PDA

View Full Version : Who's your most memorable D&D character and why?

kladams707
2008-06-15, 12:47 PM
Mine was a 2e gnome illusionist (g.il.). The reason why is b/c my gnome was very confused/confusing. He's modeled after the true ruler of the universe (from Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.). As a result of my gnomes perceptions and need to match reality as best he can with his perceptions, I teamed up w/ our other party's g.il. to beat down the party's rogue.

And btw, if you have any better characters outside D&D please share.

Mr Pants
2008-06-15, 01:13 PM
My favorite character went by the name of John Pantsless. He was a golem-ish creature (living construct; not warforged)/scientific experiment that was seeing if a golem was even capable of being a Druid. Being a golem he did not wear pants, and did not want to wear pants. He was successful, however he was more barbarian than druid. Let's just say that by mixing heavy weapons and large size and shillelagh he had finally found a use for monkey grip. He had in one session annihilated six guards that were one level higher than he was and had used sundering cleave to destroy over 100 cubic feet of concrete in one swing. Later in an adventure in the astral plane he had tricked himself into thinking that down was towards a fire genie that we were happening to be fighting. The genie is over 200 feet away and so John falls towards him. There is a massive explosion and his parts were all over the place.

sorry for the wall of text
tl;dr giant golem without pants with colossal maces

Xyk
2008-06-15, 01:24 PM
Mine would have to be a short character. He was a pixie rogue I decided to play. This was a level 5 campaign, so I had like 12 HP. I tended to be invisible and flying all the time. So, I flew up during a battle, knowing if I got hit, I would die. I perched on a chandelier and it happened to be trapped with electricity. I fried and died. I was a pixie for only 1 game, and then I rolled up a ninja. That worked much better.

NorseItalian
2008-06-15, 01:58 PM
Half Illithid Doppleganger as a gestalt Psionic Warrior/Incarnate. My DM wanted to kill me soooo bad.

The Glyphstone
2008-06-15, 02:05 PM
No question at all - my most beloved character was Viktor Freakenstine the Fleshwarper. His build varied a few times through the three or four incarnations he got, but it was always the same character - born crippled, obsessed with "improving" his body by replacing all of the inferior human components. He referred to himself in the third person, had a winged weasel named Igor, and was a complete blast to play, at least in PbP...never got a chance to try him at a real table, except for a short stint as an NPC for some unappreciative Philistines my RL gaming group.

kieza
2008-06-15, 07:30 PM
A 3.5 gnome expert that I used as an NPC when I was running a campaign last fall. He had a vast number of skills, more than ten languages, and less sense than the average gelatinous cube. He also had a Vest of Holding, which was covered in 2-inch square pockets holding everything from lit torches and ladders to loaded crossbows and, in a scene that I never actually used, 500 feet of rope. Oh, and I seriously thought about giving him a portable ballista (some assembly required. He was almost the cause of the party's death more times than I can count.

Pelfaid
2008-06-15, 07:57 PM
First actually character in campaign started in college. Elven ranger in 3.5 dual wielding longswords, nothing special there. But it was the circumstances around his death that will never allow me to forget him. It was our last session before the winter break, and I had left the rest of the party to go scouting. Turns out the camp I was scouting was full of Half dragons and Kobolds. Ignoring the Half red ogre, I take a pot shot at a Kobold at like 500 feet. I misss him but the orge sees me, waits long enough to get a kobold on him as a rider then flaps his wings that I was unaware of and takes off. So I bust out running like hell trying to get out of the way. It catches up with me and drops out of the sky Large Greataxe leading the way. Drops me to the negatives in the first hit. I manage to stabilize at -9 and thats when our DM ends the session. To make a long story shorter my party just saw a big red dot drop out of the sky and decide to wait before going over there. So the kobolds take me prisoner and I wind up with a short sword through my throat. sigh...

Hyudra
2008-06-15, 08:42 PM
My GM was running a modified Eberron game, and I took offense with some of the changes he made to the game. The Blood of Vol was ousted, Kaius unseated by his Minister of the Dead, the leader of the Silver Flame was dying, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I kind of disliked so many great qualities of Eberron being dismantled, so I sort of used my character to try and prove to the DM why I liked those things. I made my character a member of the Emerald Claw who, when her religion (and her faction) was revealed, scrammed.

She spent a great deal of coin buying a sort of permanent magic jar to take over the body of an young aristocrat, then left Karrnath and went off to Breland.

The DM wound up loving the character, (Human Hexblade, with minor tweaks to make it more viable) and I did too, even though I didn't expect to. She was a diehard patriot of Karrnath who believed her terrorist actions had been for the good of her country. I used her hawk familiar for tons of roleplaying, and her attitude, perspective and methods made her the de-facto leader of her mercenary group (the PCs). Fantastically enjoyable, as she was an evil character who didn't act Stupid Evil. She had justification, perspective and values.

Below is more on the group dynamic & the campaign, spoilered for length:

The campaign didn't get all that far, but I really liked the interactions. The group included a dwarf ranger who became a huge ally of my character, a warforged cleric who had adopted goblin culture, a changeling wizard who liked transmutation way too much, the GMNPC 'Knight' (by name & class, apparently) and we were later joined by a psion & dragon shaman. Oh, and let's not forget 'Seras'...

Seras was the character of one of the DM's 'friends' who invited himself to the game. He came toting a class which he had worked on with the DM, which was ever so broken (Spellcaster, spontaneous spells, armor, more per day than a sorcerer, can apply quicken and enlarge to spells without the regular drawbacks, but with risk of dazzling, being shaken or stunning herself. Somewhat restricted spell list, though it had every spell I would've wanted). He was also a jerk, both in and out of character.

I hated Seras, I really did. The character was snippy, pessimistic, killed the group dynamic and made the game less fun. Not to mention that after I announced I was playing a Karrnath aristocrat with a slightly arrogant demeanor & a military background (a lie, but it was what my character would have said to support her skillset), Seras turned out to be a Karrnath aristocrat with a hugely arrogant demeanor and a military background.

After the group concluded it's first adventure, our characters were headed back into town, and Seras threw out some more snippy comments. I talked with some of the other characters & the DM, and it turned out three of them disliked Seras' character & the DM wanted Seras gone.

So, it was fitting that my character, the leader, take charge. My character responded to the rudeness with a simple, "Seras, we'll discuss this later." We collected our stuff, most of the others retired to the inn and my character requested Seras meet her outside.

What followed was probably my most intense moment of D&D to date; The RP was great as my character questioned Seras, and with her somewhat warped perspective of Karrnath & such, took offense at Seras' words and proceeded to beat the sense out of the girl. The player pulled some stunts which still tick me off to think of them, and it was then that I realized just how ridiculous her class was.

One stunt I recall: After I'd rolled a rather impressive attack, she used her class ability to instant cast backbiter, which wasn't even on her spell list. The player claimed to have misunderstood what the DM told him about his spells known. The DM didn't want to argue the point, so cancelled out the attack.
Regardless, the DM didn't want to offend this person and I managed to get the better of Seras in combat, so he reduced the character to 1hp and let her encase my character in a dome of dirt (at level 4, instantly, mind you, with a threatening warrior-type and hawk familiar). She scampered back to the group to frantically try and convey what happened, badmouth my character (possibly rightfully so) and then ran when my character approached.

My allies didn't say anything that evening, and it was only the following day when we were recruiting a new member that the issue of my character's actions came up. It was a glorious moment of RP (or maybe PR) where my character made use of her +13 diplomacy to defend her actions and managed to set things right with the group - even reaffirm their loyalty twice over.

The game continued for a little while beyond that, until the DM, due to serious personal reasons, couldn't DM anymore. We're still looking for a replacement.

evisiron
2008-06-15, 08:57 PM
Mine has to be Krog, the Orc Barbarian. He was a simple orc who ended up being the groups favourite character, due in part to his Int Wis and Cha scores of 6 and therefore carefree helpful nature.

He was in an orcish campaign where the tribe was migrating, and he named the new berries we discovered on route. Names include:
Krog berries
Kroggle Berries
Blue Kroggle Berries
Krog Squish Berries.

Funniest memory was during a big fight against elves where he had jumped into a group of soldiers heading at the cleric. A few rounds later the cleric asked how many HP Krog had left.

Me: "Two"
Everyone: ...
Everyone: "SAVE KROG!!"

Krog was on -8 by the time they healed him. :smallsmile:

He later died in a fight against a huge group of were creatures, where he stood alone against a huge werewolf leader to protect the healer and spellcaster. The cleric since carried a finger of his on a necklace in the hope she will someday be powerful enough to bring him back.

Ravyn
2008-06-15, 10:15 PM
Her name was Jillian, and she was a human sorc/paladin multiclass, designed as one of the contenders for a recently vacated symbolic leadership position.... in a rather sexist organization that didn't really like sorcerers all that much. Then we got ambushed by the BBEG, who, trying to get at an old nemesis of his who happened to be in our party, stepped into a flank between her and the group's other candidate for the position she was going for.

Fortunately for the BBEG, Jillian only knew one second level spell. Unfortunately for him, it was Wraithstrike. And she critted. With a merciful scimitar. Twice. Sure, he survived because we had to run, but still blasted impressive.

...so next thing I know she's the symbolic figurehead of the free world against all odds, and immediately starts driving the BBEG crazy. Granted, she died of a terminal combined case of demands of plot and big angry dragon, but it was seriously worth it.

Out of curiosity, why only D&D characters? A lot of us have better PCs in other systems entirely.

THAC0
2008-06-16, 01:23 AM
Not my favorite characters at all, but definitely memorable ones:

Baera the gnome illusionist, 3.5. At low levels, she "pretended" to have a raccoon familiar - I had a sockpuppet that I talked to constantly. It was also the first time with a new group, I don't think I weirded them out TOO badly.

Later, after actually acquiring a familiar (a weasel or something? I don't remember) she continued to paint it like a raccoon. Also, she had something like strength two, so she had her familiar carry her stuff, pulling it on a rope.

I don't remember the name or class at all, but from a 2e one-shot. A friend and I played gnome twins who misguidedly worshiped Urdlen. We carried around a white mole and treated it like our god. Unfortunately the mole didn't have many hit points and died. So then we had to find a new one and tried to color it white with paint. It got smushed as well!

My favorite though was a 1e human cleric who got catapulted into the "save the world" storyline. That was pretty awesome.

Solo
2008-06-16, 01:58 AM
Ozymandias.

You know why.

Learnedguy
2008-06-16, 03:53 AM
Salmon the monk.

It took him half a minute to fall, and it took me half an hour to persuade the DM that kicking hobo was, in fact, a facet of Salmon's faith.

warmachine
2008-06-16, 06:54 AM
Jack Bison, 3.5e Neutral, sword-and-shield Fighter. Not at all optmized by I had fun roleplaying it. With a backstory as black propagandist for an evil army, his distinctive feature was high Craft (Painting). He would paint wonderous events and brutal slayings on canvas. More importantly, he would make snarky comments on the local decor and express his contempt for other warriors, including the Barbarian member of the party. Great fun!

SamTheCleric
2008-06-16, 07:32 AM
My most memorable D&D character is my very first... not for anything he did... but because... you always remember your first.

2nd Ed... Galavin Treefang. He was a Druidy Ranger of some sort (I was 10 and my friend's dad was helping us with the character sheets so that we could focus on playing the game.)

I remember stalking/being stalked by a werewolf on a full moon... I cast entangle to trap him and shot him... but forgot to shoot him with my silvered arrows, so he actually attacked the camp later that night and we peppered him with silver. Good times.

_Zoot_
2008-06-16, 07:49 AM
Ozymandias.

You know why.

I don't, can you tell me?

kladams707
2008-06-16, 09:29 AM
Out of curiosity, why only D&D characters? A lot of us have better PCs in other systems entirely.

It was more of a spur of the moment question. But you have a point, so I encourage others to not limit themselves on this thread to just D&D PCs.

kladams707
2008-06-16, 10:38 AM
My most memorable D&D character is my very first... not for anything he did... but because... you always remember your first.

2nd Ed... Galavin Treefang. He was a Druidy Ranger of some sort (I was 10 and my friend's dad was helping us with the character sheets so that we could focus on playing the game.)

I remember stalking/being stalked by a werewolf on a full moon... I cast entangle to trap him and shot him... but forgot to shoot him with my silvered arrows, so he actually attacked the camp later that night and we peppered him with silver. Good times.

That's a good point, I forgot all about my 2e rogue. My DM held a practice session for my friend and I before we got involved in a real game just to get a feel. My friend was a wizard and I was a rogue. I remember nearly getting killed by a necromancer b/c we followed him (he promised us a party dammit). Then a witch fed us and knocked out my friend out w/ a shock grasp(I let her b/c he left me for dead w/ the necro), then I killed the witch. Her little daughter came home and threatened to report us, so she died. Later a little boy tried to steal from us, I ran him down and killed him. That was a fun little stint we had.

Iudex Fatarum
2008-06-16, 01:14 PM
I can't decide between my favorite two characters
Either Tod Smith, fighter who painted all of his full-plate black and carried a silvered scythe while wearing a dark hooded cloak. He had a passion to kill lycanthropes, of all kinds. (DM got ticked when I left a good were-boar to get captured by slavers working inside the local law)

He at one point got stuck in a dark alley full of were-rats. Now previously he had killed a were-wolf who had yielded in a duel by just plain silting his throat and then walking away showing no remorse ever. The paladin had a mark of justice put on him, conditions "Kills a lycanthrope who is not perceived as a threat by at least one of [insert party members]"
So alone, in a dark alley 12 were-rats attacking at once and the party is currently outside the city. Crit and roll almost max damage. Take my cleave, roll to crit, roll a nat 20 again (Dm rule this allows for the crit multiplier to increase by 1) and roll to confirm again. Now I do almost max damage, with a silvered Bane (humanoid (shapechanger)) scythe, so that is 10d4+(10d6+10)+1.5xSTR damage. At 4th level. I intimidate the rest of the were-rats to run, easily.

My other favorite was a aquatic elf monk who felt it was his duty to follow the law and enforce it on others. His name was Iudex Fatarum (Judge of the Fates) I've used him a couple of times, first time he ended up with a swim speed of 100 ft and yet couldn't speak common and only one person in the party knew any languages he knew. Just to illustrate his personality though... (much lower level version of him 3rd if I remember)
At one point the party was trying to rob an abandoned shop in a city (the city had just been attacked by a dragon and no one had come back to claim their stuff yet) So I told the party that it was wrong to steal everything this person had, especially because we didn't need it. I climb up the vertical 5x5 hole to get out of the basement. I am the only one with decent climb check. They throw me a rope, I tie it to the 10x6 ft desk sitting next to the hole. As they climb it slides over the hole because they are carrying too much weight. They get realy peaved at this. Took them 2 hours out of character to get out, and the funny part is, no bluff checks no diplomacy or just plain abandoning the bags of gold I knew about (I didn't know about the bag of holding literally stuffed full of silver pieces).

SoD
2008-06-16, 03:39 PM
You always remember your first.

Very true. I'll never forget ''The'' Shadow (DM wouldn't allow the title 'the', so it had to be my nickname). He was an Elan...rogue, I think. No, not a rogue...ahm...anyway, an Elan. An Elanish Elan (no, not a bard). Lurk! Yes! An Elan Lurk!

In my very first session, I bought a hat off a random guy, got him addicted to an illicit substance, ruined his marriage, and got him to join the party (details in spoiler, due to large text). Not to mention other fun stuff!

'The' goes up to the guy in a hat (Robin Hoody, with a feather), and offers to buy his hat. After haggling, I bought the hat. I then offered to buy him a drink (''Do you want a drink?'' ''Yes.'' ''Great! Can you get me one as well?'' ''...I was under the impression that you were buying.'' ''Oh. OK. What do you want?'' ''An ale.''), so I go up to the bartender, and ask for two suprise drinks. ''Ah *taps nose*. I get'cha.'' Soon after, I return to S-man, (turns out his name was Starsky, so he became S-man). And give him his drink. Absinthe. The hallucinagenic kind.

While he's out of it, I ask him to join the party (he's swimming like a fish on the table at this point), and he agrees. The next morning, I remind him of this. And it's off to the wife. After a heated discussion behind a closed door, he comes out and says ''Lets go. there's nothing left for me here''. He was a bard.

Later that day, whilst guarding a caravan against a bandit attack, at one point, I attempt a heroic leap from one caravan to another (only ten feet, and I was unarmoured). He jumped...smashed into the side of the other caravan and gave himself concusion.

Later that night, after healing, he's put on watch: and is bored. So, he grabs one of his arrows, sticks it in the ground next to him, and yells: ''HELP! We're being attacked!'' The rogue didn't wake up, the paladin just went back to sleep (played by a non-RPer), the barbarian charges into the undergrowth, and the dread necro, after nothing happens, threatens me with a painful death if I dare wake him again (I'd already woken him once, for some stupid reason or another). Then the necro sets up his tent on top of the caravan, so he wouldn't need to be woken when we started moving.

At this point, I'll add: in all our fights so far, we'd been exceptionally lucky, and the DM decided to challenge us...we'd been breezing through fights in two rounds which had been three levels higher than us. So he made one that was marked 'overwhelming'. I'll also add that all (but one) of the party thought I was 'kinda cute, in a stupid way' or some variation, depending on the intelligence of the character.

When we see them approaching (now on plains), the paladin orders me to wake the necromancer, because we'd need a spellcaster for this. He was very suspicious of the dread necro (who was CE), and used detect alignment frequently. However, the necro uses undetectable alignment frequently as well. I go and wake him up: ''Hey, uh, wake up! We're being attacked, only now it's really real! The paladin told me to wake you, because we need your help, and you're a spellcaster. Yeah, come one, that's it, grab your sword and let's go...why are you looking at me like that?'' ''I TOLD YOU NOT TO WAKE ME!!!'' Thinking quick, I cast grease on his greatsword. It flies out of his hand, and I run out, screaming. I'm halfway to the others, when he catches up, swings at me and crits. I was a first level character. I was chopped into two peices. Unfortunatly for him, he didn't have enough sleep to prepare his spells. And, over my dead body, with a crazy look in his eye, he looks up, seeing the rest of the party staring at him. At once the other players said: ''Detect evil, charge, smite evil.'' ''I rage and charge, swinging my greataxe!'' ''I'll flank and sneak attack.'' And then official encounter started. An overwhelming encounter with the barbarian winded after his rage, paladin with his smite evil gone, no spellcaster, and two characters already dead. To get an idea of our luck: They survived (paladin unconcious, barbarian on 0, rogue unharmed [she didn't get hit once in three sessions].) Yeah, we were that lucky.

Oh, and when I was dead, in front of S-man, the barbarian gets S-mans hat off my corpses head, gives it to him and says ''He'd want you to have it.''

turkishproverb
2008-06-16, 04:24 PM
Mine was a 2e gnome illusionist (g.il.). The reason why is b/c my gnome was very confused/confusing. He's modeled after the true ruler of the universe (from Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.). As a result of my gnomes perceptions and need to match reality as best he can with his perceptions, I teamed up w/ our other party's g.il. to beat down the party's rogue.

And btw, if you have any better characters outside D&D please share.

Well for D&D, that would have to be Grack, my Goblin Barbarian. Just because playing a goblin with a class focused on strength ticked my DM off. And his Ax fetish was always fun. Only ranged weapon he ever used. He loved sharp things alot though, spiked armour and gauntlets as soon as he could afford it, and then he'd just dive onto city guards after they confiscated his actual "weapons"

And his response to the reading problem? "Squiggles on paper tell you how much something cost? Save time, tell owner how much you pay him"

Paul H
2008-06-16, 07:51 PM
Hi

Definitely my main Living Greyhawk (LG) character, Oskar Thorinson. Hardly optimised, (28 pt buy., Dwarf Cleric 3, Warmage 4, Mystic Theurge 5), but with well over 300 hours of gaming fun he's got to be the best.

Only problem is LG expires end this year, with 4th Ed taking over from end this month. Oskar's just getting into his prime. All those 4th lvl encounter breaking spells. Evard's Tentacles, etc. Got a bit too attached..............:smallsigh:

Cheers
Paul H

LoneStarNorth
2008-06-16, 10:26 PM
Smashgar Ironcobbles the dwarven barbarian. Exiled from his clan on account of being a violent lunatic, he renamed himself and joined up with a party of goons to fight the Red Hand of Doom. The rest of the party was a neutral sorcerer with a pseudodragon familiar, a spellthief, and a cleric (the leader) who confused "Lawful Good" with "violent, racist, and prone to killing party members as a means of dispelling Charm Person".

Smashgar liked to make new friends. When the party killed a couple of owlbears, he tried to raise their young as his pets. This effort was doomed to failure as he wore their mother as a hat and tried to feed them on prime-cut steaks from their dad.

When two hobgoblins were taken prisoner, Smashgar talked the violent, racist cleric into letting them live, even after the charm spells wore off. In order to convert them more permanently, he went on the mother of all beer runs. He and the spellthief were on the way back from town with their caravan of dwarven booze in tow, but they were attacked by a hydra. Smashgar killed it with five barrels of alcohol and a well-timed crit. He also accidently took out a bridge, himself, and almost the spellthief. But he survived with one hp, delivered his remaining cargo, and won two steadfast pals.

He was later killed by a dragon. Thanks to the hobgoblins moreso than the rest of the party, he was reincarnated. As a halfling. And so he began his spiraling descent in the bowels of Chaotic Evil. He bought himself some big, mean dogs and some new equipment, then left the party and joined the bad guys. And he was never heard from again.

At least not in that particular game, which ended recently after about the 3rd TPK.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-06-16, 10:52 PM
I'll probably have to go with my first character (in AD&D). I was 6-8ish years old at the time. The character was Doodle, the hafling rogue. In the first session we acquired a potion of dragon charming and stole all the treasure belonging to a great wyrm Red Dragon.:smalleek: Needless to say, much hilarity ensued!:smallbiggrin:

Shades of Gray
2008-06-16, 11:19 PM
Ephraim, Challenging Knight.

He would scream "ARE YOU READY FOR A CHALEEEEEEEEEENGE...HEH" at his foes. His entire build was focused on him charging with a lance, while challenging people, riding my friend's rhino animal companion.

Most memorable moment? We were attacked by 50 rioting villagers. I used his "Test of Mettle" to challenge all of them at once. I won.

We were also attacked by a giant monster with an explosive eath. I knew that this was supposed to be the dramatic end for the campaign... TPK. I panicked and said "I attack the blast" Natural 20! I cuth the blast in half... heroically... Yes I also challenged the blast.

There was also another moment with a riddle no one was getting so I said to the riddler "ARE YOU READY FOR A CHAAAAAALEEEEENGE... of wits?" I asked him a riddle myself "what has eight arms, is brown in the winter, white in the summer, flies, and smells like cheese?" The answer? An Eight-armed Dire Wombat Mongoose Dragon Badger. That was also the final boss we fought.

BEST CAMPAIGN EVER!

Crazy Scot
2008-06-17, 07:02 AM
One of my favorite characters was from a DragonLance campaign. My friend (the DM) allowed me to start the character out in a pretige class without base levels, but he assured me the drawbacks would more than make up for it. So we started out at 1st level, and I chose a CN Walker in the Waste from Sandstorm. The twist was that my caster levels were treated as equivalent Sorcerer levels. If you know anything about DragonLance, spellcasting is not generally highly looked upon and spontaneous spellcasters even less so. This created a small problem with the group's two other spellcasters (it was a large group).

His favorite attack method was to use his Dessicating Touch power (heck it only required a melee touch attack to work) to husk out his opponents. The best part is, it took several encounters before any of the others realized where the husks were coming from. Finally, the Minotaur fighter saw me doing it and was about to give me a dressing down about it when the Kender walked up and said "Look another really old dead guy, maybe the disease is spreading." (I had partially convinced him that it was a disease before.) I told him "Yeah, you better go before you get sick." He then runs away, back to the rest of the group at the cart yelling "I'm diseased! I'm diseased!" At which point I look at the Minotaur, shrug my shoulders and say "What?" :smallbiggrin:

Hairb
2008-06-17, 07:47 AM
Traubon Hamfist, the Perrenlander dwarf archeologist and folklorist. He was a rogue, with an eye towards multi-ing ranger and perhaps dungeon delver. Despite being rather unimpressive crunch-wise, he was just so much fun to play, as you would hope a 4'3" Indiana Jones would be.
Due to a string of natural twenties, he almost solo-ed the first three quarters of Scourge of the Howling Horde, so him was stuck in there disarming traps, laying waste to baddies with his sneak attacks and crits, preserving abandoned dwarf shrines, the whole works. I ought to drag him back out for a new campaign.

DigoDragon
2008-06-17, 08:47 AM
Hmmm... I run so many games as a DM I only have a half-handful of characters. :smallsmile:

I guess I'll go with a character I had played years ago in a sort of Gurps "I.O.U." setting. He was a college student with Multiple Personality Disorder and an affinity for Sci-fi. He wore a Trek Next Gen red uniform and carried a handpuppet of a fox (also in Trek uniform) which was the embodiment of his other personality. He refered to the fox puppet as "Captain Fox" and refered to himself as "Number One" (A parody/homage to Trek Next Gen Riker).

He was a lot of fun to play because no one in the party could ever convince him that the puppet was NOT a real person. Furthermore with his Ventriloquism skill the fox puppet did all the talking and was actually intelligent and skilled as a leader whereas the character was more or less an average intelligence freshman college student. So whenever Captain Fox was speaking, it never 'broke character', always refering to everything in Trek terms. For example one time the puppet refered to the public Bus as a long range Ferengi transport vessel and needed it's services to transport a container of antimatter (a gallon of gas) back to sector 001 (The university) to refuel the Enterprise for a rescue mission in the Neutral Zone (His car ran out of gas and he needed to go pick up another party member stranded in the boondocks).

ghost_warlock
2008-06-17, 08:50 AM
http://www.geocities.com/wrarx/Foglio_PCP_7_Xh.jpg

Meet Jalsgrim Redmother...or was it Jarble Toothface? Or Tim the Enchanter? Eh, ask him his name and you might get a different answer every time.

Jalsgrim was created in 2e and eventually ported to 3.5. I've played various incarnations of him with different DMs (few let me keep him around for very long). Jalsgrim is native to Limbo and his head is permanently wreathed in purple flames that shed light as a torch (this effect is present regardless of which form Jalsgrim takes, much to his annoyance).

A more-detailed Jalsgrim background:
The poor son of an orange and a tribe of gnolls, life was hard for Jalsgrim growing up on the spaghetti vineyard. Fortunately, he was born at a young age so he got an early start at life. Then the giant gad flies.

When he was just a little boy, the vineyards were burned down by a horde of marauding chipmunk barbarians, who killed Jalsgrim's parents and sold him into slavery to a bunch of elves who forced him to work in their pork mines. They forced him to work all day in the mines and he had to fight with the other slaves over every piece of lumber the elves gave him to eat. Fortunately, he was bigger and stronger than most of the other slaves, considering most of them were gnomes and kobolds. It wasn't long before they elected him their leader and taught him how to use their ancestral weapon - the waraxe.

Shortly after mastering this weapon, Jalsgrim lead the slaves in a revolt against their slavers. Unfortunately, he was the only survivor and was forced to eat his way out of the mines. But he had a fondness for bacon so it only took him a couple days to make it to the surface.

He wandered for a while, alone, before encountering a wandering monster - a human wizard. The struggle was nearly epic, but Jalsgrim eventually defeated him and claimed his pot of gold and spellbook. Jalsgrim immediately set about learning the intracacies of magic so he would never be caught unprepared again.

Although he had a tough time making sense of the writing in the spellbook at first, magic came naturally to Jalsgrim - especially transumations. It wasn't long before he had mastered a few cantrips. Soon after, he learned how to turn himself into a little girl. He vowed to never use this newfound power unless it would be really fun. Later, he learned how to transform himself, and others, into different creatures as well.

Jalsgrim journeyed for a time with some other people, mostly killing monsters and that sort of thing. During his travels, he learned how to unleash blasts of pure, undiluted magic with unpredictable effects - often turning the tide of battle at crucial moments. His companions were quite pleased with this ability. Unfortunately, since he had become so powerful so quickly, his companions felt that they would only hold him back from obtaining even greater power. The cheered him on as he left, waving and saluting him with their weapons.

Sometimes when fighting or just mucking about, Jalsgrim would use his power to unleash undiluted magic - only to find himself instantly transported to completely different places, sometimes even to completely different planes of existence! After one such transportation, he found himself in a strange place with violent elemental storms and giant frog people constantly chasing him around. It was great fun and he decided that this place would be a perfect place to make his new home.

McClintock
2008-06-17, 09:18 AM
Aeric, (2e) Athasian halfling psion/bard (DM let me do it) - he started in the arena with the rest of his party and pulled two of the best tricks ever.
1: In the arena, he was getting his butt beat down so he rolled with a glancing hit and stayed down. The enemy walked away from him to attack someone else, so he jumped up the next round and backstabbed him. The DM congratulated me on a great tactic, then assured me it would NOT work again.

2: We had finally gotten out of the arena, and were around level 7 or 8, we were very road weary and in no shape to take on a fight. Across the dessert we could see about 20 raiders coming at us, I looked to the rest of our party: A Mul Kensai, An Elven Ranger, A 1/2 Giant Gladiator, and a Thri-kreen Fighter (my "mount"), and decided to try to scare them off myself. (For those of you that do not know, Athasian Halflings are carnivorous wild creatures that many fear)

I had just gotten a new power I was itching to try out, so I ran to the top of a dune a screamed at the top of my lungs that we would suck the marrow from their bones, come to your death. While I was yelling this, I used my obsidian dagger to slash my chest. You see, the power I had just gotten was poison simulation, which allowed me to simulate poison in my body fluids. I think it was meant to be a spittle thing, but I felt it would be easier to coat the blade in my blood.

The DM chuckled and rolled a morale check, the entire group of raiders rode off into the dessert. That group managed to survive to become the action hand of an avangion.

valadil
2008-06-17, 03:29 PM
I'm gonna take a cop out and post two characters. Reason being, one of them was memorable for me to play while the other was more memorable for the players watching.

Raoul C. Chesterfield III was the cover identity for a Host Tower spy who was to report on a group of do-gooder PCs. He was the ultimate scoundrel character. I actually kept 3 separate journals for him - Raoul's journal that he kept in game that the party could see, a separate journal for his dealings with the host tower, and his own internal journal for the poor kid who accidentally got caught up in spy business. He really didn't want to be a spy, you see, but the arcane brotherhood was quite threatening. Between me and the DM, the rest of the game was just a background, the real story was whether Raoul would betray the host tower or his friends. In the end he chose the host tower.

Raoul had some fun shenanigans. He was a bard rogue, and none too optimized. But the GM gave out roleplaying and journaling XP, and he was often several levels beyond the next highest party member. He gained a new title or nickname each game (by the end it took him 5 minutes to introduce himself fully). But the best thing about Raoul was that I got so into the character that I could have conversations as Raoul that I couldn't as myself. There was a lot of innuendo and doubletalk between me and the DM that the players never picked up on. I've played scoundrels since then, but never quite duplicated that.

Wittenberg came soon after Raoul. He was a cloistered cleric who dabbled in the arcane. Mechanically this meant that he used Anyspell quite liberally and had domain spontaneity for the force domain. I've always liked how powerful wizards go insane. I figured that with this dabbling, but without any proper arcane training, Wittenberg's decent to madness would go much quicker than usual. Idolizing wizards, he started the game pretending to be a wizard, just to see if he could get away with it without the party noticing. They didn't, so he kept up the charade. When he had to heal other players in combat he'd slap them with a wand, and roll a bluff check while casting the spell. They always thought he was wand healing. The players also woke up with their wounds healed after his night shifts. None of them caught on that he was healing them. He grew obsessed with wizards, and tried to evict and murder the group's sorcerer. He even kept a familiar. Almost all his sentences were punctuated with "because I am a wizard." Eventually he wandered away from the party to talk to the trees.

I liked him for a couple reasons. It was a fun concept. I liked having a catchphrase. I really liked having the other players join in when I spoke the catchphrase. Most importantly though, the character didn't start out crazy, he went crazy. Anyone can decide their character talks to trees. My character started out a little loopy and over the course of the game talking to trees became a good idea to him. He was the only character I had who had to be retired from the party and sent away for emotional counseling.

Kobold-Bard
2008-06-19, 02:58 AM
My first ever character was and still is my favourite.
It takes me a while of playing the character to get truly creative with backstory so he was Bob, the chaotic neutral cleric of Olidamarra. One of the DMPCs was a humanoid wolf Drunken Master so I spent a lot of my time getting tanked with him in the name of my faith. He was made even better by the fact that the druid in our team was more than willing to take care of the healing duties, leaving my precious spell slots free for flashy bang spells, which was useful considering the party was made up of me, a ranger and the druid.
However what makes him a truly memorable character was when the DM shot us from 6th to 20th level as we only had one session left and he gained the ability to cast Maximised Flame Strike, to date I have yet to find a more brilliant spell. He then thought it would be a good idea to set us up against Tiamat and Sephiroth at the same time for a grand finally. In the first turn Tiamat Finger of Deathed the ranger and Sephiroth dropped every negative status imaginable on the druid. However thanks to a Miracle cast that morning the Mighty Bob in (technically) one turn cast a Quickened, Maximised Time Stop, revived the ranger, healed the druid, set a Maximised Flame Strike above each of them and cast another Miracle exchanging so much experience he died for their HPs to be dropped to 1 each. When time unfroze it was truly a glorious scene followed by the death of supreme beings.
While the DM was kind of annoyed I was able to do all this(his fault for letting me succeed on all Miracles as long as I pay enough EXP) he was so imppressed with my ingenuity that he made Bob a God in Tiamats Place.