PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Mastermind Questions

Thorn14
2008-06-15, 04:20 PM
I recently got into M&M and decided that I will GM a game. (because I dont know anyone else who would GM, oh well.)

But I still have some questions.

If I want variations of powers with extras, would I just take alternate power of blast with the alternate power of say, cone?

For example if I had blast which was a straight line, and then the alternate power of blast but with the extra on it, would that be fine? Or do I need to purchase blast again?

Also, if I wanted a character who used guns but was actually useful, should I take a device with a high blast rating, or just take blast and assume i'm using a gun?

Sorry for all the questions, thank you.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-15, 04:58 PM
That's exactly how alternate power is supposed to be used, yes; I'm pretty sure Blast is one of the powers given as an example. Most powerful energy-wielder superheroes you can think of would have multiple alternate powers for their Blast; maybe you have the standard blast,

Remember, though, that the cost of the alternate power can't be higher than the cost of the base power (not including the Alternate Power feats, but including - I believe - other power feats). So a Blast 10 with Blast Cone or Blast Explosion or Homing Blast as alternate powers will probably have a those alternate powers at lower levels - which works out quite nicely.

As far as I know, there's never any reason to have multiple instances of Blast.

There's no limitations on what you can have as alternate powers to what, and how many of them you can have, other than your points (each new alternate power requires the power feat) and your Referee, who has to very actively check and moderate characters (since many powers are abusable or very inappropriate for PCs, like Duplicate with certain extras). Just remember that you can't ever use power and its alternate power at the same time, or two alternate powers of the same power at the same time (so if both your Mind Shield and your Mind Control are alternate powers of your Telepathy, you can't use any of them at the same time; this is most significant with duration powers, and completely irrelevant with attack powers like Blast) - unless, of course, you have dynamic alternate powers (which get to be a bit of a hassle, but can be fun; "Guys, I'll have to weaken my telekinetic shield to blast that opponent into a wall! Watch out!").

A gun-using character should probably have a Blast Device, yes, since Device accounts for the fact that the gun can be taken away (of course, if you can keep pulling out guns infinitely, or creating them from your body, or somesuch, you'd just take Blast, since they can't be taken away at all); all the existing guns are Blast devices built as Equipment, so they make good models for guns.

OzymandiasVolt
2008-06-15, 05:13 PM
A gun would definitely be a device, yes. What type depends on how easy it is to remove. If you're just holding a handle, it would be the easy-to-remove kind. If it straps to your forearm or whatever, it would be the hard-to-remove kind.

If you want a variation on a Blast, then yes, taking Alternate Power would be the most efficient. However, Alternate Power allows for the cheap procurement of powers, so you'll probably want to consider carefully when to use it.

Thorn14
2008-06-15, 10:22 PM
That's exactly how alternate power is supposed to be used, yes; I'm pretty sure Blast is one of the powers given as an example. Most powerful energy-wielder superheroes you can think of would have multiple alternate powers for their Blast; maybe you have the standard blast,

Remember, though, that the cost of the alternate power can't be higher than the cost of the base power (not including the Alternate Power feats, but including - I believe - other power feats). So a Blast 10 with Blast Cone or Blast Explosion or Homing Blast as alternate powers will probably have a those alternate powers at lower levels - which works out quite nicely.

As far as I know, there's never any reason to have multiple instances of Blast.

There's no limitations on what you can have as alternate powers to what, and how many of them you can have, other than your points (each new alternate power requires the power feat) and your Referee, who has to very actively check and moderate characters (since many powers are abusable or very inappropriate for PCs, like Duplicate with certain extras). Just remember that you can't ever use power and its alternate power at the same time, or two alternate powers of the same power at the same time (so if both your Mind Shield and your Mind Control are alternate powers of your Telepathy, you can't use any of them at the same time; this is most significant with duration powers, and completely irrelevant with attack powers like Blast) - unless, of course, you have dynamic alternate powers (which get to be a bit of a hassle, but can be fun; "Guys, I'll have to weaken my telekinetic shield to blast that opponent into a wall! Watch out!").

A gun-using character should probably have a Blast Device, yes, since Device accounts for the fact that the gun can be taken away (of course, if you can keep pulling out guns infinitely, or creating them from your body, or somesuch, you'd just take Blast, since they can't be taken away at all); all the existing guns are Blast devices built as Equipment, so they make good models for guns.

Thanks alot :)

The powers being weaker makes sense though.

Also, can devices have the statso f a gun but more power powerful? Like have its range and such? Or do I need to adjust that like I would powers?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-16, 06:41 AM
Also, can devices have the statso f a gun but more power powerful? Like have its range and such? Or do I need to adjust that like I would powers?

Like I said, all guns are already built with powers; they're Devices with the Blast power and some mods, but as Equipment (which means they have certain limitations).

A submachinegun is an Autofire Blast 5 or somesuch, so making a more poweful submachinegun you'd create, say, a Device with the power Autofire Blast 10.

I'd give more precise examples, but unfortunately I don't have my books.

Oh, and just to check, this is M&M 2E, not 1E, right? The editions are very different.

Pauwel
2008-06-16, 07:34 AM
One thing of note about gunslingers is that buying the power to shoot things effectively with a gun as a Device power really means that you can only use your own particular gun more effectively than a normal gun; essentially, it's be a super gun, while any other gun you might pick up would still have its normal Blast rating.
For this reason I normally build gunslinger characters whose ability to do great damage comes from ability with a variety of weapons as having a Blast Array with the Drawback Power Loss: When No Gun is Available. Hell, it'd be even better as a complication; as long as your guns aren't taken away from you, what's the difference between a gun doing +8 Damage and an energy-based Blast 8 mutant power?

Bluelantern
2008-06-16, 09:47 AM
Sorry to take over the thread, but well... I am going to play in a MM setting too, and I was thinking in doing a kinda of Energy Controler/"Green Lantern" but with powers based on darkness. The powers that I think that fit the character are: Alternate Form (Shadow), Create object,Force Field, flight, control darkness and maybe blast . My questions are:

How usefull Alternate Form (shadow) and Create objects would be for my character?

Any other tips or superpowers?

Pauwel
2008-06-17, 05:13 AM
Sorry to take over the thread, but well... I am going to play in a MM setting too, and I was thinking in doing a kinda of Energy Controler/"Green Lantern" but with powers based on darkness. The powers that I think that fit the character are: Alternate Form (Shadow), Create object,Force Field, flight, control darkness and maybe blast . My questions are:

How usefull Alternate Form (shadow) and Create objects would be for my character?

Any other tips or superpowers?

Creat Object is a very flexible power; many things can be done with it if you're creative. Go for it, I say; it shouldn't be hard to squeeze into your build if you just add it as part of an array (which should probably also include Blast and Darkness Control). You definitely do want to have Blast, as it's always good to have a purely offensive power.

About Alternate Form: Remember that the listed Shadow Form is only an example power; If I were you I'd just build my own Alternate Form and call it Shadow Form. It's always better to choose exactly what you want, in my opinion.
Do remember that if you buy Insubstantial 4 for you Alternate Form, you will have to get the Affects Corporeal extra for all those powers you want to be able to use while still Insubstantial. I'd just go with Insubstantial 3 or 2 myself, but as always with M&M, it's your choice.

Other than that, you seem to have a fine selection of powers as is. Remember that you can always power stunt other shadow powers should you need them.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-17, 06:07 AM
Power Stunt is the bomb.

Incidentally, it would also work for a Blast-gunslinger. Spend an action point to get a power feat - Alternate Power - and make it an Explosion Blast: you had a grenade along!

Be sure to calculate the point costs of various weapons you might want to Power Stunt during play ahead of time, so you don't bog down play. The existing equipment give precise ideas of how to model various weaponry.

Thorn14
2008-06-17, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys :D

Now, 2 more questiosn I have.

2 players I want to play with are having scheduling problems, and i'm a newbie GM.

I have 2 options, play with just 4 players and omit the veteren player (my friend takes priority)

OR

I could try to combine the story with 2 teams of 3, Team A and Team B, with players whose times match.

I'm told that might be over my head though, what do you think?

Also? What is a power stunt? (this is 2e btw)

Bluelantern
2008-06-17, 08:38 PM
I am using the Energy Controler build as a bases, At the moment I calling him the "Nigth Lord". I don't think I will have Alternate Form.

64 power points on powers (same as the EC build)

Control Darkness 12 (Alternate Powers of Creating Shadow Constructs and Blast) is my radius of darkness suposed to be 25.000ft? O.o??

Blast 12

Creat Shadow 5 Movable and Durable, with the power feats precise, stationary and Progressionx2, I am assuming that this means that I can have a shadow object the size of five cubes each one has a 25ft edge.
Dark-Vision

Imunity to disease, poison, starvation and sleep, I am assumin that this equals no need to have a house (well, maybe a place to keep my stuff, though) and that I can mostly be a heroe 24/7

Force Field 10 (Impervius)

Flight 6

So what you guys think?

I have some question for advice:

first, since I can create plataforms to me, would you guys advise that I reduce Flight (so I can at least hoover when I am blasting) and invest more in Control Darkness or other powers?

When I use extras and feats on a main power for a alternate power, does those points are also add up for the alternate power "reserve", or only the base rank cost per power level counts? I was thinking in have a reduced Control Darkness level, but adding extras to make it more usefull, mostly I want to add "shapeable" (From the Area modifier) thought I don't know if it is valid for the power.

Being shadows, I asuming that my objects will just look... well dark, but otherwise, how do they will fill to touch and othersenses? Can I create weapons and/or attack with shadows objects moveds? Can I create only a single shadow object or more?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-17, 09:17 PM
2 players I want to play with are having scheduling problems, and i'm a newbie GM.

I have 2 options, play with just 4 players and omit the veteren player (my friend takes priority)

OR

I could try to combine the story with 2 teams of 3, Team A and Team B, with players whose times match.

I'm told that might be over my head though, what do you think?

Either option sounds sensible. 6 players at once is harder to handle than two concurrent but separate campaigns, in my opinion - the more players at the table, the harder it is to get the action to focus on the game.

Also? What is a power stunt? (this is 2e btw)

Check out the rules for Action Points. (Or are they called hero points in M&M? I forget.) By expending one, you can perform a power stunt, giving yourself a power feat for one round. This power feat can be Alternate Power, which lets you improvise your powers. (Technically, you could use power stunt to turn your Blast X into Healing Y, but that's where the GM steps in and says "No." You need to make sure the superheroic stuff people pull makes sense and is consistent, after all.)

You can also gain any other feat for one round this way, I'm fairly sure.

first, since I can create plataforms to me, would you guys advise that I reduce Flight (so I can at least hoover when I am blasting) and invest more in Control Darkness or other powers?

When I use extras and feats on a main power for a alternate power, does those points are also add up for the alternate power "reserve", or only the base rank cost per power level counts? I was thinking in have a reduced Control Darkness level, but adding extras to make it more usefull, mostly I want to add "shapeable" (From the Area modifier) thought I don't know if it is valid for the power.

Being shadows, I asuming that my objects will just look... well dark, but otherwise, how do they will fill to touch and othersenses? Can I create weapons and/or attack with shadows objects moveds? Can I create only a single shadow object or more?

If you want to be able to fly by standing on a platform, I think there's options on the Flight power to model that. Make it an alternate power of Create Shadow to save points (basically, creating a flying platform of shadow requires your powers of shadow and prevents you from creating other shadow objects).

Alternate Powers use entire point value of the main power, including feats and extras, but excepting the Alternate Power feat itself (or feats themselves).

The last questions are pretty specific, and I don't have my rulebook. I suggest carefully reading the power description, and if you can get your hands on the supplement on powers (I forget the drat name), check that, too - it's a bit advanced but absolutely excellent for crafting your own powers.

Pauwel
2008-06-19, 07:23 AM
Control Darkness 12 (Alternate Powers of Creating Shadow Constructs and Blast) is my radius of darkness suposed to be 25.000ft? O.o??

Yes. =P
Since you also have dark-vision, I would consider talking this over with your GM, though. I had a player with just that power-combination once and it caused serious problems, since almost everyone was completely blind.

Creat Shadow 5 Movable and Durable, with the power feats precise, stationary and Progressionx2, I am assuming that this means that I can have a shadow object the size of five cubes each one has a 25ft edge.

With this power, you can create only one object at a time. The object can be as big as 5 cubes, each cube being 25 feet long on each side. Imagine a wall 25 feet thick, 25 feet high and 125 feet long. Each of the objects you create (assuming you only create one object each turn) will be that large.
For a more precise measuring in cubic feet, each object could be up to 5*25^3 = 78,125 cubic feet.

Imunity to disease, poison, starvation and sleep, I am assumin that this equals no need to have a house (well, maybe a place to keep my stuff, though) and that I can mostly be a heroe 24/7

Basically, yes. Your character might still freeze or get heatstrokes depending on the settting and season.

So what you guys think?

Seems fine to me. Do consider carefully the effect you might have on the campaign if you do go through with both Darkness Control and Darkvision.

I have some question for advice:

If all you want to do is fly around in combat, there's no real reason for having more than say, Flight 3 or 4.
One thing I'd definitely suggest is to use the Platform flaw from Ultimate Power. Basically, it's a -1 Flaw that means that your flight is powered by you flying on a platform. If anyone grapples you or makes you suffer knockback, though, you're knocked off the platform and can't fly until you make a new one (requiring a move action).

The extras, feats, flaws and drawbacks of the main power in an array all count in determing the possible cost of your alternate powers. You always use the final, absolute cost of a power.
In this particular case, however, you can't technically make Darkness Control shapable, as it's not actually an Area power. If you could tell me exactly what you want to do with this power, I can try and model it in some other way.

Being shadows, I asuming that my objects will just look... well dark, but otherwise, how do they will fill to touch and othersenses?

However you want to. No reason for the game to dictate what wouldn't really matter mechanically anyway (unless it would, of course; if you want the shadows to have any specific effect on those who might touch them or whatever, you'd have to make some sort of linked power).

Can I create weapons and/or attack with shadows objects moveds?

You can throw them as you would throw an object with Telekinesis, but other than that, not really. They'd also count as improvised weapons if someone used them as clubs.
You could describe your blast as throwing shadow constructs at your enemies, though.

Can I create only a single shadow object or more?

As mentioned before, you can only create one object per standard action. Since Create Object has a Sustained Duration, there's nothing stopping you from creating as other objects in later rounds.
If you want to create several objects with one standard action, use split attack.

One last thing about power-stunting: It's actually done with extra effort. In return for a fatigue level, you get the use of any power feat (including alternate power) until the end of the encounter or, in case of alternate power, until you switch back to one of your normal powers in your array.
You can get rid of the fatigue level with a hero point, though.

Bluelantern
2008-06-19, 11:12 AM
I want to be like green latern, using darkness instead of green light, this pretty much gives what I want for my powers. (I don't have a ring though)

Yes. =P
Since you also have dark-vision, I would consider talking this over with your GM, though. I had a player with just that power-combination once and it caused serious problems, since almost everyone was completely blind.

Seems fine to me. Do consider carefully the effect you might have on the campaign if you do go through with both Darkness Control and Darkvision.

In this particular case, however, you can't technically make Darkness Control shapable, as it's not actually an Area power. If you could tell me exactly what you want to do with this power, I can try and model it in some other way.

Actually, my GM will allowed me to add the "Area shapeable" extra, my power will still have the same radius, but I will be able to shape the area of darkness. Also, It will reduce the power to level 8

I am getting it more to have the power array that gives. Also, I am likely to only use the darkness to escape, I got darkvision because... well, most of my powers are shadow depedant so I think it is good replaciment for a lantern...

With this power, you can create only one object at a time. The object can be as big as 5 cubes, each cube being 25 feet long on each side. Imagine a wall 25 feet thick, 25 feet high and 125 feet long. Each of the objects you create (assuming you only create one object each turn) will be that large.
For a more precise measuring in cubic feet, each object could be up to 5*25^3 = 78,125 cubic feet.

You can throw them as you would throw an object with Telekinesis, but other than that, not really. They'd also count as improvised weapons if someone used them as clubs.
You could describe your blast as throwing shadow constructs at your enemies, though.

As mentioned before, you can only create one object per standard action. Since Create Object has a Sustained Duration, there's nothing stopping you from creating as other objects in later rounds.
If you want to create several objects with one standard action, use split attack.

Like I said, I want to create shdaow stuff like green lanterns, I was actually think that at times I would represent my power as if stuff like boxer gloves or missiles.

I suppose that the precise feat don't add anything to the kind of damage it may cause? (at least be able to create sharp weapons and stuff).

Basically, yes. Your character might still freeze or get heatstrokes depending on the settting and season.

okay, my GM also allowed us to have simple HQ.

I am suspecting that he will propably give us the Teen Titans Tower. Literally, he is a fan.

If all you want to do is fly around in combat, there's no real reason for having more than say, Flight 3 or 4.
One thing I'd definitely suggest is to use the Platform flaw from Ultimate Power. Basically, it's a -1 Flaw that means that your flight is powered by you flying on a platform. If anyone grapples you or makes you suffer knockback, though, you're knocked off the platform and can't fly until you make a new one (requiring a move action).

Gonna consider it. I think I use the plataform more as a visual idea (and maybe sometimes *have* a Metron-like chair).

Also, I am going to take a point from a feat (all-out-attack) or the skills (profession 4), the feat does not really suit the character personality that well (he is sort of cautious) and the skill Profession is well... I want to be 24/7 hero xP

I would than get ESP 4 (subtle) and Teleport 3 (portal, accurate, change of direction, change of speed and easy). What you guys think?

Also, I am turning my character in to a male Raven?

Pauwel
2008-06-20, 09:46 AM
I want to be like green latern, using darkness instead of green light, this pretty much gives what I want for my powers. (I don't have a ring though)

In that case, the only thing I see you missing is Telekinesis and possibly Summon Minion.
Always remember that you can power stunt new powers.

Actually, my GM will allowed me to add the "Area shapeable" extra, my power will still have the same radius, but I will be able to shape the area of darkness. Also, It will reduce the power to level 8

Perfect, then.

I am getting it more to have the power array that gives.

You have to understand that the alternate powers listed beneath Darkness Control are only examples. They are only suggestions; your actual array can consist of any power you would like; the only restriction is that the price of each alternate power can't be higher than the price of your base power.

If you don't actually want to make a huge area pitch black so no one can see, just don't buy Darkness Control and stick to the other powers in the array.

Also, I am likely to only use the darkness to escape, I got darkvision because... well, most of my powers are shadow depedant so I think it is good replaciment for a lantern...

That is perfectly fine, then. Responsible use of powers can make a game much better.

Like I said, I want to create shdaow stuff like green lanterns, I was actually think that at times I would represent my power as if stuff like boxer gloves or missiles.

I suppose that the precise feat don't add anything to the kind of damage it may cause? (at least be able to create sharp weapons and stuff).

The most important thing to understand about Mutants and Masterminds is that it is an effects-based system. Each power is a generic effect that could be described in many different ways. Therefore, to create weapons more effective than improvised weapons, you would have to purchase or power stunt an effect that allows you to cause damage to someone. You have a Blast power, which does just that; describe the Blast power alternately as flinging energy at someone and as stabbing them from afar with shadow weapons.
In case you wish to give a shadow weapon to someone else... I'd allow a Strike (Affects Others +0) as a power stunt to give someone a shadow weapon.

Everytime you imagine doing something with your Create Shadows objects other than creating objects for either protection (cover, walls, etc.), some sort of utility (bridge, stairs, etc.) or something equally simple, everytime it has some sort of specific effect other than the ones specifically mentioned in the power description, you have to model it with some other effect.
Of course the power still has some flexibility; with Precise, many things can be accomplished with create object. Just keep in mind than whenever you want to do something with your power that is covered by some other power (could be Dazzle, Stun, Strike, Blast and many other things), you will have to use that power instead, either through the alternate power feat or through power stunting.

Also, I am going to take a point from a feat (all-out-attack) or the skills (profession 4), the feat does not really suit the character personality that well (he is sort of cautious) and the skill Profession is well... I want to be 24/7 hero xP

I personally never use sample characters, as they feel far too restrictive in their abilities. There's definitely no reason to feel tied down by what abilities (or lack thereof) your sample character has.

I would than get ESP 4 (subtle) and Teleport 3 (portal, accurate, change of direction, change of speed and easy). What you guys think?

Seems fine. What's the ESP about? How does it work?

One thing, though: You can't use portal teleport as an attack. One player tried to do that; it had been the entire point of the build and when we got to the actual game, I had to make him remake the character as it was simply unbalancing for him to transport others high into the air as a free action.
If you want to teleport unwilling beings, you have to use the Attack extra. (possibly with Area as well, since it's a portal).

Also, I am turning my character in to a male Raven?

I've never read or seen Teen Titans, so I can't help you here.

Bluelantern
2008-06-21, 02:07 PM
I am not sure if summon minion would fit the green lantern powers... I guess animate objects could work?? Honestly I don't know o.o

Also, I was thinking in using shadow objects to move stuff in a telekinesis way (with the movable extra).

EDIT:

Raven = Dark Girl with magical powers, except creating shadow objects, she could do pretty much everything, that my characters is doing

ESP = sense stuff from far, in my case hear and see through shadows as a medium.

Pauwel
2008-06-23, 06:53 PM
I am not sure if summon minion would fit the green lantern powers... I guess animate objects could work?? Honestly I don't know o.o

A Summon Minion (Type: Construct +2) should be used for creating solid-light constructs, since they are created from nothing.

Also, I was thinking in using shadow objects to move stuff in a telekinesis way (with the movable extra).

This is exactly the sort of thing I mean when I talk about MnM being an effect-based system. "Moving stuff" is pretty obviously a feat accomplished by using the Telekinesis power, thus you should use Telekinesis.

Bluelantern
2008-06-23, 10:59 PM
My master helped to re-make the character again xP

Now I have Force Field/Teleport, Flight, Darkness Control/Object Creation, Telekinesis, plus some immunities and darkvision xP