PDA

View Full Version : Mecha RPG

Grey Paladin
2008-06-15, 10:59 AM
Has anyone heard of a good ruleset for a Mecha RPG/Wargame?

I have seen countless variations of the Eastern view of the genre, but I have seen very few Western representations, the number of which are not based on cartoons and written for 10 year olds can be counted on one Nothing.

(To these who do not know what I am talking about, the failed Video game Chrome Hounds may give you an idea, although it'll be a rather bare one. Western Mecha tends to focus on 'realism' ((as much as realism can be focused upon with giant robots)), technology and its effects upon society and humanity, and large scale conflict)

Skyserpent
2008-06-15, 11:04 AM
Warhammer does some good stuff... of course, that's not much of an RPG... Dragonmech has some cool western fantasy interpretations...

Matthew
2008-06-15, 11:29 AM
Well... assuming that you are already familiar with Battle Tech/Mech Warrior, you might consider Heavy Gear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Gear).

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-15, 11:36 AM
Very few western interpretations? Most Mecha computer games (that aren't from Japan) are based on Battletech, and the Mechwarrior, the Battletech RPG, used to be quite famous. (To clarify, Battletech is the battle game, Mechwarrior the RPG based on the setting. I believe they're meant to work together.)

Cyberpunk 2020, curiously enough, has quite good rules for vehicles and powered armor ("realistic mechs", basically; mecha means both fighting vehicles and giant robots, anyway).

GURPS had a GURPS Mecha sourcebook for the previous edition; no clue if there's a new one.