PDA

View Full Version : Dear 4e Players

Brickwall
2008-06-15, 04:51 PM
{Scrubbed}

Riva
2008-06-15, 05:00 PM
Chill mate, chill. Fourth edition is sufficiently different to be its own game, so just call the people telling you to update stupid and ignore them afterwards.

I'm excited about fourth edition personally, but I can accept your stance on the matter. So go on, wreck some imaginary economys with masterwork iron daggers for us.

Just have fun =D

marjan
2008-06-15, 05:16 PM
I must ask you something: Who are those people who are telling you to convert? I can say that I am interested in debating things about 4e and so far I haven't seen anyone saying things like that on these boards (I mostly hang around gaming section so that might be the reason).

As for the matter at hand, I'll offer you advice: Ignore. Seriously, people that want you to think their way just because it's their way are not worth attention. Though I must say that there are people who just want to express their opinion, but don't know how to do it properly and therefore sound more provoking than they want to.

Dan_Hemmens
2008-06-15, 05:21 PM
As marjan says, I'm genuinely uncertain who is saying you should convert to 4E.

It was, and is, a great system. You guys all played it, and you enjoyed it.

Speaking personally, I didn't play it, I didn't enjoy it, I thought it was an awful system.

I actually like 4E, however.

Hzurr
2008-06-15, 05:28 PM
I echo what was said by marjan. People who insist that you switch over to their system even if you're happy and enjoying what you have should be ignored.

However, I actually see this kindof "Your system is dumb, switch to mine" thing happening on both sides of the fence. It's difficult to read through an entire 4e thread without seeing at least one person saying something to the effect of "YOU PICKED A DUMB SYSTEM 3.5 IS BETTER LOL!" or simply posting pictures of the 3.5 edition books when someone asks for advice on how to deal with a 4e issue. In general, people suck, and you have to learn who to ignore.

But yeah, play the system you enjoy. Isn't the point of games to have fun? If you are having fun, that means you're doing it correctly, regardless of what system.

---Edit--
Err...I'm not sure what's going on in the post below me. I'm assuming sarcasm, but I've been fooled before. :smallsmile:

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-15, 05:29 PM
Stop playing D&D and start playing better games, you filthy, stinking heathens!

Tomorrow, I'll break into each and every one of your houses, find out if you're still playing D&D, and kick your asses as necessary.

Arlanthe
2008-06-15, 05:55 PM
Chill mate, chill. Fourth edition is sufficiently different to be its own game, so just call the people telling you to update stupid and ignore them afterwards.

That's what my gaming group decided. We chose to as a group purchase one set of the core books between all of us, plus the adventure module. (Normally we all buy all of the core books for systems).

Then to stomach it, we decided to pretend it was a different game to rationalize spending the money on it and diverting ourselves from our well developed 3.5 campaign world and detailed characters using the broad rules of the system.

(Or, as one of my crew put it, "It's like prison sex- just close your eyes and pretend...")

In the end, we decided we didn't like it. It doesn't suit our style- my players build keeps, craft items, keep pages of notes and customized spellbooks, and as the DM I weave many languages, skills, factions, and power groups, etc. into a world I like to see as rich and full of options.

I really can't help (in my humble opinion) that 4E is way to simple and streamlined. I also understand a lot of people like that kind of thing, and don't want to have to deal with options and options within options. They like a set menu with a few items, and enjoy those over and over. That's fine. But they are certainly widely different games, and we prefer the additional complexity and mroe numerous options for gaming.

Thinker
2008-06-15, 05:59 PM
I think you should upgrade to 4e. Just send me your 3.5 books first and I'll dispose of them properly.

Ralfarius
2008-06-15, 06:39 PM
Stop playing D&D and start playing better games, you filthy, stinking heathens!

Tomorrow, I'll break into each and every one of your houses, find out if you're still playing D&D, and kick your asses as necessary.
Thread over.

Charity
2008-06-15, 07:01 PM
All in favour of Brickwall trying 4e say Aye!

Seriously Brick, did you imagine this would help in some fashion?

EvilElitest
2008-06-15, 07:03 PM
I think you should upgrade to 4e. Just send me your 3.5 books first and I'll dispose of them properly.

i hope that is sarcasim
from
EE

JaxGaret
2008-06-15, 07:13 PM
First of all, I would like to say congratulations! For what? Why, for finding a system you seem to thoroughly enjoy.

Thanks.

Sure, there are apparently problems

Indeed, but overall, so far, I prefer the system to 3e by a fair margin; only time will tell.

, but from the outside, it appears that everyone loves 4th edition so much, they'll never play 3.x ever again. Ever.

This is so ridiculous of a statement, and obviously baiting, so I'll just leave it alone.

But I never take it upon myself to tell people to play games they've already decided they don't like. If someone tells me they don't play 3.x, fine. I won't ask them to. Yes, it bothers me if I can't find a single person to play a good game with me, but there are other systems I enjoy, like Exalted and WoD and Shadowrun and Wushu, and there are probably a ton more I haven't gotten to try yet. I won't be starved of gaming (at least, not for that reason). That is not the reason I write this post. Please, enjoy your game. I haven't gotten to read it, but it sounds like a really fun system. So, you might be asking, Brickwall, why are you wasting our time with another long, rambling post? Well, I'll tell you.

STOP TELLING ME WHAT GAMES TO PLAY! Seriously, stop it! I haven't purchased or downloaded or even read any 4th edition books yet. I probably will someday, and you know what? It's likely that I'll think they're quite fine. But at this point, I do not feel like picking the game up. And I happen to like 3.5e. It was, and is, a great system. You guys all played it, and you enjoyed it. There are some elements of 3.5e that I like, and that I know 4e doesn't have. I want to play that game. So when I want to play a game in a system that I've played in for years, stop telling me to convert. Stop insulting me for liking a system that has been "updated". I still see people playing SECOND edition, and you know what? That's fine. They like it. I don't, but I've never asked them to stop enjoying it just so they can learn the system I'm familiar with. And you should do the same. Seriously. Maybe, just maybe, all I want to do is play D&D without deciding if my wizard follows "the path of the rod" or not (I know that's not how they say it, but the real version isn't much less annoying). Maybe I don't want to work out a new set of houserules just to balance out ANOTHER "almost playable" system. I want to play my fun game. If you don't want to play, fine. Then get away from my gaming table. Don't sit down and tell me to play something else.

Honestly, maybe my impression is wrong. Maybe 99% of 4e players do leave well enough along, and only 1% of them are big enough jerks to come over and bug me. If you're one of the players who doesn't bug non-4ers, good for you. Keep on being. If you're one of the 4e players who DOES bug people like me, read this post over and over until you drill it into your thick, useless skull, and learn not to be so much of a waste of carbon.

Where is all this anger coming from? What incidents specifically are you referring to?

Could you link please?

Brickwall
2008-06-15, 08:12 PM
You want to see it in action? Try starting up a 3.5 game or a non-SAGA Star Wars game on the boards, first of all. Happens every time...

JaxGaret
2008-06-15, 08:45 PM
You want to see it in action? Try starting up a 3.5 game or a non-SAGA Star Wars game on the boards, first of all. Happens every time...

Ah. I never pbp, so I wouldn't know about that.

My experience has been more along the lines of anti-4e posters posting stuff like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83305).

FoE
2008-06-15, 10:09 PM
Honestly, Brickwall, I don't quite get where you're coming from. I don't hang around the Play-by-Post sub-forums, but from what I've observed in the Gaming sub-forum, the staunchest 4E critics are just as zealous as its most ardent supporters.

I think the important thing to remember is it's just a game and to avoid treating it as Serious Business.

Bleen
2008-06-15, 10:17 PM
People on both sides are doing this; it's not just the 4e players who are crapping on the 3.5ed players' parade. It's just more apparent when the 4ed players do it because the pro-4ed side are a lot more numerous than the anti-4ed side.

I fail to see how this only applies to one side of the fence and don't take kindly to being accused exclusively to a crime everyone against me is also committing.

Edit:

Now, looking at the PbP posts you're referring to, yeah, those are definitely stupid and need to stop. No need to start threadcrapping all over someone's recruitment, that's just wrong. Can't say anything nice, etc, etc.

Roland St. Jude
2008-06-15, 11:14 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please report violations of the Forum Rules. Please do not start flaming and trolling.