PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) [Special 4e Edition]

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Viruzzo
2008-07-30, 07:34 AM
A 102
"Close Burst 5" + "Target: you or one ally" means that you can target a yourself or a single ally within 5 square from you. What's the difference between Ranged 5? Close Burst doesn't require line of sight.

Pinnacle
2008-07-30, 07:39 AM
A 102

It says "Close Burst 5" for range, but then it also says "Target: You or one ally."

Powers like this usually specify "one ally/enemy/creature in burst" but there're a few like it--such as the warlord's Inspiring Word.

They're written that way, I think, because of one mechanical differences between close and ranged attacks: Ranged powers provoke opportunity attacks and close ones don't.

Sources: PHB 62, 145, 270-1,

Nad
2008-07-30, 11:08 AM
Q103 Can magical armor be resized?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-07-30, 11:15 AM
A. 103

Magical armor can be re-sized using the Enchant Magic Item ritual (PHB page 304).

SpikeFightwicky
2008-07-30, 03:05 PM
Q104

I couldn't find any rules for arcane spell failure in the PHB. I assume they exist (we've been through every previous edition with some rule preventing its effectiveness). It seems odd that for the first time they've allowed full-plate mages out of the box (as long as you get the proficiency feats). I scoured the PHB, but couldn't find any downsides (like Spell Failure). Is there some tidbit I'm missing? If so, page reference?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-07-30, 04:27 PM
A. 104

I do not think you have missed anything. I guess some things do change. :smallsmile:

Joran
2008-07-30, 04:28 PM
A104

Arcane spell failure has been removed; however heavier armor tends to still be a poor choice for casters like Wizards and Warlocks. Light armor adds either the Dex bonus or Int bonus, whichever is higher to the AC. Since Int is the primary attribute for a Wizard, a Wizard's AC in light armor is bound to be just as good as in heavy armor, without requiring the large number of feats to get there.

P.S. Yes, this does mean that leather armor is one of the best feats to pick up for a Wizard.

Helgraf
2008-07-30, 10:21 PM
The question was not about how many AP they got, that was clear enough. The initial question was "to make a monster a Solo, do I have to make him an Elite first?".

The answer is yes. Either you make it elite directly or by application of a single template. Then you make it a solo directly after or apply a second template for similar but not identical effects.

Inyssius Tor
2008-07-31, 12:32 PM
Q105:

Can orb wizards use their orb special ability to extend the duration of a power that has already been extended by orb of inevitable continuance?

('cuz I'm lazy: is there anything that bears on that in the errata?)

Gralamin
2008-07-31, 12:43 PM
A 105
As long as the spell is an at-will power, there is no reason why Orb of Imposition would not extend it.

Alternatively, you can choose to extend the duration of an effect created by a wizard at-will spell

Jokes
2008-07-31, 08:30 PM
Q106

This is a bit of a follow on from a previous question, but if a rogue has TWF and wields a dagger in his off hand, does the +1 for rogue weapon talent apply (since using the dagger gives a +1, is he considered to be using it for the attack?).

Killer Qban
2008-08-01, 12:05 AM
Q. 107

Can "Cause Fear" be used on allies?

Q. 108

Is there such a thing as dropping your defenses willingly? (Give someone combat advantage over you on purpose maybe or not use your Dex mod to add to your ac by standing still?)

Q. 109

Is there a limit to how many of one power type (Daily, Encounter, At Will) you can use on one of your turns? (Like using a daily power then spending an action point to use some other daily power.)

RTGoodman
2008-08-01, 01:19 AM
A 107

Assuming the Compendium on D&D Insider is correct, this is what the text of Cause Fear (http://ww2.wizards.com/dnd/insider/power.aspx?id=890&searchterm=Cause%20Fear) says:

Cause Fear
[...]
Target: One creature

It doesn't say "One enemy," so you can target any creature. Hopefully your party members are creatures (as opposed to chairs or something), so the answer's YES. :smallwink:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 02:51 AM
A. 106

The requirement is only that you wield the dagger, not use it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 02:54 AM
A. 108

I do not think it is mentioned but it would probably be reasonable in a lot of situations.

A. 109

No, as long as you are allowed to take the action.

Charity
2008-08-01, 09:31 AM
A 102
"Close Burst 5" + "Target: you or one ally" means that you can target a yourself or a single ally within 5 square from you. What's the difference between Ranged 5? Close Burst doesn't require line of sight.

Also importantly, a close burst doesn't prevoke an OA which is the real reason they chose to use this convoluted wording IMO.

Wowbagger
2008-08-01, 09:39 AM
Q 110

When using a power that has two attacks (a ranger's twin strike for example), do you resolve the first attack completely before deciding on the target for the second attack?

Can you do anything (action-wise) between the two attacks?

Charity
2008-08-01, 09:40 AM
A. 106

The requirement is only that you wield the dagger, not use it.

Not as far as the FAQ says see previous post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83321&page=7#203)

Rogue weapon talent requires you to “wield” a particular weapon. What does this mean?

Wielding means you must be using that weapon in the attack. Merely holding it while you attack with another weapon isn’t enough to qualify for any bonuses that result.

mmm popcorn

Ohhh, not for you my friend, not for you. :smalltongue:

Too late... nom nom nom

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 09:51 AM
Not as far as the FAQ says see previous post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83321&page=7#203)

Makes sense too, just wish they had made it clear without use of external sources.

mmm popcorn

Ohhh, not for you my friend, not for you. :smalltongue:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 09:59 AM
A. 110

Generally actions are resolved in sequence, so unless your action trigger some other action or another action is noted as an exception you finish that action before moving on.

Attacks are resolved in order, so there does not seem to be need to declare the second target before the first is resolved, but I am not sure if it is explicitly mentioned.

Too late... nom nom nom

I shall not forget this!!

Mr.Bookworm
2008-08-01, 10:40 PM
Q. 111

How exactly is starting wealth handled?

I initially thought that it was the parcels in the DMG, but on further inspection, it appears that is not the case.

RTGoodman
2008-08-01, 10:48 PM
A 111

For 1st-level characters, everyone starts with basic clothing and 100 gp (as described on PHB 210).

For higher-level characters, see A 41 from earlier in this thread.

A41

DMG 143

1 magic item of level +1
1 magic item of level
1 magic item of level -1
gold of value of magic item level -1 which may be spent on anything

Killer Qban
2008-08-01, 10:49 PM
Q 112

Cause Fear. It says the target will try to avoid unsafe squares or difficult terrain if it can...what if it has nowhere to go but through a freezing cloud or stinking cloud? Does it just stop? or since it cant avoid it he just goes through it...how about a solid wall? I'm guessing he just stops.

Viruzzo
2008-08-02, 02:53 AM
A 112
The main effect is "move away from you", so as long as there is space he in the opposite direction and if he can only by passing on hazards or difficult terrain, he will.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-02, 02:55 AM
A. 112

It says it avoids such squares "if it can", so if there are no other options I'd say it might even try to move through those.

Jeramiahh
2008-08-03, 12:23 AM
Q 113

Quick Draw: Can you draw and attack as part of an Attack of Opportunity? Quick Draw says that the weapon may be drawn as part of the action to attack. Opportunity attacks no longer require you to be armed to threaten.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-03, 02:28 AM
A. 113

Yes, threatening is not required anymore as you say.

Enlong
2008-08-03, 08:40 PM
Q. 114

Wizards get 2 Daily (or 3 with Expanded Spellbook) and Utility spells per level that they could normally get spells at, and have to prepare them so that they have the same each day that any other class would, thanks to their spellbook. After getting their 3rd non-paragon path Daily, all classes have to start dropping Dailies to get more of higher level. The PHB says that when a Wizard drops daily spells, they vanish from his spellbook. My question is: does a Wizard have to give up 1 daily like most classes, or does he have to drop as many old spells as he is now gaining?

For example:
Ex Ample the Wizard chose Flaming Sphere and Acid Arrow as the daily spells for his spellbook at 1st level. Now that he's reached 15th level, Ex wants to get Bigby's Grasping Hands and Prismatic Beams. Does Ex have to give up just one of his old Dailies, or does he have to drop both to gake on his new spells. And what would happen if Ex had taken Expanded Spellbook?

Helgraf
2008-08-04, 12:10 AM
Q106

This is a bit of a follow on from a previous question, but if a rogue has TWF and wields a dagger in his off hand, does the +1 for rogue weapon talent apply (since using the dagger gives a +1, is he considered to be using it for the attack?).

A106. (Expanded)
If he attacks with the off-hand weapon (eg the dagger) yes. If he attacks with a weapon that is not a dagger, the presence of the dagger in his other hand does not give him an additional +1 to attack.

skywalker
2008-08-04, 12:44 AM
Q. 115

Does a bonus to damage granted by a weapon or implement(a pact blade comes to mind) apply to ongoing damage?

For example, if I use Dire Radiance(which deals 1d6+CON, and 1d6+CON if the enemy moves closer to you) on an enemy, and he then moves closer to me, does he take 1d6+CON+1(for the pact blade) like he did on my last turn, or simply 1d6+CON?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-04, 02:36 AM
A. 114

When you gain a new daily power you may choose two new spells to add to your spellbook.

When you replace a daily power you may choose one new spell, which overwrites one of your old spells from the spell book.

Expanded spellbook has no effect when you are replacing dailies.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-04, 02:43 AM
A. 115

No, the bonus does not apply to ongoing damage (PHB page 232).

ghost_warlock
2008-08-04, 03:41 AM
Q 116

For a warlock that multiclassed wizard and then took the blood mage paragon path, does warlock's curse count for the blood mage's burning blood class ability?

Totally Guy
2008-08-04, 03:53 AM
Q117

Lets say a fighter in the party choses the two weapon fighting feat. Then he decides that,for a joke, he will wield an improvised weapon as his off hand weapon, such as his fist or a frisbee or maybe a stale biscuit. Would this count towards the +1 for weilding two weapons or not for these weapons not being desingnated off hand?

Similarly if a ranger decided to try this, as well as suffering on their powers for only getting 1D4 rolls to damage, would the Two Weapon Fighting Feat apply the +1 for weilding 2 weapons?

That's my elaborate way of asking does the feat 2 weapon fighting work with an improvised weapon and is there a category of item that prevents it being a weapon?

Charity
2008-08-04, 04:43 AM
Q. 115

Does a bonus to damage granted by a weapon or implement(a pact blade comes to mind) apply to ongoing damage?

For example, if I use Dire Radiance(which deals 1d6+CON, and 1d6+CON if the enemy moves closer to you) on an enemy, and he then moves closer to me, does he take 1d6+CON+1(for the pact blade) like he did on my last turn, or simply 1d6+CON?

A. 115

No, the bonus does not apply to ongoing damage (PHB page 232).
Sorry to disagree with our mighty Tyrant but... Correct though you are on the ongoing damage part of it, this is not an example of ongoing damage, it is additional damage dependant on distinct criteria, it is not ongoing damage (which is generally (but irritatingly not always) a flat amount and always applies at the start of the round), this damage only applies in the move turn if the enemy moves closer.
Consequently I believe in this case, one could benifit from an impliment bonus.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-04, 05:26 AM
A. 116

Yes, no requirements are made on the effect.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-04, 05:29 AM
Sorry to disagree with our mighty Tyrant but... Correct though you are on the ongoing damage part of it, this is not an example of ongoing damage, it is additional damage dependant on distinct criteria, it is not ongoing damage (which is generally (but irritatingly not always) a flat amount and always applies at the start of the round), this damage only applies in the move turn if the enemy moves closer.
Consequently I believe in this case, one could benifit from an impliment bonus.

Ok, I should have looked up the example rather than just answering the question. :smalltongue:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-04, 05:35 AM
A. 117

I think the lack of off-hand designation would prevent such use.

The Two-Blade Fighting Style would allow it though.

bluescreen
2008-08-04, 09:20 AM
Q 118:
It says the wizard spell Mage Hand can be sustained with a minor action. Does that mean that with a minor action I can pick something up and move up to 5 feet with it or does it mean that with a minor action an already existing mage hand simply wont go away and I need to spend another action to pick something up with it or move it?

Thanks,
bluescreenofdebt

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-04, 09:35 AM
A. 118

It could be worded more clearly, but i believe sustaining the hand only allows you to keep it in effect. Moving and manipulating requires further actions.

Valdar
2008-08-04, 01:33 PM
Two things that I'd like confirmed, if that's in the spirit of the thread-

Q 119

True or false?

In 4th edition, alignment has almost completely been removed from the game mechanics, with the exception of one paladin paragon path power. Spells no longer selectively target alignments, alignment can no longer be detected by any existing power, etc- it has now been completely relegated to being an RP trait.

Q 120

True or false?

There is no functional difference in the game between an even-numbered attribute and the attribute plus one (10 vs. 11, for instance), with the two exceptions of a) starting hit points from CON, and b) the ability to add 1 when leveling to increase the bonus (11 to 12 grants another bonus, while 10 to 11 does not). Poisons and other status ailments no longer (ever) change attributes, and powers that temporarily increase attributes no longer exist. With the aforementioned exception of CON for starting HP, nowhere in the game is there a game mechanic that uses the attribute itself rather than the attribute bonus/penalty.

Douglas
2008-08-04, 01:44 PM
A120
False. There is one additional exception I know of, though if you add that exception to the list I think the answer would then be True.

This exception regards feat prerequisites. There are a number of feats that require a certain minimum ability score and, as in 3.x, the minimum is almost always (in fact, I am not aware of any exception to this) an odd number.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-04, 01:48 PM
A. 119

True, for the time being at least.

A. 120

True, except that feat prerequisites often include uneven ability scores, encumbrance and least one power.

MartinHarper
2008-08-04, 01:48 PM
Q121. How do teleportation powers such as an Eladrin's "Fey Step" power work when falling? Do they:
a) Preserve momentum?
b) Remove momentum?
c) Allow the teleporter to redirect the direction of their momentum?

Q122. Is it possible to teleport straight-up or straight-down when falling?

Jimp
2008-08-04, 02:03 PM
Q. 123
Two dual wielding questions:
A. Does dual wielding add the +1 damage bonus to all melee weapon attack powers or just your basic attack?
B. Is the only way to strike with both weapons to use a power that lets you do so? E.g, Hit: 1[w]+str, make attack with off hand weapon, Off hand Hit: 1[w] +1/2 str

ColdSepp
2008-08-04, 02:47 PM
A. 123

Q. 123
Two dual wielding questions:
A. Does dual wielding add the +1 damage bonus to all melee weapon attack powers or just your basic attack?
B. Is the only way to strike with both weapons to use a power that lets you do so? E.g, Hit: 1[w]+str, make attack with off hand weapon, Off hand Hit: 1[w] +1/2 str

A. It adds +1 to all damage rolls with the main hand weapon.
B. Other then a Power, the only one I can find it the Two Weapon Flurry feat, which only applies to Opportunity attacks. PHB pg 207

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-04, 02:59 PM
A. 121

The RAW is silent on the matter, but it was addressed in 3.5

Does an object with momentum maintain that
momentum if teleported?

Nothing in the rules suggests that the rules of physics
wouldn’t continue to apply, so it appears that momentum is
maintained. If you’re plummeting toward the ground when you
cast teleport to reach a safe spot, you’d still be “falling” and
would therefore take damage as appropriate to the distance you
actually fell before teleporting.

A. 122

Yes.

TMZ_Cinoros
2008-08-04, 03:18 PM
A. 120 (Expanded)

A120
False. There is one additional exception I know of, though if you add that exception to the list I think the answer would then be True.

This exception regards feat prerequisites. There are a number of feats that require a certain minimum ability score and, as in 3.x, the minimum is almost always (in fact, I am not aware of any exception to this) an odd number.

There are at least two additional exceptions:

A character's encumberance is determined by multiplying his/her strength score by 10 (normal load), 20 (heavy load), or 50 (maximum drag load), which is specified on page 222 of the PHB.
The Demigod Utility Power for level 26, Divine Regeneration (page 175 of the PHB), gives regeneration equal to the character's highest ability score.

I have not read through all of the powers in the PHB, so there might be a few more exceptions. Since there is at least one power related to an ability score, I think it is safe to say there will be more powers in the future related to ability scores.

TMZ_Cinoros
2008-08-04, 03:52 PM
Q. 124

Is the cover diagram on page 281 of the PHB correct? For the book impaired, I'll make a little ASCII diagram (sans the enemies), with labels for the columns and rows to make referring to individual squares easier.

_ A B C D E
1 U U A O A
2 U O A A A
3 U O * A A
4 A A A A A
5 A A A O O
6 U U U U U

Key:
O = Obstacle, such as a wall or statue
U = Unaffected by an area attack
A = Affected by area attack
* = Origin of area attack

Specifically, squares A3 (two squares to the left of the origin) and B1 (one square to the left and two squares up from the origin) should be affected by the area attack but have cover, in my opinion. For square A3, you can draw two lines from a corner of the square of origin to the lower corners of square A3 (since lines parallel to an obstruction are not blocked, as per the rules on page 280), even though this is counter intuitive. Square B1 also appears to be affected with cover, but is much more apparent, as you can draw lines from the any of the right corners of the origin to the right corners of B1.

Edit:

I think I should clarify the rule I was citing from 280:

Determining Cover: To determine if a target has
cover, choose a corner of a square you occupy (or
a corner of your attack’s origin square) and trace
imaginary lines from that corner to every corner
of any one square the target occupies. If one or
two of those lines are blocked by an obstacle or an
enemy, the target has cover. (A line isn’t blocked if it
runs along the edge of an obstacle’s or an enemy’s
square.) If three or four of those lines are blocked but
you have line of effect, the target has superior cover.

I guess that this only applies to cover, not line of effect.

RTGoodman
2008-08-04, 04:17 PM
A 124 (Partial)

I believe that, for at least one of the squares in question, there's no cover because the square isn't a legal target for the area of effect - there's no line of effect from the origin square to square A3.

You can target a creature or square if there's an unblocked path between in and you - that is, if you have line of effect to it. If every imaginary line you trace to a target passes through or touches a solid obstacle, you don't have line of effect to the target.
[...]
To hit a target with the attack, there must be line of effect from the origin square to the target.

Since every imaginary line from the Origin to A3 that doesn't pass through the obstacle does indeed TOUCH the wall, there's no LoE.

For B1 there are some lines that don't touch OR go through obstacles (for instance, from the top-right corner of each square), so I'm not sure about that. I believe, though, that might be a mistake and that B1 should be included as having cover, though someone else might know why it doesn't.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-04, 04:18 PM
A. 124

As far as I can see you are correct. There is line of effect (and cover) to B1.

I also agree on you assertion of the intuitiveness of the RAW on A3. The square only has cover, but no line of effect.

On a completely different note, you can use the code tags if you want to insert spaces etc.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-04, 04:24 PM
A 124 (Partial)

Since every imaginary line from the Origin to A3 that doesn't pass through the obstacle does indeed TOUCH the wall, there's no LoE.

The cover rules on page 280 and elsewhere disagree.

A line isn’t blocked if it runs along the edge of an obstacle’s...

So, no line of effect, but only cover.
Luckily line of effect is a requirement, but it still does not make that much sense and does not solve the problem of B1, which clearly has line of effect from the corner of the origin square.

TMZ_Cinoros
2008-08-04, 04:30 PM
A. 124 (Continued)

A. 124

As far as I can see you are correct. There is line of effect (and cover) to both squares.

I also agree on you assertion of the intuitiveness of the RAW on A3.

Hmm. rtg0922 brings up an excellent point:

The rule about lines running along a wall only applies to cover, but makes no mention to line of effect (I added a quote of the applicable rule to my original post). Using a strict definition of RAW, a line running parallel to a wall is not blocked for the purposes of cover, but is blocked for purposes of line of effect, meaning A3 is not affected. I guess two counter-intuitive interpretations of RAW make an intuitive application of RAW?

On a completely different note, you can use the code tags if you want to insert spaces etc.

Thanks, I will remember that in the future.

Edit: Ninja'd by Lord_Silvanos.

RTGoodman
2008-08-04, 04:36 PM
The cover rules on page 280 and elsewhere disagree.

I see what you're talking about. I was just thinking that you wouldn't have to determine Cover for A3 anyway since the lack of LoE means they wouldn't have to worry about the burst.

So yes, it has cover, but it's completely useless anyway. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Apparently we were all posting and editing there at the same time. I think it's sorted out now about A3, at least. B1 is just a mistake, I think.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-04, 04:39 PM
I see what you're talking about. I was just thinking that you wouldn't have to determine Cover for A3 anyway since the lack of LoE means they wouldn't have to worry about the burst.

Very true (and a very good practical point too!), just pointing out the "inconsistency".

Maybe we should find a chat room. :smalltongue:

Killer Qban
2008-08-04, 08:27 PM
Q. 125

Does rolling a 10-19 "No Change" on a Death save stabilize you and mean you can stop rolling or does that just mean you are still dying and have to keep rolling until you roll 20 or above?

Glawackus
2008-08-04, 09:26 PM
Q. How do I calculate the experience value for a monster after adding a template or templates to it?

Helgraf
2008-08-04, 09:50 PM
Q. How do I calculate the experience value for a monster after adding a template or templates to it?

A. 126
1 Template makes a monster an Elite. (Unless it is already Elite, then it becomes a Solo).

2 Templates make a monster a Solo.

Elites are worth 2x the experience of a regular monster of their level.
Solos are worth 5x the experience of a regular monster of their level.

RTGoodman
2008-08-04, 09:50 PM
A 126

That depends on the monster's type (normal, elite, or solo). Adding a template to a standard monster turn it into an Elite monster of the same level. Use the XP amount listed for an Elite monster of the creature's level on the Experience Points Rewards chart on DMG 56. (Or, to simplify that, multiply the reward for the standard monster by 2)

Adding one template to an Elite monster or two templates to a Standard monsters turns it into a Solo monster, and you can then use the XP amount listed on the aforementioned chart for Solo monsters of the creatures level. (Alternatively, it should be worth 5 x the Standard monster's XP reward.)

(Ex: A standard level 8 monster is worth 350 XP. Adding one template to it and turning it into an Elite monster makes it worth 700 XP. Adding to templates to the standard, or one more to the Elite, is worth 1750 XP.)

EDIT: Ninja'd by mere seconds!

Helgraf
2008-08-04, 09:51 PM
Q. 125

Does rolling a 10-19 "No Change" on a Death save stabilize you and mean you can stop rolling or does that just mean you are still dying and have to keep rolling until you roll 20 or above?

A. 125

"No Change" means exactly that. You neither stabilize nor get worse, and you keep rolling until you get a 20+ or until some action restores you to greater than 0 hit points.

You no longer take 1 HP of damage each round while dying like in 3.x, however, any attacks upon you still add damage to your total, and if you reach negative bloodied value from such effects you die regardless.

TMZ_Cinoros
2008-08-05, 04:05 PM
Q. 127

A. If a conjuration (such as Flaming Sphere) is attacking a creature that that has total concealment against you but not against the Flaming Sphere, does the attack get the -5 penalty for total concealment? For example, a kobold is hiding behind a barricade, but you summon a Flaming Sphere to also be behind the barricade.

B. Can a conjuration be used to see around corners (i.e.: Can the conjuration see things that you do not have line of sight with)? I mostly ask this question, because I believe it impacts part A.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-05, 04:14 PM
A. 127

Cover and concealment is determined from the origin of the effect and not from you, meaning that the Flaming Sphere takes no penalty to attack.

Line of effect (and sometimes sight) (again from the effect) determines what the effect can effect (ok I did that on purpose), so your line of sight is irrelevant as long as you are not doing the targeting.

ColdSepp
2008-08-05, 04:51 PM
Q.128
Can you retrain a Multiclass Feat? I see nothing that says you can't, but want to be sure

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-05, 04:58 PM
A. 128

Yes, but note the limitations outlined in the Retraining rules on page 28.

You can’t replace a feat if it’s a prerequisite for any other attribute you have (another feat or a paragon path, for example), or if the feat is a feature of your class, path, or destiny (as the Ritual Caster feat is a class feature for wizards).

Charity
2008-08-06, 05:55 AM
A 128 additional.
As it goes you can change your multiclassed swapped feats every level in addition to the retraining rules.
i.e. If I'm a fighter and I have multiclassed into ranger and swapped my L3 encounter power, I can either change which of my powers I swap (instead swap my L7 fighter encounter power for a ranger one, and regain my class L3 fighter encounter power. Or just swap which L3 encounter power I get from the Ranger 3 powers... So multiclassing does have additional fringe benifits.

Blackdrop
2008-08-06, 06:48 AM
I'm going to sound like such an idiot for asking this, but here it goes...

Q.129 How many encounter powers can be used in one encounter?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-06, 07:12 AM
A. 129

as many as you have or can make available.

Blackdrop
2008-08-06, 07:29 AM
A.129 You wouldn't happen to have a general ballpark page number for that, would you?

Douglas
2008-08-06, 07:38 AM
A129
All of them, once each. There are probably other places this is mentioned, but the sidebar on page 15 of the PHB includes this quote:

You can use encounter powers many times during a day of adventuring, but you have to rest a few minutes between each use, so you can use them each once per encounter.
Emphasis added. There is no limit whatsoever on how many encounter or daily powers you can use in total in a single encounter or day. The limits are only on how many times you can use each individual power and, with very few exceptions (Healing Word, for example), they are all 1/encounter or 1/day for that particular power. Powers that allow you to recharge other powers may allow you to go beyond that limit to some extent.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-06, 07:40 AM
A. 129 Continued

I am not sure it is spelled out like that, but once per encounter is to be take literally. (EDIT: Seems it was Douglas :smallamused:)
Putting together the information found on page 54 of the PHB, for instance, is that you can use powers when you have an available action and as long as you follow the general rule that you use an encounter power only once per encounter it follows that you can use all your encounter powers in the same encounter. (Sometimes you can even renew an encounter power and use it more than once per encounter)
There are no restriction on the number of powers you use in an encounter as long as you observe the limitations of each power's usage (once per encounter, once per day etc.).

An encounter power can be used once per encounter.

You can use a power whenever you are able to take the action the power requires.

I hope that satisfies your concerns.

Blackdrop
2008-08-06, 07:53 AM
Ah, excellent. Thank you both for the speedy replies

Enlong
2008-08-06, 11:04 AM
Q. 130

Can a Warlock use his Shadow Walk class feature to gain Concealment to use for Stealth checks while outside of battle?

Blackdrop
2008-08-06, 02:32 PM
Q. 131The bonus provided by the Bracers of Mighty Striking (PHB pg. 244) does not apply to powers, correct?

Enlong
2008-08-06, 02:36 PM
A. 131

Correct. The item specifies melee basic attack, which means no powers.

Douglas
2008-08-06, 02:37 PM
A131
Correct, it only applies to the Melee Basic Attack, which is found on page 287 of the PHB. This is usually used only for charges, opportunity attacks, and when powers or abilities give you bonus attacks that are specifically required to be basic attacks.

Labelos
2008-08-06, 04:21 PM
Wrong topic, sorry, could this be deleted please?

Helgraf
2008-08-06, 09:50 PM
I'm going to sound like such an idiot for asking this, but here it goes...

Q.129 How many encounter powers can be used in one encounter?

A. 129 If N is the number of encounter powers you have not yet used, then the number of encounter powers you can use in one encounter is N, provided you satisfy the circumstances required to activate each power.

RTGoodman
2008-08-06, 11:10 PM
Wrong topic, sorry, could this be deleted please?

You can just click "Edit" and then delete your own post from there.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Q 132

The Halfling's Bold ability says "You gain a +5 bonus to saving throws against fear."

Is that a typo that's supposed to say "You gain a +5 bonus to your defenses against fear effects" or is it literally supposed to be a bonus on your saves at the end of your turn when you're trying to end a condition based on a fear effect?

It seems like the first is more likely, but I guess the second could work (though it's very weird).

Joran
2008-08-06, 11:27 PM
"You gain a +5 bonus to your defenses against fear effects" or is it literally supposed to be a bonus on your saves at the end of your turn when you're trying to end a condition based on a fear effect?
A132:

Second one. Also, saving throws can also occur at other times other than the end of your turn (for instance, a cleric at-will allows an ally to make a saving throw).

Akvad_Dunchadt
2008-08-07, 04:57 PM
Q133

When teleporting (using either Fey Step, Misty Step, or the other Warlock teleport abilities) can you go from Prone to Standing during the teleport?

Q134

It seems crazy that its basically HiPS at level 1 but with the Fey Pact Warlock, as long as they move at least 3 squares they can always hide?

Charity
2008-08-08, 04:05 AM
A133 I don't think this is made explicitly clear, but I would imagine not though as a DM I figure it's his call.

A134 Hide has been errata'd to disallow hide except with full cover/concealment, so no HiPS for the warlock.

STEALTH
Stealth: At the end of a move action.

Opposed Check: Stealth vs. passive Perception. If multiple enemies are present, your Stealth check is opposed by each enemy’s passive Perception check. If you move more than 2 squares during the move action, you take a –5 penalty to the Stealth check. If you run, the penalty is –10.

Becoming Hidden: You can make a Stealth check against an enemy only if you have superior cover or total concealment against the enemy or if you’re outside the enemy’s line of sight. Outside combat, the DM can allow you to make a Stealth check against a distracted enemy, even if you don’t have superior cover or total concealment and aren’t outside the enemy’s line of sight. The distracted enemy might be focused on something in a different direction, allowing you to sneak up.

cheeseNcrak
2008-08-08, 02:21 PM
Q 135

How does one calculate the XP a PC is worth? I want to make a level 6 rogue for my players to fight against, one with feats, powers, items, etc, anything a normal player can use. So how much XP is he worth, and is there a scale I can follow?

Akvad_Dunchadt
2008-08-08, 03:19 PM
Q133b

Ya I wasn't able to find it anywhere, but it would negate the move action that standing up requires. Anyone know where I could inquire of Wizards about this?

Q134b

Charity, where did you find that so I can point my soon-to-be-disappointed warlock to it so he doesnt try to bitch me out?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-09, 03:26 AM
A. 135

NPCs are treated like standard monsters and xp is given on page 120 in the DMG.

Morty
2008-08-09, 06:48 AM
Q. 136

Does "Melee Weapon" as Commander's Strike range mean that the ally who makes the attack has to be in Warlord's melee range?

Viruzzo
2008-08-09, 07:10 AM
A. 136

Attack: An ally of your choice makes a melee basic attack
against the target
The target is the enemy that has to be attacked, so it's him that has to be in melee range of the Warlord. Obviously it has (in most cases) to be in melee range of the the designed ally too.

Charity
2008-08-09, 11:44 AM
Q134b

Charity, where did you find that so I can point my soon-to-be-disappointed warlock to it so he doesnt try to bitch me out?

D&D insider - D&D compendium (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/insider/compendium)

skywalker
2008-08-09, 02:44 PM
A. 136

The target is the enemy that has to be attacked, so it's him that has to be in melee range of the Warlord. Obviously it has (in most cases) to be in melee range of the the designed ally too.

This is actually disputed. It is currently unclear whether the warlord must be actually within melee range, or merely holding a melee weapon. Most people say it's DM's call :smallfrown:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-09, 03:09 PM
This is actually disputed. It is currently unclear whether the warlord must be actually within melee range, or merely holding a melee weapon. Most people say it's DM's call :smallfrown:

It is disputed in the sense that RAI probably would (and should) allow it, but by a strict reading it is harder to dispute. The power has the Melee Weapon keyword, which means that the target must be within the user's melee reach (PHB page 56).

bue52
2008-08-10, 01:10 AM
Q137. I am confused by the multi-classing feats and the power switching ones. Does it mean that for me to use the power swap feats, I need to have a multiclass feat first?

Q138. Can someone please explain the part about the paragon multi-classing? Does it mean that when you reach level 20, you can choose to learn a skill of any level from the class you multi-classed instead of one from your paragon path? Or do you consider yourself to be a "level 1" rouge or something like that and can only choose skills from that level?

RTGoodman
2008-08-10, 01:22 AM
A 137

Yes, to take the "power-swap" feats (Novice Power, Acolyte Power, and Adept Power) you have to have one of the class-specific power-swap feats and meet the other requirement (that is, the required level). Since those three feats are basically the only way to multiclass in 4E, it makes sense that you'd already have to have the correct class's multiclass feat before you could start grabbing that class's powers.

A 138

Paragon multi-classing simply means that, if you have the three "power-swap" feats for a class, you can choose to give up your normal paragon path in order to get more powers from your secondary class. This starts at Level 11, as normal for paragon paths.

When you paragon multiclass, you basically just get exactly what PHB 209 says - you trade an at-will from your normal class for one from your secondary class and you gain encounter/utility/daily powers from your secondary class when you would normally gain those powers from your paragon path.

Viruzzo
2008-08-10, 03:25 AM
It is disputed in the sense that RAI probably would (and should) allow it, but by a strict reading it is harder to dispute. The power has the Melee Weapon keyword, which means that the target must be within the user's melee reach (PHB page 56).
Exactly, it's the same as e.g. Fighter powers, there is little to dispute. Simply the power is not "attack that guy over there", but more "attack this guy here".

Totally Guy
2008-08-10, 03:55 AM
Exactly, it's the same as e.g. Fighter powers, there is little to dispute. Simply the power is not "attack that guy over there", but more "attack this guy here".

The way I read it the the Warlord stands close to the monster, annoying it, poking it and generally being a nuisance to it. This distraction allows the warlord to prompt his team mate to make an opportunity attack. Plus int as the opponent was distracted by the warlord's presence.

Saph
2008-08-10, 02:12 PM
Q. 139

When using the Wizard's "Wand of Accuracy" class feature, do you choose to apply the bonus before or after making the attack roll? If you can decide whether or not to apply the bonus after seeing the roll, this class feature is pretty good; if you can't, it's pretty bad.

- Saph

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-10, 02:26 PM
A. 139

I am afraid you would consider it pretty bad then.
You do not take free actions after making the attack roll to add additional bonuses unless it is explicitly stated that you can.

Helgraf
2008-08-10, 02:58 PM
Q. 139

When using the Wizard's "Wand of Accuracy" class feature, do you choose to apply the bonus before or after making the attack roll? If you can decide whether or not to apply the bonus after seeing the roll, this class feature is pretty good; if you can't, it's pretty bad.

- Saph

With the proper build, it's a near perfect "make sure that Daily isn't wasted" encounter booster. So yeah, it's not a guarantee. Neither is Elven Accuracy. Of course, with an Elf Wizard, Wand Implement, you could do both to really ramp up the odds on making that critical daily connect.

Blackdrop
2008-08-10, 04:18 PM
Q. 140: Do the bonuses from a holy symbol stack with the bonus from a magic weapon? Since, they don't cite a specific bonus (item, feat, racial, etc) I would think that they would.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-10, 05:06 PM
A. 140

No, both provide an enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls. (PHB pp. 232 & 236)

Blackdrop
2008-08-10, 06:08 PM
Well there goes my +7 to attack and damage

Douglas
2008-08-10, 07:39 PM
A140 additional
Also, the bonus from the weapon only applies to powers with the weapon keyword and the bonus from the holy symbol only applies to powers with the implement keyword. To my knowledge, there aren't any powers with both keywords, so the question would never actually come up in actual play.

Blackdrop
2008-08-11, 05:13 PM
Q.141: This is going to sound kinda dumb, but here goes: The target for a Paladin's Lay on hands says "One creature". Does that mean a Paladin can target himself with his own lay on hands?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-11, 05:21 PM
A. 141

Yes, assuming the Paladin is a creature. :smalltongue:

Seriously, page 57 of the PHB provides additional information on other target entries.

Douglas
2008-08-11, 05:22 PM
A141
Yes. See the Target section on page 57 of the PHB.

Edit: How does a beholder become a ninja?

Charity
2008-08-11, 06:15 PM
A 141 yet again.
FAQ (http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1396)

9. Can a Paladin gain healing from his own lay on hands ability?

Yes he can.

He gets his super powers from popcorn.

Totally Guy
2008-08-12, 06:41 AM
Q142

A paladin wants to use Lay on Hands against a Zombie. How is this handled? Although it is not explicitly an attack you should still be able to affect the target with the healing effect. Given that when this effect is determined a precedent is set and the Paladin may want to use it in combat which means that "to hit" needs to be defined.

only1doug
2008-08-12, 07:20 AM
A142

touch attack

aggg, ignore me, i didn't see 4e on title, sorry

fractic
2008-08-12, 07:33 AM
A142 The paladin would just lay on hands like normal, no attack needed. The zombie then gets healed. The power doesn't say anything about damaging undead nor is there such a thing mentioned in the MM.

Charity
2008-08-12, 07:35 AM
A142 Sorry to say in 4e healing hands does only that, heal.
It can only be used to heal, there is no +ve energy _ve energy thing anymore. Undead are vulnerable to Radiant damage, but lay on hands does no such thing.
You are free to house rule all you like but the only way a Paladin can especially target undead is through his various radiant keyword powers and

Pelor’s Radiance Feat Power

When undead creatures abound, Pelor’s radiance shines to aid the faithful.

Encounter Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard ActionClose burst 1 (3 at 11th level, 5 at 21st level)
Target: Each undead creature in burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: 1d12 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage, and the target is stunned until the end of your next turn.

Increase damage to 2d12 at 5th level, 3d12 at 11th, 4d12 at 15th, 5d12 at 21st, and 6d12 at 25th.
Prerequisite: Channel Divinity, Pelor’s Radiance feat

Totally Guy
2008-08-12, 09:16 AM
Pelor’s Radiance Feat Power

Bo'h Paladin of Kord....

Jimp
2008-08-12, 10:56 AM
Q.143
When my Warlord uses a power that also shifts an ally, can the ally choose not to shift or is it forced?

Pirate_King
2008-08-12, 10:57 AM
143 The wizard of the spiral tower prestige class allows you to use a longsword as if it were an implement. Naturally, you would gain any enhancement bonuses to the implement powers, but would you gain the longsword proficiency bonus as well?

Knouge
2008-08-12, 11:15 AM
Q.145

I'm sorry if this is asked in the wrong thread, but I'd like to know what happened to the "online, create-your-figurine D&D" thing that was presented way back then. Is it sold with the Player's Handbook, or something...?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-12, 11:22 AM
A. 143

Notice that those powers say can rather than must or similar, making it a voluntary decision.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-12, 11:29 AM
A. 144

143 The wizard of the spiral tower prestige class allows you to use a longsword as if it were an implement. Naturally, you would gain any enhancement bonuses to the implement powers, but would you gain the longsword proficiency bonus as well?

It is only spelled out in the magic item section for those weapons that also doubles as holy symbols/implements, however, you only gain the proficiency bonus when using powers that have the weapon keyword. (PHB page 275)

RTGoodman
2008-08-12, 01:01 PM
Not necessarily a "Q&A by RAW" question, but...

A 145

The Character Visualizer isn't ready yet, but when it finally is it'll be a part of the D&D Insider set of tools. You can read about it HERE (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/insider/charactervisualizer) for now. (Note: You may have to have a D&DI account to view that, but you can still get an account for free if you want to see that page and a lot of the other stuff on the WotC site.)

Akvad_Dunchadt
2008-08-12, 01:54 PM
Q 146
say you are using an attack that when it misses it does your...stat mod in damage (say dex or str). Is the damage your stat mod unmodified....or does it get the +1 from the weapon? What about on ongoing dmg?

(Pretty sure it doesn't but am asking anyways cause I have been known to be wrong)

Q 147
if you have the feat to increase a damage type (say fire) and its fire damage does the every round damage get increased by this?

Thanks again!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-12, 02:08 PM
A. 146

It is just you stat modifier that is used in the calculation.

A. 147 Partial

I am unsure as to what feat you are referring, but static effects such as ongoing damage are rarely modified.

Helgraf
2008-08-12, 10:04 PM
Q 146
say you are using an attack that when it misses it does your...stat mod in damage (say dex or str). Is the damage your stat mod unmodified....or does it get the +1 from the weapon? What about on ongoing dmg?

(Pretty sure it doesn't but am asking anyways cause I have been known to be wrong)

Q 147
if you have the feat to increase a damage type (say fire) and its fire damage does the every round damage get increased by this?

Thanks again!

A 147
No. Continuing (static) damage is never modified. Resistance and vulnerability interact with it normally, but they don't change the damage, but rather how the damage is resolved.

Dire Cohort
2008-08-13, 09:12 PM
Q. 148

Can armor properties be given to shields? If not, is there any way to increase a shield's AC bonus (aside from powers)?

Thanks

Aron Times
2008-08-13, 09:43 PM
Q. 148

Can armor properties be given to shields? If not, is there any way to increase a shield's AC bonus (aside from powers)?

Thanks
A. 148
No. Shields can only be enchanted as shields, not armor. They always provide +1 to +2 to AC and Reflex.

Helgraf
2008-08-13, 10:08 PM
Q. 148

Thanks

A. 148 - Expansion
No, they cannot.

Shield Specialization (Paragon Tier Feat, Prereq: Shield Proficiency (in the type of shield you use), Dex 15) increaes the bonus to AC and Reflex that a shield grants by +1 (it is a feat bonus however, so does not stack with an AC bonus provided Armor Specialization).

Some powers, as you noted, provide temporary boosts.

Otherwise no.

A shield's primary purpose in 4th Ed is not to directly contribute to your AC, beyond the basic +1 or +2 it grants, but to provide you with defensive capabilities in other ways (as can be seen by the enchantments available for shields).

EarthSpirit3rd
2008-08-15, 10:48 AM
Q. 149

Does a Flaming Sphere (Wiz Daily 1) controlled by an allied wizard count as an 'ally' for the purposes of flanking?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-15, 11:08 AM
A. 149

No spells are not allies and cannot flank (unless otherwise noted).

DizzyD
2008-08-15, 11:12 AM
Q150

Unfortunately I don't have the books to look this up.

are there any penalties for bluffing against another PC or someone who knows you well?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-15, 11:20 AM
A. 150

There are no modifiers of that sort.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-08-16, 02:17 AM
Nevermind.

Totally Guy
2008-08-17, 07:28 AM
Q151

A character advances from one level to another with a full multiclass paragon substitute, with respect to powers from each class what can he change?

Example:
So say I've paragon multiclassed and I've hit level 13. As I've got all three power swap feats I can swap them for free.

That is I gain back the original encounter power I gave up then I can choose to swap any encounter power of either level 3 or 7 to one of the second class(assuming the 13th level power replacement is a level 1 power being swapped for a level 13).
Then I gain back the utility power I gave up and reswap the power from levels 2, 6 or 10 for any utility power from from the second class.
Then I gain back the daily power I gave up and reswap a power from level 1, 5 or 9.
Then for my 13th level power benefit I swap a level 1 encounter power for one of level 13 (for example) I have the choice of powers from both class 1 and 2.
Then I can make use of the standard retraining level up benefit. I can swap any power I have for one of the same level. And I can do this regardless of whether I'm swapping a class 1 power for class 2 or any combination.
EDIT: Found out Retaining this way must be for the same class PHB 28

So I still have a level 7 extra instead of a level 11 paragon power and a 10th level instead of a 12th level paragon power but both those paragon powers were locked in by a single choice and these don't change.

EDIT: The question is now pretty much, when I gain a power from level up can I choose from powers on just the primary class list or from both primary and secondary class lists. PHB 209 says "you can continue to gain powers from this class rather than take a paragon path" which seems a little ambiguous.

Helgraf
2008-08-18, 01:14 AM
Q150

Unfortunately I don't have the books to look this up.

are there any penalties for bluffing against another PC or someone who knows you well?

A. 150 - Addition Only if you count the DM's willingness to give a +2/-2 adjustment for ad hoc circumstances.

Charity
2008-08-18, 02:16 AM
A151 This is a tricksome fella, I can see why no-one has jumped in...
It is less than clear by Raw Glug, it could also be argued that these can be exchanged for higher level powers later on... I think the intention is reasonably clear that it is only the Paragon path powers that are swaped for class powers, and that these are not mutable in the same way the PP ones are not... but it's not that strong an option giving up your PP so I would be disinclined to object if it were one of my players. Try Customer support over on the WotC site, you never know they might be helpful... or just talk it out with the DM/players see what they reckon.

Pink
2008-08-18, 06:37 PM
Q152

Can you ever change the enchantment or upgrade a magic item, and if so, how do you factor costs for it? The Enchant magic item ritual says nothing about further enchanting or changing the enchantment on a item that's already magical.

fractic
2008-08-18, 06:55 PM
A 152

Strictly by RAW you can't use the enchant item ritual to upgrade a magic item. The text says that it turns a normal item into a magical one.

A possible houserule would be to make upgrade cost the difference in the item prices. For instance when upgrading a +2 flaming shortsword to a +3 flaming shortsword.

Charity
2008-08-18, 07:21 PM
A (of sorts) 152 Nothing specific is mentioned, though I would imagine upgrading your +2 frostbrand to a +3 frostbrand would simply cost the difference between the two prices... and it would be handy to poor your excess residium straight into your weapon of choice.
As far as I've seen there are no double feature enchanted weapons so no +1 frosty keen sonic-boom vorpal kneecap removers have been costed, though I believe Yak came up with an elegant solution to costing these sorts of thing.

quick_comment
2008-08-19, 04:09 AM
Q143
Does the fighter power "Storm of Blows" allow you to strike the same target more than once?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-19, 04:17 AM
A. 153 (Not 143)

No, another and third target suggests otherwise.

NPCMook
2008-08-19, 05:15 AM
A. 143

Notice that those powers say can rather than must or similar, making it a voluntary decision.

I have to dispute this one;

The power says you can use the sword as the implement, if the power only have the Implement keyword, then you may only add the enhancement bonus to the power, HOWEVER, if the power has the Weapon keyword then you may add both the Enhancement and Proficiency bonus.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-19, 08:17 AM
I have to dispute this one;

The power says you can use the sword as the implement, if the power only have the Implement keyword, then you may only add the enhancement bonus to the power, HOWEVER, if the power has the Weapon keyword then you may add both the Enhancement and Proficiency bonus.

And that pertains to shifting how? :smalltongue:

The numbers were mixed up. I am responding to the first Q. 143 about shifting.

Read my answer to Q. 144 above. :smallwink:

Charity
2008-08-19, 08:30 AM
Are you using your mind tricks again Silv? You know RSJ doesn't like it when you eye ray the punters

bluescreen
2008-08-19, 01:14 PM
Q154
The wizard feat expanded spellbook allows you to write down three dailies every time you get a new one. Does this include utility spells since those are also written in your spellbook?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-19, 01:18 PM
Charity: Sometimes RSJ even requests those services from me. :smallamused:
(In exchange for certain liberties and popcorn of course)

A. 154

It only applies to attack spells.

Cilvyn
2008-08-20, 04:20 AM
Q 155

some mobs have inmediate reactions. Like an Elven archer has the ability that alouws the Elf to shft 1 space and make an attack if someone makes a melee attack against it. Is the melee attack from its opponent lost? or will the attack strike first and then the archer shifts and shoots?

Q 156

there are different reactions an stuff. Like you have : Inmediat interruption, inmediat reaction an that kind of triggers. What is the difference between them?

fractic
2008-08-20, 07:01 AM
A 155 & 156

Both immediate reactions and immediate interrupts have a triggering actions. For example the elf archer's Not So Close power has as the trigger 'an enemy makes a melee attack against the archer'. The difference between immediate reactions and immediate interrupts are the order in which the actions are executed. In case of the elven archer it's an immediate reaction, this means that the triggering action is resolved first. So the elf takes the attack and then shifts away and shoots.

Immediate interrupts are resolved before the triggering action. It's possible that because of this conditions change and the triggering action becomes impossible to do in which case it won't be resolved. For example imagine an immediate interrupt that would allow you to shift 1 square when you are the target of a melee attack. Since it's an interrupt you would be allowed to shift before the melee attack is resolved. Now this shift will probably move you out of reach so the melee attack can't be resolved.

See page 268 of the PHB for more details on immediate actions.

AoiRorentsu
2008-08-20, 02:06 PM
Q. 157

How does teleportation work through heavily obscured terrain - eg, through heavy fog? Could you teleport through heavily obscured terrain even if you don't have line of sight to your destination?

RTGoodman
2008-08-20, 02:12 PM
A 157

In such a circumstance you wouldn't be able to teleport.

Teleportation

♦ Line of Sight: You have to be able to see your destination.
♦ Line of Effect: You can teleport to a place you can see even if you don't have line of effect to it.

Basically, you don't have to have line of effect, but you do have to have line of sight. Line of sight is blocked (PHB 273) if at least one imaginary line you draw from a corner of your square to a corner of the target square DOESN'T go or touch the fog cloud, wall, or other obstruction. (That is, if all the imaginary lines you draw from you to the target touch the obstruction, you DON'T have line of sight). I'm not entirely sure, though, if lightly obscured terrain (as mentioned on PHB 281) is enough to block line of sight, though I assume heavily obscured terrain is since a fog cloud is an example there and is a specifically-mentioned example of things that can block line of sight.

There is one exception to the line of sight thing, however - warlock's leap (warlock utility 10) is a 6 square teleport that DOESN'T require line of sight. It's a daily power, though, so it's sort of limited.

Cilvyn
2008-08-21, 07:02 AM
Q158

I´ve just did my first session in version 4.0 as DM. I did a couple of combats also out of character, just for practising. Now is the problem that my party of 3 people (the other 3 were absent) can beat an encounter of 600XP (that is enough for a party of 6 people on level 1)

Or I do somthing wrong with is most thinkable since a huge amount of players playtested V4.0 or the book is wrong.

What i did: i threw a goblin encounter on them which included:
1 goblin hexer 150
1 goblin underboss 350
1 goblin warrior 100
2 goblin cutter 50

also some other encounters with a hexer, 2 warriors, skullcleaver and cutters, But they beated them with less problem..it was a little chalange: say, the tank was reduced to 2 HP and the other was bloodied and the caster still on full HP. But still it is an encounter 2 times to much XP for a 3-man-party.

What can I do to make the combat more difficult? ihad the thought of throwing more controlers and maybe some caster-hate in battle. But i would realy much like to hear your opinion!!

Thanx alot,
Cil

Edit: The combat was further normal, i am sure I used all powers correctly and used everything those goblins could give.

Edit: sorry i forgot my other question Q159

If an mob makes an atack of opertunitiy, is it aloud to use its at will power? ( the one with the circel around its icon that represents its basic attack) and do any effects that infuence the damage on that attack aply on it?
Like the goblin skullcleaver does 1d10 extra damage when it's bloodied. Does it also do 1d10 extra damage on that attack when it uses it as attack of oppertunity?

Charity
2008-08-21, 07:14 AM
Cilvyn, the answer to your question falls outside the scope of this thread, I have started a thread for you and will attempt to help you there (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4754879#post4754879)

Cilvyn
2008-08-21, 07:22 AM
Cilvyn, the answer to your question falls outside the scope of this thread, I have started a thread for you and will attempt to help you there (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4754879#post4754879)

Oh, my apolagise!

Thanx for the link.

sorry again,

Cil

Charity
2008-08-21, 07:39 AM
No worries , just pop over to the brand new shiny thread and we'll see if we cant drum up some help.

Cilvyn
2008-08-21, 07:41 AM
Q159

If an mob makes an atack of opertunitiy, is it aloud to use its at will power? ( the one with the circel around its icon that represents its basic attack) and do any effects that infuence the damage on that attack aply on it?
Like the goblin skullcleaver does 1d10 extra damage when it's bloodied. Does it also do 1d10 extra damage on that attack when it uses it as attack of oppertunity?

Still this one ;)

fractic
2008-08-21, 07:52 AM
A 159
A monster can't just use any at-will powers on an opportunity attack it can only use it's basic attack. The little circles indicate that the power is a basic attack for that monster. As for the goblin skullcleaver, his basic attack says it does more damage when bloodied so it also does that extra damage on opportunity attacks.

ashmanonar
2008-08-21, 12:18 PM
A.3. The number of healing surges is limited and is only recovered after an extended rest, wich you can do only once per day, so the party might want to conserve their healing surges for use during future combat situations.

The question the original asker was asking, I think, is wondering if, instead of using healing surges in the normal way during a short rest (just subtracting surges and adding the normal hitpoints gained), that you should use Healing Word and Inspiring word after the short rest so as to gain additional hitpoints (because of Healer's lore and the additional d6's granted by Healing and Inspiring Words.

It's a technical difference, but as long as you don't mind spending the extra time for short rests, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Nerzul9000
2008-08-22, 02:52 AM
Q: I'm not sure if anyone can answer this but does anyone know if there are any plans to bring the Bard back later in 4.0 development? i was really sad to see that class go :smallfrown:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-22, 03:21 AM
A. 160

Q: I'm not sure if anyone can answer this but does anyone know if there are any plans to bring the Bard back later in 4.0 development? i was really sad to see that class go :smallfrown:

This is more a thread about rules that exist rather than those that may be. Having said that, the bard will be back at some point.

Nerzul9000
2008-08-22, 03:25 AM
Thanks...sorry for the question, but i couldn't really find a more acceptable forum for that question

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-22, 03:28 AM
Thanks...sorry for the question, but i couldn't really find a more acceptable forum for that question

No worries, this question was "easy", but other similar questions may amount to more speculation, so such questions may be deserving of their own thread. :smallsmile:

Akvad_Dunchadt
2008-08-22, 01:34 PM
Q161

What is the advantage to using 2h weapons? As one of my players pointed out, 2 handing a versitile weapon will give the same or more damage than most of the 2h weapons. Also as far as I can tell there is no 1.5x str bonus damage for 2h. So far I have just houseruled that in, but is there any Rules Based advantage?

fractic
2008-08-22, 01:45 PM
A 161

2 handed weapons don't get 1.5 strength bonus and they shouldn't since they are strong as they are. A versatile weapon may do +1 damage when used with 2 hands that +1 is added to the damage total of the power not to the [W].

For example compare the 2 handed greatsword (1d10) to the versatile longsword (1d8) wielded in 2 hands. When using a power that would do 3[W]+str damage the greatsword would do 3*5.5+str damage on average while the longsword would do 3*4.5+str+1 damage on average. So the longsword is actually 2 damage worse off.

Viruzzo
2008-08-22, 01:50 PM
A 161 continued

2H weapons do more damage than versatile weapons of the same category.
Wheter or not the +1 is added once per [W] or just once has been subject of a debate in another thread, however IMO by RAW it is applied only once (as "when you roll for damage" means the global roll).

Akvad_Dunchadt
2008-08-22, 04:39 PM
Q161 Continued

Perhaps this is not the best place for it, but I do have trouble justifying to myself, or my players why someone would use most of the 2H weapons over their 1H counterparts in most cases. Even without the +1 dmg on the versitile. 1, 2, or even 3 average dmg more for using a 2H and giving up the shield bonuses just doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade off.

fractic
2008-08-22, 04:50 PM
Q161 Continued

Perhaps this is not the best place for it, but I do have trouble justifying to myself, or my players why someone would use most of the 2H weapons over their 1H counterparts in most cases. Even without the +1 dmg on the versitile. 1, 2, or even 3 average dmg more for using a 2H and giving up the shield bonuses just doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade off.

The damage from the 2 handed weapon scales with the strength of the power used. Also if you want a reach weapon you have no choice. Light shields don't give such a big bonus and heavy shields incur a check penalty. As with everything in the end it's a tradeoff.

quick_comment
2008-08-23, 10:59 PM
Q162

Lets say that Player 1 has higher init than player 2.

Player 1 readies an action for a certain init count, which is right after player 2.

Player 2 readies an action for player 1's action.

What happens to the respective inits?

Helgraf
2008-08-24, 12:06 AM
Q161 Continued

A 161.

Power Attack. -2 to hit for +3 damage (with a two-handed weapon) that scales up to +6 damage at paragon tier and +9 damage at epic tier. And the -2 to hit never increases.

That's an awfully fine reason to go 2 handed right there. Combine it with the +1 damage from Versatile for using, say, a battleaxe, flail, longsword, Warhammer, or War Pick, and you're chugging along nicely. Or, if you're willing to burn a feat, there's also the Bastard Sword for when you want to combine a base d10 weapon with +3 Proficiency bonus and the Versatile weapon property.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-24, 02:17 AM
A. 162

Q162

Lets say that Player 1 has higher init than player 2.

Player 1 readies an action for a certain init count, which is right after player 2.

Player 2 readies an action for player 1's action.

What happens to the respective inits?

Player 1 is not readying an action, but rather delaying the action.

When player 1's designated initiative count comes up player 1 get to act.

As a re-action to this player 2's readied action is triggered and resolved after the triggering action.

The new initiatives will have player 2 acting just before player 1 on the initiative count that player 1's delay action resulted in.

Now, if player 1 had not delayed, but had readied an action that triggered on player 2's action both would have done nothing the entire turn and acted on their normal initiative counts the next round.

MartinHarper
2008-08-24, 11:55 AM
163 Does a goblin hexer's stinging hex power apply to all movement, including shifts, teleports, and forced movement? Or, does it apply only to moves, such as move actions, charges, and Deft Strikes?

fractic
2008-08-24, 01:24 PM
A 163

The text says "if it moves during it's turn" so any sort of movement during it's turn would count, including shifting and teleporting. Forced movement probably won't happen on the creatures own turn.

Curmudgeon
2008-08-24, 02:34 PM
Q 164

(I'm just starting to read the 4e PH, so bear with me if I'm overlooking something obvious.)

Is it really the case that all locks become much more difficult to open when you advance into a new tier? You're at level 10, and doing pretty well making Thievery checks to open locks. Then you advance to level 11 (picking up nothing from half your class level due to rounding down), and suddenly all locks are tough to open (DC 20 suddenly becomes DC 30).

fractic
2008-08-24, 02:47 PM
A 164

The place where you encounter the locks determines the difficulty. There's not supposed to be heroic tier locks in a dungeon at epic levels any more that there should be kobolds. Of course locks don't get harder because you level up, locks get more difficult because you're creeping around in more dangerous places.

Curmudgeon
2008-08-24, 02:59 PM
(re: A 164)

OK, so it's not the same locks getting more difficult. But are all the new locks you encounter at level 11 much more difficult to open than the ones you opened a week ago at level 10?

fractic
2008-08-24, 03:01 PM
OK, so it's not the same locks getting more difficult.

Yes existing locks won't get more difficult because some random guy levels up.

But are all the new locks you encounter at level 11 much more difficult to open than the ones you opened a week ago at level 10?

The change doesn't have to come so sudden. A paragon tier lock on the big treasure chest at the end of a dungeon around lvl 8 seems perfectly ok.

Aron Times
2008-08-24, 04:25 PM
A 164 (Clarification)

Think of locks as encounters that your character has to overcome. Would an archmage that uses powerful elementals to guard his home use a simple lock that a level 1 character could pick to protect his valuables? Or would he use a cutting edge, Arcane Lock-enhanced lock?

MartinHarper
2008-08-25, 05:46 AM
A 163

The text says "if it moves during it's turn" so any sort of movement during it's turn would count, including shifting and teleporting. Forced movement probably won't happen on the creatures own turn.

Q 163 cont. I'm still not clear on how I can tell when "move" means "any sort of movement", as on Stinging Hex, and when it means "move movement", as on Deft Strike. What should I be looking for, as a general principle?

fractic
2008-08-25, 07:19 AM
Q 163 cont. I'm still not clear on how I can tell when "move" means "any sort of movement", as on Stinging Hex, and when it means "move movement", as on Deft Strike. What should I be looking for, as a general principle?

Movement just means that you somehow get from one square to another in someway. It doesn't matter how. If you're not convinced that teleportation is a kind of movement then see page 286 of the PHG "...to teleport-to move instantaneously...".

Eldritch_Ent
2008-08-29, 03:44 AM
Nevermind. My brain is missing tonight.

ColdSepp
2008-08-29, 07:44 AM
Q.165

Can a PC wear a non magical shield and magical bracers at the same time?

Customer Service has answered this two different ways, so I turn to the experts here.

fractic
2008-08-29, 01:17 PM
A 165

from page 244 of the PHB on item slots:

You can benefit from only one magic item that you wear in your arms slot even if [...] you can wear braces and carry a shield at the same time

The quote shows that you can equip a shield and a pair of braces at the same time. If both are magical only one would have any effect but if the shield is non magical nothing in the text limits it's use.

Ellisthion
2008-08-29, 10:39 PM
Q 166

Charging is a Standard Action. Does this mean you can Move and then Charge in a single turn? Or does the moving in the Charge take your Move Action as well?

Charity
2008-08-30, 03:39 AM
A 166 There are no full round actions in 4e. You can indeed move and then charge.

Ellisthion
2008-09-01, 12:15 AM
Q 167

The Warlord At-Will Commander's Strike says "Melee weapon". Does this imply anything? More specifically, do you have to be adjacent to the target in order to get your ally to attack it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-01, 12:40 AM
A. 167

Strictly speaking, yes.

If you look through this thread you will see more elaborate answers and a little discussion of the reasons for this.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-09-01, 01:04 PM
Q 168

I'm pretty sure that I've heard somewhere that if you take damage equal to your bloodied value, you have to make a save or something to stay alive, due to shock. Where can I find this?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-01, 01:14 PM
A. 168

The rules for Coup de Graces (PHB 288) say that if you deal damage equal to or greater than the target's bloodied value you slay the target, no save allowed.

I think that could be what you where thinking about.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-09-01, 01:20 PM
A. 168

The rules for Coup de Graces (PHB 288) say that if you deal damage equal to or greater than the target's bloodied value you slay the target, no save allowed.

I think that could be what you where thinking about.

Hrm, maybe. I was actually thinking along the 3.5 lines of "50 or more damage; DC 15 fort save or die". I had thought they had implemented a similar thing into 4e, where 50 = bloodied value, but am unsure.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-01, 01:39 PM
Hrm, maybe. I was actually thinking along the 3.5 lines of "50 or more damage; DC 15 fort save or die". I had thought they had implemented a similar thing into 4e, where 50 = bloodied value, but am unsure.

I do not even think there is such a power...

Myatar_Panwar
2008-09-01, 01:48 PM
I do not even think there is such a power...

Not a power, just a basic rule. Take more damage than your bloodied value, and theres a chance that you will die outright. Example: A mobs daily crits Bob for 50 damage. Bobs Bloodied value is 40, so bob must make some kind of check to avoid dieing outright from shock. I'm pretty sure I heard someone talking about it somewhere on these boards...

fractic
2008-09-01, 01:49 PM
Not a power, just a basic rule. Take more damage than your bloodied value, and theres a chance that you will die outright. Example: A mobs daily crits Bob for 50 damage. Bobs Bloodied value is 40, so bob must make some kind of check to avoid dieing outright from shock. I'm pretty sure I heard someone talking about it somewhere on these boards...

It must be the coup-de-grace you were thinking about. I couldn't find any other mention of such a thing. 4e did away with the whole save or die thing.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-01, 02:06 PM

Yes, I understand what you mean. What I am saying is that there is no power with that outcome, much less any basic rule.

Dhavaer
2008-09-02, 06:20 AM
Q 169

I have a Swordmage with a bastard sword. If my Swordmage wields the bastard sword is 1 hand, she deals 1d10 damage and gains a +3 AC bonus from her Swordmage Warding ability because she has a hand free. If she wields the bastard sword in 2 hands she deals 1d10+1 damage and gains a +1 AC bonus. Can my swordmage:

Hold the bastard sword in two hands during her turn, dealing 1d10+1 damage, and release the sword with one hand to gain the +3 AC bonus during her enemies' turns, at the cost of losing the +1 bonus from versatile on AoOs?

Draw and drink a potion with her free hand and then drop the phial/vial/drinkbottle it's in without losing the +3 bonus for the rest of the round?

Charity
2008-09-02, 09:58 AM
A 169 There is nothing in the rules to prevent either, droping/letting go is a free action.

As a DM I might ask you to use your minor action to change stance as it were from 2 to 1 handed to regain the extra AC benifit, but that would be my take and in no way official.

Aron Times
2008-09-02, 11:21 AM
A 166 (Clarification)

You can move before charging, but you can't move after charging.

For example, I could use a move action to move my speed, and then use a standard action to charge my speed. However, if I use the charge action first, I can't move until the next round, even if I have a move action left.

MartinHarper
2008-09-02, 02:30 PM
Q170 Is there any combat effect of higher ground, aside from steep slopes being difficult terrain (p66 DMG)? I couldn't find any, but wondered if I'd missed something.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-02, 02:40 PM
A. 170

No, there is a list of combat modifiers on page 279, which is reduced soemwhat compared to 3.5.

quick_comment
2008-09-03, 02:07 PM
Q171

Wall of Ice states:
Area wall 12 within 10 squares
Effect: You conjure a solid wall of contiguous squares filled
with arcane ice. The wall can be up to 12 squares long and
up to 6 squares high.

Can I have a wall 12 squares long and 6 squares high, or is it a total of 12 5ft blocks that I can arrange in a wall up to 6 squares high?

fractic
2008-09-03, 02:09 PM
A 171

You get to choose the floorplan for the wall. That's what the 12 indicates. You choose 12 contiguous squares and the wall appears above those squares. In each of those squares the wall is as high as you choose up to 30 ft.

OwlbearUltimate
2008-09-06, 07:19 PM
Q. 172

If my 3 man, level 11, group 5.5 hours to do 2 relatively easy encounters, what is wrong? We all just seemed to run out of spells and none of our attacks would land. Given that each player had two magical items, with an excellent dm, and a decent understanding of the rules, we have no idea what is taking us so long! Does anyone have any idea what noobie mistake we made?

fractic
2008-09-06, 07:24 PM
A 172

That question is a bit outside the scope of this topic. The only thing "wrong" I can see from your story is that you only have 2 magical items each. You're supposed to have at least 3 around level 11 items and maybe a few some levels lowers.

Your attacks should hit around 50-70% of the time. If it wasn't terrible luck with the dice maybe there was too much table talk not related to the encounter?

Zid
2008-09-07, 01:41 PM
Q 173

Is it possible to use a move action to move and then a charge action in the same round?

fractic
2008-09-07, 01:43 PM
A 173

Yes that's possible. A charge only let's you move your speed not twice your speed like in 3.5. After charging you can't take any more actions.

MartinHarper
2008-09-07, 04:13 PM
A172. Your problem as a group seems to be in landing your attacks. Did you include all the relevant bonuses to your attacks? In particular, I find players sometimes forget their weapon proficiency bonus, or a bonus from their class features (such as the "prime shot" class feature, or the fighting style choice of the fighter).

Mr. Moon
2008-09-07, 06:58 PM
Okay, hi guys. I'm not sure if this goes here, if not, tell me and I'll high-tail it elsewhere.
Q174: Can someone pleeaase give me a link to a homebrew or official site that shows the Racial Traits for High Elves? (Or if not, post them?)

Charity
2008-09-08, 05:22 AM
A 174 High elves are not in 4e AFAIK there are elves (woodland hunter types) and eldarin (fey magical types)
Eldarin would be what you are after, I imagine

They get +1 to will defence, +2 to dex, +2 to int, proficiency with swords and spears, and the Feystep encounter power.

If you are on about 3.5 then look here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Elves,_High_(Race))

Mr. Moon
2008-09-08, 10:36 AM
A 174 High elves are not in 4e AFAIK there are elves (woodland hunter types) and eldarin (fey magical types)
Eldarin would be what you are after, I imagine

They get +1 to will defence, +2 to dex, +2 to int, proficiency with swords and spears, and the Feystep encounter power.

If you are on about 3.5 then look here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Elves,_High_(Race))

Eh... Not quite. I've offed Drow, Eladrin and Elves in the campaign I'm making, and replaced them with more world-specific races (Ice, Wood and High). I was homebrewing all weekend, so I'm hoping I could shamelessly steal a few, to make my job easier. But using Eladrin as a base to go off of is a good idea. Thanks. :smallsmile:

RTGoodman
2008-09-08, 01:22 PM
A 174 Continued

The soon-to-be-released Forgotten Realms Player's Guide is going to include feats to distinguish between High Elves, Wood Elves, and other subraces, with some being based on Elves (Wild Elves, Wood Elves) and some on Eladrin (Sun Elves, Moon Elves). At least one you mention is specifically already in (as per this excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080902a)) (the Wood Elf), and you could probably just use Eladrin or one of the variants from the FRPG as High Elves. Ice Elf will probably require some homebrewing, but that shouldn't be hard.

acirruscloud
2008-09-08, 05:21 PM
When you wield a dagger, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls.Q. 175:

Does the Rogue Weapon Talent feature give you a bonus to your mainhand roll if the dagger is in the offhand? There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of reasons for a rogue to fight with two weapons if not. It makes sense to me, that a rogue offhanding a dagger would be able to land attacks more reliably with his sword, by using the dagger to feint.

RTGoodman
2008-09-08, 06:49 PM
A 175

Either the Errata or FAQ clarified that anything that gives bonuses based on your "wielding" something only does so if you're actually using it to attack. So in the case in question, the Rogue wouldn't get the bonus on his sword attack for just holding a dagger in his offhand.

EDIT: It's from the PHB FAQ (http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1396&p_created=1212604387&p_sid=c8oH-ndj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=1303&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9NTE0LDUzMyw1MzYmcF9jYXR zPSZwX3B2PTMuNTM2JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd 2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1 3aWVsZA**&p_li=&p_topview=1), and while not every considers the answers there "official," it's as official as it gets.

13. Rogue weapon talent requires you to “wield” a particular weapon. What does this mean?

Wielding means you must be using that weapon in the attack. Merely holding it while you attack with another weapon isn’t enough to qualify for any bonuses that result.

acirruscloud
2008-09-08, 06:56 PM
Is there a good reason, then, for a rogue to duel wield? Or are rangers the only ones that really have any business using an offhand weapon?

Ellisthion
2008-09-08, 06:59 PM
Q 175 continued

A 175

Either the Errata or FAQ clarified that anything that gives bonuses based on your "wielding" something only does so if you're actually using it to attack. So in the case in question, the Rogue wouldn't get the bonus on his sword attack for just holding a dagger in his offhand.

Does that mean, if you're a Wizard with Second Implement Mastery, you have to attack with the implement in question to use the implement's encounter ability?

RTGoodman
2008-09-08, 07:12 PM
(I edited my previous post with the exact FAQ quote and a link to the question at hand.)

A 175 continued

Is there a good reason, then, for a rogue to duel wield? Or are rangers the only ones that really have any business using an offhand weapon?

There are feats that give bonuses to damage and I think AC for wielding two weapons, and wielding a +1 flaming dagger and a +1 frost dagger, for instance, means you get to use either of those in your attack and decide which damage type you'll get to use. I think the Martial Power sourcebook that comes out later this year (October, maybe?) will have Fighter and possible Rogue powers that lets them better use two weapons. (The most recent preview for the book had the Tempest Fighter build for TWF fighters.)

Does that mean, if you're a Wizard with Second Implement Mastery, you have to attack with the implement in question to use the implement's encounter ability?

I believe so - if you have to make an attack to use the ability, then you probably have to actually attack with that implement. If it's a passive thing that just requires you having the implement, though, you should be able to use the power. I do know that you can use an item's powers from the item in your off-hand without having to attack, though. There was another FAQ entry (the one regarding holding items with your shield hand) that clarified that. (I could be wrong, though, and I'm AFB until tomorrow at the earliest and can't seem to get the online thing from the D&D Insider to work.)

acirruscloud
2008-09-09, 08:42 AM
Thank you. Also, pertaining to my new rogue:

Q176:

One of the level 1 rogue daily powers, and at least one higher level encounter power, allow a rogue to throw daggers at an area of enemies. Clearly it would be impossible to hold 25 daggers at once, and you obviously can't spend multiple minor actions in the middle of the power to draw each dagger from the bandoleer or whatever it is you're keeping them in. Is this how light thrown weapons always work? Do you need to spend a minor action to draw each dagger before throwing it? Or is it enough to spend a minor a minor action to sheath my rapier?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-09, 12:03 PM
A. 176

It can be accomplished with Quick Draw.

acirruscloud
2008-09-09, 12:47 PM
Q. 176cont.

But that would imply that Quick Draw is required in order to even use the Blinding Barrage power, since it requires drawing many daggers during one action.

Contrast that with arrows. Only loading a crossbow requires a minor action. Drawing an arrow from the quiver and then nocking it appears to be part of the attack action. I'm supposed to believe that throwing a knife is more akin to cranking a crossbow and then firing it, than to drawing an arrow and nocking it and firing it?

MartinHarper
2008-09-09, 12:53 PM
A176. You can also use a magical thrown weapon, per the FAQ #14:
http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1396&p_created=1212604387
In this case, you would use a minor action to sheathe your rapier, a minor action to draw your magic dagger, and a standard action to use the area attack power to hit 25 targets with your magic dagger. At the end of the attack, you would be holding your magic dagger.

PHB p217 under "Load" states: "If a power allows you to hit multiple targets, the additional load time is accounted for in the power", which applies to crossbows and bows. You could argue that the same rule should apply to thrown weapons. RAW it does not.

Note that if you are holding your rapier in your right hand, you can use your left hand to draw, hold, and throw daggers, if you are not carrying a shield or something else in your left hand.

PHB p270 explains that you need one piece of ammunition for each target, not for each potential target. A character does not have to use 25 daggers to fire a Blinding Barrage at four targets.

acirruscloud
2008-09-09, 01:02 PM
A176

PHB p217 under "Load" states: "If a power allows you to hit multiple targets, the additional load time is accounted for in the power", which applies to crossbows and bows. You could argue that the same rule should apply to thrown weapons. RAW it does not.

Note that if you are holding your rapier in your right hand, you can use your left hand to draw, hold, and throw daggers, if you are not carrying a shield or something else in your left hand.

PHB p270 explains that you need one piece of ammunition for each target, not for each potential target. A character does not have to use 25 daggers to fire a Blinding Barrage at four targets.

Thank you.

And it's good to know that my decision to keep one hand free wasn't a waste. You're right, he can toss his rapier from main hand to offhand and be free to throw daggers without sheathing it. At least then I don't need to use 2 minor actions for every thrown dagger.

And the "25 dagger" example I gave was more of a reference to Cloud of Steel, which is a Close Blast 5. Not that there will be too many situations with 25 small/medium creatures standing in a square. 'Sides, this rogue doesn't carry nearly that many daggers.

MartinHarper
2008-09-09, 01:21 PM
A176 (cont)

He can toss his rapier from main hand to offhand and be free to throw daggers without sheathing it.

He can also throw left-handed at no penalty.

As a further twist, some argue that because of the line Shuriken (5) on PHB p219, Shuriken can be drawn five at a time.

fractic
2008-09-09, 01:29 PM
A176 (cont)

He can also throw left-handed at no penalty.

As a further twist, some argue that because of the line Shuriken (5) on PHB p219, Shuriken can be drawn five at a time.

The (5) only indicates that you can only buy shuriken in sets of 5 for 1 gp. It would also suggest that you can enchant them 5 at a time. Suggesting that 5 can be drawn simultaniously with one hand is a stretch.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-09-09, 05:15 PM
A. 114

When you gain a new daily power you may choose two new spells to add to your spellbook.

When you replace a daily power you may choose one new spell, which overwrites one of your old spells from the spell book.

Expanded spellbook has no effect when you are replacing dailies.

I have a minor quibble with this answer. The wording on page 158 under the Daily and Utility section of the Spellbook heading says "Each time you gain a level that lets you select a daily or a utility spell, choose two different daily or utility spells to add to your spellbook" (emphasis mine). This leads me to believe that at level 15 (the first time you uare required to replace a daily) you would still select two dailies. Your answer seems to say otherwise. The second paragraph of that section simply says that spells are replaced on a one-to-one ratio, rather than only removing one spell and gaining two.

The wording of Expanded Spellbook states that whenever "you gain a new level of daily wizard attack spells, you learn one extra spell of that level" (page 195). This seems to say that you would gain three spells, not just two, at level 15 (where the issue of replacing becomes an issue). Since spells are replaced at a one-to-one ratio, you could gain three new spells, replacing three old spells.

I checked the most current errata, and there have been no changes to the relevant sections. If there has been a definitive answer from Wizards on this, please let me know.

mrmaxmrmax
2008-09-09, 08:35 PM
Q 177

A 12th level Battlefield Archer gets an action point that 'must be spent before the end of [its] next turn' when one of its ranged attacks drops an enemy to 0 or fewer hit points.

The PHB is pretty clear about not being able to spend more than one action point per encounter. My question is about the 'must'; Does this power allow you to use a second action point in an encounter? Perhaps it is better to say can this power force you to use a second action point in an encounter?

Maxwell.

Aron Times
2008-09-09, 08:48 PM
A 177

It doesn't say that you can go past your limit of one action point per encounter. You can only use this power at most once every other encounter (i.e. the encounter where you don't have an action point). This effectively gives the battlefield archer an action point in every encounter.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-10, 10:10 AM
I have a minor quibble with this answer. The wording on page 158 under the Daily and Utility section of the Spellbook heading says "Each time you gain a level that lets you select a daily or a utility spell, choose two different daily or utility spells to add to your spellbook" (emphasis mine). This leads me to believe that at level 15 (the first time you uare required to replace a daily) you would still select two dailies. Your answer seems to say otherwise. The second paragraph of that section simply says that spells are replaced on a one-to-one ratio, rather than only removing one spell and gaining two.

The wording of Expanded Spellbook states that whenever "you gain a new level of daily wizard attack spells, you learn one extra spell of that level" (page 195). This seems to say that you would gain three spells, not just two, at level 15 (where the issue of replacing becomes an issue). Since spells are replaced at a one-to-one ratio, you could gain three new spells, replacing three old spells.

I checked the most current errata, and there have been no changes to the relevant sections. If there has been a definitive answer from Wizards on this, please let me know.

It does not say that you may "replace spells at a one to one ratio", it says that you may replace one.

Likewise, when you are replacing spells you are not gaining "a new level of daily wizard attack spells".

MartinHarper
2008-09-10, 05:30 PM
Q178 Does Troll Healing (MM 254-255) work when a Troll is reduced to negative hit points?

fractic
2008-09-10, 05:44 PM
A 178

Monster HP isn't tracked below 0 (see page 295 of the PHB). So the troll healing should kick in even if an attack deals more damage then the current amount of hit points that the troll has.

Krezzlar
2008-09-11, 07:44 PM
Q179

Multi-parter all dealing with temporary hit points.

If I have 2 out of 5 temporary hit points remaining and use a power to gain 7 temporary hit points, do I now have 7 temporary hitpoints or does it remain at 2? (I know they don't stack). What if the power gave 4 temporary hit points? What if I were at 0 out of the original 5 temporary hit points?

Thanks

Douglas
2008-09-11, 08:01 PM
A179
How many temp hp you started with is irrelevant. The only things that matter are how many you have now and how many the new ability is giving you. Whichever of those two numbers is higher is what you have afterwards.

For the examples given:
2/5 remaining, gain 7, result is 7 temp hp
2/5 remaining, gain 4, result is 4 temp hp
0/5 remaining, gain 7, result is 7 temp hp

Dhavaer
2008-09-12, 07:05 AM
Q180 Do damage bonuses from weapon enhancements, weapon focus, hellfire blood etc apply to the damage from Fighter stances such as Rain of Steel?

fractic
2008-09-12, 07:25 AM
A 180

The Rain of steel power has the weapon keyword. So anything that boosts your damage when using a weapon applies to it.

fractic
2008-09-12, 11:32 AM
Q 181

I'm working on balancing Sure Strike against Reaping Strike but I ran into a problem.

When an effect gives you a bonus to damage rolls (such as the Weapon Focus feat or enhancement bonus on magical weapons) is this bonus added to attacks where you don't roll for the damage? For example when you miss with Reaping Strike or use the secondary damage of Cleave.

I could only find the information on page 276 of the PHB but it's not very conclusive.

gareth
2008-09-13, 04:42 AM
Q 182
Are there any limits on what an NPC Warlord's powers can work on? Is it possible, for example, to have one Warlord leading a squad of gelatinous cubes, all shifting and getting attack bonuses as if they were a party of PCs?

MartinHarper
2008-09-13, 05:36 AM
A 182 Per the PHB FAQ, you can try to find another way of describing the powers such that it makes sense. For example, the NPC might have a whistle that he uses to control the cubes' movements, or he might be weaving subtle magics that affect only his pets. Remember that the DMG allows you to reskin things however you want.

If you can't find an appropriate way of describing a Warlord/Cube combo, don't put them in the same encounter.

gareth
2008-09-13, 03:35 PM
Thanks. The warlord will obviously be named "Rubik".

mrmaxmrmax
2008-09-14, 11:17 AM
A 181

When using reaping strike (and missing) or the non-targeted opponent of cleave with a magical weapon or weapon focus, you do NOT add the enhancement bonus or feat bonus to your damage.

PHB201 You gain a +1 feat bonus to damage rolls with your choosen weapon group.

PHB235 Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls

Since you are not rolling damage for reaping strike's miss or the non-targeted opponent of cleave, you do not add that additional damage. That said, I haven't answered one of these before, so someone will let me know if I'm wrong.

Maxwell.

mrmaxmrmax
2008-09-14, 11:20 AM
Q 183

PHB235 Pact Blade Property

When a creature you have cursed with your Warlock's Curse makes a melee attack against you, deal damage to the creature equal to the pact blade's enhancement bonus.

When is this damage dealt? Is it an immediate interrupt that would kill a minion before it completes an attack on you? Or is it an immediate reaction that takes place after the attack is resolve?

Maxwell.

Ellisthion
2008-09-14, 07:08 PM
Q 184

Does Sleep work on Zombies?

Charity
2008-09-15, 03:21 AM
A 183 I believe it is a reaction, and therefore occurs after the attack, the attack must happen to trigger it... though I have no source to cite at the mo.

A 184 Yes it works, they are not immune to sleep.

ColdSepp
2008-09-15, 08:07 AM
Q.185

Generally about keywords
The Wintertouched feat says you gain combat advantage when you use a power that has the Cold keyword, if the creature is vulnerable to cold. If you are using a power with the weapon keyword, and have a frost weapon, does this trigger the feat?

Q.185b
Would a basic attack trigger the feat with the same weapon?

Q.185c
What about the Paladins Holy Strike, which changes the damage to radiant?

Thanks in advance.

fractic
2008-09-15, 08:13 AM
A 185

Vulnerability has nothing to do with key words. Vulnerability kicks in when a creature takes damage of that type. So if you you use a frost weapon against an enemy with cold vulnerability you would do the extra damage because your freezing weapon makes you do cold damage.

Using a flaming or similar weapon does however not change the keywords of your powers when you use them. But the keywords of the item power also apply

[edit]: correction

ColdSepp
2008-09-15, 09:38 AM
Q.185

Generally about keywords
The Wintertouched feat says you gain combat advantage when you use a power that has the Cold keyword, if the creature is vulnerable to cold. If you are using a power with the weapon keyword, and have a frost weapon, does this trigger the feat?

Q.185b
Would a basic attack trigger the feat with the same weapon?

Q.185c
What about the Paladins Holy Strike, which changes the damage to radiant?

Thanks in advance.

I found the answer, thanks anyway.

Like racial powers and class powers, magic item
powers often have keywords that indicate their
damage or effect types. When you use a magic item as
part of a racial power or a class power, the keywords
of the item’s power and the other power all apply. For
instance, if a paladin uses a f laming sword to attack
with a power that deals radiant damage, the power
deals both fire damage and radiant damage.

Grynning
2008-09-16, 11:07 PM
Q 186

Do racial feats like Dwarven Weapon Training and Eladrin Soldier give you proficiency with Superior weapons of the respective categories as well as martial ones? In the PHB it hardly mattered, but with the addition of several Superior axes, hammers and spears in Adventurer's Vault it would seem that these two feats just became a bit overpowered.

Edit: If they do gain proficiency with all the superior versions of the weapons, that means Eladrin Soldier gives you proficiency with the Urgrosh. That seems odd to say the least.

acirruscloud
2008-09-16, 11:38 PM
Q 187:

Say a rogue multiclasses to ranger with the Warrior of the Wild feat. In an encounter, he uses Hunter's Quarry on the nearest mob, who he is flanking, and then attacks it. Can he get both the Sneak Attack bonus and the Hunter's Quarry bonus?

I apologize if this one has already been asked, it sounds familiar.

RTGoodman
2008-09-16, 11:45 PM
A 186

I don't think the Dwarven Weapon Training feat or similar feats are intended to give proficiency with Superior weapons, but RAW I think they do. According to PHB 215, "You can learn to use a superior weapon by taking the Weapon Proficiency feat," which would seem to mean that you need the feat to be proficient with it, but the other feats' text sort of trumps that.

Dwarven Weapon Training, for instance, says you gain "proficiency [...] with axes and hammers" and Eladrin Soldier says you gain proficiency with "all" weapons of the spear category, so I think that might overrule the text above.

Basically, I'm saying it's disputable at best unless someone else can find something more definitive. :smalltongue:

Charity
2008-09-17, 03:44 AM
A 187:

Yes he can get both the Sneak Attack bonus and the Hunter's Quarry bonus... remembering his hunters quarry only lasts for one round... also if he is high enough level he also gets the extra HQ dice.

Totally Guy
2008-09-17, 11:47 AM
A 187:

Yes he can get both the Sneak Attack bonus and the Hunter's Quarry bonus... remembering his hunters quarry only lasts for one round... also if he is high enough level he also gets the extra HQ dice.

Just a nit-pick. Hunters quarry can be activated and used in one round and it ends at the end of the next round (HQ lasts one-and-a-bit rounds). You could use it in the round it's activated and a second time before it wears off. (This makes it comparable to the sneak of shadows feat: sneak attack for 2D6 one time versus quarry for 1D6 two times.)

Thomix
2008-09-17, 05:12 PM
Q 188

Is there specific rules for using encounter power outside of combat? Exemple : Did an Eladrin who use his fey step power outside of combat to cross a river (or simething like that) can use it again in the next encounter or it count as his next encounter power?

fractic
2008-09-17, 05:21 PM
A 188

You can use your encounter powers outside of combat if you want. All you need is a short rest to recover them afterwards. In effect you can use your encounter powers once every 5 minutes out of combat.

Hzurr
2008-09-19, 02:11 PM
Q189 If a fighter (or a Paladin) marks a creature, and that creature uses an ability that allows it to make multiple attacks, as long as it includes the character who marked it in one of those attacks, does it take a penalty to its other attacks against non-marking characters?

Example: Party Paladin marks a Blue Slime. The blue Slime has an ability that allows it to make 2 slam attacks. If it makes one slam attack against the fighter, and one against, say, a rogue that was standing near by, does it take a penalty on the attack against the rogue (and/or the divine smack-to-the-head that comes as a result of not using that attack against the paladin)

Shishnarfne
2008-09-19, 03:30 PM
A189
The phrase for marking is "...makes an attack that does not include the paladin," so I would interpret that as meaning that the dragon can breath on the party, and as long as the paladin gets a dose, takes no effect from the mark.

I believe that the key word in this case is "include" in place of "target," which would possibly imply that the monster needed to specifically target only the marker.

Douglas
2008-09-19, 04:12 PM
A189
That depends, I think, on whether the creature is making multiple attacks or making a single attack that happens to hit multiple targets. In the case of the Blue Slime, it is making multiple attacks and each attack that does not target the marking character gets the mark's penalties. A dragon's breath weapon, on the other hand, just needs to include the marker in its area and takes no penalty for hitting whoever else is also in the area.

RTGoodman
2008-09-21, 01:20 AM
Q 190

Here's a question on multiclassing and meeting prerequisites and such. Say I have a Tiefling Paladin with the Warlock multiclass feat for the Star Pact (you know, like the one in my sig :smallwink:).

A.) Having the multiclass feat means he qualifies for feats and such that have the prerequisite of "Warlock," right?

B.) If so, if he took the Twofold Pact feat (spoilered below for reference), how would that work? Without the feat, he doesn't have the Pact Boon ability for his Pact since the multiclass feat only gives the at-will for the Pact as an encounter ability. RAW, with the feat, does he gain access to both of the Pact Boons AND at-wills of both (though the at-wills are presumably as encounters, as normal), even though he'd normally NOT have the pact boon?

Twofold Pact
.....Prerequisites: 11th level, tiefling, warlock
.....Benefit: You gain a second Eldritch Pact. You
gain the at-will spell and pact boon of both pacts.
You can use only one of your pact boon benefits at
a time, however.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-09-21, 01:29 AM
A. 190

It is one of those areas that could use a little more clarification. The text, however, is fairly clear in this instance, you get it all.
(If that corresponds with the RAI, they should have considered the wording of the multiclass rules a lot better and if it does not correspond with the RAI they messed it up)

Jokes
2008-09-21, 02:44 AM
A190

The pre-reqs were changed in the compilation (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drtoc/366). You now need the Eldritch Pact class feature to qualify. But you don't need to be a Tiefling either.

Twofold Pact
Prerequisites: 11th level, Eldritch Pact class feature
Benefit: You gain a second Eldritch Pact. You gain the at-will spell and pact boon of both pacts. You can use only one of your pact boon benefits at a time, however.

RTGoodman
2008-09-21, 12:53 PM
A190

The pre-reqs were changed in the compilation (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drtoc/366). You now need the Eldritch Pact class feature to qualify. But you don't need to be a Tiefling either.

Twofold Pact
Prerequisites: 11th level, Eldritch Pact class feature
Benefit: You gain a second Eldritch Pact. You gain the at-will spell and pact boon of both pacts. You can use only one of your pact boon benefits at a time, however.

Ah, dangit. I assumed they updated each individual article when they did the "errata" for them during the compilation. Oh well...

Jokes
2008-09-21, 09:51 PM
Q191 (Adventurer's Vault)

If a character decides to switch Ritual Casting for Alchemy, do they get the same bonus recipes as their class gets for rituals?

Ah, dangit. I assumed they updated each individual article when they did the "errata" for them during the compilation. Oh well...

Cos that would be the sensible thing to do...

DarknessLord
2008-09-21, 11:51 PM
Q 192
Does the Ranger's Twin strike (or any other power that allows separate attacks that can be at the same or different targets) allow him to wait to see if the first attack kills before deciding who to attack with the second attack, or does he have to commit to both targets before making either attack?