PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) [Special 4e Edition]

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

skywalker
2008-09-22, 12:29 AM
Q 193

When an ability is used that grants temporary hit points, do those hit points also apply to minions?

As an example, when a kobold wyrmpriest uses the incite faith power, which grants temporary hit points to kobold allies within a certain radius, do kobold minions gain these as well?

Jokes
2008-09-22, 01:20 AM
A193

A minion is destroyed when it takes any amount of damage.

In theory they could, but the above (bolded mine) indicates it would be pointless.

DizzyD
2008-09-22, 07:31 AM
Q# 193
Does the rouges sneak attack apply to all damage rolls on a single attack or just one. For example does it apply to all enemy's hit with blinding barrage or just 1 enemy (as long as you have combat advantage on them).

And if you used your sneak attack, Can you use it again with an action point?

RTGoodman
2008-09-22, 11:26 AM
A 194 (not 193)

Q# 193
Does the rouges sneak attack apply to all damage rolls on a single attack or just one. For example does it apply to all enemy's hit with blinding barrage or just 1 enemy (as long as you have combat advantage on them).

And if you used your sneak attack, Can you use it again with an action point?

The Rogue's Sneak Attack class feature says that "Once per round, when you have combat advantage against an enemy [...] you make an attack against that enemy that deals extra damage if the attack hits." (Emphasis mine.)

From that, you apply sneak attack to AN attack against one specific enemy. If you use an action point, I still believe it's your turn, so I don't think that bypasses the "one per turn" clause either.

Basically, once per turn (no matter how long the turn is) against one enemy (no matter how many you attack), you can deal extra damage provided you meet the requirements.

Jokes
2008-09-22, 09:22 PM
A191 (Adventurer's Vault)

In answer to my own question

Technically, the feat does not state that it gives you the starting rituals (or later bonus rituals that a Wizard would get from his spellbook), so unfortunately the answer is no.

However, this does seem like a reasonable thing to discuss with your DM and see if he would allow you to have. I know I'm allowing it in the game I run with an alchemist.

Wowbagger
2008-09-25, 10:40 AM
Q 195

Can powers that require a ranged weapon be used with heavy thrown weapons or improvised thrown weapons?

Mauril Everleaf
2008-09-25, 09:08 PM
A 195 From page 270: "...if you are using thrown weapons, you need one [thrown weapon] for each target."

The text simply states "thrown weapons" not just "light thrown weapons" so, by RAW (and likely RAI) heavy and improvised thrown weapons would be applicable. Keep in mind though, that improvised thrown weapons are likely to not be magical and you will need one for each target. With magical thrown weapons, from the errata, the weapon returns after an attack is resolved against a target, so one magical thrown weapon will suffice for multiple enemies.

Frosty
2008-09-25, 11:02 PM
Q 196 The Warlock's Leap power states that:

Daily ✦ Arcane, Teleportation
Move Action Personal
Effect: You teleport 6 squares. You do not need line of sight
to the destination, but if you attempt to teleport to a space
you can’t occupy, you don’t move.

Does this mean that if I am say...outside of a building that is completely locked up with no openings (I can't see inside, and there is no opening for me to physically get inside), that I can use this to Teleport through the walls and into the building?

I guess what I'm asking for really is the Line of Effect rules for 4e and how they interact with this power.

skywalker
2008-09-25, 11:30 PM
a 196

From Page 273 of the PHB:

Line of Effect: You can target a creature or a square if there’s an unblocked path between it and you—that is, if you have line of effect to it. If every imaginary line you trace to a target passes through or touches a solid obstacle, you don’t have line of effect to the target.

Frosty
2008-09-25, 11:36 PM
Then why would I want that Power if I can't teleport through solid walls with it?

skywalker
2008-09-25, 11:43 PM
Then why would I want that Power if I can't teleport through solid walls with it?

You asked for Line of Effect rules, I gave them. I have absolutely no idea whether or not you need line of effect to cast the spell, altho the third paragraph of line of effect:

"You need line of effect to any target you attack and to any space in which you wish to create an effect. When you make an area attack, you need line of effect to the attack’s origin square. To hit a target with the attack, there must be line of effect from the origin square to the target."

Indicates that you do need line of effect.

Frosty
2008-09-25, 11:49 PM
The Power itself mention nothing of LoE, so I assume it does apply. It's only good if somehow I don't have LoS but have LoE. When does that happen anyways?

skywalker
2008-09-26, 12:43 AM
The Power itself mention nothing of LoE, so I assume it does apply. It's only good if somehow I don't have LoS but have LoE. When does that happen anyways?

Page 273 mentions darkness, fog, a pitch-dark room, and "other types of obscured squares." The DMG adds "mist" to the list.

Douglas
2008-09-26, 01:09 AM
A196
See page 286 of the PHB for the section on Teleportation. In particular, teleportation does not require line of effect unless otherwise specified. It does normally require line of sight, but this particular power specifies otherwise. The power does not overrule the normal rule for line of effect, so this power requires neither line of sight nor line of effect. You do, however, still have to be able to fit in the destination space without squeezing.

Short answer: Yes, you can use this power to get inside a seemingly secure buildings - as long as your guess about where there's enough room is correct, and you only get one attempt per day. If you happen to try teleporting into a small closet or an internal wall, it will fail.

McMindflayer
2008-09-26, 02:02 AM
Q:197 I Am a warlock. I am deciding on several wands. Then a thought occured. Can I weild two wands and gain their properties simultaneously? I'm not talking about enhancement bonus. But their properties? Like lets say I'm wielding two wands. One says I get my pact boon when a cursed opponent hits bloodied, and the other says I get a bonus to my pact boon when it activates. Do both applie when I knock a guy to bloodied?

Thomix
2008-09-26, 08:26 AM
Q 198

What is the damage bonus for weilding a weapon 2 handed?

Kredine
2008-09-26, 08:46 AM
A 198
I believe the you get 1 and half your strength bonus to attacks, unless the weapon in light.

Q199
What LA+0 Races are there that grant a charisma bonus?

ColdSepp
2008-09-26, 10:00 AM
Q 198

What is the damage bonus for wielding a weapon 2 handed?

A. 198
Unlike 3E, there is no damage bonus. However, some Fighter Powers only work with two handed weapons. Also, the Power Attack feat does more damage with a two handed weapon.

Shishnarfne
2008-09-26, 10:01 AM
A 198
I believe the you get 1 and half your strength bonus to attacks, unless the weapon in light.

Q199

A 198
You get your Str bonus to damage on basic attacks, (someone can double-check epic tier), just like one-handed weapons. If you wield a versatile weapon two-handed, you get an additional +1 to damage. Otherwise, it goes as mentioned in the Power description (I think some fighter powers get additional benefits for two-handed weapons). There is no such thing as a light weapon in 4e.

Level Adjustment is GONE in 4e. In the PHB, Halflings, Half-elves, Dragonborn, and Tieflings get a Cha bonus. In the Monster Manual, IIRC, Gnomes and Drow... There are probably more there.

If you meant a Cha bonus in 3.5, we still have the 3.5 Simple Q&A thread, but I think it might just be Spellscales with a Cha bonus at LA+0

Edit: I have been ninja'd!

ColdSepp
2008-09-26, 10:03 AM
A 198

Q199

A.199
4E Doesn't have LA. I am guessing you meant to ask this on the 3E thread. If not, Drow, Dragonborn, Half Elves, Tieflings and Halflings have a Charisma bonus. Humans may, as they have a floating +2.

MM: Gnome, Goblin, and Hobgoblin

Edit: Ninja'd as well!

Mando Knight
2008-09-26, 03:20 PM
Q:197 I Am a warlock. I am deciding on several wands. Then a thought occured. Can I weild two wands and gain their properties simultaneously? I'm not talking about enhancement bonus. But their properties? Like lets say I'm wielding two wands. One says I get my pact boon when a cursed opponent hits bloodied, and the other says I get a bonus to my pact boon when it activates. Do both applie when I knock a guy to bloodied?

A: 197 Wands do not have such a capability, but rods do. If you are wielding two magical weapons/implements with bonus properties, then they both apply unless they overlap. For example, a Star Pact Warlock with a +3 Bloodcurse Rod and a +3 Rod of the Hidden Star bloodies his opponent with his Eldritch Blast using his Bloodcurse Rod to make the attack, his Star Pact activates, allowing him to activate either of his Rod of the Hidden Star powers. He does not, however, get these benefits if he used the Rod of the Hidden Star to make the attack that bloodies his opponent. (Bloodcurse Rod specifically states that the bloodying power has to be made with that Rod.)

Since Rods, Orbs, Wands do not have weapon statblocks (and thus no definitive answer on whether they have the "Off-Hand" property), it is up to your DM do decide whether a Warlock or Wizard can dual-wield these implements.

A 198 ... There is no such thing as a light weapon in 4e.

Not entirely true, as the "light weapon" category has been replaced with the "Off-Hand" weapon property. In 4E, these are the only weapons that a character other than a 2-Weapon style Ranger can use in the off-hand.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-09-27, 05:42 PM
Q 200

I know you get a bonus to damage if you are wielding a 1-handed weapon in two hands, but you gain a bonus to damage if you are wielding a 2-handed weapon with two hands? Like normal?

fractic
2008-09-27, 05:54 PM
A 200

You don't get a damage bonus for wielding a one handed weapon in two hands unless it's a versatile weapon. There is no damage bonus for two handed weapons either, they just have bigger damage die.

skywalker
2008-09-27, 06:04 PM
Q 201

Are there rules anywhere for the amount of wealth higher level characters start with? This would be helpful for purchasing magic items, etc.

fractic
2008-09-27, 06:11 PM
A 201

The rules are on page 143 of the DMG. A character starting at higher level gets 3 magic items, one of eir level, one a level higher and the last one level lower. Ey also gets a number of GP equal to the price of a magic item one level lower.

I personally think it's a good idea to slightly deviate from this when starting at level 2 or 3 and give out only 1 and 2 items respectively.

Charity
2008-09-27, 07:10 PM
Answer to a question someone asked a while ago, I can't find it now, I think it was a thread... anyhow the Q went something like

Q As a swordmage can I use a two handed weapon and at the end of my attack release 1 hand and gain the benefits of the +3 swordmage warding... It has taken me a while to find a decent answer and the best I could find is this.

re-reading Swordmage Warding I can see a reason why this would work for versatile weapons but not two-handed weapons: Swordmage Warding says you have to wield a blade, not just hold it. I think you should have to hold onto a two-handed weapon with both hands to be reasonably considered to be wielding it, so this trick only works for versatile weapons.

Mando Knight
2008-09-29, 03:40 PM
Q 202 Forgotten Realms: In the PHB, Bahamut is a Lawful Good deity, but in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide and Player's Guide, he seems to be listed as a Good deity. Which one is he for FR... do Bahamut's Paladins have to be Good rather than LG in FR?

Charity
2008-09-30, 03:41 AM
A202 If you are playing in FR then take the FR as canon. Otherwise use the PHB version... though I see no reason why they should differ, and I imagine your DM will be happy either way.

Lord Mika
2008-09-30, 04:18 PM
Q 203 4th edition faerun player's guide Shyran Cataclysm in swordmage paregon paths. does this ability do 5d8 + INT MOD of fire,cold,thunder,electricity, and acid seperatly or all together. power lever = ??? :smallfurious::smallconfused:

erikun
2008-09-30, 04:41 PM
A 203
OVER 9000!?!

Anyways, the power deals a total of 5d8 + INT modifier + bonuses in damage. The damage dealt is a combination of Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, and Thunder damage.

The relevant text is in PHB p.55, although it has been errata'd by WotC. Basically, something needs to resist all 5 types to resist Shyran Cataclysm, and even then, they can only resist by the lowest amount.

Valdar
2008-10-02, 06:54 PM
Ok, this looks like an excerpt from a D&D certification exam, but here goes:

Q204: What happens when you're out of healing surges and you get a healing surge drained (Wight attack, blown a skill challenge roll, etc?)

Q205: If you're taking half damage (insubstantial defender, weakened attacker, swarm attacked with melee or ranged) from something you're vulnerable to (radiant usually), is the vulnerability damage halved as well, or is it applied after the incoming damage is halved?

Q206: Dazed creatures can only take one action. Can a dazed creature use an action point and take a second action, or does the initial description of the Dazed condition override that?

Q207: Can you delay your action if you're unconscious, hoping you'll get healed, and still act in a round in which you were unconscious during your initial initiative phase (is 'phase' the right word here)?

Mando Knight
2008-10-02, 07:20 PM
Ok, this looks like an excerpt from a D&D certification exam, but here goes:

Q204: What happens when you're out of healing surges and you get a healing surge drained (Wight attack, blown a skill challenge roll, etc?)

Q205: If you're taking half damage (insubstantial defender, weakened attacker, swarm attacked with melee or ranged) from something you're vulnerable to (radiant usually), is the vulnerability damage halved as well, or is it applied after the incoming damage is halved?

Q206: Dazed creatures can only take one action. Can a dazed creature use an action point and take a second action, or does the initial description of the Dazed condition override that?

Q207: Can you delay your action if you're unconscious, hoping you'll get healed, and still act in a round in which you were unconscious during your initial initiative phase (is 'phase' the right word here)?

A 204: If you're out of healing surges and something tries to remove a surge from you, nothing happens. You do not have the surge required to activate the effect.

A 205: Vulnerability damage is an extra amount of damage from the creature's own disability, not from the attack itself, so it takes the full bonus damage from the vulnerability.

A 206: If you are Dazed, you may only make one action normally, but the text does not prohibit spending an action point to take a second action, as using an action point is a free action--which is specifically allowed by the text of the dazed status.

A 207: If you are unconscious, you may not delay since the text for Delay states "You also can't delay if you're dazed or if you're unable to take actions." (Emphasis mine) The text for Unconscious states "You can't take actions." Thus, you cannot delay while unconscious.

MartinHarper
2008-10-03, 06:44 AM
A 197 (reference): http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1396

19. Can a Warlock benefit from holding two rods?
Yes, a warlock can gain the properties from two rods but he still can only use one to make an attack.

Hzurr
2008-10-03, 10:39 AM
Q208

A question on cover:

Character 'A' knows that enemy B is 4 squares down a hallway that is 10' wide. Character A stays just around the corner of the wall, and shoots arrows at enemy B. Character A claims that since the bottom right corner of his square can have a line that touches all corners of enemy B's square, enemy B does not have cover (because he has line of site, and line of effect). See below for a poor illustration

*****AA*****
*****BA*****
*****AA*****
*****AA*****
*****AA*****
AAAAA

Now, if enemy B was directly around the corner (diagonal from the space that character A was in, he would have partial cover from melee attacks, even though he would still have "line of sight" and "line of effect." So if I'm understanding the way that partial cover works, enemy B should still have partial cover from character A's ranged attacks, correct? I'm pretty sure about this answer, but for some reason my player had a real problem with it.

RTGoodman
2008-10-03, 01:55 PM
A 208

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (I'm AFB right now), but I think I'm right here.

Line of Sight: You've got LoS if any lines you draw from a corner of your square connect to any corner of your opponent's square without TOUCHING an object. Running along a solid wall, as in your example, BLOCKS LoS, but not LoE or anything.

Cover: If you have LoS to your target but some of your imaginary lines touch OR run along solid obstacles, then the opponent has cover. If one to three of your lines touch or run along an obstacle, the target has Partial Cover. If all four touch or run along and obstacle, they have Total Cover.

Basically, a line running along a wall is "blocked" for the purposes of determining Cover and LoS, but not for determining LoE.

In both of your questions/examples (the one with the diagram, and the one assuming A and B are just around the corner from each other), B has Partial Cover against A and gains the bonuses that entails.

Mando Knight
2008-10-03, 02:58 PM
A 197 (reference): http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1396

Yay, I was right without even looking at WotC's FAQs 'n stuff!:smallbiggrin:

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-05, 03:18 PM
Q 209
I'm a human, and I have the the feat that gives me saving throws when I spend an action point (PHB 202) and the feat that gives me a +2 bonus to saving throws when I'm out of action points (FRPG 136).
I have one action point left, which I spend to make an attack. I then immediately get my saving throws. Do I get the +2 bonus on my saves? Technically, I just spent my last action point, the the saves I receive are a result of the use of that action point, whereas the bonus is a result of its absence.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-05, 03:48 PM
A. 209

Yes, you do not have any action points at the time you are making the save even if it follows immediately after you have spent it.
(Note I did not check the wording in FRPG)

Charity
2008-10-06, 04:39 AM
FRPG agrees with you Silvanos,

Keyword

Colmarr
2008-10-08, 01:41 AM
A208: I disagree with RTG9022. From the DMG:

✦ Choose a Corner: The attacker chooses one corner of a square he occupies, and draws imaginary lines from that corner to every corner of any one square the defender occupies. If none of those lines are blocked by a solid object or an enemy creature, the attacker has a clear shot. The defender doesn’t have cover. (A line that runs parallel right along a wall isn’t blocked.) (My bolding)

If A chooses their top right or bottom right corners, none of their "imaginary lines" is blocked by a solid object, so B does not have cover.

This is to allow the quite realistic situation where A sidles out just far enough to nail B (who has no cover), but where B cannot equally easily return fire (because most of A's body is behind the wall).

Boo
2008-10-08, 03:25 AM
Q. 210

By pre-4e rules...

What would be better to combine with the Drunken Master PrC from Sword and Fist? An average Monk? Or a Ki Striking Monk (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ki_Striking_Monk_(DnD_Class))?

(Note: Ki Striking Monk is a homebrew that I found on D&D Wiki.)

@V: Right, sorry.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-08, 03:30 AM
Q. 210

By pre-4e rules...

What would be better to combine with the Drunken Master PrC from Sword and Fist? An average Monk? Or a Ki Striking Monk (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ki_Striking_Monk_(DnD_Class))?

(Note: Ki Striking Monk is a homebrew that I found on D&D Wiki.)Wrong Q&A thread. The one you want is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87867), and this question is really not suited for either RAW thread, as it is opinion, not fact.

Edit:The correct answer, of course, is a Swordsage.

Lord Herman
2008-10-08, 09:02 AM
Q 211: When a power says it deals, say, 3[W] + Strength damage, does Strength mean only the base modifier, or does it also include your level bonus?

v, Thanks :smallsmile:

fractic
2008-10-08, 09:44 AM
A 211

You don't get half your level as a bonus to damage. See page 276 of the PHB for what does apply to a damage roll.

Aahz
2008-10-09, 06:08 PM
Q 212

I don't have my books handy, I imagine this is a really easy one. How is it possible to use multiple daily powers in a day, or multiple encounter powers in an encounter? I'm not asking about class-specific feats, but more in general. Is there some progression chart I'm forgetting about which gives you the ability to use multiple daily powers per day as you gain levels? Or are you always restricted to a single daily power (from a increasingly powerful set) as you level?

Douglas
2008-10-09, 06:13 PM
A212
There is no overall limit on dailies/day or encounter powers/encounter. Each and every ability has a separate number of uses. If you have 2 daily powers, you can use each of them once per day for a total of 2 dailies/day. If you have 10 daily powers somehow, you could use all 10 of them once each in the same day. Same with encounter powers, the limit is all on each individual power, not the total.

The only exception to this is daily powers derived from items. Each item ability is individually limited to 1/day, but there is a limit on the total specifically for item powers. You can use one item daily per tier each day. Heroic tier characters can only use one item daily/day, Paragon can use two, and Epic three. Every two encounters in the same day gives you one additional item daily that day. If you don't have enough items with daily abilities to fill out this limit, then it doesn't really matter.

fractic
2008-10-09, 06:14 PM
A 212

You get more powers as you level up. Check the table on page 29 of the PHB.

Aahz
2008-10-09, 06:58 PM
Thank you--that was my confusion, I knew you got more daily powers, but I didn't realize that each one could be used once per day.

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-09, 09:22 PM
A212
There is no overall limit on dailies/day or encounter powers/encounter. Each and every ability has a separate number of uses. If you have 2 daily powers, you can use each of them once per day for a total of 2 dailies/day. If you have 10 daily powers somehow, you could use all 10 of them once each in the same day. Same with encounter powers, the limit is all on each individual power, not the total.

The only exception to this is daily powers derived from items. Each item ability is individually limited to 1/day, but there is a limit on the total specifically for item powers. You can use one item daily per tier each day. Heroic tier characters can only use one item daily/day, Paragon can use two, and Epic three. Every two encounters in the same day gives you one additional item daily that day. If you don't have enough items with daily abilities to fill out this limit, then it doesn't really matter.

Class Dailies and Encounters cap at 4. After level 9, when you have 3, you replace until level 20, where you get #4, and then you replace until 30 again. Same for encounter powers, but you get those at different levels.

And you can use more item powers after reaching a milestone.

RTGoodman
2008-10-10, 01:38 AM
Q 213

I'm building a Swordmage based on the information from the D&D Compendium in the D&D Insider thingie, and I came across this:

Frost Backlash[TAB]Swordmage Attack 1
Daily[TAB]Arcane, Cold, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Trigger: An adjacent creature hits you
Target: The creature that hit you
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 3[W] + Intelligence modifier cold damage.
Miss: Half damage.

Is this the correct wording of the power, based on the version from FRPG? If so, someone's gonna have to explain to me why a Standard Action power has a Trigger, as if it were an Immediate Reaction/Interrupt, and what the power is supposed to do. Is it actually a Reaction/Interrupt, or is it a normal Standard Action attack that forces you to attack someone that has his you?

JBento
2008-10-10, 04:41 AM
A 213
Good catch. According to the FRPG, it's an immediate interrupt

Mauril Everleaf
2008-10-10, 07:22 PM
Q 214 I was rolling up a drow recently and decided to check the difference (if any) between the MM version and the FRPG version. I noticed something that seemed odd to me. The Darkfire in the MM is [Stat] +2 vs Reflex while the FRPG Darkfire is [Stat] +4 vs Reflex. Has this been errata'd, or is the FR drow just that much better at Darkfiring?

skywalker
2008-10-11, 01:48 PM
A 214

Since the FRPG write-up is a full race write-up and intended to be the primary resource for someone playing that race, go with that. There has been no errata, and when Wizards released the MM errata, it didn't say anything about the Drow. But I think the strategy for the "back of the book races" was that you could start playing now with those rules, but the real rules are the ones in the full write-ups.

archmage45
2008-10-12, 08:45 AM
Q215

Sleep spell

Am I reading this right? Kobolds win initiative. They do their thing. Wizard goes next, and casts sleep, hitting 4 of them. Now, rather then going to sleep they are slowed. Next turn they do their thing slowed, and then they make their saving throws to see if they fall asleep?

Thanks!

fractic
2008-10-12, 10:52 AM
A 215
That's right. First they are slowed. If they make their first saving throw they go back to being normal but if they fail their first save they fall asleep.

Dancing_Zephyr
2008-10-12, 04:02 PM
Q216
If I had a rogue with the Wintertouched and Lasting Frost feats and a frost weapon, could I keep sneak attacking a target if I keep hitting him?

fractic
2008-10-12, 04:18 PM
A 216

Yes that would work. The keywords from the weapon power also apply on the attacks you make with those weapons.

Kyjibo
2008-10-13, 03:52 PM
Q 217
Is there a rule written anywhere that states a player may not have two deities?
I have a player who wants to take the Initiate of the faith multiclass feat to become a paladin/cleric and is wondering if this would allow them to take another Channel Divinity Feat from a second deity.

Furthermore, is it even necessary to take this multiclass feat or could one make a Paladin or Cleric that worshiped more than one deity and get more than one channel divinity feat that way?
I'm talking about feats such as Avandra's Rescue or Moradin's Resolve.

I know that theoretically the deities should at least have similar viewpoints, but by the RAW is it restricted in any way?

fractic
2008-10-13, 04:28 PM
A 217

On page 61 of the PHB in the cleric description it says that some clerics worship multiple dieties or just philosophies.

While I don't think it's intended that you take multiple channel divinity feats I don't think it's unbalancing since you can only use one per encounter and it does cost a feat.

EndlessWrath
2008-10-13, 05:13 PM
Q. 218 Can an item in 4e have multiple Weapon enchantments?

for example. Can a Bastard Sword have +1 life-drinker and +2 Vicious? or must you buy separate weapons?

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-13, 05:35 PM
A. 218 No. There are no rules for magic items having more than one magical property, and it wouldn't make sense for something to be '+1 X' and '+2 Y' in any case, since there can only be one enhancement bonus.

The Adventurer's Vault has a ritual on p. 199 for transferring a magical enchantment from one item to another, but if you use it on an already magical item, the original enchantment is lost.

Wowbagger
2008-10-14, 10:25 PM
Q 219

With an action point it’s possible for a ranger to hit two different targets marked as his ‘Hunter’s Quarry’ in a single round. If the ranger waits to decide until ‘after all the attacks are rolled’, can he choose to apply the bonus damage to an enemy that is not currently his quarry, but that was his quarry when an attack took place?

Mauril Everleaf
2008-10-14, 11:26 PM
A 219

Once per round, you deal extra damage to your
quarry. The extra damage is based on your level. If
you can make multiple attacks in a round, you decide
which attack to apply the extra damage to after all the
attacks are rolled.
The hunter’s quarry effect remains active until the
end of the encounter, until the quarry is defeated, or
until you designate a different target as your quarry.
You can designate one enemy as your quarry at a
time.(Emphasis mine.)
While the text states that you determine which attack to apply HQ damage to after attacks are rolled, it also states that you can only do extra damage to a target that is your quarry and that a creature is no longer your quarry when you designate another creature as your quarry. So, no, you must choose to deal HQ damage to the first target before switching the target of your HQ or you cannot deal HQ damage to it (and may deal it to the second target only).

Arbitrarity
2008-10-15, 03:43 PM
Q 220:
Is it possible to cast a ritual without being trained in the key skill of the ritual?
There is no errata about this (the sole ritual errata changes the level of the Brew Potion ritual, and I can't find anything in the "key skills" section.

Key Skill
A ritual’s key skill determines the type of components
required to perform the ritual, and if a ritual requires
a skill check, the key skill is used for the check. If this
entry ends with “(no check),” then the ritual does not
require a skill check.
If a ritual has more than one key skill, you choose
which skill to use. Your choice determines both the
components you use and the skill you use for any
checks required by the ritual.
Unless a ritual’s description says otherwise, you
make your skill check when you finish performing a
ritual. You can’t take 10 on one of these skill checks.
Nothing about being trained. Anyone have any opposing information, or can my Wizard cast Raise Dead with no problems?

Enlong
2008-10-15, 09:26 PM
Q. 221

The spell Black Fire deals "6d6 + intelligence modifier fire and necrotic damage."
Does this mean that it deals 6d6 Fire damage and 6d6 Necrotic damage? Or does it mean that it deals 6d6 points of damage, half of which is Fire, and the other half of which is Necrotic?
(the former would mean an average of 18 fire and 18 necrotic, and the latter would mean an average of 18 damage, 9 of which is fire, and 9 of which is Necrotic.)

Douglas
2008-10-15, 09:42 PM
A221
Neither. It means that whatever resistances, immunities, or vulnerabilities the target has for those damage types, the worst one applies. For example, a target with resist fire 5 and vulnerability necrotic 5 would take 5 extra damage from the vulnerability and the resistance would have no effect. The damage listed is the total before such modifiers.

Colmarr
2008-10-16, 12:44 AM
Q 220:
Is it possible to cast a ritual without being trained in the key skill of the ritual?
There is no errata about this (the sole ritual errata changes the level of the Brew Potion ritual, and I can't find anything in the "key skills" section.

Nothing about being trained. Anyone have any opposing information, or can my Wizard cast Raise Dead with no problems?

I believe you are correct. Assuming a character:

can cast rituals
has learned the appropriate ritual
has the appropriate ritual components; and
succeeds at any necessary skill check

then they can perform the ritual.

Dentarthur
2008-10-16, 09:56 AM
Q 222

Suppose my paladin Divine Challenges an enemy, who then attacks someone else and takes the radiant damage. If I use Challenge on him again later in the encounter, and he again attacks someone other than me, will he take damage again?

ColdSepp
2008-10-16, 10:59 AM
Q 222

Suppose my paladin Divine Challenges an enemy, who then attacks someone else and takes the radiant damage. If I use Challenge on him again later in the encounter, and he again attacks someone other than me, will he take damage again?

A 222
Yes. The mark from divine challenge lasts as long as you meet the conditions to maintain it.

On your turn, you must engage the target you challenged or challenge a different target. To engage the target, you must either attack it or end your turn adjacent to it.

As long as the target is marked, it takes the damage when the conditions are met, but only once per turn.
Also, it takes radiant damage equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier the first time it makes an attack that doesn’t include you as a target before the start of your next turn

It takes the -2 to hit on every attack, but the damage only on the first attack per turn, as long as the attacks aren't against you.

Totally Guy
2008-10-17, 08:58 AM
Q223: Attack powers can target objects. Are powers that target reflex automatically a hit? What about fortitude? Is will an auto miss?

Example: The players were doing an archery contest, the bullseye had a well defined AC and the players were expected to use basic ranged attacks against it. The warlock wanted to target the bullseye with a different type of defence power.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-17, 09:12 AM
A. 223

Objects are assigned both reflex and fortitude defenses, but are to anything targeting will.

You can see more about it on page 65-66 of the DMG.

Arkaon
2008-10-18, 05:22 AM
Q224: As a rogue, if you score a critical hit. Is your sneak attack damaged maxed as well?

Maximum Damage: Rather than roll damage,
determine the maximum damage you can roll with
your attack. This is your critical damage. (Attacks
that don’t deal damage still don’t deal damage on a
critical hit.)

Extra Damage: Magic weapons and implements, as
well as high crit weapons, can increase the damage
you deal when you score a critical hit. If this extra
damage is a die roll, it’s not automatically maximum
damage; you add the result of the roll.

The way it reads, it sounds like only damage from magic is not maxed.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-18, 06:23 AM
A. 224

Yes, you are reading that correctly.

The Extra Damage section you are quoting refers to things that deal extra damage on a critical hit and not things that just deals extra damage in general.

gareth
2008-10-19, 02:18 AM
Q 225
If you choose the Orb of Imposition Class Feature for your wizard, can he still use a magic Staff to get enhancements to attack rolls, damage, and item powers?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-19, 03:38 AM
A. 225

Yes, you are not prevented from using implements other than the one you have chosen to master.

Killer Qban
2008-10-19, 11:08 AM
Q. 226

How much regular damage and extra damage does a Level 2 Tiefling Starlock (14 Con) with a +1 pact blade and the Hellfire Blood Feat deal when he uses Dire Radiance? Is it 1d6+2+1+1 and if it moves closer another 1d6+2+1+1 or is the "when it moves toward you" dmg considered ongoing dmg thus doesn't get the extra +1+1 dmg from the pact blade and the feat?

Siegel
2008-10-20, 03:08 PM
Q. 227

Target suffers effect X. Save ends.

What save ?

erikun
2008-10-20, 03:28 PM
A. 226

Magical bonuses from weapons only apply to the initial attack. It would not apply to the bonus damage dealt if the target moves closer on its turn.

"This bonus does not apply to any ongoing damage or other damage that might be applied to the attack."
PHB p. 232

Offhand, I would say that feat bonuses do not apply on secondary damage, either. I don't have a handy section of the PHB to quote for that, but the term "when you use a power..." means when you are using the power, not extra effects that happen after using the power.

Thus, Dire Radiance deals an initial 1d6+4 damage (+2 Con, +1 pact blade, +1 Hellfire Blood) and another 1d6+2 (+2 Con) if the target moves closer to you on its turn.

A. 227

Whenever you affected something with the (Save ends) description, you suffer the effects at the beginning of your turn, and roll a savings throw at the end of your turn to try to remove the effect. Rolling 10 or higher removes the effect, while rolling 9 of less does not. There are very few powers, feats, or abilities that affect someone's savings throw.

More information on savings throws are found in PHB, p. 279.

Remember that "until end of your next turn" powers do not allow a savings throw, unless they specifically say they do.

THAC0
2008-10-20, 10:14 PM
A. 227

Whenever you affected something with the (Save ends) description, you suffer the effects at the beginning of your turn, and roll a savings throw at the end of your turn to try to remove the effect.

A. 227A

However, if character is affected by (sustain) effect (save ends), the effect does not happen until your next turn when you sustain. So they have a chance to save before you get to apply the effect.

Dentarthur
2008-10-20, 11:17 PM
A. 227A

However, if character is affected by (sustain) effect (save ends), the effect does not happen until your next turn when you sustain. So they have a chance to save before you get to apply the effect.
Hrm? I haven't seen a (save ends) power that can be sustained. Example plz?

loopy
2008-10-21, 12:45 AM
Q228

Does the rogue encounter power 'Positioning Strike' make its victims provoke attacks of opportunity? For example, say my Rogue used it to move it through a Fighters threatened square...

Jokes
2008-10-21, 01:08 AM
A228.

No, forced movement does not provoke opportunity attacks (PHB285)

archmage45
2008-10-22, 06:16 AM
Q229

I was looking at Keep on the Shadowfell last night, and I noticed that all the characters seemed to get a +2 bonus to their basic attacks, and I couldn't figure out why.

Hzurr
2008-10-22, 11:10 AM
A229

That's the weapon proficiency.

Examples:
The Dwarf has a + 6 bonus to hit. That's +0 from half level, +3 from Str, +1 from the 2-handed fighter bonus, and + 2 from weapon proficiency with the Maul

half eaten oreo
2008-10-22, 12:04 PM
Q230

Is a grabbed creature's ability in combat, particularly ranged combat in any way diminished,or is immobilization the only penalty applied to grabbed characters?

1of3
2008-10-22, 08:39 PM
A230

Grabbed creatures can attack as normal. Immobilized is the only effect of a grab.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-10-22, 11:24 PM
A230 addendum
A using ranged attacks in melee will still provoke OAs, though.

JBento
2008-10-23, 05:46 AM
A230: addendum2

Also, some creatures give additional penalties - the feymire (sp?) crocodile has been errata'd to only let the grabbed target make melee basic attacks

mrmaxmrmax
2008-10-23, 07:20 AM
Q 231

Bull rush allows you to push a target one square and shift into the vacated square. (PHB 287)

Gauntlets of the Ram allow you to add one square to any push effect you you create. (PHB 247)

When you bull rush with Gauntlets of the Ram, do you shift two spaces? If your push amount was further increased, would you shift even more? If your push becomes higher than your speed (with a bashing shield (PHB 244) thrown into the mix), would your shift exceed your speed?

Maxwell.

Dentarthur
2008-10-23, 10:27 AM
Q 231

Bull rush allows you to push a target one square and shift into the vacated square. (PHB 287)

Gauntlets of the Ram allow you to add one square to any push effect you you create. (PHB 247)

When you bull rush with Gauntlets of the Ram, do you shift two spaces?
A 231
Nope, the gauntlets don't add to the distance you shift. You still shift into the vacated square, i.e. the square where the target started. You just push the guy really hard. :)

THAC0
2008-10-24, 11:56 AM
Hrm? I haven't seen a (save ends) power that can be sustained. Example plz?

Take a look at feypact warlock powers. Among others: Curse of the Dark Dream (level 1 daily) and Curse of the Bloody Fangs (level 5 daily)

Killer Qban
2008-10-26, 11:16 PM
Q. 232

Can teleporting be used to escape bindings? Like using Ethereal Stride to release yourself from shackles or being tied up?

Mauril Everleaf
2008-10-27, 12:37 AM
Q. 232

Can teleporting be used to escape bindings? Like using Ethereal Stride to release yourself from shackles or being tied up?

A 232

Immobilized: Being immobilized doesn’t prevent
you from teleporting. If you were immobilized
because of a physical effect, such as a creature grabbing
you, you can teleport away and are no longer
immobilized or restrained, if applicable. If you were
immobilized because of an effect on your mind or
body, teleporting does not end that effect; you’re still
immobilized when you reach your destination.
Yes, you can teleport away and are no longer bound.

Colmarr
2008-10-27, 01:15 AM
A 232

Yes, you can teleport away and are no longer bound.

I disagree, and your own quoted text possibly betrays you (the sentence after the one you bolded):

If you were immobilized because of an effect on ... your body, teleporting does not end that effect; you’re still immobilized when you reach your destination.

Ultimately, I don't think this is clear cut, and as such I don't think there's a "pure RAW" answer. Are ropes a "physical effect" or "an effect on your body"?

I would rule that ropes are no different than clothing. If your clothing teleports, then so do the binding ropes.

Killer Qban
2008-10-27, 10:24 AM
A. 232 cont'd

I disagree, and your own quoted text possibly betrays you (the sentence after the one you bolded):

If you were immobilized because of an effect on ... your body, teleporting does not end that effect; you’re still immobilized when you reach your destination.

Ultimately, I don't think this is clear cut, and as such I don't think there's a "pure RAW" answer. Are ropes a "physical effect" or "an effect on your body"?

I would rule that ropes are no different than clothing. If your clothing teleports, then so do the binding ropes.

I see what you both mean but I think restraints shouldn't teleport. What if my hands were tied and that rope was tied to a tree or if I was chained to a wall...does that mean I can't teleport at all? or that I teleport with a piece of rope or part of the chains? I guess its more of a DM question.

Aahz
2008-10-27, 04:19 PM
It seems pretty clear to me anyway that "physical effect" is something like a rope or hands/arms grappling you, while "effect on your mind or body" would be a spell or ability which has immobilized you (paralysis, flesh to stone, etc.)

In other words, something external touching you doesn't teleport with you (therefore you're no longer immobilized), whereas an effect which has 'altered' you somehow does teleport, and stays in effect.

Kurald Galain
2008-10-28, 12:21 PM
Q 233: is there an official ruling that indicates whether a Staff implement be used one-handed?

For instance if you're a halfling wizard, or using the Second Implement feat to dual-wield a staff and an orb, or simply based on the picture on page thirteen. I realize that the rules can be interpreted that way, which is why I'm looking for an official word on it, if any.

Someone on the WOTC forum points out that "It has been clarified in the Errata that you CAN use a staff as a ONE HANDED Implement" - however, I am unable to find this in the errata (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/updates), but then again those errata appear to be massively outdated anyway.

JBento
2008-10-29, 05:08 AM
A233 (Partial)

The errata does indeed not mention anything of the sort. If you have subscribed to Insider you can try checking there (as it generally updates faster than the errata). Otherwise, by the PHB RAW, you need both hands for the staff implement (since you need to "wield it," and a staff is a two-handed weapon).

Kurald Galain
2008-10-29, 06:07 AM
A233 (Partial)
The errata does indeed not mention anything of the sort. If you have subscribed to Insider you can try checking there
Okay. So does anyone in this thread have Insider access to check this, please?

Otherwise, by the PHB RAW, you need both hands for the staff implement (since you need to "wield it," and a staff is a two-handed weapon).
Actually, a quarterstaff is a two-handed weapon, whereas a staff is not a weapon at all, but an implement.

Thomix
2008-10-29, 02:38 PM
Q234

The feat Intelligent blademaster (Forgotten Realms player's guide, p. 134) say you can use your int modifier instead of your str modifier when making basic melee attack. Does that mean for attack roll, for domage roll, or for the 2 rolls?

Hzurr
2008-10-29, 02:44 PM
A234

It means that where you previously used your str modifier in a basic melee attack, you now use your int modifier.
Basic attack:
Melee Weapon
Target: 1 creature
Str vs AC
1[W]+str damage, increase to 2[W] + str damage at lvl 21

So in this case, it would modify both your to-hit, as well as your damage.

Aegis
2008-11-02, 01:23 AM
Q235

Am I right in assuming that if one gets incredibly lucky with a Vorpal weapon, that one could do a theoretically limitless amount of damage with one attack?

Or is there some upper limit to the number of bonus attacks you can get from such effects?

RTGoodman
2008-11-02, 01:32 AM
A 235

The description of Vorpal says, "If a reroll results in another maximum damage result, roll it again and keep adding" (emphasis mine). It doesn't say first reroll or anything, so theoretically it COULD be a near-infinite amount of damage, as unlikely as that is.

Also, with regards to the second part, it's not really a "bonus attack" as much as just extra damage. Extra damage has no limit as far as I know, whereas things that give extra attacks usually have some sort of limit on a case-by-case basis. (Cascade of Blows or whatever that one Ranger power is called, for instance, has been errata'd to give a maximum of five attacks, I believe.) That is, there's no limit across the board, but most give specific limits.

potatocubed
2008-11-05, 03:39 PM
Quick question: when something does, say, fire and necrotic damage, how does that interact with fire resistance, necrotic resistance, or both?

Mando Knight
2008-11-05, 03:55 PM
Quick question: when something does, say, fire and necrotic damage, how does that interact with fire resistance, necrotic resistance, or both?

Neither, if they're alone. Only a being with both fire and necrotic resistance resists the attack, and only resists it for as much as its weakest resistance.

acirruscloud
2008-11-06, 07:48 PM
Q236: Does the damage from Shadow Assassin Riposte come from your weapon? It seems like the most sensible explanation.

Q237: If that is the case, is an elemental weapon (Fiery, Frost, etc.) capable of influencing Shadow Assassin Riposte's damage type? It says you can make all damage done by the weapon a given elemental type. (I realize that this wouldn't combo with Wintertouched / Lasting Frost since they both specifically apply to Powers.)

Guy
2008-11-09, 01:47 AM
Q238:If an ability such as Spikes of Agony specifies a secondary effect "If the target moves before the end of its next turn", does being pushed by another ability count as moving and trigger the damage?

Mauril Everleaf
2008-11-09, 02:27 AM
A236 and A237It does come from the weapon, however it would be treated the same as Hammer Rhythm or Scimitar Dance, which specifically state "This damage receives no modifiers or other benefits you normally gain on weapon damage." (Pages 203 and 205) So no, you could not make your Dex Mod damage be elemental.

A238(sort of) Pages 285 and 286 of the PHB specify that forced movement does not provoke OAs, ignores difficult terrain and does not count as a move. While it does not specifically state that it does not otherwise count as movement, it does indicate that forced movement is a special case to be treated differently from regular movement.

Pirate_King
2008-11-09, 09:46 PM
Q 239: On this half level business, do you add half your level to things like damage, spaces you can shift people for powers, or other things that mention the ability modifier? What about number of healing surges, does that go up with level, or only if you increase your constitution modifier?

Q 240: On levels when you would add one to two ability scores, can you opt to add two to one instead?

Mauril Everleaf
2008-11-09, 10:12 PM
A239 Half of your level is added to all of your defenses, you attack bonus, your skill bonus, initiative, and "ability checks". Page 27 of the PHB outlines this.

A240You cannot. You have to add it to two separate abilities. This is also from page 27.

Doug Lampert
2008-11-10, 04:28 PM
A239 Half of your level is added to all of your defenses, you attack bonus, your skill bonus, initiative, and "ability checks". Page 27 of the PHB outlines this.

Just to clarify: Note that it does not add to the ability modifier, that's not on the above list, and thus doesn't add to the stuff the original poster was asking about.

The Character Sheets for 4th ed characters are IMAO crappy design, but they do clearly have separate spots for Ability Modifier and for ability modifier + 1/2 level.

The two are separate things, if a power does 2d8+Wisdom Modifier damage that doesn't include 1/2 level.

The rule of thumb I've used explaining this to my players is that pretty well everything that is D20 + something adds half level. As well as defenses and passive perception and other things that use a 10 in place of a D20 roll, and nothing else adds half level.

Theeon
2008-11-10, 04:29 PM
Q241

On the character sheet there is a space for you to add half your level to your ability modifier. Is this new modified score used everywhere you use that ability such as in attacks and skill checks or is it used only for specific ability checks like a strength check to break down a door.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-11-10, 04:51 PM
A240 Again, half of your level is added to all of your defenses, your attack bonus, your skill bonus, initiative, and "ability checks". Page 27 of the PHB outlines this. So, in this case, it would be added to your attack bonus and to the strength check to knock down a door, but not to damage.

Theeon
2008-11-10, 05:02 PM
Q240 (continued)

I understand that you add half your level to your attack. What the players in my game have been saying and that i disagree with them about is they say that any where your ability score comes into play you use your ability score plus half level. For example say you were a 2nd lvl human fighter with a long sword and 16 strength. you make a melee basic attack my players say that it would be 1d20 + 1 for 1/2lvl + 4 for str + 3 for prof = 1d20+8. I say it should be 1d20 + 1 for 1/2lvl + 3 for str + 3 for prof = 1d20+7. We argue about whether you ad your base ability modifier or the enhanced one to anything other than ability checks

KillianHawkeye
2008-11-10, 06:03 PM
A240 (continued)

Under NO circumstances do you add 1/2 your level twice. Your players need to understand that there is a difference between the ability modifiers and an ability check. Attacks, skills checks, and initiative checks are all forms of ability checks, so they all include the 1/2 your level bonus plus the appropriate ability modifier.

Once again, you don't ever add your ability check bonus where it says ability modifier, because the ability check bonus includes 1/2 your level. So yeah, your players are wrong.

Vazzaroth
2008-11-11, 12:52 AM
Q.242

When a power besides your class's Marking power, such as an Encounter Power, says you mark a target, is it a "generic mark"? IE: The kind monsters get that just gives a -2 to attacks that don't include the marker as the target, or is it a Mark that uses your Defender class mechanic?

Example: Paladin's Level 1 Encounter power: Piercing Smite. You mark a number of adjacent targets equal to your Wis Modifier. Do they all just take -2 to attacks that don't include me, or Do they take that effect as well as the Radiant Damage if they attack someone else, as per the Divine Challenge Paladin Power?

RTGoodman
2008-11-11, 01:51 AM
A. 242

I think it's just a normal mark, nothing to do with Radiant damage. The ability Paladins have to deal damage to creatures that ignore their mark is a function of the divine challenge power - only creatures you mark as a target of the power take the damage. As per this:

Divine Challenge
[...]
While a target is marked, it takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn't include you as a target. Also, it takes radiant damage equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier the first time it makes an attack that doesn’t include you as a target before the start of your next turn.

...only a target of the divine challenge power is at risk.

Vazzaroth
2008-11-11, 03:43 AM
Thanks, That's what we ended up determining too. Seems right, but I don't like it. :smalltongue: There could be some debat, considering it says "While A target is marked". The "A" instead of "The" makes it slightly ambiguous, but the fact that it's the feature of an At-will, not a passive ability means WotC probably intended it just for the Divine Challenge, not other marks.

Q.243

The book states that a target knows when it's marked, and the DMG (I think) says intelligent monsters will try to attack the marker usually. However, is there a set standard for it a monster will know that if it does X, it takes Y damage?

The specific example I can think of is the Swordmage power that says if an enemy moves away from you it takes damage. Should the target know this is going to happen? What if a monster does the same to a PC, should the DM tell them what would happen?

JBento
2008-11-11, 06:23 AM
A.243

By RAW, yes. A creature always knows when it's marked, just like it always knows the exact effect of any power affecting it. This includes PCs.

I'm AFB, so I can't give you an exact quote, but it's in the books somewhere.

Aahz
2008-11-12, 12:37 AM
Q. 244

When making an opportunity attack, you get to make a "basic attack" which AFAIK means no use of powers such as (for my rogue) Piercing Strike. When making a basic melee opportunity attack, do I get to apply Dex to my attack and/or damage rolls (like all my powers do) or do I have to use Str?

Page 274 of the PHB makes me think it only uses Str, which seems odd since every class is built around a major stat or two which they use for their bread-and-butter attacks (Dex for rogues, Int for wizards, etc). Forcing everyone to use Str gives strength-based melee characters much more powerful OAs, which seems kind of against the general 4e philosophy of "all classes are equal".

Mauril Everleaf
2008-11-12, 12:45 AM
A244 Yeah, melee basic attacks are Strength based. Until they come out with a feat like Intelligent Blademaster that allows you to use your Dex for your melee basic attacks (wait for the Martial Power Handbook), you are a bit gimped until then.

Charity
2008-11-12, 06:22 AM
Well... you could get that double ended sword (from adventurers vault) which counts as both a heavy and a light blade and then take heavy blade opportunity to allow you to use your at wills to attack on OA... but that is a somewhat corner case.

Egiam
2008-11-12, 11:28 AM
Q 245
Do allies provide cover and does firing into a melee provide a penalty? I counted this as one question because they both had the same generic purpose.

KillianHawkeye
2008-11-12, 12:10 PM
A 245 No and no.

Doug Lampert
2008-11-12, 01:26 PM
Q. 244Page 274 of the PHB makes me think it only uses Str, which seems odd since every class is built around a major stat or two which they use for their bread-and-butter attacks (Dex for rogues, Int for wizards, etc). Forcing everyone to use Str gives strength-based melee characters much more powerful OAs, which seems kind of against the general 4e philosophy of "all classes are equal".

A. 244 continued (all IMAO) At present the strength based melee classes are the ones that act as defenders. OAs are basically a defender shtick, they're part of forcing the enemy to stay where he is and fight you rather than moving away and attacking that squishy target or ignoring you to use that artillery ranged attack.

Everyone can do OAs, but it's defenders that have powers boosting them and that are "supposed" to have them be a significant part of their power. So the other types don't neccessarily get the same advantage of having their basic melee attack being nearly as good as their at will melee attack.

Introduce a dex based defender and there's a problem with the OAs being too weak, as is, the rules result in a thing you're not supposed to be all that good at (locking the enemy in place) being in fact something that you're not all that good at.

A rogue using dex for OA is pulling heavily into the defender role, without really weakening his ability as a striker.

The problem with rogue basic melee being weak isn't that they have weak OAs, that's a feature not a bug, it's that if something OTHER than an OA gives a basic attack they're typically notably weaker than a defender or warlord.

THAC0
2008-11-12, 01:35 PM
A. 244 continued (all IMAO) At present the strength based melee classes are the ones that act as defenders. OAs are basically a defender shtick, they're part of forcing the enemy to stay where he is and fight you rather than moving away and attacking that squishy target or ignoring you to use that artillery ranged attack.

Everyone can do OAs, but it's defenders that have powers boosting them and that are "supposed" to have them be a significant part of their power. So the other types don't neccessarily get the same advantage of having their basic melee attack being nearly as good as their at will melee attack.

Introduce a dex based defender and there's a problem with the OAs being too weak, as is, the rules result in a thing you're not supposed to be all that good at (locking the enemy in place) being in fact something that you're not all that good at.

A rogue using dex for OA is pulling heavily into the defender role, without really weakening his ability as a striker.

The problem with rogue basic melee being weak isn't that they have weak OAs, that's a feature not a bug, it's that if something OTHER than an OA gives a basic attack they're typically notably weaker than a defender or warlord.

A.244 continued again

This theory discounts the poor Cha-based paladin, who is still filling the defender slot. Apart from that, I agree that the mechanic was intended this way, but not thought through all the way.

Hzurr
2008-11-12, 02:35 PM

I agree. This is further emphasized by the ability that allows Swordmages to use their int instead of str on basic attacks (including OA). The swordmage is a defender, and should be able to stop things in their tracks.

Charity
2008-11-13, 06:14 AM
Q 245
Do allies provide cover and does firing into a melee provide a penalty? I counted this as one question because they both had the same generic purpose.

A 245 Clarification. Allies provide you with cover but not your enemies.
There is no non cover related penalties for firing into combat.

Doug Lampert
2008-11-13, 02:31 PM
A.244 continued again

This theory discounts the poor Cha-based paladin, who is still filling the defender slot. Apart from that, I agree that the mechanic was intended this way, but not thought through all the way.The theory is fine, as is the implementation.

Consider that POOR Cha-based paladin when her foe tries to ignore her, lets say she has 18 Cha and only 14 Str (Str will still be her second best ability), so at level 1 her OA is at +5 for 1d8+4 damage rather than +7 for 1d8+6 damage. Poor girl, the enemy can ignore her. Except she ALSO does 7 divine challenge damage even on a miss, and since a CHA based OA would only do about 3 more damage on average than the actual STR based OA the combination is substantially BETTER than having a strength based OA would be.

This sort of thing isn't an accident. And given the way advancement works she will ALWAYS be ahead of a high STR build depending only on a Str based basic melee OA as long as she has a divine challenge up.

The divine challenge damage is there for a reason, and that reason is to make ignoring the Cha based paladin very painful.

skywalker
2008-11-17, 03:04 PM
A. 242

I think it's just a normal mark, nothing to do with Radiant damage. The ability Paladins have to deal damage to creatures that ignore their mark is a function of the divine challenge power - only creatures you mark as a target of the power take the damage. As per this:

...only a target of the divine challenge power is at risk.

Clarification?
Bolding is mine, because this exact situation came up in my game last night.

What is a "normal mark?" And where is this explained?

Shishnarfne
2008-11-17, 03:10 PM
Clarification?
Bolding is mine, because this exact situation came up in my game last night.

What is a "normal mark?" And where is this explained?

A marked character/monster/NPC takes a -2 penalty to all attack roles that do not include the individual who has them marked... I'm Away from Book, but someone might be along with a page number in the PHB...

A standard mark makes it harder for the marked individual to target others, but has little other effect.

Doug Lampert
2008-11-17, 04:18 PM
A marked character/monster/NPC takes a -2 penalty to all attack roles that do not include the individual who has them marked... I'm Away from Book, but someone might be along with a page number in the PHB...

A standard mark makes it harder for the marked individual to target others, but has little other effect.IIRC it's in the index of the PHB under "mark".

Totally Guy
2008-11-18, 03:18 PM
Q247

When someone levels up and gains a feat can they also retrain an existing feat into an associated feat? For example player retrains their Skill Training feat to get Two Weapon Fighting and also gets Two Weapon Defence (which requires TWF as prerequisite) as his feat for hitting next level up.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-11-18, 05:07 PM
A247 As far as I can tell, there is no rule forbidding this. Support for this has been given regarding when stat modifications occur and how that interacts with feat qualifications. Wizards ruled that the stat modifications happen before selecting the feat, so bumping the stats can allow you to qualify for feats. (I can't seem to find this in the FAQ currently, which means it may have been a CustServ response. Take that for what you will.) The same could be applied to feats. New feats are gained before old feats are retrained, making you able to take Two-Weapon Fighting and then retraining something to get Two-Weapon Defense.

Vazzaroth
2008-11-18, 06:15 PM
A.243

By RAW, yes. A creature always knows when it's marked, just like it always knows the exact effect of any power affecting it. This includes PCs.

I'm AFB, so I can't give you an exact quote, but it's in the books somewhere.

Because it came up in game: Exact effect meaning the exact amount of damage die that will be rolled when a Monster does something conditional to a PC?

Gralamin
2008-11-18, 10:43 PM
Q248
Given the following situation how would the Dujun of Erathis' paragon path Solidarity’s Virtue work?

Solidarity’s Virtue (16th level): You and allies within 10 squares of you gain an extra +1 bonus when flanking or aiding another.

So, imagine you have a Warlord, a rogue, and a fighter surrounding an enemy from three sides (So the rogue and warlord are flanking). The initiative order is Fighter/Rogue/Warlord/Enemy.
a) If the Fighter and Rogue use Aid Another to aid the Warlord, does he gain +3 from each for +6 total from aiding, or +2 from each, with +1 on-top for +5 total from aiding?
b) Now that its the warlord's turn, does he gain a total of +9, +8, or +7 to hit the enemy due to a combination of flanking and aiding
->+9 is from +3 for each aid + 3 from flanking
->+8 is from +2 from each aid, +1 on top, +3 from flanking
->and +7 is from +2 from each aid, +2 from flanking, and +1 on top.

RTGoodman
2008-11-18, 11:47 PM
A 248

I think it's ambiguous and is probably in need of errata. I THINK though that, as it stands, each time one of the conditions applies, the bonus is added.

In example (A), the Warlord would gain +6 to the attack - the normal +2 for each ally aiding him, which is increased to +3 each because of the PP class feature. In example (B), he would have a +9 total bonus - the +6 from being aided by another, and the +3 from flanking with the added bonus.

Personally, I would just discuss it with your DM, since that's an awfully big bonus. Of course, it requires a lot of planning to do it (two parties only aiding the Leader rather than the Striker, and the Leader being forced into a particular PP), so I'm not sure it's really game-breaking.

skywalker
2008-11-19, 01:43 AM
Because it came up in game: Exact effect meaning the exact amount of damage die that will be rolled when a Monster does something conditional to a PC?

I think that's a little far to go with the whole thing.

I think knowing "if I attack someone besides the paladin who marked me, I will get burned by divine fire" is one thing. Knowing "if I attack someone besides the paladin who marked me, I will take 9 points of divine fire damage" is a bit of a stretch. But I don't think the books have a position either way. I say, as written, it's open to personal interpretation.

Gralamin
2008-11-19, 02:23 AM
Personally, I would just discuss it with your DM, since that's an awfully big bonus. Of course, it requires a lot of planning to do it (two parties only aiding the Leader rather than the Striker, and the Leader being forced into a particular PP), so I'm not sure it's really game-breaking.

Well, the effect extends to everyone, so if the warlord would receive +9, then they could give a rogue +9. The reason I chose warlord is because its an unnamed bonus, and thus can stack with some other nice Warlord abilities (Like Lead the Attack, which is almost always useful). At level 16, a Warlord that starts with 18 str/16 int will usually have 22/20 int. Combining this "Trick" with Lead the Attack can lead to +15 to the Rogue's to hit!

Hmm, better post something on topic

Q. 249
Can you wield a two-handed weapon while mounted? I don't see anything on Page 46 to 47 preventing it, which seems a bit odd, am I just missing something?

JBento
2008-11-19, 06:15 AM
A243 (cont)

That's best discussed with your DM, as the RAW isn't explicit in either way (at least, that I can remember).

I'd rule it that the creature knows the power description, without knowing the exact values - it will know, for instance, that if it's affected by Booming Blade and moves away from the Swordmage it's going to get 1d6+Con mod thunder damage.

I think that's the way more consistent with the RAW, but that's just me - your DMileage may vary

Vazzaroth
2008-11-19, 04:18 PM
A243 (cont)

That's best discussed with your DM, as the RAW isn't explicit in either way (at least, that I can remember).

I'd rule it that the creature knows the power description, without knowing the exact values - it will know, for instance, that if it's affected by Booming Blade and moves away from the Swordmage it's going to get 1d6+Con mod thunder damage.

I think that's the way more consistent with the RAW, but that's just me - your DMileage may vary

Of course I didn't mean that I would roll dice then tell them the results that may happen, I mean, my DM didn't inform me that the damage I took was actually ongoing (At first), and then when he did, and I asked how much I would take when I move, he just told me "You'll take damage". My argument was that he should have told me it was 3d6 damage. He did eventually, but I'm mostly just trying to get a feel for what to do when I am DM.

Nahal
2008-11-21, 04:54 PM
Q250

Apologies if this has already been asked, but with over 200 questions I'm really not up to searching for it.

Does a melee weapon's enhancement bonus get multiplied along with the number of dice when a power has the damage x[W]? For example, if my Paladin uses Radiant Smite (PHB 92) with a +1 Bastard Sword (1d10 damage), is the damage then 2[1d10+1] plus strength and wisdom mods, or 2[1d10]+1 plus strength and wisdom mods?

LiteYear
2008-11-22, 12:46 AM
A 250

No, a weapon's enhancement bonus is not multiplied along with the weapon dice.

Grynning
2008-11-22, 02:04 AM
Q 251 The feat Intelligent Blademaster (FRPG 134) - Does this substitute your Int bonus for Str on the damage roll as well as the attack roll?

Whoops, that's already been answered a couple times.

Q 251 (for real) Wandering Swordmage Encounter Power "Four Corners Attack" (FRPG 68) - Are the effects of the secondary attack cumulative? In other words, if you beat all three of the target's defenses with the secondary attack, do you get all three "Hit" effects, or do you have to choose one? The Attack line says "or," but the rest of the power reads like you make one attack roll and compare it to each defense and get a hit for each one you beat.

I think it's likely *not* cumulative and that the secondary attack only has one effect, otherwise that's potentially the most powerful encounter power in the game (4[W] + prone + slowed + dazed if you beat all four defenses). But a better constructed answer would be welcome.

KKL
2008-11-22, 02:15 AM
Q 251 The feat Intelligent Blademaster (FRPG 134) - Does this substitute your Int bonus for Str on the damage roll as well as the attack roll?

Q 252 Wandering Swordmage Encounter Power "Four Corners Attack" (FRPG 68) - Are the effects cumulative? In other words, if you beat all three of the target's defenses with the secondary attack, do you get all three "Hit" effects, or do you have to choose one? The Attack line says "or," but the rest of the power reads like you make one attack roll and compare it to each defense and get a hit for each one you beat.

I think it's likely *not* cumulative and that the secondary attack only has one effect, otherwise that's potentially the most powerful encounter power in the game (4[W] + prone + slowed + dazed if you beat all four defenses). But a better constructed answer would be welcome.

A 251: Yes it does.
A 252: Choose one defense to hit. The "or" in this case lets you choose which defense to target. If it was any, or all of the three, it would follow the wording of the Wizard's Prismatic Spray (PHB 168) attack.

Grynning
2008-11-22, 12:37 PM
Q 252 Are both ends of a double-weapon, considered to have the off-hand property/keyword? Also, if you have two "off-hand" weapons, are both considered to be in your off-hand for purposes of powers or features like Tempest Technique? i.e. I have two shortswords, do I add +2 to damage with both; with a double weapon, do I add +1 to one end and +2 to the other, or +2 to both ends?

Q 253 Similarly, with the Urgrosh or a similar weapon yet to be published, is the weapon as a whole considered both an "Axe" and a "Spear" for purposes of powers by RAW? (I know by RAI they should be separate, but the way it's written, it seems to be both).

Blue Ghost
2008-11-22, 10:45 PM
Q254 How do powers that force another character to move (such as the cleric's cause fear) work? Is the target required to take a move action to move away their next turn? Do they move away automatically? If so, does it provoke an AoO?

Mauril Everleaf
2008-11-23, 02:11 AM
A 253The Urgrosh lists two damages, one for the spear end and one for the axe end. In order to use it with a power that requires a spear, you must use the damage listed for the spear for the [W] (which is 1d8). Similarly for the axe end and axe requiring powers (the damage from which is 1d12).

A 254The target does not spend a move action, since it moves on your turn. It is treated the same way as powers that push, pull or slide a target, except that it is specifically "move" and does provoke OAs. The text in Cause Fear also explicitly states that the target provokes OAs if applicable.

KillianHawkeye
2008-11-23, 05:17 AM
A 252

Wielding a double weapon is like wielding a weapon in each hand. The first die given in the damage column of the table for a double weapon is for the primary (or main) end of the weapon; the second damage die is for the secondary (or off-hand) end. You can use either end of a double weapon to deliver an attack unless a power specifies a main or off-hand weapon attack.

This paragraph pretty clearly answers your question about double weapons.

As for the case when you're wielding a pair of short swords or other off-hand weapons, I couldn't find anything definitive in the PHB except a note under the Ranger's Two-Blade Fighting Style which states "(Make sure to designate on your character sheet which weapon is main and which is off-hand.)" It seems clear that you only have one "off" hand regardless of what kinds of weapons you are wielding, however it would make sense to allow you to change the designations once per round IMO.

Grynning
2008-11-23, 10:45 AM
A 252

This paragraph pretty clearly answers your question about double weapons.

As for the case when you're wielding a pair of short swords or other off-hand weapons, I couldn't find anything definitive in the PHB except a note under the Ranger's Two-Blade Fighting Style which states "(Make sure to designate on your character sheet which weapon is main and which is off-hand.)" It seems clear that you only have one "off" hand regardless of what kinds of weapons you are wielding, however it would make sense to allow you to change the designations once per round IMO.

A 252 continued - I guess my confusion arises because the books don't seem to distinguish between "a weapon with the 'off-hand' property" and a "weapon wielded in your off hand" in a lot of cases. They really should have picked another term for "off-hand" weapons to remove this kind of nomenclature issue (like, I don't know..."light" maybe? :smalltongue:)

KillianHawkeye
2008-11-24, 05:09 AM
A 252 continued - I guess my confusion arises because the books don't seem to distinguish between "a weapon with the 'off-hand' property" and a "weapon wielded in your off hand" in a lot of cases. They really should have picked another term for "off-hand" weapons to remove this kind of nomenclature issue (like, I don't know..."light" maybe? :smalltongue:)

I dunno, it's a little confusing I guess. But it seems pretty clear to me that the intent is for you to have one hand be "main" and one hand be "off" at any given time. Whereas "Off-Hand Weapons" are simply weapons that you CAN wield in your "off" hand, regardless of which hand you actually are using. Of course, as I said before, the benefit of wielding 2 "Off-Hand Weapons" is the ability to choose which one is the "main" one round by round.

Also, note that the "Off-Hand" property has essentially replaced the old "Light weapons" category of 3.x (for the purposes of TWFing, at least), so additional designations are really necessary.

AgentPaper
2008-11-24, 04:00 PM
Q 255: Do magic throwing weapons cost less than a normal magic weapon?
Q 256: If you throw a magic throwing weapon, does it automatically return to you?
Q 257: If you have a number of cloaked throwing weapons, for example shurikens, can you keep making sneak attacks with each one as you throw them?

ColdSepp
2008-11-24, 04:06 PM
Q 255: Do magic throwing weapons cost less than a normal magic weapon?
Q 256: If you throw a magic throwing weapon, does it automatically return to you?
Q 257: If you have a number of cloaked throwing weapons, for example shurikens, can you keep making sneak attacks with each one as you throw them?

A 256. No.
A 257. Yes. See PHB pg 232, Thrown Weapons
A 258. No. A rogue only gets 1 sneak attack/round. PHB pg 117. You can choose which of your attacks to apply the sneak attack to.

AgentPaper
2008-11-26, 11:33 PM
A 258. No. A rogue only gets 1 sneak attack/round. PHB pg 117. You can choose which of your attacks to apply the sneak attack to.

You misunderstood. I meant, can you keep, say, 5 cloaked shuriken on you, or any other weapon for that matter, and use one each round to get a free sneak attack each of those rounds?

Mauril Everleaf
2008-11-27, 12:45 AM
You misunderstood. I meant, can you keep, say, 5 cloaked shuriken on you, or any other weapon for that matter, and use one each round to get a free sneak attack each of those rounds?

Yes. Simply enough, but combat advantage is pretty simple to get and it would get kind of expensive to those shuriken appropriately leveled. Also, since the text for Cloaked Weapon specifically states that you get combat advantage for a melee attack, you would have to be stabbing your foes with those shuriken...

mathewt
2008-11-28, 07:48 AM
Q 258: One of my new players wants to make a beastmaster ranger, who still dual wields. Since he's not a two-weapon ranger, that means he needs to use an off hand weapon. If he takes Heavy Blade Opportunity, will he be able to use Twin Strike with it, since only one of his two weapons will be a heavy blade?

KillianHawkeye
2008-11-28, 11:04 AM
Q 258: One of my new players wants to make a beatmaster ranger, who still dual wields. Since he's not a two-weapon ranger, that means he needs to use an off hand weapon. If he takes Heavy Blade Opportunity, will he be able to use Twin Strike with it, since only one of his two weapons will be a heavy blade?

A 258: I believe by RAW he can use twin strike. The opening text of Heavy Blade Opportunity ("When you make an opportunity attack with a heavy blade, ...") doesn't specifically disallow TWFing with a different weapon class in the off-hand. Technically speaking, if at least one of your weapons is a heavy blade, then you WOULD be making an OA with a heavy blade, thus meeting the requirements of Heavy Blade Opportunity.

Similarly, twin strike simply requires you to be wielding two melee weapons, so you still meet the requirements for that. I think it would work.

Alternatively, if he wants to avoid any argument he can just wield a double sword (from AV) which is both a heavy and a light blade and it has the off-hand property. (Also, defensive is a nice bonus.)

acirruscloud
2008-11-29, 06:14 PM
Q259: Quick and dirty one. I can't find the rules for creating characters higher than level 1. I vaguely remember the rule for the magic items they start with, but I'm not certain. Any help?

Mauril Everleaf
2008-11-29, 07:22 PM
Similarly, twin strike simply requires you to be wielding two melee weapons, so you still meet the requirements for that. I think it would work.

Actually, I thought that too, so I checked it. The Attack section says "Strength vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon)" so it would require him to attack with both weapons. Using the same weapon twice is for the "Dexterity vs AC (ranged; two attacks)" section for the ranged attacks. So that part doesn't really help. If anything it points that one couldn't use Twin Strike with HBO.

A 259 Page 29 of the PHB has the table for how many powers/feats a character has at each level, as well as what a character gains at each level. It doesn't have HP or Saves, but those are really easy to calculate. As far as wealth, the general rule is a magic item of one level below, one level above, one of equal level, and gold equivalent to an item of equal level.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-11-30, 09:48 PM
Q 260

Does multi-classing allow you to take epic destinies you wouldn't normally be able to take? For instance, if I have a warlock who multiclassed with wizard, would that allow him to go into the Archmage destiny?

It doesn't say yes or no in the PHB. But what made me wonder was that the first level ability for archmages states
Choose one daily spell you know (and have prepared today, if you prepare spells)...

RTGoodman
2008-11-30, 10:06 PM
A 260

I believe the RAW is that a [Multiclass] feat does NOT let a character qualify for an Epic Destiny. The description says that "A character who has taken a class-specific multiclass feat counts as a member of that class for the purpose of meeting prerequisites for taking other feats and qualifying for paragon paths" (PHB 208). It specifically doesn't mention Epic Destinies.

However, I don't think it's inconceivable that it might be allowed, but that would be up to the DM.

RTGoodman
2008-12-01, 07:14 PM
Q 261

(Pardon my double post...)

Here's the scenario. A Ruthless Ruffian Rogue is wielding a Shuriken (a one-handed light thrown Light Blade) in one hand and his Mace (a one-handed versatile Mace) in the other. On his turn, he moves and then throws his Shuriken. Would he then be able to switch to wielding the Mace in two hands for for the +1 damage in later rounds and OAs? And what sort of action would it be to do so?

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-01, 08:53 PM
Actually, I thought that too, so I checked it. The Attack section says "Strength vs AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon)" so it would require him to attack with both weapons. Using the same weapon twice is for the "Dexterity vs AC (ranged; two attacks)" section for the ranged attacks. So that part doesn't really help. If anything it points that one couldn't use Twin Strike with HBO.

Yes, I was aware of that and I didn't believe it to be a contradiction. Despite the fact that you are wielding two different weapons, as long as one of them is a heavy blade, you are "making an attack with a heavy blade" and thus satisfying the requirements to use HBO.

I dunno why you quoted my paragraph about twin strike when you should have read the one about Heavy Blade Opportunity.

Theodoric
2008-12-02, 09:12 AM
A 261

You cannot dual-wield a mace and shuriken, as neither has the Off-Hand ability, unless you gain the Ranger Class Feature. However, if you were throwing a dagger, it would require no action, as you've already drawn the other weapon.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-12-02, 11:55 PM
I dunno why you quoted my paragraph about twin strike when you should have read the one about Heavy Blade Opportunity.

I quoted the section about twin strike because it requires an attack with the off-hand weapon. And since there has yet to be published a weapon that is a heavy blade with the "off-hand" property (with the exception of the double sword, which is still dubious), using Twin Strike would require you to make an attack with a weapon which is not a heavy blade. In this case you would be making an opportunity attack with a light blade, handaxe, scourge, light war pick or throwing hammer. So you would not be able to use the power using a non-heavy blade, which is not possible (again, with the dubious exception of the double sword). This is why I quoted your section on Twin Strike. Also, is was simpler than quoting your entire post. I referenced a relevant section, but your entire post is what I was referring back to.

By RAW you can, if you look from one direction ("I am using a heavy blade in the attack") and by RAW you cannot, if you look from the other direction ("I have to use an off-hand weapon for Twin Strike"). This seems to point that some sort of official ruling is necessary, not just the musings of fans.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-12-03, 12:00 AM
A 261

You cannot dual-wield a mace and shuriken, as neither has the Off-Hand ability, unless you gain the Ranger Class Feature. However, if you were throwing a dagger, it would require no action, as you've already drawn the other weapon.

Technically, it's a Free Action. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ask/20081008) Minor difference, but there may be some limitation from certain DMs on the number of Free Actions one can take in a round.

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-03, 07:30 AM
I quoted the section about twin strike because it requires an attack with the off-hand weapon. And since there has yet to be published a weapon that is a heavy blade with the "off-hand" property (with the exception of the double sword, which is still dubious), using Twin Strike would require you to make an attack with a weapon which is not a heavy blade. In this case you would be making an opportunity attack with a light blade, handaxe, scourge, light war pick or throwing hammer. So you would not be able to use the power using a non-heavy blade, which is not possible (again, with the dubious exception of the double sword). This is why I quoted your section on Twin Strike. Also, is was simpler than quoting your entire post. I referenced a relevant section, but your entire post is what I was referring back to.

By RAW you can, if you look from one direction ("I am using a heavy blade in the attack") and by RAW you cannot, if you look from the other direction ("I have to use an off-hand weapon for Twin Strike"). This seems to point that some sort of official ruling is necessary, not just the musings of fans.

As I said before, Heavy Blade Opportunity doesn't say you have to ONLY attack with heavy blades, just that you make AN attack with heavy blades. But whatever, you can disagree if you want to look at it that way. Perhaps a clarification is needed. But my logic was "If A is True and If B is True, then A And B is True". I get how you can see it as B cancelling out A though. I just don't think it needs to be that strict, since it doesn't seem overpowered to me to allow it.

AgentPaper
2008-12-05, 09:37 PM
Q 261

(Pardon my double post...)

Here's the scenario. A Ruthless Ruffian Rogue is wielding a Shuriken (a one-handed light thrown Light Blade) in one hand and his Mace (a one-handed versatile Mace) in the other. On his turn, he moves and then throws his Shuriken. Would he then be able to switch to wielding the Mace in two hands for for the +1 damage in later rounds and OAs? And what sort of action would it be to do so?

Hold the shuriken in your main hand, hold (not wield) your mace in the off hand. Throw the shuriken, use a free action to wield mace in both hands, attack. So yes, it works.

scarletsentinel
2008-12-08, 01:45 PM
Q 261 part b RE: Two weapon fighting

Where does it state that a weapon that does not have the Offhand property cannot be wielded in the off hand, or where does it give the penalty for doing so?

(this is not about 2w rangers or tempest fighters, it's about an on the fly decision we made because we couldn't find the rules)

We had a situation involving a charater using a weapon in each hand, neither having the Offhand Property, and trying to atack. He was not trying to attack with both weapons in the same action, just using a normal one-weapon attack power, but wanted to alternate which hand he attacked with each round for flavor reasons. We house-ruled to cover the encounter but since it might happen again we'd like a real ruling. Any thoughts?

Mando Knight
2008-12-08, 03:11 PM
Q 261 part b RE: Two weapon fighting

Where does it state that a weapon that does not have the Offhand property cannot be wielded in the off hand, or where does it give the penalty for doing so?

(this is not about 2w rangers or tempest fighters, it's about an on the fly decision we made because we couldn't find the rules)

We had a situation involving a charater using a weapon in each hand, neither having the Offhand Property, and trying to atack. He was not trying to attack with both weapons in the same action, just using a normal one-weapon attack power, but wanted to alternate which hand he attacked with each round for flavor reasons. We house-ruled to cover the encounter but since it might happen again we'd like a real ruling. Any thoughts?

A 261 b: It's implied in the text for the Off-Hand property and in the text for the Ranger's Two-Blade fighting style, but not stated out-right. The Off-hand property text implies that the special bonus of that property is that you can use it while dual-wielding, and the Two-Blade fighting style implies that you can only use two not-Off-hand weapons if you have that class feature. Thus, they assume that you will correctly induce that you can only wield two weapons if one has the Off-Hand property.

(two-weapon fighting like you described really isn't beneficial, anyway, except for a rogue that switches between throwing knives and stabbing with a rapier or another knife... although daggers all have the Off-Hand property anyway...)

Tenshin
2008-12-12, 12:41 PM
Q.262 In the Player's handbook, the rogue class' Sneak Attack says "once per round", is that once per encounter or once per turn? Thanks!

Shishnarfne
2008-12-12, 12:45 PM
A 262

Once per round refers to once per initiative round, so you would get sneak attack on one of your attacks during your turn. It is slightly gray to me as to whether (if you do not get SA on your turn) you can apply SA damage prior to the start of your next turn should you make an attack that qualifies (this can come up, especially with Tactical Warlords).

The rogue definitely gets Sneak Attack more than once every encounter.

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-12, 01:19 PM
A 262 addition

Neither.

"Once per round" means "once per round." "Per round" and "per turn" are not the same thing. Every creature in the combat gets one turn per round. Opportunity Attacks are (to my knowledge) the only thing that is limited to once per turn, as the number of OAs you can take in a round is limited only by the number of creatures that provoke them from you.

As for Sneak Attack (or other "once per round" abilities), it doesn't appear to be limited to use on your own turn, meaning you could use it in conjunction with an OA or commander's strike, etc. I would say that if you used it on someone else's turn, you wouldn't be able to use it again until after your own next turn ends. (At least, that was the way Swift/Immediate actions worked in 3.5, so it kinda makes sense to do it that way.)

mrmaxmrmax
2008-12-12, 10:50 PM
Q 263

How far does line of sight go? I'm interested to see how this one gets answered.

Maxwell.

Mando Knight
2008-12-13, 12:55 AM
A 263

Depending on the Perception modifier... I'd say about 1000 feet (200 squares) + Perception modifier x 10 squares (50')...

Roughly. Assuming an infinite planar plane.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-12-13, 01:26 AM
A 236 Actually, by RAW, there is no limit on the range of line of sight, assuming that you are on an infinite, featureless plane. The rules only stipulate that you have to be able to see it, but have no regards on how far that distance is. So, again by RAW, line of sight would extend to the horizon. However, perception checks to notice a medium sized creature at four miles away should be a bit ludicrous (depending on how your DM rules the +2 for more than 10 feet away). Since the human eye can see an almost unlimited distance, there really shouldn't be a limit to unobstructed line of sight. The Sun is 98 million miles away, and we can see it plain as day (pun intended). Issues come up when you start dealing with things like the curvature of the planet you are on, and air densities and such. These things, however, are world dependent and not game general.

skywalker
2008-12-13, 02:45 AM
As for Sneak Attack (or other "once per round" abilities), it doesn't appear to be limited to use on your own turn, meaning you could use it in conjunction with an OA or commander's strike, etc. I would say that if you used it on someone else's turn, you wouldn't be able to use it again until after your own next turn ends. (At least, that was the way Swift/Immediate actions worked in 3.5, so it kinda makes sense to do it that way.)

Well, you're right about one thing, it's not limited to your turn, you can do it once per round on anyone's turn. But I'm pretty sure abilities reset at the start of the round, not at the end of your next turn. Your way of doing things could both cheat the player, and also give the player extras, for instance, the warlord and the rogue are both flanking the orc. The warlord is moving on initiative count 19. He uses commander's strike to grant an attack to the rogue. The rogue hits, and chooses to add his sneak attack damage. The rogue is moving on initiative count 18. He attacks without sneak attack because he has already used it this round. But when his turn ends, he regains the use of sneak attack. This means that if anyone moving on a lower count uses a power or ability that grants an extra attack for the rogue, he gets another usage of sneak attack. It can also work the other way, altho it's slightly more complicated to think about and explain.

For this reason, even if it's not RAW (I don't think it is, probably one of those little things where WotC thought we would all think the same way we do and left it out. I suppose we could ask custserv?), I think it's best to have once per round abilities reset when the initiative count resets and a "new round" begins.

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-13, 08:13 AM
Well, you're right about one thing, it's not limited to your turn, you can do it once per round on anyone's turn. But I'm pretty sure abilities reset at the start of the round, not at the end of your next turn. Your way of doing things could both cheat the player, and also give the player extras, for instance, the warlord and the rogue are both flanking the orc. The warlord is moving on initiative count 19. He uses commander's strike to grant an attack to the rogue. The rogue hits, and chooses to add his sneak attack damage. The rogue is moving on initiative count 18. He attacks without sneak attack because he has already used it this round. But when his turn ends, he regains the use of sneak attack. This means that if anyone moving on a lower count uses a power or ability that grants an extra attack for the rogue, he gets another usage of sneak attack. It can also work the other way, altho it's slightly more complicated to think about and explain.

For this reason, even if it's not RAW (I don't think it is, probably one of those little things where WotC thought we would all think the same way we do and left it out. I suppose we could ask custserv?), I think it's best to have once per round abilities reset when the initiative count resets and a "new round" begins.

The fact is, any arbitrary "reset point" will face the same difficulty. It doesn't matter if it's the end of the round or the end of the Rogue's turn, the same thing could happen. So, you didn't really solve anything at all.

I merely offered up the one that had (albeit unrelated) precedence.

Mando Knight
2008-12-13, 12:17 PM
I think it's best to have once per round abilities reset when the initiative count resets and a "new round" begins.

Really? I've always assumed that once per round abilities should reset at the start of your next turn. i.e. you hit with Riposte Strike, and use your Sneak Attack damage on top of it. Then, after a few more opponents move, initiative restarts, and your target provokes Riposte Strike's effect while not removing you Combat Advantage. You can't Sneak Attack with this damage, but you will be able to on your next Riposte Strike.

mrmaxmrmax
2008-12-14, 10:14 AM
Q 237

When a dire rat hits with an attack, the target 'contracts' Filth Fever. When does the initial effect take place? Is contracting the same as infecting?

Maxwell.

Mando Knight
2008-12-14, 12:15 PM
A 237

According to page 49 of the DMG, the victim gets a saving throw at the end of the encounter where he was subjected to the disease. If he succeeds, the disease can't get a foothold in his body. If he fails, then he suffers the initial effect.

Grynning
2008-12-16, 01:49 AM
Q 238

Are party members always aware of conditions affecting other party members?

This came up in our session tonight. Paladin got dominated by a Vampire Lord. The cleric and I (warlord) were both before the Paladin in initiative order and wanted to use our save granting powers before the Paladin's turn in hopes of un-dominating her. The DM said that we wouldn't be aware of her condition until we saw her attack a party member or otherwise act unnaturally.
The PHB and DMG didn't seem to clarify anywhere on whether you know a party member's status effects. I believe that it's too limiting for the players to have to always be alerted of the effects, because the save granting powers are most effective if used before it's gone back to the other player's turn. Others argued that it makes more sense that the characters have to be alerted of the conditions (usually by the affected party member calling it out) and since a dominated character couldn't say anything we wouldn't know in character. We went with the DM's ruling for tonight, but I just want to know which way is more correct by RAW.

Charity
2008-12-16, 04:00 AM
A 238 The RAW just states that a creatures are aware of all the effects of a power that has been used on them, which you already know.

I agree that that is too limiting and would suggest you adopt a case by case basis as deemed fit by your DM, (much as you have been) it's more fun not knowing I find.

mrmaxmrmax
2008-12-18, 11:36 PM
Q 239

On Charging PHB 287:

"[Y]ou must move directly to the nearest square from which you can attack the enemy."

It is my belief that this does NOT mean a straight line. Where else is the word 'directly' used in the core books to indicate what restrictions you might have on moving? Is there anything that might support my theory that directly means 'moving towards the enemy with each square moved'?

More importantly, can you charge around a corner (pretend the ='s are a pit)?

X
====
==== Y

Is there anything to support or deny that X can walk up and and hit Y as a charge?

Maxwell.

mrmaxmrmax
2008-12-18, 11:39 PM
Q 240

From Blood Pulse, PHB 170:

"[T]he target takes 1d6 damage for every square it leaves."

Is this damage accrued by forced movement and falls as well?

Maxwell.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-12-19, 08:54 PM
A239 partial Since charging is a standard action, you would be able to use your move action to get around the pit, and then charge the enemy with your standard action.

In regards to non-linear charging, there is a feat in Martial Power (I believe) that allows you to charge non-linearly. Since there is a feat to let you do something, it would mean that you cannot do it otherwise (short of DM fiat).

A 240 For pushes, pulls and slides, yes. For falls, it is less certain.

Mando Knight
2008-12-19, 09:36 PM
A 239 There's no rule in the PHB to prevent you from non-linear charges in the first place. Thus, by RAW, if you can access the nearest square from you to where you have reach to the opponent, you can charge.

mrmaxmrmax
2008-12-19, 10:57 PM
More on A 239

The feat you are talking about in Martial Power must be Roundabout Charge. All that states is (MP 144) that you can end your movement in any square instead of the closest square. That one has nothing to do with 'directly.'

There are thirteen uses of the word directly in the PHB and none seem to refer to straight lines.

Maxwell.

Theeon
2008-12-20, 10:51 AM
A 239

As written, yes you can charge around a corner.

Mando Knight
2008-12-20, 12:27 PM
Q 241 Resistances: Do multiple sources of resistance to the same effect stack? For example, a Firesoul Genasi with a Dragonslayer sword is attacked by a Red Dragon's Breath Weapon. Does the Genasi apply both his resistance against fire and his weapon's property that gives him resistance to the Dragon's attacks, or just the higher of the two?

THAC0
2008-12-20, 12:35 PM
A 241: They do not stack.

mrmaxmrmax
2008-12-21, 11:14 AM
Q 242

Last night, I had two PCs just down below 0 and another PC used Bastion of Defense, which on a successful hit grants temporary hit points to allies within five squares.

I wasn't sure how to handle the situation, so I ruled (and told them afterwards) in a way that I felt was incorrect: I said that if the temp hit points gave them enough to be awake, they could act.

What is the correct way to handle this one?

Maxwell.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-12-21, 04:01 PM
A 242 They are still down, at 0 or fewer hit points. I quoted the relevant paragraph from the Temporary Hit Points section from the PHB.

Not Real Hit Points: Temporary hit points aren’t real hit points. They’re a layer of insulation that attacks have to get through before they start doing damage to you. Don’t add temporary hit points to your current hit points (if your current hit points are 0, you still have 0 when you receive temporary hit points). Keep track of them as a separate pool of hit points. The parenthetical statement is the most relevant.

Zer Kaizer
2008-12-22, 06:31 AM
I'm reading the rogue exploits in the Player's Handbook and I wanted to know one thing. What does [W] stand for?

Theodoric
2008-12-22, 07:06 AM
Your weapon's damage die.

Muertimer
2008-12-22, 09:11 AM
Q 242

Does the Mnemonic Staff (Adv. Vault, p. 104) allow the user to switch an encounter for a daily? A utility for a daily?

And if this is possible and you switch an encounter for a daily, does the encounter come back after combat, or stick around as the daily?

And can you get the same power twice this way? For instance, cast sleep, switch icy terrain for sleep, cast sleep?

And (perhaps not a rules question) isn't doling out an extra daily a bit much for a magic item daily? If you're sure it's your last encounter of the day the loss of an encounter doesn't sting much.

Vazzaroth
2008-12-22, 04:15 PM
I'm reading the rogue exploits in the Player's Handbook and I wanted to know one thing. What does [W] stand for?

IE: Your using dagger that does 1d4, and a power does 3[W], that would be 3d4. Note you don't add Str/Dex mod more than once though.

filiecs
2008-12-25, 01:25 AM
Q 243

When generating ability scores, what does it mean when it says "You must buy your score up to 10 before you can improve it further." (Pg.17 PHB)?

Q 244

I get confused when using points to generate ability scores. Can someone explain to me how to do it?:smallconfused:

Wait... did i post this on the wrong thread?

RTGoodman
2008-12-25, 01:45 AM
A 243 & 244

Take a look at the point buy chart. See how each score (8, 9, 10, and so on, through 18) has a cost next to it? That's how much of your point-buy budget it costs to set one of your ability scores to that number.

When you start out, you have five of your six ability scores (Str, Dex, etc.) at 10, and one (which you pick) at 8. From there, you also have a number of points to spend to increase those (usually 22 points for 4E, but it depends on the DM and the game). You can spend 2 points of that 22, for instance, to make any of your 10s into a 12, or 16 of your 22 points to turn a 10 into an 18. Basically, you've got those 22 points to spend to change all your scores, and each score (10, 13, etc.) costs a different amount of points.

When it says you have to buy a score up to 10 before you can improve it further, it means that you have to spend the 2 points from your starting 22 to make that starting 8 into a 10 before you can make it any higher, if you so choose.

Does that help? It is kinda confusing at first, but I think you should be able to get it. If you need further help, look at the sample arrays of scores on the next page - each of those arrays (that is, sets of scores) was made using 22-point buy. Also, if you want to check your own math when you make your own set of scores, there are tools out there like THIS ONE (http://www.hackslash.net/?p=210) called "point-buy calculators" which let you input your scores and tally the number of points you spent FOR YOU.

filiecs
2008-12-25, 02:36 AM
Thank you VERY much.:smallsmile:

Izmir Stinger
2008-12-29, 02:50 PM
First Post! :P

Q 245

The Adventurer's Vault adds a new weapon property called Brutal. Its description from the text:

Brutal: A brutal weapon’s minimum damage is higher than that of a normal weapon. When rolling the weapon’s damage, reroll any die that displays a value equal to or lower than the brutal value given for the weapon. Reroll the die until the value shown exceeds the weapon’s brutal value, and then use the new value.

This question is really more about probability than the rules, I guess, but here goes. Is there any reason I should treat a Craghammer (d10, Brutal 2) as the rule is written, rather than treating it as a d8+2 weapon? The range of results is 3-10 either way, but is there some obscure mathematical reason the two methods would present a different statistical distribution of results?

Obviously a "d6, Brutal 1" weapon can't be treated any other way because there is no d5, but with the Craghammer and Execution Axe, can I just simplify it and avoid the extra die rolls?

Hoggmaster
2008-12-29, 05:03 PM
A 245

Treat it as written, thus the craghammer does a d10 (brutal 2) with a range of 3-10.

The way I am going to use them in my game is that brutal weapons, when they roll below brutal value. Thus craghammer always does at least 3 dmg, the Kukri always does 2, etc.

Mando Knight
2008-12-29, 06:11 PM
Q 245
This question is really more about probability than the rules, I guess, but here goes. Is there any reason I should treat a Craghammer (d10, Brutal 2) as the rule is written, rather than treating it as a d8+2 weapon? The range of results is 3-10 either way, but is there some obscure mathematical reason the two methods would present a different statistical distribution of results?

Obviously a "d6, Brutal 1" weapon can't be treated any other way because there is no d5, but with the Craghammer and Execution Axe, can I just simplify it and avoid the extra die rolls?

A 245
You could do so, but you'll have to remember to add that +2 in for every [W], not just at the end of the damage rolls. For some, it would probably be better to just roll the dice, then reroll the low ones, especially with, say, epic-level 5 or 7[W] damage rolls.

Hoggmaster, by RAW, Brutal weapons have to reroll their low damage dice, so dealing with the damage your way gives a much lower average damage.

Izmir Stinger
2008-12-31, 12:06 PM
Thanks Mando, though I suppose that if there is some weird statistical rule that makes a difference it is possible we are simply both unaware of it.

Q 255

Another fighter question. Fighter's Combat Challenge class feature allows them to make an attack as an immediate interrupt against marked targets that try to shift away from a square adjacent to you. There are a bunch of feats that modify how Combat Challenge works, but Shield push confuses me a little bit.

Shield Push [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Fighter, Combat Challenge class
feature
Benefit: If you hit a foe with an attack granted by
your Combat Challenge class feature, you push the
target 1 square after dealing damage.
Special: You must carry a shield to benefit from
this feat.

OK, so if an enemy I have a mark on shifts (or attacks someone other than me), I can push them before their action is resolved if I hit with my attack, because it is an interrupt. Now with pushes provoked by an attack, I get what happens: I push them away from their target (if possible) and their attack is invalidated so they loose their action - bonus! But if they are shifting, their action is movement - usually only one square. If I successfully push them, they will no longer be adjacent to me, and they may not even be able to reach the square they were intending to reach before provoking my attack.

Since shifts are usually one square, pushing them one square may change the situation enough to make them not want to shift anymore. Do they get an option to cancel their movement without going anywhere (other than to where I pushed them)? If they do still have to shift, are they obligated to move to the square they were headed to before I interrupted and pushed them? What if they can't reach it, does that invalidate their action? If they have the option to cancel their movement, do they loose their move action by doing so? Now that they are no longer adjacent to me they can safely use normal movement - shifting and walking are both move actions - are they allowed to change to a regular move after I push them?

Basically, I don't understand how the monster is supposed to move after I push it (if at all). Since the whole point of this feat is controlling the battlefield to protect my allies by interfering with enemy movement (hell, that seems to be the main point of the class) I want to understand what options (if any) my foes will have if I successfully use this on them.

Thanks in advance.

Doug Lampert
2008-12-31, 07:24 PM
Thanks Mando, though I suppose that if there is some weird statistical rule that makes a difference it is possible we are simply both unaware of it.

Ph.D. in Applied Math. The only statistical rule where it would make a difference would be if the die was weighted. There may be a difference in player perception, some people like rolling bigger dice, and as others have pointed out, the d10 reroll 1 and 2 may have a lower chance of error on 3[w] attacks. So the way they do it isn't totally senseless.

But d10 rerolling all results of 1 and 2 and d8+2 have identical distributions. it's not hard to prove if you work through a series summation of the probabilities, but you don't need to bother, the intuitive approach (there are only 8 possibilities either way and they are all equally likely either way) is accurate in this case.

Similarly for d6 rerolling all results of 1 and d5+1. Note that you can read a d10 as a d5 by subtracting 5 from results of 6 or more (or half round up, but I find the second method easier).

Broadly speaking: brutal strikes me as a bad idea that is poorly implemented. Bonuses to damage already loom large compared to the die, one reason for all the 7[w] attacks, I'm not at all clear on the gain from requiring the player to pick out the 3 dice that rolled low and reroll them, and then reroll one of them again. How do brutal weapons scale up or down if used by a creature not medium or small?

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-01, 02:02 PM
Ph.D. in Applied Math.
But d10 rerolling all results of 1 and 2 and d8+2 have identical distributions.

Awesome. This is an answer I can take to the bank, thanks.

Broadly speaking: brutal strikes me as a bad idea that is poorly implemented...

How do brutal weapons scale up or down if used by a creature not medium or small?

The rules are mum on this question, as far as I can see. I think the idea is that brutal weapons are for PCs and NPCs and monsters use standard weapons. If a PC is not small or medium then you are already deviating from the RAW and need to make up your own rules for everything.

reese99
2009-01-02, 12:04 PM
Q 256
A question on marking opponents:
Assume the party consists of a fighter, a paladin, a warlock and a ranger, and all four PC's are attacking the same target. On each PC's initiative, the players take the appropriate steps required to apply their various marks on the target (warrior's mark, divine challenge, warlock's curse, hunter's quarry, respectively). Which of these marks stack on the target, and which simply get overwritten by later marks?

Thanks!

Gralamin
2009-01-02, 01:26 PM
How do brutal weapons scale up or down if used by a creature not medium or small?

I don't see any reason why the brutal would change. Larger weapons only increase die size, not property effects.

A 256
Only Warrior's Mark and Divine Challenge are actual marks. Warlock's Curse and Hunter's Quarry are different special abilities and will stack with everything. Warrior's Mark and Divine Challenge will not stack with each other.

Demons_eye
2009-01-03, 07:52 PM
Q: 257
were is the Factorum class found?
(sorry for the spelling)

Gralamin
2009-01-03, 08:03 PM
A: 257
You have the wrong thread, there is no Factotum in 4E (yet at least).

Demons_eye
2009-01-03, 08:15 PM
Damn your right, sorry.

JBento
2009-01-04, 09:36 AM
A 256
Only Warrior's Mark and Divine Challenge are actual marks. Warlock's Curse and Hunter's Quarry are different special abilities and will stack with everything. Warrior's Mark and Divine Challenge will not stack with each other.

A256 (Addendum)

Warlock's Curse won't stack with itself, however, unlike Hunter's Quarry. Two rangers can have the same Quarry, but a target can only have one Warlock's Curse - which is part of the reason why a party shouldn't have more than one.

Totally Guy
2009-01-06, 06:06 AM
Q258 When dealt a critical hit do extra damage dice such as Quarry, Sneak attack and Curse also become maximised as well as the attack damage?

Mando Knight
2009-01-06, 09:56 AM
A 258
No. Any source of bonus damage dice is never maximized with a critical hit. This includes the extra weapon dice from a critical with a Vorpal weapon.

Doug Lampert
2009-01-06, 01:06 PM
A 258
No. Any source of bonus damage dice is never maximized with a critical hit. This includes the extra weapon dice from a critical with a Vorpal weapon.
Cite for that? I thought the rule was that all dice except bonus dice given specifically because the attack was a crit were maximized. This high crit bonus dice and magic bonus dice for a crit aren't maximized but dice from other sources are.

tcrudisi
2009-01-08, 03:19 AM
Cite for that? I thought the rule was that all dice except bonus dice given specifically because the attack was a crit were maximized. This high crit bonus dice and magic bonus dice for a crit aren't maximized but dice from other sources are.

A 258, Clarification
PHB p. 278: Extra Damage: Magic weapons and implements, as well as high crit weapons, can increase the damage you deal when you score a critical hit. If this extra damage is a die roll, it's not automatically maximum damage; you add the result of the roll.

Follow it with this:

Ranger, Hunter's Quarry: Once per round, you deal extra damage to your quarry. (page 104)

Rogue, Sneak Attack: Once per round...(edited for space)... an attack you make against that enemy deals extra damage if the attack hits. (page 117)

Warlock, Warlock's Curse: If you damage a cursed enemy, you deal extra damage (page 131)

Hopefully, those are the citations you need. I used bold to accentuate the important points.

tcrudisi
2009-01-08, 03:24 AM
Q 259

Per the FAQ, if a monster has resistance and Insubstantial, the resistance applies first. So in the case of resistance (fire) 5 and insubstantial, and attack that deals 20 fire damage normally would only deal (20-5)/2 = 7 damage against said monster.

However, what if you throw in a Pack Zombie? It has an ability that does the following:

Lurching Sacrifice (immediate interrupt; encounter)
This power triggers automatically when a nonminion ally adjacent to a pack zombie is hit by a melee attack. The pack zombie is destroyed, and the damage dealt to the ally is reduced by 5.

So when would that damage be reduced? Would it become (20-5-5)/2 = 5 damage, or would it become (20-5)/2 = 7-5 = 2 damage?

I lean towards the former since it's an immediate interrupt, but I would like clarification.

JBento
2009-01-08, 04:49 AM
A 258, Clarification
PHB p. 278: Extra Damage: Magic weapons and implements, as well as high crit weapons, can increase the damage you deal when you score a critical hit. If this extra damage is a die roll, it's not automatically maximum damage; you add the result of the roll.

Bolding mine. If it specifically says that THIS extra damage is not maximised, then I've inferred that other types of extra damage ARE.

A 259
I believe you are, indeed, correct. Notice that the power triggers as soon as the target is hit, not when it's damaged. Therefore, all effects resulting form the power are applied before everything else.

tcrudisi
2009-01-08, 08:46 AM
Bolding mine. If it specifically says that THIS extra damage is not maximised, then I've inferred that other types of extra damage ARE.

*edited post, since I contacted D&D Q&A and found out that I was indeed wrong. They are maximised*

Edge of Dreams
2009-01-10, 01:56 AM
Q 242

Does the Mnemonic Staff (Adv. Vault, p. 104) allow the user to switch an encounter for a daily? A utility for a daily?

And if this is possible and you switch an encounter for a daily, does the encounter come back after combat, or stick around as the daily?

And can you get the same power twice this way? For instance, cast sleep, switch icy terrain for sleep, cast sleep?

And (perhaps not a rules question) isn't doling out an extra daily a bit much for a magic item daily? If you're sure it's your last encounter of the day the loss of an encounter doesn't sting much.

A 242 By RAW, only Daily and Utility powers are "Prepared" from the spellbook. You do not get more than one encounter power from any given level, encounter powers do not go in your spell book, and you do not prepare encounter powers. See page 158 of the PHB. Thus, you may swap out a Daily for a Daily or Utility of lower level, or a Utility for a Daily or Utility of lower level with this staff. That is RAW. Yes, it also means you can swap for a power you've already used, or at least that's how I see it.

Swaping out a Utility for a lower level daily is still very powerful, though. What I think they intended, and a more balanced interpretation, would be to say you can only swap a Daily for a Daily or a Utility for a Utility.

Grynning
2009-01-14, 12:28 AM
Q 260 Warlord Daily 5 "Villain's Nightmare" (PH p. 147) states "when you are adjacent to the target and it walks or runs, you can cancel that movement as an immediate interrupt." In the combat section under "Actions in Combat" (p. 286-292), "Walk" and "Run" are action types, and do not seem to care which movement mode you use. So, if the target has a Fly, Burrow or Swim speed, but uses a Walk or Run action, can the Warlord still cancel it? For Phasing and Teleporting the answer is obviously no, since they are their own action types in the combat section, but Burrow, Fly and Swim are not, so I'm guessing that even if you use one of these modes, you are still technically taking a "Walk" or a "Run" action.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-01-14, 12:54 AM
A 260 Yeah, you are pretty much right. "Walk" and "run" are just the way that the PHB refers to normal and hasty movement. So you can, in fact, "run" while flying, burrowing, swimming or climbing. If the target is within range, but happens to be burrowing or flying or whatever rather than standing on the ground, they are still stopped by this power.

Hraddik
2009-01-14, 01:45 PM
Newbie here, sorry if these have already been asked:

Q 261 My Dwarven Cleric hit an enemy with Sacred Flame and I granted our rogue with 3 temporary hps. Later in the battle, the rogue goes down, down to -7 hps. My understanding is the temp hps last until the end of the encounter right? So there is one bad guy left, if he gets killed the rogue no longer has the 3 temp hps and goes to -10 and dies? Since the encounter is over?

Q 262 My Dwarven Cleric already has dwarven weapon proficiency due to race, did I waste a feat by taking axes and hammers training to get a +2? Do they do the same thing or does the feat simply give me an extra +2. My STR is 16 and he wields a war hammer- what exactly is his damage?

THanks a bunch!

Mauril Everleaf
2009-01-14, 02:07 PM
A 261 A couple of things here. First, temporary hit points are kept track of separately from regular hit points, largely due to the fact that sources of temp HP don't stack (usually). So your rogue would, for example, have 25 HP and the 3 temp HP from Sacred Flame. Say your rogue takes 10 damage; you would first use up her temp HP, and then would take 7 damage to her regular HP. Also, characters no longer die immediately at -10 HP. They die at their negative bloodied value or after failing three Death Saves. Most of this information is on pages 293 and 294 of the PHB. The issue with dying is on page 295.

A 262You did not waste a feat, since the racial ability grants you proficiency (allowing the proficiency bonus based on the weapon) and the feat grants you an additional feat bonus of +2 damage. With a melee basic attack, your dwarf would do 1d10+5 damage (1d10+6 if wielded with two hands), and would have a +5 bonus to hit, when using a mundane warhammer.

RTGoodman
2009-01-14, 02:11 PM
A 261

You're not quite doing temporary hit points correctly, I don't think. They last until the end of the encounter, but only if they haven't been used. Really, temporary HP just act as a "damage buffer" - when you take damage, you subtract it from your temporary HP before your real HP.

If a Rogue is down to 5 HP and you just granted him 3 temporary HP, then damage has to affect those 3 first. Now say a goblin hits him for 6 damage. By your method, he'd be down at -1 HP (I think) and would drop to -4 later when those HP went away. Instead, what happens is the 3 temporary HP soak up the damage first, leaving the Rogue to only take the other 3 damage (so he's still up at 2 HP).

Also, check out the rules on Death and Dying in the PHB - you don't die at -10 in 4E. You die either at your negative bloodied value, or after failing three death saving throws.

A 262

I assume you're talking about the Dwarven Weapon Training feat and how it relates to your Dwarf racial feature (Dwarven Weapon Proficiency). The racial feature ONLY gives you proficiency with the specific weapons, meaning you can add the proficiency bonus (see the PHB) on attack rolls with them. The benefit of Dwarven Weapon Training (the feat) if you'll notice, is that it gives you proficiency with ALL HAMMERS AND AXES (so you always have your proficiency bonus to attacks when you use them). Yes, even Superior ones. Alongside giving access to more and usually better weapons (compare the Mordenkrad from Adventurer's Vault to the PHB warhammer and see what I'm talking about), it ALSO gives you an extra +2 damage.

Basically, the feat lets you use more and different weapons, AND gives you +2 damage when you use any axe or hammer. A basic attack for you, then would normally deal 1d10+3 damage (from your Str). With the feat, you'd deal 1d10+5 damage.

EDIT: Apparently I'm very slow...

Hraddik
2009-01-14, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the quick, clear responses folks!

Mando Knight
2009-01-14, 03:29 PM
A 262

I assume you're talking about the Dwarven Weapon Training feat and how it relates to your Dwarf racial feature (Dwarven Weapon Proficiency). The racial feature ONLY gives you proficiency with the specific weapons, meaning you can add the proficiency bonus (see the PHB) on attack rolls with them. The benefit of Dwarven Weapon Training (the feat) if you'll notice, is that it gives you proficiency with ALL HAMMERS AND AXES (so you always have your proficiency bonus to attacks when you use them). Yes, even Superior ones. Alongside giving access to more and usually better weapons (compare the Mordenkrad from Adventurer's Vault to the PHB warhammer and see what I'm talking about), it ALSO gives you an extra +2 damage.

A 262 Continued!
The Dwarven Weapon Training feat is good for pretty much just the Mordenkrad, and Executioner's Axe. (Urgrosh and Double Axe are also part of the bonus, but they're best for those who can use two weapons) Of these, I recommend the Mordenkrad: a brutal weapon with two damage dice. Minimum damage is 4, maximum damage is 12, average is 8. You will cut tha tentacle wit' a hammer. Double weapons (urgrosh, double axe) are good for Tempest fighters and Rangers that want a bit more AC, and the Executioner's Axe has a higher chance of rolling 12 on damage and can be made Vorpal, but doesn't have as good of a damage spread.

The Eladrin Soldier feat works pretty much the same way, granting proficiency in all spears, including the Tratnyr (Javelin with d8 damage and Versatile), Greatspear (Longspear with a +3 proficiency bonus), and the Urgrosh (d12/d8 double weapon).

Hraddik
2009-01-14, 04:51 PM
Thanks- Temp hps crystal clear.

Question about "the Mordenkrad: a brutal weapon with two damage dice. Minimum damage is 4, maximum damage is 12, average is 8. You will cut tha tentacle wit' a hammer.

I don't have a AV book, I assume the Mordenkrad is 2d6? What is brutal?

Mando Knight
2009-01-14, 05:05 PM
Thanks- Temp hps crystal clear.

Question about "the Mordenkrad: a brutal weapon with two damage dice. Minimum damage is 4, maximum damage is 12, average is 8. You will cut tha tentacle wit' a hammer.

I don't have a AV book, I assume the Mordenkrad is 2d6? What is brutal?

Mordenkrad is 2d6 brutal 1, meaning that whenever you roll damage dice for the weapon, if any 1s come up, you re-roll them until you get at least a 2. This alters the damage curve, as it ends up identical (IIRC) to 2d5+2. Executioner's Axe is similar: a 1d12 brutal 2 weapon, so it ends up like a 1d10+2 weapon where the +2 is added to every single [W].

The cutting of tentacles with hammers bit comes from our good dwarven friend :durkon:

tcrudisi
2009-01-15, 05:43 AM
Q 263 Obviously a missed attack never damages a minion. What about things like Cleave (Fighter at-will level 1 attack power) where you don't need to make an attack roll against the minion?

JBento
2009-01-15, 06:07 AM
A263

I believe the correct answer is: downed minion :smallbiggrin:

Ceaon
2009-01-15, 06:25 AM
A 263 (continued)
A missed attack never damages a minion (for example: the fighter at-will power Reaping Strike).
An attack that doesn't require an attack roll will kill a minion (for example, a succesful Cleave or a Paladin's mark ability).

Hzurr
2009-01-15, 11:51 AM
A263 - Still continued

This is more or less what this power is meant to be used for, to cleave a path through minions.

Connor Darkdart
2009-01-15, 01:16 PM
Q264

If my players kill a Kobold Skirmisher, do they each get the full 100 xp or do I split it?

RTGoodman
2009-01-15, 01:34 PM
A 264

They split it.

As an aside, encounters in 4E are supposed to be, on average, a number of enemies of the party's level equal to the number of people IN the party. A 1st level party of five, for instance, would normally fight five Level 1 enemies. In order for PCs to advance "on schedule," your combats (unless it's against a Solo monster) should include a variety of different enemies rather than just one. For more info, check out the section of the DMG on "XP Budget" or whatever they call it. I believe (AFB) that it's either pg. 56 or pg. 64.

mrmaxmrmax
2009-01-15, 11:39 PM
Q 265

If I use a Frozen Whetstone [AV 190] on a longsword, do the powers I use with the long sword have the Cold keyword?

and to follow up...

Q 266

Can you use a reagent [AV 192] with a two-handed weapon like a bow?

Maxwell.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-01-16, 12:24 AM
A 265 The text on page 55 of the PHB indicates that any power that deals acid damage has the Acid keyword. A logical extrapolation from that is that any power that does a specified damage type has that damage keyword. Since your power now does (a small amount of) cold damage, it would have the Cold keyword. You are now eligible to utilize the Wintertouched/Lasting Frost combo, but for only one attack at the cost of 100 gold.

A 266 You cannot, as the text on AV 192 states that you must be "holding a reagent to use it" and it is not consumed until after the beginning of the power. Since wielding a two-handed weapon requires both hands be on the weapon, and using a reagent requires a free hand, you are kind of out of luck. As reagents seem to be intended for use by casters to augment their abilities (like whetstones are for weapon users), this may be intentional.

Dark Knight Renee
2009-01-16, 05:08 PM
Q 267 Eldritch Blast says that it counts as a ranged basic attack, and that if another power allows you to make a ranged basic attack, you can use Eldritch blast.

My problem is that the meaning of the word "basic" is unclear, as I haven't seen it used in any of the attack rules. Maybe I'm blind.

Douglas
2009-01-16, 05:19 PM
A267
If you look somewhere in the combat section of the PHB you will find two at-will powers that everyone has regardless of class called Melee Basic Attack and Ranged Basic Attack (I might have the word order wrong, working from memory here). The melee one is just a plain STR vs AC for [W]+STR damage, and ranged is DEX vs AC for [W]+DEX damage.

There are certain items, feats, and abilities that affect only these powers or allow you to make an attack with the restriction that it has to be with one of these two powers (often further specified to only the melee one). The most common example is that Opportunity Attacks must be done with the melee basic attack.

That feature of Eldritch Blast means that anything that affects or uses the ranged basic attack power also works with Eldritch Blast. For example, there is an item (can't remember the name offhand) that gives extra damage with ranged basic attacks. Eldritch Blast benefits from this item. There are a small number of Warlord powers that give an ally a free basic attack (there are considerably more that give a free melee basic attack). You can use Eldritch Blast when such a power is used on you. If Eldritch Blast were melee instead of ranged, you would be able to use it for Opportunity Attacks. And so on.

Dark Knight Renee
2009-01-16, 05:33 PM
Thanks! Appears that I am, in fact, blind. I don't recall ever having seen that page before - or the one right next to it, containing the teleport rules. :smallannoyed:

Or perhaps that my PHB is self-aware and intentionally concealing the page...

Mando Knight
2009-01-16, 08:44 PM
A267 There are a small number of Warlord powers that give an ally a free basic attack (there are considerably more that give a free melee basic attack). You can use Eldritch Blast when such a power is used on you.

A 267, Continued. Most important of these powers is an at-will that is a TacLord's bread and butter: Commander's Strike, which grants an ally capable of striking the Warlord's target a free attack with the Lord's Int modifier as a bonus to the damage roll. A good TacLord will have a good Int modifier... meaning that you may even get your pact boon if you cursed it, or a second go-round at trying to deal your Curse damage if you missed on your turn.

KillianHawkeye
2009-01-17, 04:17 PM
A 267, Continued. Most important of these powers is an at-will that is a TacLord's bread and butter: Commander's Strike, which grants an ally capable of striking the Warlord's target a free attack with the Lord's Int modifier as a bonus to the damage roll. A good TacLord will have a good Int modifier... meaning that you may even get your pact boon if you cursed it, or a second go-round at trying to deal your Curse damage if you missed on your turn.

Commander's Strike allows a melee basic attack, so a Warlock couldn't use their Eldritch Blast with it. (Although if you're referring to a melee-based Warlock, then you are correct.)

mrmaxmrmax
2009-01-17, 10:19 PM
Q 268

When using a power like Handspring Assault [MP 74] in the place of a basic melee attack during a charge, do you get the same +1 to attack that you would get from the charge?

Q 269

Using Cloud of Steel [PHB 121], I can attack many targets. If I have combat advantage on more than one target, can I apply sneak attack damage to all targets granting me combat advantage? Does the once per round mean I have to choose which one gets the extra damage?

Maxwell.

Mando Knight
2009-01-17, 11:09 PM
Q 269

Using Cloud of Steel [PHB 121], I can attack many targets. If I have combat advantage on more than one target, can I apply sneak attack damage to all targets granting me combat advantage? Does the once per round mean I have to choose which one gets the extra damage?

Maxwell

A 269 No, you may not add Sneak Attack damage to multiple targets using Cloud of Steel. The Sneak Attack damage is against "an enemy" once per round. Like vulnerabilities and resistances, Sneak Attack damage is only added to the target of the Sneak Attack damage. You may, however, choose which one of the opponents you have Combat Advantage against takes the Sneak Attack damage.

JBento
2009-01-18, 06:42 AM
A268

Yep. You get +1 to attack rolls during a charge, independently of what attack you use.

bremlar
2009-01-20, 12:17 PM
Q270

A Paladin can target himself with lay on hands, since he counts as a creature. Now, a Paladin has the Healing Hands feat, which gives the following benefit:

When you use the lay on hands power, the affected ally regains additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.

Am I correct in reading this to mean that a Paladin does not get the extra HP from Healing Hands if he targets himself with lay on hands?

Q271

The Paladin paragon path Hospitaler gives the character a path feature at lvl 16 called Hospitaler's Care. The wording of this path feature is as follows:

You add your Charisma modifier to the healing provided each time use your lay on hands power.

Am I correct in assuming that this would stack with the additional HP gained by Healing Hands, and thus any ally you targeted with lay on hands gains back HP equal to their healing surge value + 2Cha?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-01-20, 02:00 PM
A 270 Sadly, you are correct. Since the wording of the feat specifies "ally" and you are never considered your own ally, the CHA bonus does not apply when healing yourself. This is probably not the intention, but that is what the rule stipulates.

A 271 You are correct again. Keep in mind that healing yourself (under the strict interpretation) would only add your CHA modifier once.

Exiled
2009-01-23, 06:49 AM
Didn't want to read 25 pages of Q&A so apologizing in advance if these two questions have already been answered.

Q272 Does Lay on Hands (PH 91) provoke Opportunity Attacks from using it in melee? Like a Wizard using a Magic Missle while adjacent to an enemy?

Q273 Does Sacred Circle (PH 93) have infinte highth for in game purposes? This question arose when the PCs were faced with a 10x10 pit, and the paladin used his Sacred Circle on the ledge before decending into the sewers below (35 feet down). There the PCs fought some monsters, directly under the circle, and the issue of the +1 AC from the Sacred Circle was an issue. The DM ruled that because the monsters below had begun to hide as the PCs began to examine the pit, that the encounter had started so the Sacred Circle could be used essentially out of combat.

mathewt
2009-01-23, 07:33 AM
A272 Lay on Hands has an attack type/range of melee and therefore doesn't provoke Opportunity Attacks.

Skwaire
2009-01-23, 10:50 PM
Q274 About AC, let's say I attack an enemy with an AC of 20 and an HP of 15 and I roll up 8 damage, does the damage make the AC go down to 12?