View Full Version : OOTS #566 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2008-06-15, 05:28 PM
New comic is up.

Project_Mayhem
2008-06-15, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Belkar totally picked the wrong audience for that one.:smalltongue:

Great strip; the plot thickens

Edit: I have now truely earned my ninja credentials.

BooTheHamster
Ha. Awesome. I love Belkar's teamwork.

Great as always.

Jonathan327
Haha, team first.

Yay Belkster.

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-15, 05:35 PM
Oh Belkar, always thinking of the team.
Too bad all of their hopes for Roy were dashed! Not that I really expected such a quick fix as the oracle.

Yendor
2008-06-15, 05:51 PM
Orrie's not a cleric. There's a surprise.

Wonder if Roy gets a consultation? And will he be affected by the memory charm?

Oregano
HAHA, Good ol' Belkar, never change.

Roy's Yo Momma jokes were also hilarious.

Behold_the_Void
I like how even Roy was glaring at Belkar for that one.

T-O-E
2008-06-15, 05:52 PM
As always, great comic. Let's hope we can get some answers out of the oracle.

Edan
2008-06-15, 05:52 PM
So much for hoping the Oracle would resurrect Roy, although the Yo Momma Jokes were priceless.

So, is Belkar talking from personal experience here or is this a hypothetical situation.

ref
2008-06-15, 05:54 PM
Yay! It updated while I was here!

And that Belkar, always stealing the strip. Belkar is Scrappy.

Blaznak
2008-06-15, 05:57 PM
...and the "trudgery" continues. At least its fun!

Frictional
2008-06-15, 05:58 PM
So... but, if they'd need to earn the money for the resurrect, won't they also need to earn the money for their questions?

Or are we just assuming they have a little money and can afford questions.

Aerysil
2008-06-15, 06:02 PM
Hmm, maybe Belkar is Chaotic Neutral after all.

RTGoodman
2008-06-15, 06:02 PM
I demand answers! I've got at least 5 friends turning 18 or 21 in the next three or so months, and we all need our arms, too!

Grey Watcher
2008-06-15, 06:03 PM
So... but, if they'd need to earn the money for the resurrect, won't they also need to earn the money for their questions?

Maybe the Oracle is on a Pay What You Can system. Meaning he'd rather have too little money up front than wait for them to go get more. Plus, I doubt they'd be able to earn any money, so they'd leave the Valley, forget everything (since they didn't ask any questions to remember the answers to), and go off without paying the Oracle a copper piece.

chiasaur11
2008-06-15, 06:06 PM
Huh. The people who said he wasn't a Cleric were right. And Belkar has an unexpected, but very useful (to him) question.

Also: 3 updates this week! YAY!

nimby
2008-06-15, 06:10 PM
He's an oracle. They can say they'll pay up later and he'll check if they're good for it, -then- give them answers.

Whether the answers are correct will depend on them actually coming back to pay him later.

hajo
2008-06-15, 06:12 PM
Too bad all of their hopes for Roy were dashed!
Hey, Julia deserves some action and spotlight, too !

Lira
2008-06-15, 06:16 PM
I didn't know Roy was the type to tell "yo mamma" jokes. Still, very funny. :smallbiggrin:

SteveMB
2008-06-15, 06:18 PM
He's an oracle. They can say they'll pay up later and he'll check if they're good for it, -then- give them answers.

He already rejected (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0330.html) that approach.

B.I.T.T.
2008-06-15, 06:32 PM
Wow, sound logic coming from Belkar, and Yo Momma jokes coming from Roy. The world has gone mad. MAD!

What do you guys want to be that the oracle actually could hear Roy, but was ignoring him because ghosts don't have money?

Gamerlord
2008-06-15, 06:35 PM
I don't see whats so funny and roys yo mama jokes are lame but nice to see Belkar has at least ONE fear.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-15, 06:36 PM
What do you guys want to be that the oracle actually could hear Roy, but was ignoring him because ghosts don't have money?

...and just as Roy starts to leave, he notifies him of that by zinging Roy with a Yo Mama joke of his own.

Lycar
2008-06-15, 06:36 PM
Hehe.... that one was definitly worth staying up late.

Movement rate: Hell, no! Priceless ! :smallbiggrin:

And do we even want to know about kobold dust ? :smallamused:

Lycar

The Gremlin
2008-06-15, 06:37 PM
Huh. So it stands to reason that if my prediction comes true (Xykon and Redcloak come to the Oracle and either refuse to pay or try to cheat and have each of their soldiers ask a question, and the Oracle refuses to help them and teleports away with his cleric magic)was incorrect. If the first half was right, the poor Oracle's a goner. :smallfrown:

gamerboy6000
2008-06-15, 06:42 PM
I wonder if he'll tell them that V tried to contact them.

Atomsized
2008-06-15, 06:44 PM
Heheh, Belkar is Belkar

Nice comic Giant :smallwink:

Red XIV
2008-06-15, 06:46 PM
Does the Test of Heart undead guy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0328.html) count as a cleric?

Tykus
2008-06-15, 06:49 PM
Yay! I get a post within the 1st 50!

I didn't know Roy was into those jokes either. And I loved the Beowulf movie reference.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-06-15, 06:56 PM
So they'll forget that the thing cant res him? They're gonna be visiting the oracle over and over and over again ...

SteveMB
2008-06-15, 07:02 PM
The world has gone mad. MAD!

Hey, I told you that publishing Vaarsuvius' secrets on the Net was a bad idea, but did you listen? Noooo.... :smallwink:

David Argall
2008-06-15, 07:09 PM
That would be my preference, but he seems to be doing a really good job of ignoring Roy. He ought to be able to "see" Roy one way or another. Note his ability to "hear" what Haley was saying. So he can look at this volume when it gets collected and see Roy. I can think of a number of good gags that way, and right now the Oracle jokes seems to be running a bit thin.

The pictured sacks of goodies suggest the cost of a question is less than a Ressurection spell, so they could have the needed riches. Still... The agony of having to pay an alternate way has definite plot potential. I think they will need to.

HOLEkevin
2008-06-15, 07:13 PM
You see? Belkar's heart really IS in the right place.

ref
2008-06-15, 07:39 PM
Yay! It updated while I was here!

And that Belkar, always stealing the strip. Belkar is Scrappy.

dogmac
2008-06-15, 07:40 PM
Aww, that Belkar. Always thinking of others.

disorder
2008-06-15, 07:58 PM
Aww, that Belkar. Always thinking of others.
Hey, he is.

(He's thinking of groping others, but technically, this still counts.)

rosebud
2008-06-15, 08:01 PM
I was still hoping Mr. Scruffy would get a question in. :smallsmile:

The Extinguisher
2008-06-15, 08:02 PM
Wow, sound logic coming from Belkar, and Yo Momma jokes coming from Roy. The world has gone mad. MAD!

I had that excat same thought.

...Get out of my head :smalleek:

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-06-15, 08:06 PM
He he, I hope that he tells them all of the ways that they *could* have contacted V and D, if only they had realized it... Hayley's face when she finds out about the tasty tropical feathered morsels would be priceless....

dish
2008-06-15, 08:17 PM
Have to confess the urge to shout, 'Oh get on with it then!' at the screen today.

Is there such a thing as kobold dust?

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-06-15, 08:33 PM
I liked this one. I didn't think the Oracle would be able to raise Roy. That just seemed really fishy to me. Too easy. From here...it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I LOL'd at the "Yo mama" jokes.

SteveMB
2008-06-15, 08:36 PM
Is there such a thing as kobold dust?

Yes, but it's indistinguishable (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html) from dragon dust, human dust, halfling dust, or dwarf dust.

Szilard
2008-06-15, 08:47 PM
Loved the Yo Momma jokes.:smallbiggrin:

JohnnyPsycho
2008-06-15, 09:12 PM
HA! I just knew it wasn't going to be as easy and just dragging Roy's mouldering bones to the oracle. Where would be the fun in that, amiright?

The "kobold dust" comment gave me a chuckle personally due to my own experiences with "pixie dust" in my old Hackmaster campaign... we had a Pixie-Fairie Mage in the party who explained to us that pixie-fairies don't poop or sweat like most beings, being fae, so "pixie-dust" was basically pixie excrement and skin flakes. That made it more disturbing when she explained that, besides the magical properties, pixie-dust was often pressed into coins and used as currency in Pixie-Fairie society. How much of that her player got from the Hackmaster Pixie-Fairie guide and how much she was making up didn't matter, we were all pretty grossed-out/amused.

If kobolds excreted their wastes in the same way... :smallyuk:

dragongirl13
2008-06-15, 09:19 PM
LOL XD

What's with all the "yo mama" jokes? Those are really rude! I hear those all the time at school!

Heh, love the Beowulf reference.

I hope I get to see the look on Haley's face when she gets told she shot the birds that V had enchanted to carry a message to her and ate one.

Tar Palantir
2008-06-15, 09:48 PM
I can see the joke already: "Guess what, redhead, you actually shot the messenger!"

Not a bad comic, anything with Belkar in good form is alright in my book.

LordSintax
2008-06-15, 10:11 PM
heh. Beowulf. wonder how many people on here GOT that reference. i mean we ARE internet AND d&d geeks, but still.

and again, Belkar cuts through the crap and gets answers so the questions we REALLY want to know.:smallamused:

also,:roy: "yo mama so fat , her speed is listed as "hell, no"

that made me laugh

Zolem
2008-06-15, 10:14 PM
Yay! I get a post within the 1st 50!

I didn't know Roy was into those jokes either. And I loved the Beowulf movie reference.

They made Beowulf into a movie?!How do you turn a poem into a movie? Do they all speak in weird prose?

Anyway, 'kobold dust' is asarcastic response like 'pixie dust', basicly 'I ain't telling, so I'm naming a nonsece ingrediant'. My group has a joke like that, talking about 'Adam's Mercey', since Adam is merciless and terrifies Balor (natural 20 on intimidate while wearing a Freight Mask, a homebrew item that gives +10 on Intimidate checks). He is a Laweful Neutral monk, and he has the second highest kill count in the party. The highest goes to our wizard/necromancer. ANyway, when we say it requires 'Adam's MErcy', we mean 'we won't explain, it doesn't need explaining, it just works stop questioning it'. It's bassicly our 'I didn't design the mechanic, jsut accpt it works' que.

Zorn
2008-06-15, 10:52 PM
So they'll forget that the thing cant res him? They're gonna be visiting the oracle over and over and over again ...

Unless they ask something along the lines of what Haley and/or Celia suggested. If they know the way to the nearest high-level cleric, for example, and that doesn't point them back where they came from they should be able to deduce that the Oracle is incapable of resurrecting Roy. A few several trips there and back might make a funny strip or two though.

I'm hoping that their source of money involves Goblin Dan and a subsequent "flash-forward" with him saying something like: "...and THAT'S the story of how I lost my first million gold pieces (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html)."

Mordokai
2008-06-15, 10:58 PM
"Yo momma's so fat, she can't even see her own feats!"

The puns, the puns! They hurt me brain! :smalleek:

PaladinFreak
2008-06-15, 11:03 PM
Well, I liked it a lot.

Belkar, you sick sick bastard.

Blanth
2008-06-15, 11:57 PM
He already rejected (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0330.html) that approach.

Perhaps the Oracle was only looking so far in advance into the future. Perhaps now that they have allied with the royals of Azure City they would be able to pay later, being this a recent change the Oracle has not yet looked in advance again to see their fiscal change!

David Argall
2008-06-16, 12:40 AM
For those hoping for some violence from Belkar, note that the Oracle says "Aren't I lucky? No, no, I am not." Of course, this is consistent with his limited desire to have customers at all, but it might be because of these particular customers since Belkar will attack him.

Wikkin
2008-06-16, 12:55 AM
Bet the oracle just so happens to have some need that they can fulfill in exchange for some answers, assuming they don't have the coins to pay for answers now.

TheGreatJabu
2008-06-16, 01:11 AM
Hahaha! "...her speed is listed as 'Heeell, no!'" That is freakin' priceless.

Yendor
2008-06-16, 01:28 AM
What happened to Solt's spices? Maybe they could sell them to Goblin Dan.

And maybe Tiamat can bring Roy to the Oracle's attention.

factotum
2008-06-16, 01:36 AM
we had a Pixie-Fairie Mage in the party who explained to us that pixie-fairies don't poop or sweat like most beings, being fae, so "pixie-dust" was basically pixie excrement and skin flakes.

Sounds like she might have lifted that idea from The River of Dancing Gods books by Jack L. Chalker--they had the idea that pixie dust was basically pixie poop too!

Sebastian
2008-06-16, 01:43 AM
Great one today, I literally LOL'ed at Belkar punchline.:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Niknokitueu
2008-06-16, 01:48 AM
Hehe.

Loved this one, but spotted a slight funny.

Last time they were here, the Oracle read haley's speech by looking at the translation in the later-to-be-released books #330, panel 4 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0330.html)

So he can actually hear and see Roy, just by looking forwards and seeing the book release of this meeting.

I wonder if he will peek?

Yo mamma's so fat she affects the space-time continuum... :smallbiggrin:

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

recentlyafish
2008-06-16, 01:56 AM
Belkar has red hair, I never noticed.

Holammer
2008-06-16, 03:47 AM
Never imagined "Grendles modor" being hot... But for a Kobold, quite possible. Needless to say that joke made my day.

Avilan the Grey
2008-06-16, 04:10 AM
Never imagined "Grendles modor" being hot... But for a Kobold, quite possible. Needless to say that joke made my day.

A naked Angelina Jolie isn't hot?

...oh you mean the story that was based on the movie, right? The one where they changed her character to be just as horrible-looking as her son? :smallwink:

Holammer
2008-06-16, 04:43 AM
A naked Angelina Jolie isn't hot?

...oh you mean the story that was based on the movie, right? The one where they changed her character to be just as horrible-looking as her son? :smallwink:

Just WHAT Grendel's mother is a source of debate, check wiki article on the subject for more info.

... the "story", aw c'mon this is epic poetry! :smalltongue:

banjo1985
2008-06-16, 05:44 AM
Very nice strip, turns out the oracle can't revive people....kind of figures!

Time to take Roy somewhere else, either that or stop eating V's messenger birds. :smallbiggrin:

Eran of Arcadia
2008-06-16, 07:29 AM

I hate it when they do a novel adaptation of a movie and they make all the characters ugly and throw in all sorts of extra stuff. ;)

Zolem
2008-06-16, 08:02 AM
Very nice strip, turns out the oracle can't revive people....kind of figures!

Time to take Roy somewhere else, either that or stop eating V's messenger birds. :smallbiggrin:

I'm surprised that people thought the Oracle was a Cleric. I always thought of him as an ORACLE, somebody divinly empowered by a God directly for the sole purpose of telling the future. It's freaking in the dictionary. Hell, when I was forced to give my Oracle clas levels cause the players decided to attack, I made him a freaking wizard! They have scrying and divinging spells too you know.

Timberboar
2008-06-16, 08:30 AM
They made Beowulf into a movie?!

At least five different times now.

I'm surprised that people thought the Oracle was a Cleric. I always thought of him as an ORACLE, somebody divinly empowered by a God directly

Gosh, how could someone think that an oracle (someone divinely empowered by a god) could be a cleric (someone divinely empowered by a god)?

It's mind-boggling! :)

The Gremlin
2008-06-16, 12:08 PM
I can see the joke already: "Guess what, redhead, you actually shot the messenger!"And then she will shoot the Oracle. :smallwink:

Aeti
2008-06-16, 06:18 PM
Back when the Order last visited the oracle, when Haley couldn't talk properly, the kobold understood her because he looked into the future to where the strips were compiled into a book and subtitles were added to translate her speech. OOTS 330 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0330.html)
So how come he can't look into the future book and see Roy there?
I'm assuming that the kobold isn't looking at the future book because he doesn't have a reason to.

David Argall
2008-06-16, 07:30 PM
Back when the Order last visited the oracle, when Haley couldn't talk properly, the kobold understood her because he looked into the future to where the strips were compiled into a book and subtitles were added to translate her speech. OOTS 330 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0330.html)
I'm assuming that the kobold isn't looking at the future book because he doesn't have a reason to.
On the face of it, he has a reason. Like you wouldn't read every word of a book you had heard you are in? [That was a famous practical joke a few decades back. The jokester found a very long, and very dull, book and sent a copy to each of several "friends" with the message to each "You will be amused, tho possibly hurt, by the references to you." It was some time before most of the victims found they had been had.]

MReav
2008-06-16, 11:30 PM
I think the Kobold is going to make a bunch of snappy comments to Roy once everyone leaves, making a bunch of fourth wall breaking comments along the way (though I think what might happen is that once Roy leaves, he's going to do that). Probably along the order of him not doing anything for people who can't pay.

I can't help but wonder... if Kobolds were created as a cannon-fodder race, why is this one being divinely empowered?

I already thought the Dark One was, at the very least, stretching the truth.

Steveio
2008-06-16, 11:34 PM

Or it could be that the Oracle can see Roy from the compilation book in the future, but he's pretending to not notice him just to screw with him.

The Oracle makes a comment after Haley says "our leader, Roy, is dead". He says "as the metaphorical doornail", which would imply that he knew Roy was dead the whole time, or at least because he could see Roy's ghost.

In an unrelated matter, I find it strange that the Oracle's just standing around doing nothing in his own home.

Selene
2008-06-17, 01:17 AM
I can't help but wonder... if Kobolds were created as a cannon-fodder race, why is this one being divinely empowered?

I already thought the Dark One was, at the very least, stretching the truth.

Good point.