancer level. Correct?

Dance of Balance in Form - interesting, but why the size reduction? Why damage reduction? Why a bonus to move silently (balance might make more sense)?

BizzaroStormy
2008-06-15, 11:08 PM
Actually you can kinda already do this. You can take the dervish PrC and use War Fans from the Arms and equipment guide.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-16, 02:48 PM
wow, leave for a bit and get resposes, ill respond to them in order

@Draken- THank you for yet another catch, this is what i get for writing things up with little sleep, ill edit it out. Also yes adding dex is a bit strange, But with the strict entry requirments and the fact that it bars armor, i think it will kill most cherry picking attempts.

@Eirkun-As said before, i wrote this up early in the morning and posted with little to no checking, it will be fixed...thank you /facedesk. As to adding Cha, it was something i foguht with, but i didnt feel it fit with the over all feel. The Fan dance to me felt more of a dazzling effect, yes the save is slightly low but it seems alot of PrC's run with that formula. You are correct on Dance of the Cresent moon. As for the Dance of Balance in Form, it is meant to mimic their ability to twist, slide, and contort their bodies around/through/over things as for the size and damage reduction. They fit into area's better, and know how to move around blows to mimimize the damage done to their vital organs. As for the move silently(And yes i should add balance) it is the movement of their feet, The actual fighting style i based this off of, and plan on making a less magic relient(more invocation style), exemplifies how to move ones feet in the proper manner as to make no sound. Hope that answers everthing.

@PirateJesus- Yes i am aware, but clearly i felt there should be a different and conctrated take on it over all. The dervish has its own feel, as i hope this does as well, both completely different then one another.

Ethrael
2008-06-17, 05:20 AM
Wow, nice class. I'd just like to ask a few things. The Moving Feet ability, when you say no spell cast by the Fan Dancer can be stilled, what does that mean? Also, in the Dance of the Crescent Moon, when you sacrifice a spell slot, do you do so every time you use it? And what type of spell slot, spell known, prepared, which one exactly?

Other than that it seems actually, really quite original and interesting. Nice one.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-17, 08:16 AM
Hmm...You should rephrase Dance of the Crescent moon. The way I read it, it lets you add your CHA score times the level of the spell, which can reach b0rkedly strong levels.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-17, 05:56 PM
Again, will answer in order.

@Ethrael- Stilled spells(as by the Still Spell feat) allows a caster to not require somatic compnents to spells. As this is a somatic class, using still would defeat the flavor and purpose of the class in general. As for which type of spell slot, any one possesed by the caster. If you're a wizard or a cleric, a prepared etc.

@Azerian Kelimon- Thank you for the catch, i'll clarify it for sure.

Debihuman
2008-06-18, 04:09 PM
Bluff and Balance should be class skills. Perform should have (Dance). Also, you left out the ability modifiers. This is how I think it should look:

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Any) (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Perform (Dance) (Cha), Profession (Any) (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis)

Also, skill requirement should be: Perform not preform and it needs to say (Dance) to be specific. It should also be Dance of Seven Fans not Dance of Seven Fan's. Otherwise, it makes it sound like there should be 7 people applauding when you do this.

Debby

Innis Cabal
2008-06-19, 01:51 PM
Perform isnt like Knowlegdge, so i don't think it needs to be specific in the class skill list, its like craft. Fixed the other problems

Debihuman
2008-06-21, 02:35 PM
Perform isnt like Knowlegdge, so i don't think it needs to be specific in the class skill list, its like craft. Fixed the other problems

Umm, actually Perform IS like Knowledge--
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/perform.htm

Like Craft, Knowledge, and Profession, Perform is actually a number of separate skills.

You could have several Perform skills, each with its own ranks, each purchased as a separate skill.

Each of the nine categories of the Perform skill includes a variety of methods, instruments, or techniques, a small list of which is provided for each category below.

Act (comedy, drama, mime)
Comedy (buffoonery, limericks, joke-telling)
Dance (ballet, waltz, jig)
Keyboard instruments (harpsichord, piano, pipe organ)
Oratory (epic, ode, storytelling)
Percussion instruments (bells, chimes, drums, gong)
String instruments (fiddle, harp, lute, mandolin)
Wind instruments (flute, pan pipes, recorder, shawm, trumpet)
Sing (ballad, chant, melody)

Also, the skill selection is really light for a Fan Dancer. You might want to add more skills just to round it out. I suggested a few earlier, namely Balance and Bluff.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Debby

Innis Cabal
2008-06-21, 02:43 PM
Like Craft, Knowledge, and Profession, Perform is actually a number of separate skills.

You could have several Perform skills, each with its own ranks, each purchased as a separate skill.

Bolded the important part. If you check most PrC's, any listed with preform, craft, or profession reduces the skill when you enter it, unlike knowledge(which is narrowed down by class), that is what i meant more or less. Even if the list is light, it will require at least level 7 to enter(for a bard) and more for a caster type other then bard.

Debihuman
2008-06-21, 03:07 PM
Bolded the important part. If you check most PrC's, any listed with preform, craft, or profession reduces the skill when you enter it, unlike knowledge(which is narrowed down by class), that is what i meant more or less. Even if the list is light, it will require at least level 7 to enter(for a bard) and more for a caster type other then bard.

In that case, simply list it as Perform (Any) as you did with Knowledge. Dance is the most obvious choice of course, because it's required. But that would give the PrC a few more skill choices.

Since the Prestige Class has the requirement of 8 ranks of Bluff, it seems odd that Bluff would be a cross-skill for the Fan Dancer.

Debby

Innis Cabal
2008-06-21, 03:11 PM
another of my oversights, noted and changed, thank you