PDA

View Full Version : Solarbabies Post-Apoctalyptic Setting

DaBull
2008-06-15, 08:08 AM
Okay, so Vadin and I were watching this 80's post-apoctalyptic sci-fi, and we decided that if we fleshed out the setting so it all actually made sense, it would actually be pretty cool. So we did. We both have some basic concepts coming from the movie that we've fluffed out, and I'm going to post them over the next while.
Though input is appreciated and encouraged, I would request that you don't try to add new fluff until I've gotten everything mandated by the movie down.
This will not be it all, I'm at debate camp, and kinda' on a random computer in an empty room. Not really conducive to posting.

"In the year 2000, at the dawn of a new millenium, America was contacted by beings from another world. It was a super-race of star-faring aliens from a planet beyond our observation.
This triggered a century of Renaissance. Science and technology bloomed as the aliens distributed their technology to any and all who desired it. They ended famine, wars, disease, poverty, any ailment the human race had.
For 100 years, America slowly drew away from the world outsid themem and no-one really seemed to notice their passing. Foreign radio sinals were dropped, telephone lines were cut. No contact came from the outside world. It seemed as though the world was perfectly happy with the U.S. out of the picture. The aliens had told them as much at the outset, and had advised them to do so. 'Why seek parlay with lesser nations of the world when you yourselves are totally self-sufficient. Contact with others simply causes mistrust, misunderstanding, and war. Our society had done away with all its neighbors, and look how we have developed.'
As the centennial of the aliens' coming neared, humanity and alienity prepared to celebrate the coming of the aliens in a vast, nation-wide, year-long festival. This was never to come to pass. New Year's Eve 2100, a massive volcano under Old Faithful, a geyser in Yellowstone National Arboretum (it had been enhanced by alien technology, and was more of a wild utopia then a wildlife preserve) exploded. It was though the Earth was throwing up its core. For two months the volcano erupted forth, choking off the planet with ash, killing most all plant and animal life. The volcano built up a mountain so massive, it's shape would have been apparent from space, had the aliens not disencouraged space flight. Hundreds of millions died.
And, once the dust cleared, the totally disjoined, leaderless, helpless remnants of humanity realized that the aliens had gone. In fact, they had left the very day the eruption had begun.
America descended into anarchy and upheaval. It is now around 3100, the world has settled down, but only a bit. The wars for freedom and control still wage, and death, famine, and disease are all very apparent realities..."

DaBull
2008-06-24, 09:01 AM
Okay, sorry about the delay. The next several segments will focus on the three main factions in the game, the Environmental Protectorate, the Eco Warriors, and the Chicani.

The Environmental Protectorate
Some times simply called the Protectorate, the Environmental Protectorate was begun by the large body of military and military research scientists that survived during the fall. Naturally, being in fortified areas meant that large numbers of these personnel survived. Now, the Protectorate dominates the new world in large part (The dividing line between a major and minor faction in Solarbabies is largely whether they depend on the Protectorate for water supplies.).
The Protectorate has a strong base in military force and independent research structure. Naturally distrustful, they see alien artifacts as tricks of those who betrayed humanity. Highly militaristic, they have organized into a highly-structures society where everyone has a place assigned to them, and they are expected to do their job to the best of their ability without complaint or error.
Besides their large population and military advantages, the Environmental Protectorate has another large trump card. Realizing the importance of water fairly quickly, they used various compression and condensation techniques to drain most available water from an already desertifying landscape. Because they were the first large faction to organize, and because their technology developed far faster than other factions, their original workings went unhindered. Eventually, the larger groups of the Chicani and Eco Warriors were able to fight back, but much of the world remains dependent on shipments of water from the Protectorate.
On a side note (Because it was the main setting of the movie.), all children, either born in the Protectorate or taken in raids on other factions, are sent to remote schools to be endoctrinated into the Protectorate mindset.

Vadin
2008-06-24, 06:58 PM
Hey. I can only get in a quick message here at GHP (sup?), but the above has my blessing. This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82350) is the result of our brainstorming so far in terms of mechanics.

DaBull
2008-07-02, 05:55 PM
Koo, so, found ur post, sounds better than mine...
For future reference, everyone, this is continuing in Vadin's forum topic on it...
Heres the link:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82350&highlight=solarbabies

puppyavenger
2008-07-02, 06:02 PM
out of curiosity, what happened to the rest of the world during the century? and how do you stop all contact between America and Mexico/Canada? what happened to Alaska?