PDA

View Full Version : Warshaper + tentacles (no japanese school girls allowed)

toddex
2008-06-15, 04:45 PM
Ok as a druid / warshaper. The way I understand the ruling I can wildshape into a bear and as a move action grow tentacles! Do the tentacles only have my 10 foot reach? If I grow 5 tentacles do I get 5 extra attacks using them? If you were DMing for me, would you allow me to be considered as having improved grab?

Multi attack is more then likely going to be the next feat I pick up.

Worira
2008-06-15, 04:55 PM
Regular reach, although morphic reach will improve that. You can only use one tentacle at a time. Bears may only use improved grab with claw attacks.

toddex
2008-06-15, 05:01 PM
Alright. Honestly I want to be a grapple fiend but I want to avoid being a squid on land. Wonder if warshaper would let me breath on land. Also with warshaper techincally you can make an attack with wings so shouldnt I be able to grow wings?

Worira
2008-06-15, 05:04 PM
You can grow wings, but you can't fly on them.

toddex
2008-06-15, 05:05 PM
Regular reach, although morphic reach will improve that. You can only use one tentacle at a time. Bears may only use improved grab with claw attacks.

Where are you getting this ruling?

I can attack with both claws although at full attack bonus + bite at a -5 can I not? Whats stopping me from doing both claws + bite -5 + tentacles 1,2,3,4,5 all at -5?

toddex
2008-06-15, 05:07 PM
You can grow wings, but you can't fly on them.

Well this im just going to say DM discretion. (You seem like a very unforgiving DM haha.) Lets hope I can run it by my DM and he lets me fly.

Worira
2008-06-15, 05:07 PM
Because then there'd be nothing stopping you from growing 10^80 tentacles and getting 10^80 attacks, and that would be stupid.

toddex
2008-06-15, 05:08 PM
Because then there'd be nothing stopping you from growing 10^80 tentacles and getting 10^80 attacks, and that would be stupid.

So is this just a person ruling or an actual ruling in a book?

Worira
2008-06-15, 05:51 PM
It's a personal ruling, feel free to try to convince your DM you should have 10^80 attacks per round.

toddex
2008-06-15, 06:03 PM
It's a personal ruling, feel free to try to convince your DM you should have 10^80 attacks per round.

Well im not going to be super lame like that hahaha.

I'll talk to him and see about limiting the # down to say con modifier + half your hit die. Or just con modifier + warshaper levels.

Worira
2008-06-15, 06:17 PM
That's still going to get you 10 or more free attacks.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-06-15, 07:43 PM
It's never been errata-ed, but it's also been regarded as a common sense to allow only 1 extra natural attack per warshaper level maximum. Most allow only one though.

Also, flight is an extremely valuable ability that's obviously not meant to be accessed via 1 level of warshaper. It's bordering very dangerously on the munchkinry that you're trying to do here. Very, very closely.

Jack T Robyn
2008-06-15, 08:11 PM
Helluva first post this'll be . . .

Well im not going to be super lame like that hahaha.

I'll talk to him and see about limiting the # down to say con modifier + half your hit die. Or just con modifier + warshaper levels.

I'll take the easy route and just repost my E-mailed reply and clean it up a bit for public viewing.

First off: the only thing I can see that would alow you to grow wings in morphic weapon, and in that case they would be soley for attack, not flight.

Easy part is done.

One peice at a time for the rest:

On the improved grab: Polymorph grants any extraordinary attacks of the form. As a partial polymorph effect, should you take tentacles that have an improved grab effect, I would alow it.
On the reach: as it's as much a factor of the body type of the creature as the limb itself, I'd say no.
On the number. I just found my answer to this one in the last. The ability alows you to grow new weapons, not new limbs. It would transform one or more of your arms into tentacles (or a mess of tentacles, but all still one weapon). The only exception listed to this, and that I would alow, is the Horns for the purpose of Goring.

So there.

To expand on the wings, although it might be considered thematically appropriate, and you can pull it off with Alter Self* alone, the ability makes no mention of growing extra limbs. Should you turn both your arms into wings of the neccessary size, sure, I'd alow it.

*As I read the spell itself, and check the publishing date, I wonder if I am not remembering Alter Self from v3.0...

toddex
2008-06-15, 08:12 PM
It's never been errata-ed, but it's also been regarded as a common sense to allow only 1 extra natural attack per warshaper level maximum. Most allow only one though.

Also, flight is an extremely valuable ability that's obviously not meant to be accessed via 1 level of warshaper. It's bordering very dangerously on the munchkinry that you're trying to do here. Very, very closely.

Quite you my DM reads these boards!!!

Hehehehe.

toddex
2008-06-15, 08:21 PM
Helluva first post this'll be . . .

I'll take the easy route and just repost my E-mailed reply and clean it up a bit for public viewing.

To expand on the wings, although it might be considered thematically appropriate, and you can pull it off with Alter Self* alone, the ability makes no mention of growing extra limbs. Should you turn both your arms into wings of the neccessary size, sure, I'd alow it.

*As I read the spell itself, and check the publishing date, I wonder if I am not remembering Alter Self from v3.0...

Lmao curse you!!!! I'll take your ruling on it.

Arms into wings thing. I am stealing that idea. Pseudo harpy hehehehe

Bag_of_Holding
2008-06-15, 08:41 PM
And they played happily ever after... :smallbiggrin:

Khanderas
2008-06-16, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by Worira
So is this just a person ruling or an actual ruling in a book?
Well, it may or may not be his own ruling on it, but it is still stupid and should not be attempted :smallwink: