PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) [Special 4e Edition]

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

RTGoodman
2009-01-23, 10:56 PM
A 274

No. AC is a static value that never decreases unless something specifically affects it. When you roll your attack, if it beats the AC, you subtract the damage from the target's hit points. It's that simple. (Until you add in temporary hit points, various powers, and all sorts of other complex stuff.. :smallwink:)

Mando Knight
2009-01-23, 11:40 PM
Q274 About AC, let's say I attack an enemy with an AC of 20 and an HP of 15 and I roll up 8 damage, does the damage make the AC go down to 12?

No, as rtg said... Everyone who fights a deity/really old dragon wishes it did, though.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-01-24, 01:14 AM
A 273 The ruling seems to be that all radii are three dimensional.
A burst starts in an origin square and extends in all directions to a specified number of squares from the origin square. So, for Sacred Circle, you affect three squares above and below your origin square, left, right, front and back. Essentially, "bursts" are cubes.

Exiled
2009-01-24, 01:17 AM
awesome, thanks!

Skwaire
2009-01-24, 02:49 PM
Q275 I have a couple questions about some terms used in the phb. What does "save ends", "1 square within 10 squares", and "adjacent" mean? for the 1 square within 10 squares, does it mean within 10 squares surrounding my character, or just straight ahead?

RTGoodman
2009-01-24, 03:00 PM
A 275

Any effects that say (save ends) mean just that. At the end of each turn, you roll a "saving throw" (basically just 1d20, unless you have any specific modifiers) to see whether or not you throw off the effect. For instance, say you hit an enemy with a power that says "Hit: 2[W] + Str modifier damage, and the target is slowed (save ends)." If you hit the target with the power, it takes the damage and is slowed (see PHB 277 for condition summaries). At the end of the enemy's turn, he rolls a d20 with no special modifiers (since he's just a normal guy). On a 1-10 1-9, he fails and is still slowed. On an 11-20 10-20, he succeeds on the saving throw and is no longer slowed. You do this for each condition, and repeat it at the end of each turn.

For your second question, "1 square within 10 squares" means simply that - any one single square within ten squares of you in any direction. There are no rules for "facing" in D&D 3.x-4E, so you almost never have to worry about what direction you're looking.

"Adjacent" simply means "in one of the squares next to you." If you're surrounded by enemies (that is, there's one in each of the 8 squares around your square), then you have 8 adjacent enemies. If you have a power that lets you attack an adjacent enemy, you can attack any that are in a square next to you.

By the way, you might want to check out the "How to Read a Power" section of the Player's Handbook, on pg. 54-59. It can answer most of your questions like that, I think.

EDIT: Ah, right, thanks Killian. I had it right eventually but said, "That doesn't look right" and changed it. :smallsigh:

KillianHawkeye
2009-01-24, 05:33 PM
A 275 correction

At the end of the enemy's turn, he rolls a d20 with no special modifiers (since he's just a normal guy). On a 1-10, he fails and is still slowed. On an 11-20, he succeeds on the saving throw and is no longer slowed. You do this for each condition, and repeat it at the end of each turn.

You succeed on a Saving Throw on a roll of 10 or higher, and fail on a roll of 9 or less. Otherwise, you were right about everything.

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-25, 04:44 AM
Anybody got any ideas on question 255 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5568812&postcount=704), or should we just houserule it?

JBento
2009-01-25, 05:50 AM
A255 (maybe)

I'm AFB, but doesn't Combat Challenge say that if you make an OA provoked by movement, the target's movement ends?
If so, then he loses the action he used to shift. He can do whatever he wants with any action(s) he has left.

KillianHawkeye
2009-01-25, 11:52 AM
A255 (maybe)

I'm AFB, but doesn't Combat Challenge say that if you make an OA provoked by movement, the target's movement ends?
If so, then he loses the action he used to shift. He can do whatever he wants with any action(s) he has left.

No, you are thinking of the Fighter's Combat Superiority class feature, which only applies to OAs and not to the attack granted by Combat Challenge. The question remains unresolved.

EDIT: Page 285 of the PHB says that forced movement doesn't count against the target's ability to move for that round. I would say that this means the creature would be able to resolve his Shift action from his new location, in whatever direction it wishes (in keeping with what is most beneficial to them at the time).

This would not allow them to spontaneously change their Shift into a Move, but they could use another action to Move if they wanted.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-01-25, 04:34 PM
A255 cont To dovetail on what KillianHawkeye said, the attacker chose to use its move action to shift. Shifts are usually one square, but some creatures can shift multiple squares. If the shift is one square, the shield push activates when they attempt the shift, their shift is invalidated and they are pushed one square away from you. The rest of their actions, obviously remain, so a kobold (for example) could still use its minor to shift again (because of its racial ability), it could convert it's standard into a move and shift again, or it could use the standard to charge. If the creature can shift multiple squares with one action, one square of their shifting is invalidated by the attack and they are pushed one square, but they may finish the shift if any squares remain. They may also convert a standard to a move and shift, or charge.

The kicker about this one is that you are only allowed one immediate action per combatant's turn, so once you attack from Combat Superiority, you cannot attack this creature again this turn. So it's only really useful against less than dedicated opponents and only a real stopper against things which chose to use a shift as their last action.

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-26, 01:25 AM
C 255

Killian & Mauril, you seem to have given contradictory answers. Killian, based on the section you referenced you are saying that they may continue their movement from the square I push them to, but Mauril, you are saying that their movement is invalidated.

I see I am not the only one confused by this.

KillianHawkeye
2009-01-26, 08:00 AM
The kicker about this one is that you are only allowed one immediate action per combatant's turn, so once you attack from Combat Superiority, you cannot attack this creature again this turn. So it's only really useful against less than dedicated opponents and only a real stopper against things which chose to use a shift as their last action.

Incorrect, you get one Immediate Action per round, not per turn. This means you have to choose which of your opponents to use your Combat Challenge against if there is more than one that might trigger it. (OAs are the only thing I can think of that is per turn, but as I said before, they aren't the same as the Combat Challenge attack.)

@Izmir Stinger: Yes, we've pretty well established that this situation isn't completely spelled out in the book. I gave the way that I would probably rule it in a game, and Mauril gave the other possibility. It should pretty much be ruled one of those two ways, though. I hope that helps.

Saph
2009-01-26, 11:22 AM
Q. 276

Your initial HP is determined by your Constitution score and by your class. When your Constitution score goes up by a point (say at level 11) does your HP total increase by a point as well?

Q. 277

Does an unconscious and dying creature count as bloodied? The rules seem to suggest that they do.

- Saph

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-26, 01:40 PM
A 276

Yes.

A 277

Yes.

Common, give us a hard one.

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-26, 01:42 PM
@Izmir Stinger: Yes, we've pretty well established that this situation isn't completely spelled out in the book. I gave the way that I would probably rule it in a game, and Mauril gave the other possibility. It should pretty much be ruled one of those two ways, though. I hope that helps.

Seems that way. I think I had narrowed it down to three possibilities, and you guys each picked one.

Saph
2009-01-26, 02:39 PM
Common, give us a hard one.

Well, since you asked, I do have a few more. :)

Q. 278

Can you take Weapon Focus (Staff) and get the damage bonus for all your arcane powers using the staff as an implement?

Q. 279

How about for Orbs or Wands?

Q. 280

My Wizard multiclasses into Cleric and takes the Divine Oracle paragon path. Can she use her Staff implement for her Hammer of Fate level 20 Divine Oracle daily power?

Q. 281

The Staff of Defence class feature allows a Wizard to interrupt an attack and add a bonus to his defence against an attack, even after the DM has already told him the damage total. Does the DM have to tell the player the exact attack roll? For example, if the Wizard's AC is 18, his Constitution modifier is +2, and the DM's attack against him is a 22, does the DM have to tell him that the roll is a 22 and his Staff of Defence won't help, or can the DM just say "The attack hits" and force the player to guess whether he should spend his Staff of Defence feature or not?

- Saph

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-26, 04:11 PM
A 278

No, powers need the weapon keyword and express damage as a function of X[W] to benefit from effects that modify weapon damage. Weapon focus(staff) would give you a bonus when you physically hit someone with your staff, which should be rarely, if ever. I am unaware of any power that has both the weapon and implement keywords, but my knowledge is not exhaustive.

A 279

No, they don't even qualify as weapons.

A 280

Yes. You may use any implement you are proficient with to empower the attack and damage rolls of any power that has the implement keyword.

A 281

The wording suggests that the Wizard knows the result of the attack roll, but this is not explicitly stated. I think the writer was working under the assumption that all rolls are done openly. It is also worth noting that none of the other class features involve guesswork on the part of the player.

The DMG discusses different strategies for revealing the outcomes of rolls - hiding or showing - and the pros and cons of each, but in this regard the Dungeon Master is not obligated to do anything.

If your dungeon master refuses to tell you the roll until you have committed to using the power, try this strategy. Next time he rolls an attack against you and asks for your defense stat, tell him you won't say. The "not obligated" argument can work in your favor: you are not obligated to show him your character sheet. Everything written assumes he has access to it, but nothing actually says you have to. This will either bring him to see reason or kill your character in a fit of apoplexy. Either way, you don't have to worry about how staff of defense works anymore.

Saph
2009-01-26, 04:16 PM
A 278

No, powers need the weapon keyword and express damage as a function of X[W] to benefit from effects that modify weapon damage. Weapon focus(staff) would give you a bonus when you physically hit someone with your staff, which should be rarely, if ever. I am unaware of any power that has both the weapon and implement keywords, but my knowledge is not exhaustive.

Are you sure about this one? I've heard from several sources that the Weapon Focus feat works on longswords used as an implement (e.g. for Swordmages) so I was wondering if the same applies for staffs. Is there a page reference that nails it down one way or another?

Edit: Oh, and while I'm at it . . . :)

Q. 282

Can a flaming sphere provide flanking or benefit from combat advantage while flanking?

Q. 283

Can you flank and thus gain combat advantage with a close burst or close blast attack? Or with a ranged attack, for that matter?

Q. 284

Are subsequent attacks with a flaming sphere beyond the first turn boosted by your implement's enhancement bonus?

Q. 285

Is the 1d4+Int damage done by a flaming sphere to creatures that start their turn next to it boosted by your implement's enhancement bonus?

- Saph

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-26, 06:04 PM
Are you sure about this one? I've heard from several sources that the Weapon Focus feat works on longswords used as an implement (e.g. for Swordmages) so I was wondering if the same applies for staffs. Is there a page reference that nails it down one way or another?

C 278

Now that I have looked, no I am not, but it smells like cheese. Someone else want to field it?

A 282

A RAW reading would suggest yes IFF you do not have the errata, which replaces the second paragraph on page 59 with "Unless a power description says otherwise, a conjuration cannot be attacked or physically affected, and a conjuration does not occupy any squares.”

If you do not occupy a square, you cannot flank. I suspect this was part of the reason they errata'd conjurations.

A 283

Attacks do not flank, the presence of allies on opposite sides of a creature do. The conditions for flanking are listed on pg. 285.

"Opposite Sides: To flank an enemy, you and an ally
must be adjacent to the enemy and on opposite
sides or corners of the enemy’s space.
When in doubt about whether two characters
flank an enemy, trace an imaginary line between the
centers of the characters’ squares. If the line passes
through opposite sides or corners of the enemy’s
space, the enemy is flanked.
✦ Must Be Able to Attack: You and your ally must
be able to attack the enemy, whether you’re armed
or unarmed. If there’s no line of effect between your
enemy and either you or your ally, you don’t flank. If
you’re affected by an effect that prevents you from
taking opportunity actions, you don’t flank.
✦ Large, Huge, and Gargantuan Creatures: If a
flanking creature’s space takes up more than 1
square, the creature gains combat advantage if any
square it occupies counts for flanking."

If you meet these criteria, you flank, if not, you don't.

C 284

I'd say yes, but I will pass this one as well. There seem to be problems with the rules for conjurations.

C 285

What a horribly written spell - pass.

Mando Knight
2009-01-26, 06:58 PM
C 278

Now that I have looked, no I am not, but it smells like cheese. Someone else want to field it?

A 278 It is cheese. The old, stinking kind of cheese that no one wants to eat.
The key words in the feat's text is "damage rolls with that weapon group." When a weapon is being used as an implement, you aren't using the weapon as a weapon, else you would also gain the weapon's proficiency bonus to the attack rolls, as well. The damage and attack rolls with an implement attack have nothing to do with your weapon itself, as a dagger will do just as well as a greatsword for Sword Burst. Also, the implement power says nothing about a weapon, now does it? Thus, a power with an implement keyword does not gain a bonus from Weapon Focus any more than it does from Weapon Proficiency, but a power with the weapon keyword does.

A 283 You can use a Close, Area, or Ranged attack while flanking, and thus gain Combat Advantage while doing so. However, you will provoke an Attack of Opportunity for using Area or Ranged attacks. You will also want to be careful about your positioning for the attack.

A 284, 285 They are attack and damage rolls made by your spell with the Implement keyword, so your subsequent attacks/damages do gain the enhancement bonus.

Connor Darkdart
2009-01-27, 09:37 AM
Q286

I find the PHB a bit loose on this, but is there an actual limit on how many daily spells I can cast as a wizard? (So if I have 10 seperate daily spells, can I cast all of them on one day?)

Q287

If I am thinking about taking the Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon, does my base damage with a longsword matter? (Whether or not I should take weapon focus and Eladrin soldier)

Q288

Is there any restriction on Wizard At-Will Powers? (Or could I cast magic missile 200 times a day without penalty?)

Q289

Is it required for me to "prepare" spells like happened in 3.5?

KKL
2009-01-27, 09:45 AM
A286: Yes, you can cast each daily spell you know once. So if you have 10 different daily spells, you could cast them once each.
A287: Your base damage with a longsword does not matter at all.
A288: If you wanted to cast Magic Missile 200 times a day, yes, you could. At-Will abilities, unless noted in their stat block, can e used ad infinitum.
A289: No, it's not. You gain the allotted powers as per page 29 of the PHB. Wizards, though, can choose two daily spells when they normally gain a single one. However, you can only cast that one single daily spell per day. As an example, a level 1 Wizard could keep Flaming Sphere and Sleep in his spellbook, and at the beginning of a day, he could choose either spell to use for the day. His encounter and at-will spells are predetermined when he gains that level.

Douglas
2009-01-27, 10:19 AM
A286 and 289 clarification
As with all classes, the limit on how many daily powers you can use each day is the same as the number of daily powers you have, and it has to be once each. Wizards have the special option with their spellbook of learning multiple dailies each time they gain a new daily, but each set of dailies still counts as just one power. If you learn both Sleep and Acid Arrow at level 1, while you technically know two daily powers those two are considered the same power for uses per day limitations. In addition, you have to pick which one of the two you can use each day in advance. When you get to level 5 and have four dailies, you have to pick just two of them each day and you have to pick one from each set - no ignoring the level 1 powers to prepare both level 5 powers. This is all that remains of the spell preparation mechanic.

Example: Level 5 wizard has Sleep, Acid Arrow, Icy Grasp, and Web as his daily attack powers. In the morning he picks Sleep and Icy Grasp. That day he can use Sleep once and Icy Grasp once. He cannot use Acid Arrow or Web at all until the next day when he gets to change his choice. He could have picked Acid Arrow and Web instead, or Acid Arrow and Icy Grasp, or Sleep and Web. Picking Sleep and Acid Arrow, or Icy Grasp and Web, is not allowed.

JBento
2009-01-27, 02:35 PM
A 281

The wording suggests that the Wizard knows the result of the attack roll, but this is not explicitly stated. I think the writer was working under the assumption that all rolls are done openly. It is also worth noting that none of the other class features involve guesswork on the part of the player.

The DMG discusses different strategies for revealing the outcomes of rolls - hiding or showing - and the pros and cons of each, but in this regard the Dungeon Master is not obligated to do anything.

If your dungeon master refuses to tell you the roll until you have committed to using the power, try this strategy. Next time he rolls an attack against you and asks for your defense stat, tell him you won't say. The "not obligated" argument can work in your favor: you are not obligated to show him your character sheet. Everything written assumes he has access to it, but nothing actually says you have to. This will either bring him to see reason or kill your character in a fit of apoplexy. Either way, you don't have to worry about how staff of defense works anymore.

I see nothing in the wording to suggest that. Furthermore, I tend to NOT tell my players the result of the attack roll (any attack roll) and none of them has complained about it. I did used to tell them, but one of the players told me that I shouldn't, naming that mastery as one of the causes - and he was the one playing the wizard.
Also, you ARE obligated to show him your character sheet. The game says that the DM must approve of all characters, and he can't do that unless he sees them, now can he? That's like saying that the game doesn't really say that, unless you're dead, you're alive, and arguing that you are therefore immune to any power targeting living creatures...

Mando Knight
2009-01-27, 04:10 PM
Also, you ARE obligated to show him your character sheet. The game says that the DM must approve of all characters,

I read through the 4E DMG and PHB introductions again (the parts that tell you what are necessary to play/create characters), and they say nothing about the PC requiring the DM's approval for a character. It is common courtesy to show your DM your character's sheet, but it is not RAW.

The Staff of Defense's feature assumes that the PC knows before deciding whether or not to use the power if the defense boost will make sufficient difference to negate the attack, as it seems to be used in the same manner as 3.5's Mounted Combat: negate an otherwise painful attack, this time by increasing the defense rather than making an opposed check.

However, how attacks are resolved (either by telling the player the attack roll, or by asking for the defense) is pretty much a table-by-table thing. Some do it one way, others do it the other.

Asbestos
2009-01-27, 05:38 PM
Q286

Q287

If I am thinking about taking the Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon, does my base damage with a longsword matter? (Whether or not I should take weapon focus and Eladrin soldier)

A287: Your base damage with a longsword does not matter at all.

Actually... WotC is pretty fuzzy on this. I believe the real question is...

Q290:

"Do I add bonus damage from Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades) or Eldarin Soldier to attacks made using my longsword as an Implement (with powers with and without the weapon keyword)?"

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-27, 06:24 PM
A 290

Mando Knight and I seem to agree that the answer is no, but I cannot find anything in the rules that emphatically denies it. With a reading of the rules that is extremely skewed by "advantage to player" bias you could make the argument that the Weapon Focus feat or various racial feats or bonuses to weapon damage effect the damage of attacks the have the implement keyword, but it is a major stretch. It is very strongly implied that bonuses to weapon damage only boost damage when it is expressed as X[W].

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-30, 01:17 PM
A 284, 285 They are attack and damage rolls made by your spell with the Implement keyword, so your subsequent attacks/damages do gain the enhancement bonus.

C 284, 285

I thought of something that clearly isn't covered. If attacks by the conjuration in subsequent rounds do get the implement bonus (I agree, they should) do they get the enhancement bonus from the implement you currently have equipped, or the one you had equipped when you cast the power? There are numerous reasons one might switch implements in combat, especially if you can use wands.

Obviously there isn't a RAW answer to this, but it is something to consider when taking the power.

Mando Knight
2009-01-30, 03:52 PM
C 284, 285

I thought of something that clearly isn't covered. If attacks by the conjuration in subsequent rounds do get the implement bonus (I agree, they should) do they get the enhancement bonus from the implement you currently have equipped, or the one you had equipped when you cast the power? There are numerous reasons one might switch implements in combat, especially if you can use wands.

Obviously there isn't a RAW answer to this, but it is something to consider when taking the power.

You're right. There isn't a RAW answer to this... but I'd consider ruling that the character uses the enhancement bonus of the last implement used for that power for automatically rolled damage (like creatures beginning their turn next to a Flaming Sphere), and can switch which implement is sustaining/using the power by making the action to sustain the power/attack with the power with the other implement. For example:

Wizard the Wizard uses Flaming Sphere. He attacks with his +1 Wand, using his Implement Mastery to give the power the to-hit bonus. He smites down Monster, Sr., but Monster, Jr. is next to the sphere, healthy and alive. Jr. begins his turn, and takes the damage from starting next to the Flaming Sphere, with a bonus to the damage equal to the enhancement bonus of the Wand. Next turn, Wizard moves the Sphere from his +1 Wand to his +2 Orb of Some Effect while moving the sphere over to attack Jr. This attack gains the Orb's +2 bonus for the attack and damage rolls for this round. Jr.'s turn comes up again, and he takes more damage, this time with a +2 bonus from the Orb rather than the +1 bonus from the Wand.

Vazzaroth
2009-01-31, 05:48 PM
Q. 291

When an effect gives to conditions (Such as Slowed and Grants Combat advantage) and it says: Save ends both, does that mean one save stops both effects, or that the creature needs to take two saves?

The discussion about AoO above made me realize I don't know this in 4th: Can you have infinite AoOs in a round? I know you can only take one for each action that would grant one, but I thought you could take as many as you were able to.

Mando Knight
2009-01-31, 06:51 PM
Q. 291

When an effect gives to conditions (Such as Slowed and Grants Combat advantage) and it says: Save ends both, does that mean one save stops both effects, or that the creature needs to take two saves?

The discussion about AoO above made me realize I don't know this in 4th: Can you have infinite AoOs in a round? I know you can only take one for each action that would grant one, but I thought you could take as many as you were able to.

A 291 One save will end all conditions imposed by a single power. However, conditions from multiple powers will require separate saving throws.

A 292 You can make one Opportunity Action during each turn that is not your own. For example, if you're surrounded by eight idiots who want to walk away (not shift), and they each do so, you're entitled to make an AoO against each one, and then can still make AoOs against the eight more idiots that walk up next to you and make ranged attacks against someone else.

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-31, 07:11 PM
Q. 291

A 291 One save will end all conditions imposed by a single power. However, conditions from multiple powers will require separate saving throws.

C 291

There are also some powers that cause multiple effects that require separate saving throws. They are written like: "Hit: Target takes XdY damage and is effect1 (save ends), effect2 (save ends) and effect 3 (save ends)." This is more powerful and is usually reserved for daily powers. Controllers seem to have more powers like this than other roles do.

Anonomuss
2009-02-01, 05:28 AM
Q.293
Does Orcus' Touch of Death attack's ability, to reduce the target to 0 hit points, count as an effect or as damage for the purposes of the paladin level 25 Daily Power 'Even Hand of Justice'?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-02-01, 03:37 PM
A 293 Technically, it doesn't matter. Even Hand of Justice (which is a level 29 power, btw) states that the target takes the full damage and the effects of any power is uses (save ends) with all resistances and immunities being ignored. So, should you be able to hit Orcus' Will of 49 (you pretty much have to crit), and Orcus (knowing the effects of all conditions that are imposed on him) decides to use Touch of Death, he would be reduced to 0 HP.

tcrudisi
2009-02-05, 02:44 PM
Q. 294

I am confused by the Initiate of the Faith feat which grants me the ability to use the cleric's healing word power once a day. Healing word says that you can use this power twice per encounter, but no more than once per round. So, which is it? Can I use it once per day but two per encounter, or am I limited to just using it once in one encounter per day?

Thanks in adance guys.

Doug Lampert
2009-02-05, 05:13 PM
Q. 294

I am confused by the Initiate of the Faith feat which grants me the ability to use the cleric's healing word power once a day. Healing word says that you can use this power twice per encounter, but no more than once per round. So, which is it? Can I use it once per day but two per encounter, or am I limited to just using it once in one encounter per day?

Thanks in adance guys.A. 294Clerics can use it twice per encounter, ext... Initiates of the Faith can use it once per day.

Once per day means, you can use the power once (and only once) in each day. Specific rules (how the Initiate of the Faith uses Healing Word) override general rules (how normal clerics use Healing Word).

cupkeyk
2009-02-07, 03:54 AM
Q295

Can a creature occupy a square occupied by an illusion effect that is not affecting it? EG my allies' line of sight and movement are automatically not blocked by an Illusory wall(D366 IRC) but my opponents are subject to an attack roll and save ends. Can a rogue now occupy a square occupied by the wall? Does he gain concealment (or any other benefit) against a creature, who was hit by the wall and has not saved, by standing in that square?

sonofzeal
2009-02-09, 10:12 PM
Q296 - can anyone recommend a deity (doesn't matter what setting) for an amoral Artificer/Fleshwarper obsessed with research to worship, and to devote a Sacred Guardian to?

RTGoodman
2009-02-09, 10:28 PM
A 296

That's not really a "Q&A by RAW" kind of question, but I think in generic 4E the closest deity to what you want would probably be Ioun, the goddess of knowledge and stuff. Moradin is the god of crafting, so that could work, too. If you're in Forgotten Realms, Gond (god of artifice) or maybe Oghma (god of knowledge and invention) could work.

sonofzeal
2009-02-09, 11:06 PM
A 296

That's not really a "Q&A by RAW" kind of question, but I think in generic 4E the closest deity to what you want would probably be Ioun, the goddess of knowledge and stuff. Moradin is the god of crafting, so that could work, too. If you're in Forgotten Realms, Gond (god of artifice) or maybe Oghma (god of knowledge and invention) could work.
Ah sorry, you're right on RAW. However, your answer was very helpful and highly appreciated, and Gond works perfectly.

cupkeyk
2009-02-10, 04:26 AM
awwww, no oner has answered my first question and i already have another one...

Q 397
If a half elf warlord with Pact Initiate as a feat, selected the same at will he got from that feat warklock attack for his Delitante class feature, can he use that attack twice each encounter? Or will the two benefits overlap and not stack?

Jokes
2009-02-10, 07:05 AM
A 297

No, you cannot take the same power more than once (PHB 27), so you would have to choose a different at-will power. (answered in the WotC Q&A (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ask/20080929))

Cilvyn
2009-02-18, 04:20 PM
Q298

My friend here is building a Fighter.. Some skills are stances.. How the hack do they work..:P we can;t find anything bout them. A page or a short explanation will do. For example: how long last a stance with regeneration 5. WHole encounter/untill you switch stance? Please help us out!

Cil

RTGoodman
2009-02-18, 11:15 PM
A 298

Stances are special types of powers that give you a lasting benefit rather than just a single-round benefit.

When you use a power with the Stance keyword, you gain the benefit of that stance until (1) the encounter ends; (2) five minutes passes; or (3) you use a new Stance power.

EDIT: The specific page number is PHB pg. 55, in the description of Effect Types.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-02-19, 12:58 AM
A 298 cont Most stance powers allow you to end them before the conditions that rtg lists, but those are the maximums. Ending a stance (without switching to a new one) is generally a minor action, but some are free actions. The power will give specifics on how what it takes to end a stance. Initiating a new stance will end and old one without an additional action being required though.

Totally Guy
2009-02-19, 05:22 PM
299 Does a bonus granted saving throw against Death still give failure points towards death? P295 of the PHB seems to indicate these accrue on the save you make at the end of your turn.

For example Human Bob has just been knocked over and is dying.

Clorick the Cleric say's "I'll use my Holy Symbol of Hope to grant a save as an immediate reaction."
Bob: "Blast, failure!"

Then Harry the Rogue yells "I knew that choosing heal was a good skill to take, Stabilise Dying!"
Bob: "No Harry, grant me a saving throw, I might succeed and get up for my turn which is next!"
Harry: "Ok."
Bob:"Drat and Double Drat! Failure"

Bob: "My turn, end of my turn I roll a save.... fail!"

DM: "Bob dies."

Bob: "But I wasn't even unconscious for a whole round!"

Blackdrop
2009-02-20, 07:14 AM
Q. 300 If you make a crit with a rending axe and you have the reckless attacker feat, do you make two basic melee attacks?
This! Is! Sparta!

Kaelaroth
2009-02-20, 07:56 AM
Q301 How many classes will PHB2 have, and what will they be?

Blackdrop
2009-02-20, 08:22 AM
Q301 How many classes will PHB2 have, and what will they be?

A 301. It's not really a RAW question but: Avenger (Divine Striker), Invoker (Divine Controller), Bard (Arcane Leader), Sorcerer (Arcane Striker), Barbarian (Primal Striker), Druid (Primal Controller), Shaman (Primal Leader), and Warden (Primal Defender)

8 in all

gareth
2009-02-20, 02:32 PM
Q302
If a warlock has both a pact blade (which is always a light blade), and the Sneak of Shadows feat (which allows you to sneak attack with a light blade), can he sneak attack with his warlock powers?

RTGoodman
2009-02-20, 04:25 PM
A 302

Yep. As long as you meet the requirements for Sneak Attack, you can use it with any attack.

gareth
2009-02-20, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the answer. Presumably by the same logic you can make your pact blade a dagger, get the Daggermaster paragon path, and have all the effects apply to your warlock powers too.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-02-20, 06:54 PM
A 299 Sadly enough, yes, Bob does die. Because of the bonus from the Symbol of Hope, this is an unlikely event, but still possible. Logically, in this situation, your Cleric should have just used a healing power, or your Rogue should have used a DC10 Heal check to let Bob use a second wind (assuming he hasn't used it).

A 300 The wording of the feat and the power do not specify that they require any action (such as saying "make a melee basic attack as an immediate reaction") so, by RAW, on a crit you would be able to make 2 melee basic attacks, taking the -2 penalty to AC from Reckless Attacker.

Shadow_Elf
2009-02-20, 07:43 PM
Q 303: If I am a warlock using a Katar as my "Pact Blade", do my powers with the Implement keyword become High-Crit? Similarly, if I use a Kukri as my "Pact Blade", do my powers with the Implement keyword gain Brutal 1?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-02-20, 07:57 PM
A 303 By RAW, no, you do not. The Property lines in the weapon description only states that you add the enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls for warlock powers, and states that you do not gain the proficiency bonus when used as an implement. It does not state that you gain any other benefits from the weapon. It simply becomes a warlock implement that you can stab with. When you slash someone with your kukri pact blade, it will be Brutal 1, and when you stab someone with you katar pact blade, it will be High Crit. Warlock powers delivered by either simply gain the enchancement bonus of the weapon to hit and to damage.

Totally Guy
2009-02-20, 07:59 PM
A 299Logically, in this situation, your Cleric should have just used a healing power

The cleric doesn't have a turn. The next best thing is the immediate reaction which he did do. The dumb thing was requesting the rogue grant a save rather than
1)Stabilise dying,
2)Use second wind or
3)do nothing and wait for the cleric.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-02-20, 09:15 PM
Well, yeah. That's kinda what I meant. Just have Bob chill a round and let the cleric use a healing power on his turn. While dying is a condition that the Symbol of Hope can grant a save for, it is probably better used on things like Dazed or Petrified. But that's not really a RAW issue, so I'll leave it at that.

Reinboom
2009-03-05, 10:21 PM
Q304
Is there any rule that specifies that bonuses from the same source do not stack in this edition?
(Note: I'm already aware that the same type doesn't stack, but I can't find anything for the same source)

Mauril Everleaf
2009-03-06, 12:55 AM
A 304 I just read over the entire Combat section of the PHB (where bonuses, penalties and such are discussed) and the only time it is mentioned that things from the same source don't stack is in the Ongoing Damage section. But that's not really what you are looking for. Keep in mind, however, that most bonuses are typed. Ones granted by feats are often (but not always) feat bonuses, ones from powers are power bonuses, etc. There is no mention of source, as far as I can see. Named bonuses of the same type (as you noted) don't stack, but untyped bonuses would.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-06, 02:52 AM
C 304

What do you mean by source? The types are Armor, Enhancement, Feat, Item, Power, Proficiency, Racial and Shield (and untyped, with unlimited stacking). What is an example of a source?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-03-06, 02:23 PM
A C 304 From what I can tell, Sweet is referring to a rule in 3.5 which stated that bonuses from the same source (an item, feat, spell, etc.) do not stack. This kept you from casting the same spell with an untyped bonus ad infinium to have arbitrarily large modifiers. 4E largely did away with this by giving almost everything a typed modifier. There are some untyped modifiers, which are stated to always stack.

Reinboom
2009-03-06, 03:41 PM
Mauril Everleaf answered my question correctly.
As for what I'm referring to, a specific group of untyped bonus giving feats (that can be taken multiple times) in the PHB2.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-06, 05:05 PM
As for what I'm referring to, a specific group of untyped bonus giving feats (that can be taken multiple times) in the PHB2.

C 304

Really? They seemed really careful to avoid that kind of cheese in what they have released so far. Don't know why they would have gotten sloppy in PHB2. Do you have a feat name or page number so we can look it up when the book is actually released?

mrmaxmrmax
2009-03-07, 08:41 AM
Q 305

Do you need to be able to see your mark to take a combat challenge immediate interrupt attack? (PHB 76)

Q 306

If there are two different actions that take place at the beginning of your turn, is there a specific way that the actions take place? As an example, an ally was in my consecrated ground as well as in an enemy's razor storm. He wasn't bloodied (the only way he can get HP back in CG), so we opted for him to take the razors first so he could get some healing. My guess on this one is that there is no RAW, but I'd love to be proven wrong. (Related PHB 268)

Q 307

As a bow ranger, I walk up next to an enemy to provide a flank for my ally. I was reading the flanking section of the book and it seemed to suggest that I had combat advantage on the guy as well no matter how I attacked. Can you help to clarify PHB 289?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-03-07, 06:11 PM
A 305 You do not need to be able to see them, but you need to know which square they are in (through a Perception check opposed by Stealth determined prior to the immediate action) and you will take a -5 attack penalty on the attack for not being able to see the target. Since the Combat Challenge attack is a melee basic attack granted from a class feature and not an Opportunity Attack, the rule about invisible creatures not provoking OAs does not apply. (Note: Edited for better clarification)

A 307 You can flank regardless of your attack method, as long as you and an ally are in flanking positions. When a creature is flanked, it grants Combat Advantage to those that flank it. So you will gain the +2 to attack and any other relevant bonuses/abilities that having Combat Advantage allows your character. However, if you choose to use a ranged attack in melee range, you will provoke an attack of opportunity.

Izmir Stinger
2009-03-08, 02:13 AM
Q308
Do the skill check penalties from armor and Heavy Shields stack (for a potential -4 penalty with Plate/HShield)?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-03-08, 03:57 AM
A 308 Yes. Penalties always stack. The text on page 275 talks about bonuses and penalties. Unless the penalties come from the same power, penalties stack. Since a shield and armor are neither the same, nor powers, their penalties stack.

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-11, 09:03 PM
Q 309

If I use the Wintertouched feat on an enemy to confer Vulnerable 5 Cold on them, any they have Cold Resistance 20, so they gain Cold Resistance 15 or Vulnerable 5 Cold? Essentially, does Vulnerable 5 = -5 Resist?

Does it work on things with immunities in either case?

KillianHawkeye
2009-03-11, 09:16 PM
A 309

Yes, vulnerability and resistance cancel each other out on a 1-to-1 basis. So adding Vulnerable 5 Cold + Resist 20 Cold = Resist (20 - 5) Cold.

NPCMook
2009-03-15, 06:39 AM
Q 309

If I use the Wintertouched feat on an enemy to confer Vulnerable 5 Cold on them, any they have Cold Resistance 20, so they gain Cold Resistance 15 or Vulnerable 5 Cold? Essentially, does Vulnerable 5 = -5 Resist?

Does it work on things with immunities in either case?

C 309
Wintertouched does not grant Vulnerability, it grants Combat advantage against enemies Vulnerable to Cold. I think you are referring to Lasting Frost

Q 310
Wizard's can use a Staff as an Implement, and that can act as a Quarterstaff if needs be, but can a Quarterstaff act as an implement? Magical or not.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-03-15, 03:22 PM
A 310 Yes you can, however you would not get to add your proficiency bonus with the quarterstaff nor the magical enhancement bonus from it either, unless the text states that you can in the magical properties of the quarterstaff. It would essentially allow you to channel your attacks, but would give you no bonuses as if it were a mundane staff implement.

Things such as the Pact Blade and the Holy Avenger show specific precedence for needing to state that a weapon may apply its enhancement bonus when being used as an implement. There are no quarterstaves listed in the weapon section that list this, to my knowledge.

Narmoth
2009-03-16, 04:42 AM
Q 311
Where do I find vampire template?
I've also seen a vampire class template, where you gain more vampire traits as you increase in lvl. Anyone know where I can find it?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-03-16, 12:57 PM
A 311 If you are looking to make a PC into a vampire, you are probably looking for the dhampyr article in Dragon 371, which can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090112). You need a DDI account to view it, though.

Dentarthur
2009-03-17, 03:15 PM
Q 312

PHB2 question here. How does the sorcerer's Dragon Power / Wild Power class feature interact with attacks that deal damage on a miss? I'll pose two examples:

Rinoa gets +3 damage due to her Wild Power class feature. She uses a daily power that deals 3d10 plus Cha modifier damage on a hit, or 1d10 damage (no modifier) on a miss. Does she add 3 to the damage roll if she misses?

Smaug Jr. gets +5 damage due to his Dragon Power class feature. He uses a daily power that deals 3d8 plus Cha modifier damage on a hit, or half damage on a miss. Does he add 5 to the original roll then halve the total?

Graymayre
2009-03-17, 04:01 PM
Q 313 (3.5):
Where can I find the Multigrab and Greater Multigrab feats?

EDIT: and improved grab, I read that the bear totem barbarian variant gets it, but that said improved grapple

Grynning
2009-03-18, 08:08 PM
A 312:

It depends. The class feature states you get the bonus on "the damage rolls of arcane powers." So, any time you make a damage roll from a power, you get the bonus.

If you go to page 218 in the PHB II, there is some more info on power descriptions. Under the "Miss" entry, it states "'Half damage' in this entry refers to rolled damage. Roll the damage specified in the 'Hit' entry and and deal half of that damage to each target you miss."

So, for your examples, in the first one, on a Miss Rinoa would do 1d10 and receive her +3 dex bonus. In the second, Smaug Jr would roll the total damage (with the bonus) then half it for targets he missed.

A 313:

This sounds like a 3rd ed. question, and it's not really a Q&A RAW question. You should probably search the forums for threads on grappling, or make a new thread.

Graymayre
2009-03-18, 08:14 PM
:smallfrown:
A 313:

This sounds like a 3rd ed. question, and it's not really a Q&A RAW question. You should probably search the forums for threads on grappling, or make a new thread.

crap, thanks my bad. I didn't see the little 4e sticker. :smallfrown:

Narmoth
2009-03-20, 01:50 PM
A 311 If you are looking to make a PC into a vampire, you are probably looking for the dhampyr article in Dragon 371, which can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090112). You need a DDI account to view it, though.

Found it, and it's for free! (legaly, on WotC's site): vampire template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a)

Douglas
2009-03-20, 01:59 PM
Found it, and it's for free! (legaly, on WotC's site): vampire template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a)
I was about to say "wrong edition" when I noticed you're the one who posted that question. So, "wrong thread". This thread is specifically for 4e.

Narmoth
2009-03-20, 02:21 PM
I was about to say "wrong edition" when I noticed you're the one who posted that question. So, "wrong thread". This thread is specifically for 4e.

No, you're right. It's wrong edition! How could I not notice that?

Q314
Could I use the first lvl of the vampire template in my last post in 4ed as well?
(I'm not planning on taking further lvls on it)

Ceaon
2009-03-21, 04:09 AM
A314 No, you can not use any 3.x templates for 4E characters, for several reasons (one of them being: they're not the same game). For the time being, becoming a vampire is material for homebrewers.

loopy
2009-03-24, 09:27 PM
Q315

If I was using a greataxe and rolled a crit with a basic attack, would my level 1 fighter deal:

12 + strength + 12 (for bonus [1W])

OR

12 + strength + [1W]

Thanks to the High Crit property?

I'm not entirely clear, I think its the latter, but I thought I'd check for confirmation.

Mando Knight
2009-03-24, 10:11 PM
A 315 The second. (12 + Str + 1[W])
High Crit is bonus damage dealt on a critical only, and thus is not maximized with the rest of the [W] dice. Neither is a magic weapon's critical damage bonus maximized on a crit.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-03-25, 12:29 AM
Q304
Is there any rule that specifies that bonuses from the same source do not stack in this edition?
(Note: I'm already aware that the same type doesn't stack, but I can't find anything for the same source)

A 304 addendum It seems that WotC does not allow the Expertise feats to stack. I updated my Character Builder today and rolled up a character wielding a longspear (polearm, spear) and took Weapon Expertise(Polearm) and Weapon Expertise(Spear). Here is what my stat block says:

Breakdown of your Attack Bonus:
+5 Wisdom Modifier
+5 half your level
+2 proficiency bonus
+1 bonus - Weapon Expertise (Polearm)
+1 bonus - Weapon Expertise (Spear) [Doesn't Stack]
This is likely to be eratta'd since it isn't really made clear in the PHBII.

Gralamin
2009-03-25, 12:59 AM
Q 316
Suppose you are a level 1 invoker with 20 Wisdom, Implement Expertise (Staff) and a staff of ruin +1. What bonuses apply to Attack and Damage modifiers of summoned creatures?

Attacks and Checks: If a summoning power
allows the summoned creature to attack, you make
an attack through the creature, as specified in the
power description
Would seem to Indicate all (so +7 to Attack, +7 damage).

Building this in the character builder however, gives

Wisdom vs Reflex; 1d8+Wisdom Modifier (+5)

And then no note of the implements effect, or what the attack bonus should be.

So which source is right? (And by extension, should I report this as a bug?)

Mauril Everleaf
2009-03-25, 01:22 AM
A 316 It would be the former. The latter is not an error so much as it is an omission. They left off the stat block, which they seem to have done for all the summoning powers I have seen. You may drop WotC a line, but this seems to not be an error, per se.

cupkeyk
2009-03-25, 04:23 AM
Q317

Is sustaining a power until the end od the encounter limited to powers with an entry "Sustain (action): You can sustain the power until the end of the of the encounter" (others only lasting until the end of the players next turn and they can no longer spend any further actions to extend it) or is this applicable to all powers as implied by the durations entry of power description(page 274 or so of PH) ?

Dentarthur
2009-03-25, 08:22 AM
A316
Implement Expertise is a bonus to attack rolls; the enhancement and Wis bonuses apply to both attack and damage. So you'd have +7 attack and +6 damage.

Not sure about reporting a bug; maybe you missed the part in the Character Builder where you specify a magic weapon/implement to use with your attacks?

A317
You can't sustain any power that doesn't specifically say you can. The Durations entry on page 278 states "Many powers ... are instantaneous" and have no lasting effect.

TrashCat
2009-03-25, 12:02 PM
Q318

How does damage resistance work when there is ongoing damage? For instance, if a character has resist 5 fire damage and comes under an effect that normally deals 5 ongoing fire damage per round, does the resistance cancel the effect altogether? Or do you roll saving throws as usual and only subtract the first 5?

Basically, does damage resistance work per attack, or per round?

TrashCat
2009-03-25, 03:04 PM
Q319
What are the mechanics involved in chasing somebody down? It doesn't seem to be in the PHBs, and I don't have any of the other books. From observation, it seems to be based on who has the higher movement speed, with opposed Athletics checks if it's tied (to determine how many feet you gain on them).

Q320
If you have the Fast Runner feat (+2 to speed when you charge or run), how does this affect the chase?

RTGoodman
2009-03-25, 05:59 PM
A 319

If the chase is between an NPC and a PC (or the party of PCs), I'd say it should be run as a Skill Challenge as per the DMG and DMG Errata. In fact, a chase through a city is one of the skill challenge examples.

To simplify it, you could just make it a single Athletics check for the PC (using the Moderate difficulty for the level or the Hard difficulty if it's a small or quick opponent). Otherwise, I suppose you could use opposed Athletic and/or Endurance checks.

If it's between two PCs, then it'd likely just come to whoever moves fastest and has Utility powers that could help them out.

cupkeyk
2009-03-25, 11:56 PM
A316
A317
You can't sustain any power that doesn't specifically say you can. The Durations entry on page 278 states "Many powers ... are instantaneous" and have no lasting effect.

i am sorry, but that doesn't answer my question. I am explicitly asking about powers that have sustain (action) entries. 278 impplies that all powers with this entry can be sustained until the end of the encounter while some powers have (scenario 1) "sustain (action): you can sustain this power until the end of the encounter;" while some others have (scenario 2)"sustain (action): the (effect, eg. zone) persists" or (scenario 3) "sustain (action): the (effect) persists until the end of next turn."

Sorry if i was unclear with my question, but my real question should be: is sustaining an power applicable for scenario 1, not for scenario 2 and 3, or for all three scenarios as implied by page 278 of PH.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-03-26, 01:11 AM
A 317 You can sustain all powers with a "sustain" section until the end of an encounter, unless their "sustain" section says otherwise. If it says "sustain [action]:you can sustain this power until the end of the encounter" it simply requires the use of [action] one time to have the effect remain the entire encounter. If it says "sustain [action]: the [effect] persists", you must use [action] every turn to sustain it for the entire encounter. As soon as you do not sustain, the [effect] ends and can no longer be sustained. If it says "sustain [action]: the [effect] persists until the end of your next turn", you can use [action] to have the effect stick around until the end of your next turn, and then it is over.

I hope that was what you were looking for.

[Edited to correct misinformation]

mrmaxmrmax
2009-03-27, 10:11 PM
Q 321

Healer's Lore [PHB 61] is a Cleric class feature that allows you to add your wisdom modifier to hit points gained when you use a "cleric" power with the healing keyword. What is a Cleric power? All of my abilities are called prayers.

To be frank, I want to know if my paragon path powers are similarly boosted by Healer's Lore.

Q 322

When using Consecrated Ground [PHB 65], do I have to remain in the zone at all times?

Maxwell.

RTGoodman
2009-03-27, 10:23 PM
A 321

"Cleric powers" are powers you gain from the Cleric class, and that say "Cleric Attack" or "Cleric Utility" in their little block. It doesn't apply to PP powers or anything else, just your normal spells.

A 322

The zone starts out as a Close Burst 1, so it starts out originating from your square. As per the description, you can move it 3 squares as a Move Action, and you don't have to remain within the zone after you move it.

TrashCat
2009-03-28, 08:20 PM
Q318

How does damage resistance work when there is ongoing damage? For instance, if a character has resist 5 fire damage and comes under an effect that normally deals 5 ongoing fire damage per round, does the resistance cancel the effect altogether? Or do you roll saving throws as usual and only subtract the first 5?

Basically, does damage resistance work per attack, or per round?

Just reposting, since nobody has answered my question. Probably because my next question bumped the thread to an extra page, so nobody saw it.

mrmaxmrmax
2009-03-28, 10:18 PM
A 318

Resistance is per attack. If you (with your resist fire 5) were taking ongoing 5 fire damage and a monster breath fire at you for eight points of fire damage, in all, you are down three hit points total.

C 322

If a power allows you to move the zone, one square the zone covers must remain in the power's range. If you move far enough away from a zone that it is no longer in range, its effects end immediately [PHB 59].

My reading of this is that if I leave my own consecrated ground, my zone is kaput. I was hoping to get some outside advice on this one.

Maxwell.

TrashCat
2009-03-29, 02:31 AM
A 318

If you (with your resist fire 5) were taking ongoing 5 fire damage and a monster breath fire at you for eight points of fire damage, in all, you are down three hit points total.

Maxwell.

Ok, so from your example, it sounds like resist 5 fire damage DOES completely cancel ongoing 5 fire damage. As in, I don't even have to bother rolling saving throws if all an attack does is deal 5 ongoing damage or less per round. Which, if resistance works per attack, seems to imply that each application of ongoing damage can be treated as a separate "attack." Is this correct?

Maybe I should use another example to make sure I understand your answer correctly. Say I am attacked by a flaming sword that only deals fire damage. The attack hits for 9 fire damage + 7 ongoing fire damage. With resist 5 fire, this is reduced to 4 fire damage + 2. Correct?

KillianHawkeye
2009-03-29, 04:15 AM
Ok, so from your example, it sounds like resist 5 fire damage DOES completely cancel ongoing 5 fire damage. As in, I don't even have to bother rolling saving throws if all an attack does is deal 5 ongoing damage or less per round. Which, if resistance works per attack, seems to imply that each application of ongoing damage can be treated as a separate "attack." Is this correct?

Maybe I should use another example to make sure I understand your answer correctly. Say I am attacked by a flaming sword that only deals fire damage. The attack hits for 9 fire damage + 7 ongoing fire damage. With resist 5 fire, this is reduced to 4 fire damage + 2. Correct?

That's correct, although you should still keep track of whether or not you've made your saving throw because somebody could hit you with something that lowers your fire resistance (or gives you vulnerability to fire).

cupkeyk
2009-03-29, 02:27 PM
A 317 You can sustain all powers with a "sustain" section until the end of an encounter, unless their "sustain" section says otherwise. If it says "sustain [action]:you can sustain this power until the end of the encounter" it simply requires the use of [action] one time to have the effect remain the entire encounter. If it says "sustain [action]: the [effect] persists", you must use [action] every turn to sustain it for the entire encounter. As soon as you do not sustain, the [effect] ends and can no longer be sustained. If it says "sustain [action]: the [effect] persists until the end of your next turn", you can use [action] to have the effect stick around until the end of your next turn, and then it is over.

I hope that was what you were looking for.

[Edited to correct misinformation]

Aww, I liked your first answer before the edit. Thanks for both answers, even if the second one is disappointing, the are what I was looking for.

Q323

Can an Infernal Pact Warlock carry a bloodclaw dagger to hurt himself as a free action (at will) to trigger Hellish Rebuke? Must he make a melee attack with the dagger after triggering the at-will power? Or can he make any melee attack (like Eldritch Blast with Reaper's touch from d372)? Or can he perform a different action, like a ranged or close spell? Will he still benefit from the additional damage from the Bloodclaw weapon's power even if he is not wielding it?

HMS Invincible
2009-03-30, 09:59 PM
Q 324. A man in combat jumps off a bridge, and the PC jumps after him to grab him while throwing a grappling hook to stop his fall. How would I rule this? An athletic check followed by a grapple check? How would he catch up to the guy who fell? How many actions is this? How would you rule this? Or how would you roleplay this? By combat, I mean it is now his turn, he used a move action to jump and now its the PC's turn.

RTGoodman
2009-03-30, 11:24 PM
A 324

It's really up to how easy or difficult you want to make the stunt. If you want it easy, just make it a single Moderate or Hard-level difficulty skill check (Acrobatics or Athletics). For a harder one, I'd suggest a series of skill checks: Acrobatics, since it's essentially an Acrobatic Stunt like the one described in the PHB, plus probably an Athletics check or two for holding onto the rope once you reach the end and for holding onto the guy. You could maybe use a Str or Reflex attack vs. the target's Reflex to see if they dodge, but that's totally optional.

Basically, there's no real RAW answer, but copious use of DMG 42 and any relevant errata is all you need.

TrashCat
2009-03-31, 08:54 PM
Q 325

What would it cost to hire somebody else to cast a ritual that they already have mastered? Clearly, you don't get to keep the ritual book afterwards, so would you just pay the component cost rather than the regular market price?

Anonomuss
2009-04-01, 08:48 AM
Q 326

How does the 'Highborn Drow' feat (From Dragon 367) interact with the 'Master of Fire and Shadow' feat from the Forgotten Realms supplement?
Does this allow you to use Darkfire, Cloud of Darkness and Web of Darkness each once per encounter?
Or do you give up the use of either of your Darkfire or Cloud of Darkness Powers to use Web of Darkness?

cupkeyk
2009-04-01, 01:33 PM
A 325

It costs the market price of the ritual plus the component cost of the ritual; which makes it equal to the price of purchasing the scroll and casting it yourself. The only reason you would prefer paying for someone else to cast it for you would be if your skill modifiers cannot competitively compare to those of person you are paying.

TrashCat
2009-04-01, 09:06 PM
A 325

It costs the market price of the ritual plus the component cost of the ritual; which makes it equal to the price of purchasing the scroll and casting it yourself. The only reason you would prefer paying for someone else to cast it for you would be if your skill modifiers cannot competitively compare to those of person you are paying.

Thanks for your answer, but I'm assuming that the other person is casting from a book, not a scroll. If I were buying a book myself, it would cost the market price. But I'm not... the other person already has a book. I pay them, they cast the ritual, and at the end, they still have the book. There is no transfer of ownership. What then?

My thought would be that you would just pay for the components, but I'm not sure if it's addressed in RAW. Maybe I will make a separate thread to ask this question...

Mauril Everleaf
2009-04-01, 09:17 PM
TrashCat, since what you are essentially doing is casting from a one time use source for a transfer of cash, it would be reasonably be treated as casting from a scroll. I know that technically it is not, but 4e is kind of about making things pretty equal regardless of ingenuity. Take the backgrounds that allow you to craft your own weapons, armor or implements (Scales of War Backgrounds). They specifically say that there is no monetary advantage to crafting them yourself, that they cost the same as if buying them (for book price) from a merchant.

So, by RAW, and likely WotC's RAI, you would pay scroll and component costs. Any specific DM may rule differently (I probably would), but that is houseruling, and is outside the scope of this thread.

TrashCat
2009-04-01, 09:28 PM
TrashCat, since what you are essentially doing is casting from a one time use source for a transfer of cash, it would be reasonably be treated as casting from a scroll.

I thought books were infinite-use, provided you supply the components each time? :smallconfused:

Sorry, I know I'm not supposed to be carrying on discussions in here. Last time, I promise.

HMS Invincible
2009-04-03, 02:48 AM
Q327. It says in the PHB that a double move has to be the same action such as a shift and shift, or a run and run. Does this mean that you cannot shift and walk, or run and then shift or any other combination of move actions?

mrmaxmrmax
2009-04-03, 05:16 AM
A 327

You have read the page a little incorrectly.

PHB 284 says if you choose two of the same move, it is called a double move. Those have special rules that are detailed on the page (most important for dwarfs, I think, because then your total move is ten squares. That way you can move five difficult terrain squares instead of moving once through 4 and stopping and then once again through four more and stopping again).

If you choose to shift and then walk, it does not follow double move rules.

Maxwell.

Magentawolf
2009-04-03, 06:04 PM
Q328 - This was covered earlier, partially, but I'd like to get a little more clarification about powers that can be used as basic attacks.

For example, my sorcerer has the Acid Orb at-will power that can be used as a Ranged Basic Attack -as is, it is Charisma vs Reflex, range 20.

If I use it as a RBA, does it then become Dex vs AC, Dex vs Reflex, or stay completely the same? If used as a RBA, do I still get my Implement bonus with the attack?

Can I choose to use the power as a RBA, or does it require something like a Warlord's effect in order for me to use it in this fashion?

A267
If you look somewhere in the combat section of the PHB you will find two at-will powers that everyone has regardless of class called Melee Basic Attack and Ranged Basic Attack (I might have the word order wrong, working from memory here). The melee one is just a plain STR vs AC for [W]+STR damage, and ranged is DEX vs AC for [W]+DEX damage.

That feature of Eldritch Blast means that anything that affects or uses the ranged basic attack power also works with Eldritch Blast. For example, there is an item (can't remember the name offhand) that gives extra damage with ranged basic attacks. Eldritch Blast benefits from this item.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-04-03, 07:00 PM
A 328 It would stay completely the same. "Can be used as a ranged basic attack" means "when something allows you to use a ranged basic attack, you may use this power". This is similar to when a power says "May be used on a charge in place of a melee basic attack". Some are Str vs Fort (for example), and when charging, they remain Str vs Fort. Same here. If you are granted a ranged basic attack, and use Acid Orb, it would be a Cha vs Ref attack.

KillianHawkeye
2009-04-03, 07:23 PM
A 328 Addition

You do not have to "choose" to use the power as a Basic Attack. It just IS a basic attack for you. It is an alternative Basic Attack. Technically, any time you use the power, you are making a Ranged Basic Attack.

This essentially creates a slight difference between Basic Attacks and Basic Attack Powers as more and more powers are added to the category of Basic Attacks. You only use the rules for the Melee Basic Attack and Ranged Basic Attack powers when making a Basic Attack with a (melee or ranged) weapon. In all cases, you use the rules of whichever power unchanged when you make the attack.

TedEBearNC
2009-04-04, 03:52 PM
Q329

The description for Wild Shape says:
"While you are in beast form, you can't use attack, utility or feat powers that lack the beast form keyword..."

What are feat powers exactly? And what about racial powers? Can you use those or are they considered 'feat' powers? They don't have 'feat' listed on them nor attack or utility for that matter.

Grynning
2009-04-04, 04:10 PM
A 239

Feat powers are just powers that you gain from a feat, as opposed to those from class, paragon path, or items. There aren't that many of them, the only ones I can think of at the moment are the weapon feats from Dragon, and the extra Channel Divinity feats. They call them feat powers since they are not gained as part of your normal encounter attack/daily attack/utility progression, so those labels might be confusing.

The point of the rules text is that if a Power does not have the beast form keyword, you cannot use it in beast form. As far as Racial powers go, that situation is nebulous, and I'm AFB at the moment. I would guess that you can use racial powers, since Elf druids would be pretty upset if they couldn't use Elven Accuracy with their primary attack mode. However, it would be a bit odd for say, Bladelings to use their power in shapeshift form, so I dunno. One for the Wizards FAQ.

Mando Knight
2009-04-04, 04:44 PM
A 239, continued
You can use most racial powers, but some, like Dragon Breath and the power granted by the Half-Elf's Dilettante, are attack powers, and thus can't be used while Wild Shaped.

TedEBearNC
2009-04-04, 05:21 PM
re: A 329

Thanks.

Looking at making a Doppleganger Rogue with Druid MC for an all around shape shifter type character. With the Quick Wild Shape feat he could Wild Shape as a free action, move and/or attack then Change Shape back to humanoid as a minor action as it says "change your physical form." Would lose the shift 1 doing that but might be good for setting up combat advantage for sneak attack the following round. Not the most optimal build I'm sure but might be fun. :smallbiggrin:

Lord_Xaedien
2009-04-09, 10:11 AM
Q 330:Can second wind be used while unconscious? I ask this in reference to one player using his healing skill on the unconscious player.

Mando Knight
2009-04-09, 10:20 AM
Q 330:Can second wind be used while unconscious? I ask this in reference to one player using his healing skill on the unconscious player.
A 330:
No, it cannot. When you're unconscious, you can't take any actions, and Second Wind is a Standard Action.

Douglas
2009-04-09, 10:34 AM
A330 correction

The Heal skill specifically states that when used for Second Wind the character it is used on does not need to spend an action, thus the inability to take actions while unconscious is not a problem. I can't find anything else that would prevent this, so yes, I think this use of the Heal skill is valid - provided the unconscious character has not already used Second Wind in the same encounter.

Lord_Xaedien
2009-04-09, 10:35 AM
Incorrect. The heal skill allows the player to take a second wind without using an action. Pg 185 of the PHB.

Mando Knight
2009-04-09, 10:47 AM
Ah, yes. I missed the using-Heal-Skill part. :smallredface:
Yes, if you use the Heal Skill, you can grant a use of Second Wind to an unconscious ally. Normally, however, said ally will not be able to use a Second Wind by himself.

Faleldir
2009-04-13, 09:07 PM
Never mind, wrong thread.

tcrudisi
2009-04-17, 02:43 PM
Q 331
The Fighter's Combat Challenge gives the following: Every time you attack an enemy, whether the attack hits or misses, you can choose to mark that target. My question deals with Cleave: ... and an enemy adjacent to you takes damage equal to your Str. mod.

Am I correct in assuming that you can only mark the initial target and not the person that you cleave into? Or are you allowed to mark both?

Doug Lampert
2009-04-17, 02:51 PM
Q 331
The Fighter's Combat Challenge gives the following: Every time you attack an enemy, whether the attack hits or misses, you can choose to mark that target. My question deals with Cleave: ... and an enemy adjacent to you takes damage equal to your Str. mod.

Am I correct in assuming that you can only mark the initial target and not the person that you cleave into? Or are you allowed to mark both?

A 331 You have not attacked the cleave target, you just damaged it, so you are correct, it is not marked.

tcrudisi
2009-04-17, 07:45 PM
Q 332
The Bugbear gets Oversized as a racial benefit. If said Bugbear is a Rogue, can he use a Shortsword as a Dagger, and thereby get the +1 for using a dagger? (+4 / 1d6) Or would a Bugbear's daggers just be bigger and therefore shortswords for everyone else? (still +4 / 1d6) Or is he just stuck with 1d4 damage? (+4 / 1d4)

Dentarthur
2009-04-18, 11:46 AM
A 332
Plenty of people consider a Large dagger and a Medium short sword to be the same thing, but RAW does not. A short sword of any size doesn't qualify for the bonus from the Rogue class feature. However, you could wield a Large dagger, which deals 1d6 damage, and get your +1 with it.

(You could also use a Large short sword for +3 prof and 1d8 damage, were you inclined.)

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-04-26, 06:32 PM
Q 333

When multiclassing into Ranger (with multiclass feat Warrior of the Wild), you get the following benefit: "Once per encounter, you can use the ranger’s Hunter’s Quarry class feature."

Hunter's Quarry has two distinctly different sections, both "once per round": "once per round, you can designate the closest enemy as quarry, the quarry remaining one until the end of the encounter/death of the quarry" and "once per round, you deal extra damage to the quarry".

My question: Would a multiclass ranger only be able to designate once quarry per encounter, or would he be only allowed the extra damage once per encounter?

(Sorry if this has been asked before. A search for multiclass found no matches)

Grey Wolf

Mauril Everleaf
2009-04-26, 07:03 PM
A 333 If you read the full text of the feat, or at least as it is written in the Compendium (where I am looking at it), the quarry remains your quarry until the end of your next turn. This would mean that you spend a minor action to designate a target as your quarry and have this round (if you are smart and designate your quarry before attacking) and the next to apply the extra damage. Since Sneak Attack (from Sneak of Shadows, for example) does not require an action to activate, merely combat advantage, this is relatively balanced.

RTGoodman
2009-04-26, 07:56 PM
A 333 Continued

The version of Warrior of the Wild in the Compendium is correct, and includes errata that the version in the actual PHB doesn't have. From the errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/updates):

Warrior of the Wild [Addition]
Player’s Handbook, page 208
Add the following sentence to the end of the second paragraph of the benefit section: "The target you designate as your quarry remains your quarry until the end of your next turn."

Glyphic
2009-04-26, 09:37 PM
Q334

Does using a move action to stand from Prone result in an OA?

RTGoodman
2009-04-26, 09:41 PM
A 334

No, standing up from prone doesn't provoke OAs. See PHB 292 in the "Stand Up" section for more info.

Dristin
2009-04-27, 03:20 PM
Q 335 I am planning on running a skill challenge during a combat encounter to disarm a trap. When the characters find the way to disarm the trap does every thievery check they make use a standard action? So if they need 4 successes it would take one character a minimum of 4 rds (not using a action point) to disarm the trap?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-04-27, 04:01 PM
A 335 Yes, it would take one standard action per use of the skill. This is why Skill Challenges are listed as separate encounters. Running a skill challenge during a combat encounter is reasonable, just adjust the encounter accordingly. Or split the two encounters.

DarknessLord
2009-04-28, 02:06 PM
Q. 336
How does falling damage work with a mounted character, does both the character and the mount take the same falling damage, roll separately, or does only one of them take it?

Mando Knight
2009-04-28, 02:58 PM
A 336
The DMG does not directly discuss this event. However, since both the mount and rider are falling approximately the same distance, I would roll the damage one time and apply it to both creatures, just like an area attack.

Hzurr
2009-05-01, 01:55 PM
Q337
A question one of my player's had:

In Arcane power, there's a feat called "Arcane Fire"

Prerequisite: Int 13, any arcane class
Benefit: When you hit a target with an arcane fire power, that target gains vulnerable 5 cold against the first arcane attack power you use against it before the end of your next turn

If a power has both the fire keyword and the cold keyword does this feat apply immediately to such a power? E.g. Frostburn, a 13th level wizard power that has both the fire and cold keywords. If one had the Arcane Fire feat and used Frostburn, would the target of the attack take 5 extra cold damage? Or would the wizard have to attack the next round with cold power to benefit from Arcane Fire?

Douglas
2009-05-01, 02:23 PM
A337

You have to use another attack to gain the benefit. The vulnerability only applies for "the first" (singular) arcane attack power you use within the time limit. Since the attack that triggers it always satisfies the requirements other than time for the attack that benefits, if it were possible for the triggering attack to gain the benefit then the triggering attack would always gain (and use up) the benefit and the "before the end of your next turn" wording would be meaningless.

Asbestos
2009-05-01, 07:32 PM
Q338
Does my Tiefling Wizard's summoned Fire Warrior (level 1 daily in Arcane Power) gain a bonus to attack from the Hellfire Blood feat?

KillianHawkeye
2009-05-01, 07:57 PM
A337

You have to use another attack to gain the benefit. The vulnerability only applies for "the first" (singular) arcane attack power you use within the time limit. Since the attack that triggers it always satisfies the requirements other than time for the attack that benefits, if it were possible for the triggering attack to gain the benefit then the triggering attack would always gain (and use up) the benefit and the "before the end of your next turn" wording would be meaningless.

Not every fire spell also has the cold keyword, douglas.

Personally, I agree that it only applies to following attacks, since I imagine it would be as if it added the line "and the target gains vulnerable 5 cold" under the power's Hit line. I.E. "Hit: the target takes XdY fire damage and gains vulnerable 5 cold against your next arcane attack before the end of your next turn." That's how I read it, at least.

Douglas
2009-05-01, 08:52 PM
Not every fire spell also has the cold keyword, douglas.
Irrelevant. The vulnerability to cold applies to the "next arcane attack spell", not the "next arcane attack spell with the cold keyword". If you use a fire spell to trigger the feat, then next round use Magic Missile, spend an action point, and use a cold spell - in that order - the benefit applies to the Magic Missile even though it has no effect.

The feat is triggered by a hit (which only attack powers can get) with an arcane fire power, and applies to an arcane attack power. All arcane fire attack powers are arcane attack powers, so all powers that could trigger the feat can also qualify for the benefit. Most of them just aren't actually improved by it.

Hzurr
2009-05-02, 12:27 PM
A388

No, it doesn't get the bonus. The Hellfire Blood feat specifically says that you get the bonus, and the text on summon creatures states that they're to be treated as an ally to you and your companions. So the creature doesn't get any of your feat bonuses that wouldn't also apply to the other members of your group (like Group Insight, for example).

flowmage
2009-05-02, 04:33 PM
Q389:
Does a sorcerer with Dual Implement Spellcaster (AP125) and a Paired Dagger (AV74) get to apply the enhancement bonus from the 'second' implement to damage on his powers?

It seems to me to be the same tradeoff that melee characters make - save some money on a second weapon for your dual-wield uses, in exchange for it not being a great weapon. However, it would come up more often for the sorcerer than for a standard TWF character.

HMS Invincible
2009-05-02, 05:22 PM
Q.390 If you are dazed, can you use an action point to take another action?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-05-03, 11:27 AM
Q. 391 I need help determining the order in which several inmediate effects resolve in the following situation:

A feytouched Warlock teleports, causing damage (Intelligence modifier) to all adjacent enemies, at least one of which is marked and is killed due to the damage (for example, because it is a minion). The warlock has the Relentless Curse feat.

The effects are:
a) The teleport that initiates the scenario
b) The relentless curse feat allows as a free action to curse an enemy due to the death of a cursed enemy.
c) Death of a marked enemy allows Feytouched to teleport as a free action

I would assume first (a), then (b) and (c) in any order, but that allows for a clear exploit where the warlock teleports from one minion to the next, cursing it & teleporting away, which kills it, arriving to the next minion, cursing it (because the previous minion died) & teleporting (because the previous minion died), killing the new minion, etc.

Grey Wolf

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-05-03, 11:33 AM
A. 390

Yes, you can, since using an action point is a free action, and dazed allows free actions.

flowmage
2009-05-03, 04:35 PM
A. 391

a) The teleport that initiates the scenario
b) The relentless curse feat allows as a free action to curse an enemy due to the death of a cursed enemy.
c) Death of a marked enemy allows Feytouched to teleport as a free action

b) and c) both are phrased as follows: When ___, you can ___. This leads me to think, as you do, that they can occur in any order, and that the player can choose the order.

I find nothing about teleportation, free actions, or the abilities involved to contradict your logic (even in the errata), so I believe this works by RAW. Well played.

The only mitigating factor for this is on PH 267, "The DM can restrict the number of free actions in a turn."

DabblerWizard
2009-05-06, 08:11 PM
Q. 392

Background: Concerning the Druid Wild Shape feature, the text states that "the beast form... normally doesn’t change your game statistics or movement modes". I take this line to mean: if your DM says you can fly / climb walls, you can, but a DM friend, who was leading an adventure at the time, suggested that this wasn't the case.

My question: Is it logical to conclude that the PHB 2 text is indirectly suggesting that the DM can decide to let a druid fly if they want the player to be able to, as opposed to suggesting that the druid can never actually gain flight, through the wild shape power?

erikun
2009-05-06, 10:34 PM
A. 392

All D&D books should imply that you can do whatever a DM allows you to do. :smallwink: That said, the phrase "normally doesn’t change your game statistics or movement modes" means that Wild Shape is not intended (does not by RAW) give you flight/climbing/swimming, or any other movement mode that your character doesn't normally possess.

Doug Lampert
2009-05-07, 09:42 AM
A. 392
IIRC many of the Druid Daily powers change things about your wild-shape. And I'll be spectacularly unsurprised if there are eventually feats and paragon paths that grant various bonuses when wild-shaped.

I'd assume that sort of thing is what the rules intended exception to "normally" is rather than an actual invitation to GMs to allow extra movement modes or +27 to attack or 1000 extra HP or whatever other special ability you think is logical for a particular shape.

mathewt
2009-05-07, 11:51 AM
A. 392

All D&D books should imply that you can do whatever a DM allows you to do. :smallwink: That said, the phrase "normally doesn’t change your game statistics or movement modes" means that Wild Shape is not intended (does not by RAW) give you flight/climbing/swimming, or any other movement mode that your character doesn't normally possess.

And even further, that line is referring to the fact that there are powers (and could be paragon paths) which modify the wildshape to allow it to change game statistics or movement modes.

RTGoodman
2009-05-07, 06:41 PM
Q 393

A wyrmtouched amulet +6 says that, "if you are a dragonborn, you gain resist 20 to the same type of damage dealt by your dragon breath power. After you use your dragon breath power, the resistance increase to 40 until the end of the encounter."

How does this interact with the Adaptable Breath feat from Dragon Magazine, which lets you choose another damage type you can pick between when you use your breath. And what about Admixture Breath, where you do damage of two types at once?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-05-07, 07:12 PM
A 393 By RAW, you would get resistance 20 to any of the damage types you currently have. With Adaptable Breath, you would get to choose which you have and with Admixture Breath you would have resist 20 to all damage types you have.

I doubt this is RAI, but it is RAW. Personally, I would rule (as a DM) that the Dragon Breath damage type chosen at character creation is the damage type resisted by this amulet. If I was convinced by a player to allow Adaptable and Admixture to influence the damage type, they would split the resist 20 among the types (fire and cold would get Resist 10 Fire and Resist 10 Cold).

Kylarra
2009-05-08, 05:07 PM
Q. 394
(p 120 of PHB 2) Regarding the Shaman's Spirit Companion. The text says that it can be targetted by ranged and melee attacks. What are the stats for the spirit companion's defenses? Do you just use the shaman's?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-05-08, 05:17 PM
A 394 [Edited for correction] Page 220, under Conjuration: Your Defenses, "If a conjuration can be attacked or physically affected, it uses your defenses. Unless an attack specifically targets conjurations, only the attack's damage (not including ongoing damage) affects the conjuration."

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-05-08, 05:21 PM
A. 394

[removed because Mauril is right]

Totally Guy
2009-05-09, 03:27 PM
Q 395

Can a Bard with 2 multiclasses take the Novice Power feat for each of those multiclasses?

Anonomuss
2009-05-10, 04:01 AM
A. 395

Generall you can't take the same feat multiple times, and most of the time you wouldn't want to. A few feats, however, specifiy that you can take the feat multiple times.

The Novice muticlass feat does not say it can be taken multiple times therefore it cannot be taken multiple times. The Bard multiclass versatility says that only the class specific multiclass feats can be taken more than once. Therefore, unfortunately no.

RTGoodman
2009-05-10, 01:50 PM
A 395 Continued

Of course, unless both the Character Builder and I are mistaken, when you swap powers with your power swap feats (like Novice Power), you can choose any power from any class you've multiclassed into. So a Bard/Sorcerer/Cleric who took the power could swap a Bard power for either a Sorcerer OR Cleric power.

Totally Guy
2009-05-10, 05:15 PM
So a Bard/Sorcerer/Cleric who took the power could swap a Bard power for either a Sorcerer OR Cleric power.

Oh yeah, I get it.

But that poses another interesting question.

Q396

A Bard has multiclassed into Sorcerer with all the Power Swap feats and taken the Paragon Multiclass Sorcerer option. He then takes a basic Cleric Multiclass. When he levels up the Power Swap feats offer a free power swap benefit. Can this benefit be used to swap out the Sorcerer power for a Cleric one?

Lord_Xaedien
2009-05-12, 12:32 AM
Q 397- The sorcerer power lightning strike (pg 28 of Arcane Power) offers a damage bonus for storm sorcerers. If this bonus is applied to the secondary target, would it replace the original damage from the power or stack? if a lvl 1 character has a 16 dex, would they do 3 or 6 damage to the secondary target?

BlackSheep
2009-05-12, 08:14 AM
A 389
As long as the sorcerer has the weapon split and is wielding a dagger in each hand, he can apply the enhancement bonus of the off-hand dagger to the damage rolls of his arcane attacks.

A 396
The text under paragon multiclassing says:
If you have the Novice Power, Acolyte Power, and Adept Power feats for a class, you can choose to continue to gain powers from that class rather than take a paragon path.

It could be interpreted that having all three power swap feats apply to the same class is a prerequisite for the paragon multiclass benefits, and thus if you changed one of your power swap feats to a different class, you'd lose access to the paragon multiclass powers.

However, the text was written with the assumption that you could only take one class-specific multiclass feat. Since Bards can take multiple multiclass feats, it doesn't seem unreasonable that they should be able to choose their paragon multiclass powers from any of the classes to which they've multi'd, as long as they take all three power-swap feats. The text isn't clear on this point, but that would be my interpretation.

A 397

Storm Power says that you gain a bonus to damage rolls of arcane powers equal to your Dex mod. (with +2 increases at 11th and 21st level)

Ordinarily you would not be able to apply that bonus to the second creature, as the damage to that target is not rolled. However, the text of Lightning Strike specifies that you can apply the bonus to the damage taken by the second enemy. As it is a bonus, it gets added to the original damage. So a 16 Dex storm sorcerer at level 1 could deal 6 damage to the second creature.

HMS Invincible
2009-05-14, 11:35 AM
Q398. How much do the various implements weigh? Do orbs and staffs fall under quarterstaff weight? What about wands, rods, and tomes?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-05-14, 11:47 AM
A 398 According to the equipment table in the Character Builder, the weight of an orb and a rod are 2 pounds, a staff is 4 pounds and a tome and a wand are each 1 pound. Holy symbols and totems are each also 2 pounds. The various bardic instruments have weights of less than 4 pounds. Making any of these items magic should not significantly alter their weight. All of these items were listed under the "adventuring gear" heading of the item list.

HMS Invincible
2009-05-18, 02:48 AM
Q399 If I use this Ranger Power:
Weave through the Fray Ranger Utility 6
You dodge through the thick of the fight, denying your foes a
chance to pin you down in one spot.
Encounter ✦ Martial
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Trigger: An enemy moves adjacent to you
Effect: You can shift a number of squares equal to your Wisdom
modifier.

When a monster moves up to me, can it continue chasing after me if it still had movement left? Or does it have to spend a new movement to keep going?

Q.400 Can a fighter use a hand crossbow to get a long range mark?

JBento
2009-05-18, 05:49 AM
A399

The chase continues, without it needing to spend a new move action.

KillianHawkeye
2009-05-18, 06:52 AM
A400 Yes.

The Fighter marks any enemy he attacks regardless of range or weapon use. A Dragonborn Fighter can even use his racial breath weapon to mark multiple enemies. A Fighter multiclassed to Wizard can mark foes with magic missile.

TrashCat
2009-05-20, 01:09 AM
Q401: Page 280 in the PHB gives a long list of situations that grant an attacker combat advantage against a defender (e.g. If the defender is balancing, blinded, dazed, flanked, prone surprised, etc). Do bonuses to attack due to these situation stack? For instance, if the defender is both prone AND flanked, do you get +4 to attack?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-05-20, 01:59 AM
A401:

Bonuses of the same type do not stack. Thus, you only get the +2 from Combat Advantage once, regardless of how many situations grant it.

Grey Wolf

HMS Invincible
2009-05-21, 10:25 PM
Q402. If you use blinding barrage or some other multiattack with a thrown weapon, do you need a magical weapon for each target? I know a magic weapon comes back but when? Does this mean that attack rolls will differ as you throw your magic weapon and you use your normal daggers for other targets?

RTGoodman
2009-05-21, 10:51 PM
A 402

A magical thrown weapon comes back to you immediately, so you can make all of your attacks with the same one. If you don't have a magic weapon, though, you need a separate weapon for each target.

(I'm not at home, so I can't provide a page number, but I know that's right.)

TrashCat
2009-05-22, 02:35 AM
Q 403: Is there a limit to how many PCs can use their standard action to "Aid Another" for the same character in a given round? I.e. if you had a party of 6, could the first 5 PC's all use "aid another" and give their +2 bonuses to the 6th PC, for a combined bonus of +10 if all are successful?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-05-22, 06:07 AM
A. 403

PHB 179: Up to four allies can help you, for a maximum bonus of +8

Grey Wolf

mrmaxmrmax
2009-05-22, 01:32 PM
Correction to A 402

A magical thrown weapon comes back to you immediately

PH 232 says that the weapon returns after the attack is resolved. I would guess that means after damage is rolled, the weapon will come back.

Actually, PH 270 is much clearer: "you need one for each target"

Maxwell.

RTGoodman
2009-05-22, 03:09 PM
A 402 Continued

I don't think I was incorrect. The quote on pg. 232 is supposed to indicate that magical thrown return to you after the attack, so that you can make all of your thrown attacks with that one magical weapon. Specific rules (the one about magical weapons returning) always trump general rules (that you need more than one thrown weapon). The FAQ (http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1396) further clarifies this:

14. I am using a magical thrown weapon as part of an area of effect power. If I am attacking multiple enemies within that area, do I need multiple weapons, or will one suffice?

One is enough in this case. Magical thrown weapons return to you after each attack, so you’ll be able to use it against each enemy as part of using your power.

Non-magical weapons, of course, still follow the rule on pg. 270. A Rogue using blinding barrage without a magic dagger would need one non-magical one per target.

HMS Invincible
2009-05-23, 12:39 AM
Q403. Can a bag of holding hold any large objects as long as they weigh less than 200 lbs and 20 cubic feet? For example, a 10 foot pole or a body?

Q404. How does it interact with quick draw feat?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-05-23, 10:55 AM
A 403 By RAW, yes. As long as it is within the dimension and weight limits, it fits in the bag. Obviously, this is subject to DM fiat.

A 404 By RAW, you should be able to pull this item (assuming that you have the strength to haul it out) in the same action needed to use it. But, by RAW, there are no "uses" for a corpse or 200 pounds of nails unless you are trying to use them as improvised weapons or something. Potions, weapons, alchemical devices and such should all be able to be removed in their action. As always, subject to DM fiat.

HMS Invincible
2009-05-23, 10:46 PM
A 403 By RAW, yes. As long as it is within the dimension and weight limits, it fits in the bag. Obviously, this is subject to DM fiat.

A 404 By RAW, you should be able to pull this item (assuming that you have the strength to haul it out) in the same action needed to use it. But, by RAW, there are no "uses" for a corpse or 200 pounds of nails unless you are trying to use them as improvised weapons or something. Potions, weapons, alchemical devices and such should all be able to be removed in their action. As always, subject to DM fiat.

While everything is calculated by weight, how do I know the volume if you have several dozen items?

Q405. Do blasts and burst attacks get around cloak of distortion? eg, does fireball really take a -5 penalty?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-05-24, 11:41 AM
Q405. Do blasts and burst attacks get around cloak of distortion? eg, does fireball really take a -5 penalty?

A. 405

Cloack of Distortion only protects from ranged attacks. Neither blast nor burst are ranged attacks (they are area or close area), so no. You can check the type of attack in the same line as the action type.

Next time, include the book and page of the magic object.

Grey Wolf

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-05-26, 06:41 PM
While everything is calculated by weight, how do I know the volume if you have several dozen items?

A 403 I'd say, if you want a simple solution, go by weight. Then see if there's any single item (or item combo) that would stretch the limits of the bag too far. Like, if you have a few big items that, when combined, are more than 20 cubic feet, the whole deal doesn't fit.

Don't sweat it.

Magentawolf
2009-06-02, 12:13 PM
Q 404 (Question not found?)

I'll toss this out over here, too, just for fun -

Is a standard / enchanted (two-handed simple melee weapon) quarterstaff usable in place of an Implement staff for 'Implement' powers?

If so, would they still get the crit bonus on an Implement power?

Mando Knight
2009-06-02, 01:05 PM
A 404
By RAW, it is unclear. The converse is true, though, and also taking into consideration that any class using a weapon as an implement (Spiral Tower wizards, Sorcerers with daggers, Swordmages) lacks an implement enchantment for their implements, I'd allow it.

Magentawolf
2009-06-02, 03:43 PM
I don't have a problem with it, myself, I just wanted a RAW ruling if there was one.

A 404
By RAW, it is unclear. The converse is true, though, and also taking into consideration that any class using a weapon as an implement (Spiral Tower wizards, Sorcerers with daggers, Swordmages) lacks an implement enchantment for their implements, I'd allow it.

Grynning
2009-06-03, 11:40 PM
Q 405: Goliath Greatweapon Prowess - We noticed the character builder does not add the +2 bonus to damage if you are using a superior weapon, as it seems to interpret the feat as only adding to the damage with Martial and Simple two-handed weapons. Is this a bug in the character builder, or is that actually the way the feat works? It reads that you gain proficiency with Martial and Simple two-handers and get the +2 bonus "with such weapons." I always interpreted that as a bonus with all two-handers, and most guides and forum posts I read seem to as well, but as I said, the character builder disagrees.

RTGoodman
2009-06-03, 11:45 PM
A 405

Per the RAW, I think the damage bonus technically only applies to Simple and Martial two-handed weapons, and not to Superior two-handed weapons. I don't think it'd be unreasonable to allow it to apply to Superior weapons, but I don't think, as written, it does.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-04, 09:29 PM
Q 406 Does anyone have a spare second to answer a question, off forum, that related to stats/attributes :smallconfused:? Feel free to Email me, PM me, or IM me (AIM, or MSN). Might be a bitty 'nooby'. :smallbiggrin:.

HMS Invincible
2009-06-07, 03:16 AM
q. 407 Does shifting away from a fighter trigger an opportunity attack and thus stop you from shifting if it hits?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-06-07, 03:22 AM
q. 407 Does shifting away from a fighter trigger an opportunity attack and thus stop you from shifting if it hits?

A. 407

No, you are mixing two of the fighter's abilities.

In one hand, they have Combat Challenge:
[...]In addition, whenever a marked enemy that is adjacent to you shifts or makes an attack that does not include you, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt. (emphasis mine)

On the other, they have Combat Superiority:
[...]An enemy struck by your opportunity attack stops moving, if a move provoked the attack.[...] (emphasis mine)

Since Combat Challenge isn't an opportunity attack, it does not interrupt movement.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

DizzyD
2009-06-08, 11:24 AM
Q 408

As a Battlerager fighter does the battle rager temporary hit points stack with the invigorating if you got the invigorating first. I know that if you hit with a power that has the invigorating keyword it stacks but does it if the sequence is in the opposite direction.

LoopyZebra
2009-06-08, 12:12 PM
Q 409

What actions may a PC take while grabbing an enemy?

Mando Knight
2009-06-08, 03:11 PM
Q 408

As a Battlerager fighter does the battle rager temporary hit points stack with the invigorating if you got the invigorating first. I know that if you hit with a power that has the invigorating keyword it stacks but does it if the sequence is in the opposite direction.

A 408
It does not work in the opposite order. The temporary HP that are gained from a source other than a Battlerager's Invigorating powers do not stack with any other source of Temporary HP, and so you apply the higher of pre-existing temporary HP and incoming temporary HP. Invigorating Temporary HP cease to be Invigorating Temporary HP once they are applied to your existing temporary HP total.

Samb
2009-06-08, 03:21 PM
Q410

Would synsethete protect against color spray? And if not what would other than boosting will save?

Mr. Mud
2009-06-08, 07:11 PM
Q411 If I have only the three core books, and I'm just starting my long long career as a DM/Group Bookmaster, what would you all suggest getting? For items, I've read Adventure's Vault, and I guess thought and feedback on auxiliary books regarding gear, and magic gear, would be good... For more classes and races, I'm sort of lost... As for monsters, I know I can get Monster Manuals I-V... If I'm not mistaken?

Basically: If I want to have a little taste of everything - and not one specific book on the creatures and treasure of the Underdark or the Abyss - where do I go? I want to have books that at any point, I can go most anywhere, with fluency.

Q412, Just to clarify, if a ranger's Daily/Encounter power states:

[...]
2[W] + DEX MOD + WIS MOD, the [W] stands for weapon damage right? :smalltongue:, Bit of a 'noob' question.

Mando Knight
2009-06-08, 08:32 PM
A 410 What? From where? Will save? Check the edition, please!

A 411 This really isn't a RAW question... and there have only been two Monster Manuals released for 4E so far. Other than the Monster Manuals, there is also the Manual of the Planes, Draconomicon 1 (Chromatic Dragons), and Open Grave, as well as the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for monsters.

Player options (classes, races, powers) are primarily found in the Player's Handbook (1 and 2), as well as in the *Power Source* Power (Arcane and Martial are the only ones released so far) books. A few extra options are available in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, specifically the Dark Pact Warlock, the Swordmage, and Drow.

Items can be found mostly in the two Player's Handbooks and the Adventurer's Vault (a second one is coming out later), though some themed items can be found in the Draconomicon, the Manual of the Planes, and Arcane Power.

A 412 Yes. [W] refers to the weapon dice of the chosen weapon.

If you have a multiple-dice weapon (i.e. a 2d6 weapon) and a multiple-dice power (i.e. a 2[W] power), you multiply the increased numbers of dice together (total 4d6 in this case).

DizzyD
2009-06-09, 05:57 AM
Q413

Since Invigorating powers stack with temporary hit points from the Battlerager class feature, which temporary hit points go away first? and if temporary hit points cease to have a type once they are added how do you know whether to stack them or not?

If I gain 7 temp from battle rager and then 5 temp from invigorating and then get hit for 4 damage. If I then use another invigorating power do I increase to 13 thp even though one of those temporary hit points is previously from an invigorating power?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-06-09, 06:01 AM
A. 413

There is no such thing as different types of temp HP. Invigorating powers give you temp HP that stacks with temp HP you already have, but they are a single pool. An attack removes HP from that pool. If you perform an invigorating attack, you add to the pool. If another effect grants you temp HP, it substitutes the old pool for the new amount if that amount is bigger.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Colmarr
2009-06-09, 04:19 PM
A409 PHB 290. A grab ends if you move away from the creature you are grabbing (unless you use the "Move a grabbed target" action. You may take any other type of action without ending the grab, including attacking.

Note that you need to spend a minor action to sustain the grab on the turn after you initiate it.

Mattarias, King.
2009-06-11, 04:47 PM
Q. 414

Where do I find the Wealth-by-level table for 4e? I'm all too good at missing things, but this IS a simple question, I guess. :smallredface:

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-11, 06:40 PM
A. 414

There isn't one.

IIRC, you simply get a magic item of your Level +1, your Level, and your Level -1, plus gold equal to the cost of a magic item of your Level -1 which you can use to purchase minor magic items and mundane equipment. Unfortunately, I can't remember where this is stated, so if anybody cares to provide a page reference, feel free. :smallsmile:

Mattarias, King.
2009-06-11, 08:19 PM
Q. 415

:smallconfused: Then how do you figure out starting gear, mundane weapons, and stuff like that? Oh dear..

Edit so I don't spam: Wow, thanks so much for the swift reply! :smallsmile: Seems like a bit of an irksome system though. :smallconfused:

Grynning
2009-06-11, 08:22 PM
A 415
It's in the equipment section of the PHB for level 1 gear. As Killian said, at each susequent level you have gold equal to a magic item of your level -1 to buy that stuff.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-11, 09:21 PM
Edit so I don't spam: Wow, thanks so much for the swift reply! :smallsmile: Seems like a bit of an irksome system though. :smallconfused:

I haven't played too much, so I don't know how well the system really works. But, it is much easier to remember! :smallwink:

cupkeyk
2009-06-14, 04:39 AM
Q 416

Last Session, an Oni SoulEater(Open Grave) attacked our fighter who had zero surges left. The Oni drains surges and if this leaves the pc with zero surges, that creature dies. With zero surges left, is the fighter an illegal target for the Oni's Devour Soul Ability?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-06-14, 05:32 AM
Q 416

Last Session, an Oni SoulEater(Open Grave) attacked our fighter who had zero surges left. The Oni drains surges and if this leaves the pc with zero surges, that creature dies. With zero surges left, is the fighter an illegal target for the Oni's Devour Soul Ability?

A 416

No, I think it is an acceptable target. Not sure it is covered anywhere in RAW, though.

HMS Invincible
2009-06-14, 05:32 AM
Q417. Can A druid with wildshape morph into a creature that flies or breathes underwater? It seems a little strong, how does it work?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-06-14, 05:37 AM
A. 417

The basic shape change does not change the abilities of the druid, unless he has a power or feat that gives him extra abilities while in animal form. There is both powers and paragon classes that give a druid the power of flight. I do not recall any powers that allow him to breath underwater, though.

HMS Invincible
2009-06-17, 02:12 PM
Q418
How many people can flank an enemy? Is it always an even number? Is it possible for 3 people to flank an enemy without the distant advantage feat?

Gralamin
2009-06-17, 02:34 PM
A418

Flanking is Explained in detail on page 285 of the PHB.

The following is not an exclusive list of when 3 people can flank one creature.

A Large or larger creature arranged as follows:

.O..
.XX..
.XX..
.OO..
Where X is the large creature, and O's are PCs. In this situation everyone flanks it.
The Vexing Flanker Feat.
The Distant Advantage Feat.

Mattarias, King.
2009-06-17, 05:25 PM
Q. 419 Hey, me again. Just wondering, if I have the Dual Implement Spellcaster feat (AP 126) and Implement Expertise (PHB2), would I get the Expertise bonus AND the enhancement bonus from both implements? (For example, if I am wielding two +1 implements, would I gain a total of +4 to hit and +2 to damage?)

Douglas
2009-06-17, 05:37 PM
A419

No. Furthermore, the enhancement bonus from the offhand implement applies only to damage, not the attack roll. You would gain a total of +2 to hit and +2 to damage from the feats and enhancement bonuses.

Mattarias, King.
2009-06-17, 06:48 PM
Q. 420 Thank you. Another implement question though- If my implement is a weapon, would weapon-specific feats apply to my spells? For example, weapon focus or weapon expertise? (...Also, why wouldn't implement expertise apply to both of my implements?)

Edit so I don't spam: Oh, okay then. Thanks for that. So.. If I wield two implements with DIS, and take focused expertise, I would get... A.. +2 (? Or +4 if the wording on FE allows it to work on both weapons..) And a... +2 to damage? Man, I suck at math. :smallsigh:

Mando Knight
2009-06-17, 07:12 PM
A 420
According to the FAQ, Weapon Focus yes, Weapon Expertise no. However, if you want to save a feat and are sure as to which kind of weapon you want to use, Dragon 375 introduced the feat Focused Expertise, which allows you to select a single weapon (a la 3.5's Weapon Focus and related feats) and gain the expertise bonus whenever you use that weapon to attack, regardless of whether it is a Weapon or Implement power.

Douglas
2009-06-17, 07:25 PM
A420

For Weapon Focus, yes. For Weapon Expertise, no. The reason for the difference is that Weapon Focus's bonus works "with your chosen weapon group" while Weapon Expertise's benefit works "with any weapon power you use
with a weapon from that group". Note the works "weapon power" in the latter quote. That means only powers with the weapon keyword get the benefit. The former quote leaves the weapon as the only restriction, so it applies to everything you use that weapon for no matter how you happen to be using it.

Implement Expertise does not apply twice with Dual Implement Spellcaster because, even though the bonus is untyped and, by the wording of Dual Implement Spellcaster, you are wielding both implements at once, it is applied to the power, not the implement. "You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with any implement power you use through that type of implement." How many implements of the appropriate type you are using does not matter, only whether or not you are using any.

HMS Invincible
2009-06-19, 01:14 AM
Q421 Does Wizard's Escape let you avoid taking any damage by ending the attack? Arcane Power book, Utility 6.

Douglas
2009-06-19, 06:07 AM
A421

Yes, because it is an immediate interrupt. If it did not allow you to interrupt and avoid the attack it would be an immediate reaction instead.

HMS Invincible
2009-06-20, 10:36 PM
Q422. How does a multidamage type spell deal damage to a creature with resist? Say a fire and cold ball is casted on a creature resistant to fire, does it only take cold damage? I heard the multiple answers from it resists the fire half to it takes full damage.

cupkeyk
2009-06-20, 11:04 PM
Q422. How does a multidamage type spell deal damage to a creature with resist? Say a fire and cold ball is casted on a creature resistant to fire, does it only take cold damage? I heard the multiple answers from it resists the fire half to it takes full damage.

The crature has a resist value of increments of usually 5. So a fire and cold ball that dealt 30 damage will deal 10 fire damage (15-5 from resistance) and 15 cold to a creature with resist fire 5, like a level 1 tiefling.

Q423

Can a swordmage with weapon proficiency spiked shield benefit from both the shield bonus and the swordmage bonus for having nothing on his off hand(primary hand in this case)?

Douglas
2009-06-20, 11:23 PM
A422 correction

A power with multiple damage types does not have its damage divided into smaller portions each with a different damage type. Instead, it simply uses the lowest applicable resistance or (if the target has any) the highest applicable vulnerability. If the target is not vulnerable to any of the damage types in question, and there is at least one damage type involved that the target does not have resistance to, then no resistance applies. Effectively, the damage is all of whichever type of those specified would do the most damage to the target. The level 1 tiefling in cupkeyk's example would take all 30 damage because it does not have cold resistance.

This was changed by errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/updates).

Gralamin
2009-06-21, 01:02 AM
Q424
How does Prismatic Strike (EPG 56) Interact with Trusted Spellcasting (AP 135). Does it now deal full damage on each hit with full effect, and half damage on each miss with no special effect?

For Example, if I had Trusted Spellcasting (Prismatic Strike), and Hit with the Fortitude, and Will attack, but Missed with Reflex would it deal 1[W]+ Intelligence modifier and knock the target prone, an additional 1[W]+Intelligence Modifier Fire damage and decrease their attack rolls, and half of an additional 1[W] + Intelligence modifier?

Mattarias, King.
2009-06-24, 07:06 PM
Q 245 (Yes, me again...)

I'm about to DM a game, and I was wondering how do you go about doling out XP? For example, a level 1 encounter for 4 PCs has an XP total of 400. Does this mean each PC receives 400 XP?

Also, how do area and blast and other 'nukes' work? I roll one attack roll, and compare it to each enemy's relevant stats? What if I miss? Half damage?

...And am I supposed to ask only one question a post? :smallredface: If so, uh.. Sorry! :smalleek:

Edit: Ooh, thank you! :smallsmile: I feel more informed already! ...Wait, what about burst attacks? Like, the kind that emanate around you?

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-24, 07:26 PM
A. 245

Each monster is worth a certain amount of XP, and you divide that XP value evenly among the PCs.

As for Close and Area attacks, you make a seperate attack roll against each target, but roll damage only once. These powers deal half damage (or have lesser effects) on a miss ONLY if it is specifically noted in the power's description. Note that anything listed on the "Effect" line of a power occurs whether the attack hits or misses.

cupkeyk
2009-06-27, 11:05 PM
Q425

Do save ends effect end after the encounter regardless of whether the character saves or not?

(the background of this is a warlock/entrancing mystic with a -12 penalty to his level 19 spell, passionate betreyal: does he get a new pet everyday?)

Mauril Everleaf
2009-06-28, 10:42 PM
A 425 Well, practically. There is nothing in RAW (as far as I can remember) that says that saves explicitly end when an encounter finishes, but since youu can make a save every six seconds when out of combat, it doesn't take very long to get that magic 20 to auto-save.

For my groups, we consider all non-damaging (save ends) statuses to end at the end of an encounter. Since ongoing damage can eventually kill a character (which is a significant event) we make the player roll for a save. This is now RAW, but works rather well.

Douglas
2009-06-28, 11:09 PM
that magic 20 to auto-save.
Except that a natural 20 is not actually an automatic success on saving throws in 4e. It takes a -11 penalty to make it fail, but it can be done.

Mattarias, King.
2009-06-29, 08:06 PM
Q. 426

For saving throws, do you need to just roll at least a ten to succeed, no modifiers?

..Also, using a weapon two-handed.. What does it do?
I can't seem to find these rules..

Edit: Yowza! Thanks. I didn't know two-handing my longsword was that... Handy!

Mando Knight
2009-06-29, 08:28 PM
A 426a
Yes. A saving throw normally has no modifiers, and always succeeds on a 10 or higher (except for Death Saving Throws, which do nothing on 10-19, heal you on a 20, and work towards killing you on 1-9).

Several powers, magic items, feats, etc. are available to grant modifiers to saving throws. One such is Divine Mettle, a Paladin Channel Divinity power, which grants a saving throw with the Paladin's Charisma modifier as a bonus.

A 426b
Normally, nothing. There are specific times when wielding a weapon two-handed changes things.
1.) You may only wield a two-handed weapon with two hands if you wish to gain the proficiency bonus to hit. A 4E Monkey Grip might come out later. Small characters can't wield two-handed weapons.

2.) Certain weapons have the "versatile" keyword, which adds +1 to the damage roll when the weapon is wielded two-handed. Such weapons include the Longsword, Bastard Sword and the Battle axe. Small characters must wield such weapons in two hands unless stated otherwise, and do not get the damage bonus when doing so.

3.) Certain powers and feats (such as Power Attack) have different effects if you wield a weapon with two hands. Read the power or feat text to find out what they do.

FoE
2009-06-30, 12:36 PM
Q 427 I get additional encounter powers as I level up, correct?

Q 428 If that's the case and I have more than one encounter power, do I get to use them each between short/extended rests? Or do I get to use just one encounter power between short/extended rests?

Q 429 Is that the same for dailies?

@V: So noted, and done.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-06-30, 01:03 PM
Q I get additional encounter powers as I level up, correct?

Q If that's the case and I have more than one encounter power, do I get to use them each between short/extended rests? Or do I get to use just one encounter power between short/extended rests?

Q Is that the same for dailies?

A 427a
You get encounter powers at some levels (1, 3, 7, 11, etc)

A 427b&c
You can use all your powers whenever you want. Encounter and daily powers are expended once you use them, unless the text says otherwise. You recover those powers at extended rests. Encounter powers you also recover at short rests.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

PD: please remember to number your questions.

warrl
2009-07-01, 04:24 PM
Q 430 - offhand weapons

Assuming that you are capable of wielding a particular weapon off-hand, is the default that you get the same attack and damage rolls regardless of which hand you wield it in?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-01, 04:28 PM
A 430 - offhand weapons

Yes, there is no change to a power if you use a weapon in the off-hand, or even a normal weapon used in either hand. If you wield two weapons, you must choose which one is used in a power unless the power states you must use one of the two, or that you can use both.

Grey Wolf

Largo
2009-07-01, 05:25 PM
Q431: An avenger power says that if I hit an opponent I can shift 1 square then slide the opponent 1 square into the space I occupied. What happens if I hit him with a reach weapon? Does he move into the space I occupied (sliding 2 squares) or does he just move 1 square closer to where I was?

Colmarr
2009-07-01, 11:22 PM
A431 Assuming you have correctly quoted the power text, then I believe the slide would fail. You cannot achieve the mandated outcome (sliding 1 square into the square you occupied), so nothing would happen.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-01, 11:27 PM
A. 431

Check the power. Does it say Range weapon, or Range 1? If it is the second, the power cannot be used at reach, only against an enemy next to you. What power are you talking about?

Grey Wolf

Largo
2009-07-01, 11:28 PM
Q431a: Exact text: "Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage. You shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you occupied."

The power is Overwhelming Strike:

At-Will ✦ Divine, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-01, 11:29 PM
Q431a: Exact text: "Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier damage. You shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you occupied."

You failed to include the range of the power... or the name/page, so we could look it up...

GW

Largo
2009-07-01, 11:31 PM
Fixed. PHB2, pg. 35

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-01, 11:36 PM
Reading the power, I agree with Colmarr: at range <> 1, the power does not use that effect, since you cannot slide the enemy a single square into your old square (just like a power that pushes an enemy would not work if th enemy is against a wall, for example).

Grey Wolf

Gort
2009-07-02, 08:17 AM
In the 4th ed PHB there are 4 powers where they don't say the Zone persists but 'zone' is still men:smallcool:tioned indirectly in the Sustain section.

Hunger of Haldar Warlock 5
Evards Black Tentacles Wiz 19
Tendrils of Thuban Warlock 15
Astral Storm Cleric 29

In these cases is the effect for the zone listed in the Effect section of the power persisted if the power is sustained. Or does only the specific details in the text in the Sustain section happen?

More importantly how do you justify your decision?

Our gaming group is currently split 3:2 on this one.

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-02, 08:58 AM
A. 432

I'm not exactly sure what is the RAW in this case, but I'll give you my take on it.

All 4 of the powers you listed follow the same formula:
- Hit: ... ...
- Effect: Creates a zone until the end of your next turn.
- Sustain Minor: Do damage to creatures in the zone.

So the way I am reading this, the zone will last until the end of your next turn. Period. Meaning that you get one (and only one) chance to sustain it and deal some extra damage. It seems to be an indirect way of saying you can only sustain it for 1 round, since if you don't sustain it nothing happens.

PHB p.278 says that unless otherwise noted, you can sustain a power with a sustained duration for up to 5 minutes, which is probably what is causing the confusion. However, I believe these powers are worded the way they are explicitly to get around the normal rules for sustaining powers.

Since the effect of sustaining these powers is reliant on the zone, you effectively lose the ability to sustain them once the zone is gone. (Technically, by RAW you can keep spending the minor action to sustain the power, but when the zone disappears there will no longer be any valid targets for the sustained effect as they all require "targets in the zone".)

Huh, while typing this I managed to fully convince myself that this is actually the RAW on this matter. I think the duration of the zone is pretty explicitly not part of the sustain effect. I can understand if someone disagrees with me, so feel free to start a thread to resolve this issue in greater detail.

Mando Knight
2009-07-02, 10:20 AM
So the way I am reading this, the zone will last until the end of your next turn. Period. Meaning that you get one (and only one) chance to sustain it and deal some extra damage. It seems to be an indirect way of saying you can only sustain it for 1 round, since if you don't sustain it nothing happens.

PHB p.278 says that unless otherwise noted, you can sustain a power with a sustained duration for up to 5 minutes, which is probably what is causing the confusion. However, I believe these powers are worded the way they are explicitly to get around the normal rules for sustaining powers.

Since the effect of sustaining these powers is reliant on the zone, you effectively lose the ability to sustain them once the zone is gone. (Technically, by RAW you can keep spending the minor action to sustain the power, but when the zone disappears there will no longer be any valid targets for the sustained effect as they all require "targets in the zone".)

Incorrect. Sustained Durations, on page 278 of the PHB, states:

An effect that has a "sustain standard," a "sustain move," or a sustain minor" duration lasts as long as you sustain it. Starting on the turn after you create an effect, you sustain the effect by taking the indicated action: a standard action, a move action, or a minor action.This means that so long as you have sustained a power with the "sustain X" phrase, the power's effect remains.

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-02, 11:01 AM
Incorrect. Sustained Durations, on page 278 of the PHB, states:
This means that so long as you have sustained a power with the "sustain X" phrase, the power's effect remains.

Yeah but the sustain doesn't include the zone. That's the whole reason he asked the question.

Or, wait, are you saying that a power with a Sustain entry will sustain the Effect line even if it doesn't explicitly say that in the description?? If so, do powers which state "Sustain <Action>: The zone/wall/whatever persists." just saying so because there's nothing ELSE happening when they sustain the power?

Hmmm.... I'm confused again. :smallfrown:

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-02, 11:05 AM
Yeah but the sustain doesn't include the zone. That's the whole reason he asked the question.

Or, wait, are you saying that a power with a Sustain entry will sustain the Effect line even if it doesn't explicitly say that in the description?? If so, do powers which state "Sustain <Action>: The zone/wall/whatever persists." just saying so because there's nothing ELSE happening when they sustain the power?

Hmmm.... I'm confused again. :smallfrown:

Yes, that is exactly what it means. A power with a "sustain" line can be sustained until the end of the encounter, per the RAW quoted above. When WotC had nothing special to add, they just place "the area/wall/whatever persists". When sustaining actually changes things (like in those powers, where their effect is different after sustaining), they specify what happens in subsequent turns.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

HMS Invincible
2009-07-02, 10:43 PM
Q433.
Say you had a bag of holding and a rogue wanted to get in while having his head/face or a straw sticking out so he could breathe. Can he do this?

Mando Knight
2009-07-02, 10:51 PM
A. 433
RAW is silent on this matter. If your DM allows it, then fine.

cupkeyk
2009-07-02, 11:48 PM
Q434

Just a bit of a math question

In combat with i put a battle standard of healing. My bard healed the fighter with majestis word. He has a brooch of healing +1

majestic word heals the fgighter's surge value+1d6+1(from the brooch)

The battle standard heals both myself and the fighter two points (+1 from the brooch, as the battle standard's zone is counted as one of my powers, right?)

is this right?

We are arguing that the standard is putting more milage than intended for my brooch.

Magentawolf
2009-07-03, 09:14 AM
Q 435 -

Okay - Immediate Interrupts vs a Charge action.

Say we a Ranger with 'Weave Through the Fray' active, and he's charged by an enemy. The ranger, as an immediate interrupt when the enemy comes adjacent, shifts two squares away.

The enemy only moved 4 squares on the charge; can he move the additional two and make the attack, or is he stuck where he is and the attack lost?

Gralamin
2009-07-03, 10:38 AM
A434
Assuming you meant a Healer's Brooch:

Property: When you use a power that enables you or an ally to regain hit points, add the brooch’s enhancement bonus to the hit points gained.
Its not clear what exactly is needed to be considered to use a power, however the following argument can be made:

When you used your Standard, it only created a zone.
The zone is causing a regain of hit points, not a power you used.
Since you did not use a power to make the zone cause a regain of hit points, it does not gain the bonus.

However, since Use is poorly defined, this cannot be given a purely RAW answer (Unless there is a definition of use I missed somewhere).

A435
An Interrupt "Interrupts" the action that caused it. Since someone who Charges may move their entire speed and make an attack at the end, they may follow the ranger.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-03, 10:53 AM
A. 434

I would need the exact definition and/or page of the standard of healing, but since the brooch only boosts the healing power of the person both carrying and wearing the brooch, you are doing it wrong unless you have multiple copies:

Property: When you use a power that enables you or an ally to regain hit points, add the brooch’s enhancement bonus to the hit points gained.

If the bard is wearing it, then the first healing gets +1. If whomever cast the standard of healing is wearing it, then whomever gets the effect of the power gets +1 (although, as I say, I might change ideas when I see the text of that power). If the fighter is wearing it, no-one gets the +1 since the fighter didn't use a power.

A/Q 435

The action continues after the interrupt is solved, so if the hypothetical ranger moves 2 away and the charging creature still has move available, it can follow.

More interestingly, though, what happens if the ranger moves two towards the starting position of the charge? By charging rules, you are not allowed to back-track...

Grey Wolf

Gralamin
2009-07-03, 11:01 AM
A. 434

I would need the exact definition and/or page of the standard of healing, but since the brooch only boosts the healing power of the person both carrying and wearing the brooch, you are doing it wrong unless you have multiple copies:

If the bard is wearing it, then the first healing gets +1. If whomever cast the standard of healing is wearing it, then whomever gets the effect of the power gets +1 (although, as I say, I might change ideas when I see the text of that power). If the fighter is wearing it, no-one gets the +1 since the fighter didn't use a power.

Full text from the Compendium:

Power (Encounter • Healing, Zone): Standard Action. When you plant the battle standard in your space or an adjacent square, it creates a zone of healing energy in a close burst 5. Whenever you or an ally spends a healing surge while in the zone, you and all allies in the zone regain 1 hit point.
This effect lasts until the end of the encounter or until the battle standard is removed from the ground. Any character in or adjacent to a battle standard’s square can remove it from the ground as a standard action.

A/Q 435

The action continues after the interrupt is solved, so if the hypothetical ranger moves 2 away and the charging creature still has move available, it can follow.

More interestingly, though, what happens if the ranger moves two towards the starting position of the charge? By charging rules, you are not allowed to back-track...

Grey Wolf
They would stop moving and make an attack, because you would be in reach. If you had three or more though, this would make the charge impossible.
IE:

. r .
. c .
. . .

If you shift two in any direction, then you end up in its reach. If you shift 3, you can end up behind it and out of reach.